Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have a Wi-Fi-Enabled Phone? Stores Are Tracking You

I am Xtreme

Have a Wi-Fi-Enabled Phone? Stores Are Tracking You

This is a four page article.

Remember to leave your wifi off

source

. Retail stores will soon be able to follow you around the store ? or even outside the store if you just walk by without entering ? using the WiFi antenna built into your smartphone.

How would they do it? Pretty simple really. When you come within range of a properly configured WiFi access point, it can record the wireless MAC address of your phone ? a unique 12-digit number. Every time you pass by, that AP can log that number. If you enter that store or caf? every day, it will soon have a detailed record of when you (or at least your phone) entered and departed.

From the retailer?s perspective, this information can be a virtual gold mine. For the first time they can easily track where customers go after they enter the store. They can identify repeat customers and first timers. They can find out whether shoppers are spending a lot of time in the toy aisle but rarely visit sporting goods or home appliances, and reconfigure the store layout accordingly. They can share data across different locations ? to gauge whether the same customers spend more time in their discount outlets or shop at the locations closer to major freeway exits. They can even track people who walk by the store every day but never go in, or if more people enter after a window display is changed.

Once the retailer has tied your MAC address to your identity, all kinds of fun things can happen. The store can send you discount coupons to entice you into aisles you rarely visit. If they have your phone number, the store could send you a text when you walk by, trying to lure you in. A retailer can marry that data to your online activities to further analyze who you are and how it can get you to spend more time and money in its stores, or sell that information to a third party.

And, assuming the retailer stores that data, it can hand it over to any legal authority with the appropriate paperwork.

But if you do mind that stores can follow you around, there isn?t much you can do about it. You can of course turn off your phone?s WiFi when in public. I don?t know about you, but the only time I remember to do that is when I get a low battery warning. You can always pay cash (at least, until that practice becomes a quaint remnant of our pre-digital past). You can opt out as noted above, but you?ll need to do it for every mobile device you own and with every analytics company out there. (Had you heard of Euclid Analytics before you read this? I hadn?t. Are there others? Beats me.) In that way it?s much like opting out of Web tracking ? an onerous chore where the burden is entirely on the person being tracked.

So the question for today is: Who?s minding the store when the store is minding you?

Asus Z9PE-D8 WS with 64GB of registered ECC ram.|Dell 30" LCD 3008wfp:7970 video card

LSI series raid controller
    SSDs: Crucial C300 256GB
    Standard drives: Seagate ST32000641AS & WD 1TB black
    OSes: Linux and Windows x64

Xtreme Addict
    Or just have your Wi-Fi turned off?

-PB
    -Project Sakura-
    Intel i7 860 @ 4.0Ghz, Asus Maximus III Formula, 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws X F3 (@ 1600Mhz), 2x GTX 295 Quad SLI
    2x 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 RAID 0, OCZ ZX 1000W, NZXT Phantom (Pink), Dell SX2210T Touch Screen, Windows 8.1 Pro

Koolance RP-401X2 1.1 (w/ Swiftech MCP35X), XSPC EX420, XSPC X-Flow 240, DT Sniper, EK-FC 295s (w/ RAM Blocks), Enzotech M3F Mosfet+NB/SB

I always leave my wifi AND bluetooth off unless I'm using it, otherwise it just sucks down battery. And battery life on a smartphone tends to be at a premium.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Member
    Hmm, what about generating a few hundred thousand MAC addresses out in the parking lot. That might be fun.
    i7-3930K
    GA-x79-UD3
    Corsair H100
    4x2GB F3-12800CL6
    X-Fi Xtreme Music
    EVGA GTX 470
    Pioneer BDR-207DBK
    2X128GB Samsung 830's
    3XWD2002FYPS
    Corsair TX850
    Dell U2412M

Wanna look under my kilt?
    Another reason i'm glad I have an old-school phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Xtreme Addict
    Most Smartphone will auto disable wifi when you go out of your access point ( home work you have configured for it ) when they pass on 3g/4g data or when you lock the phone etc.. Personally i disable or let auto disable anything who is not used. ( like said upper wifi draw extremely fast battery down, even if not transfer data ( by trying connect, to access point and research them ) . ( my S2 with JellyBean ( official leak ), disable directly the wifi when it is "locked". )

Now, dont worry, between GPS, data access, etc, there's allready many possibilities to track every moves we do.

And i can allready list a tons of tools used for it without even think use a phone wifi... Credit cards, cards of reduction ( the members cards of x labels ), ( in general you pay before get out, and they get the frequency of when you come in the "house" or not. what you buy, for how much, when you do it, etc etc
    Last edited by Lanek; 01-23-2013 at 01:13 AM.
    CPU: - I7 4930K (EK Supremacy )
    GPU: - 2x AMD HD7970 flashed GHZ bios ( EK Acetal Nickel Waterblock H2o)
    Motherboard: Asus x79 Deluxe
    RAM: G-skill Ares C9 2133mhz 16GB
    Main Storage: Samsung 840EVO 500GB / 2x Crucial RealSSD C300 Raid0

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by K404 View Post
    Another reason i'm glad I have an old-school phone.
    Yeah, because turning off wi-fi is sooo hard
    Quote Originally Posted by iddqd View Post
    Not to be outdone by rival ATi, nVidia's going to offer its own drivers on EA Download Manager.
    X2 555 @ B55 @ 4050 1.4v, NB @ 2700 1.35v Fuzion V1
    Gigabyte 890gpa-ud3h v2.1
    HD6950 2GB swiftech MCW60 @ 1000mhz, 1.168v 1515mhz memory
    Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1866 cas 9 @ 1800 8.9.8.27.41 1T 110ns 1.605v
    C300 64GB, 2X Seagate barracuda green LP 2TB, Essence STX, Zalman ZM750-HP
    DDC 3.2/petras, PA120.3 ek-res400, Stackers STC-01,
    Dell U2412m, G110, G9x, Razer Scarab

this is just an extension of the store card (be it a credit card or a reward card).
    hell, here you can have your Tesco club card on your phone so you swipe the on screen bar code. that gives them info about your phone.
    I'm pretty screwed for personal info with Tesco anyway as i used to work for them...

i do not like the idea that my data is there gold mine but that's the day and age we live in now.
    I purposefully have not installed the above app as i knew it was just a data mining piece of software.

also, using WiFi for data uses a lot less power than 3G and 4G. i just don't use free wifi services in coffee shops and the like.... unless my company is paying for it
    Bring on the motorbikes!

Wanna look under my kilt?
    Quote Originally Posted by eXa View Post
    Yeah, because turning off wi-fi is sooo hard
    How many people buy a smartphone for features like that, only to turn it off when they're out shopping? Isn't it the whole point.... to be connected and updated....everywhere you go?
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Xtreme Addict
    There's plenty more of this tech coming. I've done some engineering work for this industry.

Good news is they have no desire to associate you personally with this data (at least the companies I've done work for) . They just want to measure audience, gather data for conversion rates, and analyze trends, etc..
    Last edited by CrazyNutz; 01-23-2013 at 06:44 AM.
    Sandy Bridge 2500k @ 4.5ghz 1.28v | MSI p67a-gd65 B3 Mobo | Samsung ddr3 8gb |
    Swiftech apogee drive II | Coolgate 120| GTX660ti w/heat killer gpu x| Seasonic x650 PSU

QX9650 @ 4ghz | P5K-E/WIFI-AP Mobo | Hyperx ddr2 1066 4gb | EVGA GTX560ti 448 core FTW @ 900mhz | OCZ 700w Modular PSU |
    DD MC-TDX CPU block | DD Maze5 GPU block | Black Ice Xtreme II 240 Rad | Laing D5 Pump

Xtreme XIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    I always leave my wifi AND bluetooth off unless I'm using it, otherwise it just sucks down battery. And battery life on a smartphone tends to be at a premium.
    +1 , i do the same , i only turn it on when i need to use it , otherwise it will eat up battery life.

-150c Club Member
    Yes logging of Mac's...
    But the speculation that they can trace you around the store? Bull.
    Triangulation would require three such systems that are linked and precise measurement/setup.
    And no one cares that much.

If you have a cooling question or concern feel free to contact me.

Ugh. I hate this stuff. I remember getting popup ads from the Amex app back when I had an iphone because i left the GPS on and they wanted me to know that I was near a damn California Pizza Kitchen where I could use my Amex card and get cash back or something. It was the first time that had happened and I was dumbfounded. I hate that companies are finding ways to use my phone to advertise to me (or, in this case, track me so that they can better advertise to me at a later date). Sure I can just turn off wifi etc, but it's a pain for someone who has gone to great lengths to avoid giving out personal data.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I can see maybe some larger stores implementing some data fetching, but I really can't see most average stores implementing something like this.
    Last edited by Jokester_wild; 01-23-2013 at 10:08 AM.
    Lian Dream: i7 2600k @ 4.7Ghz, Asus Maximus IV Gene-z, MSI N680GTX Twin Frozr III, 8GB 2x4GB Mushkin Ridgeback, Crucial M4 128GB x2, Plextor PX-755SA, Seasonic 750 X, Lian-li
    HTPC: E5300@3.8, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, Gigabyte 5750 Silentcell, Mushkin 2GBx2, 2x 500gb Maxtor Raid 1, 300gb Seagate, 74gb Raptor, Seasonic G series 550 Gold, Silverstone LC16m

Laptop: XPS15z Crucial M4
    Nikon D700 ~ Nikkor 17-35 F2.8 ~ Nikkor 50mm F1.8
    Lian Dream Work Log
    my smugmug
    Heatware

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Mid UK. Lift a few rocks, eventually you will find me.
    If you don't care about warranty and can afford the loss in the case of failure... Root the device and update the hosts file.

On an unrooted device one should be able to turn off background data transfers, location awareness, the GPS and Wifi and have the ability to stop use of the phone module for data connections.

If not get another phone.
    Fun Box: Asus P8Z68-V GEN3++Corsair AX850++i5 2500k@4.5Ghz-1.272v++Corsair A50++2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance++MSI R7970 Lightning++Audigy2 Plat-EX++TBS 6280 DVB-T2 tuner++256Gb OCZ Vertex 4.500Gb Caviar Black.500Gb Seagate Barracuda++Sony AD7240s++Lian-Li PC-60++Linux Mint/Win 7++Asus P238Q

Work Box: Gigabyte H61MA-DV3++Corsair HX620++i5 3450@stock++2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance++120Gb OCZ Agility 3++Linux Mint

Quantum theory in a nutshell: It's so small we don't know where it is, it could be here, it could be there.

Just 'cos it's legal don't make it right.

Quote Originally Posted by hazardous View Post
    Ugh. I hate this stuff. I remember getting popup ads from the Amex app back when I had an iphone because i left the GPS on and they wanted me to know that I was near a damn California Pizza Kitchen where I could use my Amex card and get cash back or something. It was the first time that had happened and I was dumbfounded. I hate that companies are finding ways to use my phone to advertise to me (or, in this case, track me so that they can better advertise to me at a later date). Sure I can just turn off wifi etc, but it's a pain for someone who has gone to great lengths to avoid giving out personal data.
    I've been told by my bank that they have an app. Uh, no thanks. I have absolutely zero financial access via my phone on purpose. Hello security risk! Phone get lost or stolen? Now someone is that much closer to accessing your bank account or credit card. No thanks. Then add in what you just said and that makes me want it even less. Popup ads on my phone because I'm near somewhere they want me to spend money? Forget it.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Addict
    Who cares though.. I do like a personalized shopping experience.
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
    G-Skill Ripjaws X 16Gb - 2133Mhz
    Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme
    i7 2600k @ 4.4Ghz
    Sapphire 7970 OC 1.2Ghz
    Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 128Gb

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitriman View Post
    Who cares though.. I do like a personalized shopping experience.
    +1 exactly.

This is good for consumers and the companies alike. You get a better shopping experience, and the shops do not wast money on marketing that does not work, possibly saving the consumer money too.
    Sandy Bridge 2500k @ 4.5ghz 1.28v | MSI p67a-gd65 B3 Mobo | Samsung ddr3 8gb |
    Swiftech apogee drive II | Coolgate 120| GTX660ti w/heat killer gpu x| Seasonic x650 PSU

QX9650 @ 4ghz | P5K-E/WIFI-AP Mobo | Hyperx ddr2 1066 4gb | EVGA GTX560ti 448 core FTW @ 900mhz | OCZ 700w Modular PSU |
    DD MC-TDX CPU block | DD Maze5 GPU block | Black Ice Xtreme II 240 Rad | Laing D5 Pump

Screw the personalized shopping experience

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNutz View Post
    +1 exactly.

This is good for consumers and the companies alike. You get a better shopping experience, and the shops do not wast money on marketing that does not work, possibly saving the consumer money too.
    Because you think big companies or supermarket are thinking to you wishing you a good life... they just dont care.... they think to them, not of you.. they dont know who you are, and they dont care, they just want your MONEY:
    CPU: - I7 4930K (EK Supremacy )
    GPU: - 2x AMD HD7970 flashed GHZ bios ( EK Acetal Nickel Waterblock H2o)
    Motherboard: Asus x79 Deluxe
    RAM: G-skill Ares C9 2133mhz 16GB
    Main Storage: Samsung 840EVO 500GB / 2x Crucial RealSSD C300 Raid0

NooB MOD
    Quote Originally Posted by n00b 0f l337 View Post
    Yes logging of Mac's...
    But the speculation that they can trace you around the store? Bull.
    Triangulation would require three such systems that are linked and precise measurement/setup.
    And no one cares that much.
    Not entirely true, they just have to have APs set up in such a way that you are only within range of one at a time. Sure, it won't give an EXACT location but it can be good enough.
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Intel is about to get athlon'd
    Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Oj101 View Post
    Not entirely true, they just have to have APs set up in such a way that you are only within range of one at a time. Sure, it won't give an EXACT location but it can be good enough.

Next thing you know they will have cameras up recording every movement in the stores!
    Lian Dream: i7 2600k @ 4.7Ghz, Asus Maximus IV Gene-z, MSI N680GTX Twin Frozr III, 8GB 2x4GB Mushkin Ridgeback, Crucial M4 128GB x2, Plextor PX-755SA, Seasonic 750 X, Lian-li
    HTPC: E5300@3.8, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, Gigabyte 5750 Silentcell, Mushkin 2GBx2, 2x 500gb Maxtor Raid 1, 300gb Seagate, 74gb Raptor, Seasonic G series 550 Gold, Silverstone LC16m

Laptop: XPS15z Crucial M4
    Nikon D700 ~ Nikkor 17-35 F2.8 ~ Nikkor 50mm F1.8
    Lian Dream Work Log
    my smugmug
    Heatware

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by K404 View Post
    How many people buy a smartphone for features like that, only to turn it off when they're out shopping? Isn't it the whole point.... to be connected and updated....everywhere you go?
    Everybody i know, whats the point of keeping the wifi on when you are not using it? It only takes a few seconds to turn it on\off. Are you constantly running around with gps turned on too? Just because i have a feature on my phone, i dont HAVE to it use all the time. I do use thoose features, but when i do i just enable it when i actually need them.

If they actually want random advertising on theire phone when out shopping, they can ofc just leave it on.

Anyways, my reply was to the silly notion that a oldschool phone would be better because the lack of wifi, when it takes 2 clicks or so on the screen to turn of wifi when you are not using it. (drop down menu -> wifi button)
    Quote Originally Posted by iddqd View Post
    Not to be outdone by rival ATi, nVidia's going to offer its own drivers on EA Download Manager.
    X2 555 @ B55 @ 4050 1.4v, NB @ 2700 1.35v Fuzion V1
    Gigabyte 890gpa-ud3h v2.1
    HD6950 2GB swiftech MCW60 @ 1000mhz, 1.168v 1515mhz memory
    Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1866 cas 9 @ 1800 8.9.8.27.41 1T 110ns 1.605v
    C300 64GB, 2X Seagate barracuda green LP 2TB, Essence STX, Zalman ZM750-HP
    DDC 3.2/petras, PA120.3 ek-res400, Stackers STC-01,
    Dell U2412m, G110, G9x, Razer Scarab

NooB MOD
    I had something strange happen today. Has anybody ever had adverts sent via Bluetooth? I was in the mall, and they had two Alfas parked inside with billboards and flyers around them. I'd forgotten my Bluetooth on, and as I walked past my phone asked if I wanted to receive a file. I thought someone had accidentally sent to the wrong phone (my phone is still called GT-I9100) so thought nothing of it, until I walked past again and once more my phone tried to receive a file. I walked past several more times just to be sure, and true as Bob every time I walked past I got a notification asking if I wanted to receive a file
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Intel is about to get athlon'd
    Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

Xtreme Addict
    Google does much worse with our cookies yet nobody seems to care...
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
    G-Skill Ripjaws X 16Gb - 2133Mhz
    Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme
    i7 2600k @ 4.4Ghz
    Sapphire 7970 OC 1.2Ghz
    Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 128Gb

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast