Thread: Don't believe everything you read

Xtreme Enthusiast

Don't believe everything you read

x-surface-dont-believe-everything-you-read

I am a gamer. I don't work for Microsoft.

I, like most other gamers, am sick of seeing endless rumours and speculation citing ?anonymous sources? or ?insiders? with no evidence, no proof, no guarantee that they?ve been fact-checked or can be relied on.

The games industry is the only one I can think of that will quite happily publish guesswork as news. So-called ?analysts? are no different - they make money by guessing. They?re about as much use as a ?source? as I am.
    Lian Dream: i7 2600k @ 4.7Ghz, Asus Maximus IV Gene-z, MSI N680GTX Twin Frozr III, 8GB 2x4GB Mushkin Ridgeback, Crucial M4 128GB x2, Plextor PX-755SA, Seasonic 750 X, Lian-li
    HTPC: E5300@3.8, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, Gigabyte 5750 Silentcell, Mushkin 2GBx2, 2x 500gb Maxtor Raid 1, 300gb Seagate, 74gb Raptor, Seasonic G series 550 Gold, Silverstone LC16m

Laptop: XPS15z Crucial M4
    Nikon D700 ~ Nikkor 17-35 F2.8 ~ Nikkor 50mm F1.8
    Lian Dream Work Log
    my smugmug
    Heatware

I am Xtreme
    How am I supposed to believe this article after seeing such a title?

Good article, though. We've seen such stuff before.
    Last edited by zalbard; 01-23-2013 at 02:13 PM.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Addict
    Glad I can't read!

Xtremely Bad Overclocker
    HaHa how easy one can fool so many ppl at once - pretty interesting "experiment" and well played
    | '12 IvyBridge - "ticks different"... | AwardFabrik IvyBridge round I by SoF | AwardFabrik IvyBridge round II by angoholic & stummerwinter
    | '11 The SandyBridge madness... | AwardFabrik / Team LDK OC-Season 2011/2012 Opening Event
    | '10 Gulftown LaunchDay OC round up @ASUS RIIE | 3DM05 2x GPU WR LIVE @Cebit 2010 @ASUS MIIIE | SandyBridge arrived @ASUS P8P67

| '09 Foxconn Avenger | E8600 | Foxconn A79A-S | Phenom II 940 BE | LaunchDay Phenom II OC round up
    | '08 7.438s 1m LN2 | AMD 1m WR LN2 | 2nd AOCM | Phenom II teasing
    | '07 100% E2140 | 106.5% E2160 | 100% E4500 | 103% E4400 | 5508 MHZ E6850 | 7250 MHZ P4 641 126.5% by SoF and AwardFabrik Crew all on Gigabyte DS3P c? and LN2...
    | '06 3800+ X2 Manchester 0531TPEW noHS 3201MHZ c? | 3200+ Venice noHS 3279MHZ c? | Opteron 148 0536CABYE 3405MHZ c? all on Gigabyte K8NXP-SLI compressorcooled

| '05 3500+[NC], 3000+[W], 2x 3200+[W], 3500+[NC], 3200+[V] 0516GPDW

Quote Originally Posted by saaya
    sof pulled a fermi on all of us !!!

This is why I don't believe anything I read without 100% solid evidence - I draw my own conclusions based on current and past trends, then sit back and see if I'm right. Usually I am or very close. I don't deal in speculation and rumor mill.

"Prowler"
    X570 Tomahawk | R7 3700X | 2x16GB Klevv BoltX @ 3600MHz CL18 | Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil | Xonar DX 7.1 | 2TB Barracuda | 256GB & 512GB Asgard NVMe drives | 2x DVD & Blu-Ray opticals | EVGA Supernova 1000w G2

Cooling:

6x 140mm LED fans, 1x 200mm LED fan | Modified CoolerMaster Masterliquid 240

Asrock Z77 thread! | Asrock Z77 Extreme6 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4/6 Pro3 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Review | Asrock Z68 Gen3 Thread | 8GB G-Skill review | TK 2.ZERO homepage | P5Q series mBIOS thread
    Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

Xtremeish
    To be frank about this, hardware/software news sites that post information that we read on a daily basis are driven mostly/only by page-hits and the commercials on their site. Why is it so strange that they might post information about different manufacturer's upcoming products even if the information is not solid? It's not like people will suffer for it, nor a large chance that anyones lives will be affected by it.
    There is a saying for this: "No news is bad news."

There are sites who try at least and do this better, but often they are financed differently or their site is some kind of commercial by itself. Like for example www.canonrumors.com
    Aber ja, naturlich Hans nass ist, er steht unter einem Wasserfall - James May
    Hardware: Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H, Intel i5 4670k @ 4GHz, Crucial DDR3 BallistiX, Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II, Corsair HX 650W, Samsung 830 256GB, Silverstone Precision -|- Cooling: Noctua NH-C12P SE14

Xtreme Guru
    Very interesting article. Seems like everyone acted like a dog with a bone in their mouth and ran with it.

Unfortunately, this is the new face of socially-driven journalism.

I am Xtreme
    Well tbh everyone who is a regular here already knew that, its the same for hardware "rumors", 99% are complete BS or at best educated guesses, I remember the time when posting links to the inq here was frowned upon.

Funny how he calls the only person who was smart enough called bull "repugnant".
    Harsh as he might have been, an actual fake source deserves bashing.
    In this case it was an experiment by an otherwise respectable person, but what he should realise is that he was playing the character of a childish loser, and a reaction that someone might have towards such a person should be understood.
    I have much more respect for the impolite Rob Crossley than every well mannered idiot who reported the news without checking.

I've just found out Crossley has published screenshots of their conversation, which went exactly as I thought and I'm not surprised if after the last reply Crossley went on to offend the guy, I would have done the same.

https://twitter.com/Rob_Crossley_/st...768002/photo/1
    https://twitter.com/Rob_Crossley_/st...322176/photo/1
    https://twitter.com/Rob_Crossley_/st...353152/photo/1
    https://twitter.com/Rob_Crossley_/st...847363/photo/1

A fake source calls my work bogus and even pretends to be treated with respect? Are you effing kidding me?

c[_]
    Are you crossley?

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JaD View Post
    I've just found out Crossley has published screenshots of their conversation, which went exactly as I thought and I'm not surprised if after the last reply Crossley went on to offend the guy, I would have done the same.

https://twitter.com/Rob_Crossley_/st...768002/photo/1
    https://twitter.com/Rob_Crossley_/st...322176/photo/1
    https://twitter.com/Rob_Crossley_/st...353152/photo/1
    https://twitter.com/Rob_Crossley_/st...847363/photo/1

A fake source calls my work bogus and even pretends to be treated with respect? Are you effing kidding me?
    Because his "work" is bogus?
    Gigabyte z68 UD3
    2600k @ stock
    8Gb G Skill
    2x eVGA GTX 680 @ stock
    Intel 320 80Gb
    Intel 320 120Gb x2
    Intel 320 160Gb x2

Quote Originally Posted by schoolslave View Post
    Because his "work" is bogus?
    Maybe it is, I wouldn't know really as today was the first time in years I'd heard of the website, but if he was refusing to publish what that guy was reporting, I'd guess the rest of what gets published there must have received some sort of confirmation, which makes it at least a little more legit than others and definitely doesn't deserve to be judged by someone who at that time was playing the role of a FUD generator. All I'm saying is that it's understandable that the CHARACTER got sent to hell. Not the actual person tho, of course.

c[_]
    Maybe it is, I wouldn't know really as today was the first time in years I'd heard of the website, but if he was refusing to publish what that guy was reporting, I'd guess the rest of what gets published there must have received some sort of confirmation, which makes it at least a little more legit than others and definitely doesn't deserve to be judged by someone who at that time was playing the role of a FUD generator. All I'm saying is that it's understandable that the CHARACTER got sent to hell. Not the actual person tho, of course.
    So false information cant be called false by someone who is not reputable?

Oh gosh... of course it can. That's not the point, but I guess you just like arguing for the sake of it, because you still have some kind of beef with me.
    I think the point of how silly it is for a bogus source to complain about bogus news on the sole website that refused to publish HIS bogus news is clear enough. If you disagree, there isn't much that I can do; we don't follow the same logic and don't think alike, no big deal. I don't really need to keep defending anybody.

Plot twist:
    the whole debacle was a viral marketing scheme from CVG to look more legit than other websites.
    Last edited by JaD; 01-27-2013 at 02:46 PM. Reason: IT'S A JOKE.

Xtreme Guru
    Plot twist:
    the whole debacle was a viral marketing scheme from CVG to look more legit than other websites.
    Proof? Methinks not.

Xtreme Mentor
    Original post by x-surface is just stupid this thread by extension is just that. The first one to pick up the works of x-surface do mention a "tipster" if others do or not i dont know did not check.

There are two ways journalism is driven in this new world one is socially and the other is by companies. Each side has bad and good things, company driven sites have early hardware and peeks inside the new hardware "Anandtech" but is the companies pet where as socially driven sites are lot less accurate but can have real juicy stuff if the facts are correct "BSN/SA"

All in all its always true never to believe everything you read/hear/see/think/etc always use a large portion of your brain to think about it first.
    Coming Soon

Quote Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
    Proof? Methinks not.
    It was a joke...

c[_]
    Oh gosh... of course it can. That's not the point, but I guess you just like arguing for the sake of it, because you still have some kind of beef with me.
    I think the point of how silly it is for a bogus source to complain about bogus news on the sole website that refused to publish HIS bogus news is clear enough. If you disagree, there isn't much that I can do; we don't follow the same logic and don't think alike, no big deal. I don't really need to keep defending anybody.
    Nothing against you, just your poorly worded statements.

You're making one party out to be better than the other when you dont know all the facts, thats all. That said I dont know all the facts either because he hasnt responded and pointed out to crossley what was fake before, unless he was just ribbing on the "rumor" tag alone. Possible, and I kind of support that, but kind of dont (its also a methodology thing).

so.. dont make one out to smell better than the other yet

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post

Unfortunately, this is the new face of socially-driven journalism.
    Yep. And it's about as accurate as pretty much anything that comes out of todays Mainstream Media. NBC is the absolute worst. But what do you expect from a company owned by General Electric whose CEO is Jeffery Immelt.... Obama's Jobs Czar.

In the end it all boils down to the breakdown of traditional values such as hard work and honesty. I may sound like an old guy but i'm only 35, and what astounds me is how the younger generation these days far overestimates their own self worth. They think they deserve a trophy for just showing up or to get paid on a level that took me 10 years to reach... and I at least had experience .

I recently saw a study focusing on undergrads at I believe 1000 colleges nationwide, and these self absorbed brats had the audacity to overwhelmingly claim that they were "the greatest generation". LoL! I almost fell out of my chair when i read that.

here is the British take on the study: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ely-study.html

All this has to do with the topic at hand. Any honest, hard working, and ethical journalist (do they exist anymore?) would have done their do diligence and confirm or deny such a story. Instead, they'd rather just sit back and expect the stories to come to them, just like the young idiots who think they're the greatest generation.

If anyone doesn't understand what i'm talking about, take a look at this photograph and ask yourself the question: What have I done to make myself so great?

"If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no resource left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government"
    -- Alexander Hamilton

Xtremeish
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew LB View Post
    If anyone doesn't understand what i'm talking about, take a look at this photograph and ask yourself the question: What have I done to make myself so great?
    I think we all agree with what you say Andrew, but I am sure you can find a better example of human greatness other than war... irony of this is that the people who started this had the same issue you mention, difference being that they had a ton of political power to abuse. What if Hitler understood that Jews aren't "untermensch", but just as good people as the Germans, or Stalin understood that people only respected him out of fear.

People who give/gave a shi*:

Doctors without borders

Norman Borlaug

Nurses and doctors in general.

Anthony Atala
    http://www.ted.com/talks/anthony_ata...ng_tissue.html

and the list goes on of people who has made or will certainly make a great impact on many peoples lives. Intention is not to undermine soldiers bravery, but to rather underline that humans offer qualities much more impressive than being an efficient weapon.
    Aber ja, naturlich Hans nass ist, er steht unter einem Wasserfall - James May
    Hardware: Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H, Intel i5 4670k @ 4GHz, Crucial DDR3 BallistiX, Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II, Corsair HX 650W, Samsung 830 256GB, Silverstone Precision -|- Cooling: Noctua NH-C12P SE14