Page 40 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3037383940414243 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 1214

Thread: Geforce Titan - GK110 will be a consumer part

Xtreme Addict
    I think the scariest thing about this card that was revealed recently is that this card isn't limited edition which could have massive price consequences in the future. If this card continues to be sold at 1000 dollars and the price never falls, what we could see happen is a massive price jump next generation in overall prices. The reason for this is we saw what AMD did this generation when they had better performance than Nvidia(pricing a card higher than a gtx 580). They might be in a better position to do it this time because I think the gaming evolved programs is going to increase their presence and marketshare.

Of course I don't think AMD would price their cards at 1000 dollars as that would kill volume but 700 would be possible and the 88x0 series in the 500 range(as Nvidia has done with gk104). Titan makes any future chips look like a value and when Tahiti was released, it was only a good value compared to Nvidia's flagship, it lost in price/performance compared to other cards. If AMD does this again(and it would be stupid not to if a market can support a 1000 dollar card), Nvidia will raise the price stakes as well when their cards come later.

On the other hand, if Nvidia card comes out first, they could again mark up GM104, which will likely perform superior to titan and price it at 700 dollars and thus appear to be a good value. AND again release GM110/100 at 1000 dollars. No way should a none limited edition card come out at 1000 dollars. I would rather Nvidia cripple FP64 performance because this might be a big thing that keeps Titan prices high.

I hope this experiment of Nvidia testing the pricing market fails and we see a much cheaper titan.

If Titan maintains demands for 1000 dollars cards for a significant period of time, then Nvidia will probably raise prices of their Maxwell parts and AMD will follow suit or vice versa.

A price jump is guaranteed next generation if titan succeeds at its current price point. The reason is this, would either company price their cards at 500 dollars, if their cards performed better than Titan which costs $1000 which has sold relatively well even with its crazy price tag.

Titans demand and pricing need to fall to ensure affordable graphic cards in the future.
    Core i7 920@ 4.66ghz(H2O)
    6gb OCZ platinum
    4870x2 + 4890 in Trifire
    2*640 WD Blacks
    750GB Seagate.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by tajoh111 View Post
    I think the scariest thing about this card that was revealed recently is that this card isn't limited edition which could have massive price consequences in the future. If this card continues to be sold at 1000 dollars and the price never falls, what we could see happen is a massive price jump next generation in overall prices. The reason for this is we saw what AMD did this generation when they had better performance than Nvidia(pricing a card higher than a gtx 580). They might be in a better position to do it this time because I think the gaming evolved programs is going to increase their presence and marketshare.

Of course I don't think AMD would price their cards at 1000 dollars as that would kill volume but 700 would be possible and the 88x0 series in the 500 range(as Nvidia has done with gk104). Titan makes any future chips look like a value and when Tahiti was released, it was only a good value compared to Nvidia's flagship, it lost in price/performance compared to other cards. If AMD does this again(and it would be stupid not to if a market can support a 1000 dollar card), Nvidia will raise the price stakes as well when their cards come later.

On the other hand, if Nvidia card comes out first, they could again mark up GM104, which will likely perform superior to titan and price it at 700 dollars and thus appear to be a good value. AND again release GM110/100 at 1000 dollars. No way should a none limited edition card come out at 1000 dollars. I would rather Nvidia cripple FP64 performance because this might be a big thing that keeps Titan prices high.

I hope this experiment of Nvidia testing the pricing market fails and we see a much cheaper titan.

If Titan maintains demands for 1000 dollars cards for a significant period of time, then Nvidia will probably raise prices of their Maxwell parts and AMD will follow suit or vice versa.

A price jump is guaranteed next generation if titan succeeds at its current price point. The reason is this, would either company price their cards at 500 dollars, if their cards performed better than Titan which costs $1000 which has sold relatively well even with its crazy price tag.

Titans demand and pricing need to fall to ensure affordable graphic cards in the future.
    One word... volume.
    There is a BIG difference in moving millions of cards at <$500 and moving a few ten thousand cards at $1k.
    Add in the fact that this card is in a unique situation, which you pointed out, as far as target market; ultra-enthusiast(multi-gpu/multi-monitor) and semi-professional(FP64).
    I think of it, as one reviewer mentioned, as a copy of Intel's EE. There really is no point to it's price other than it is the top bin you can get and in Titan's case the cheapest FP64.

Edit- I think as long as Nvidia keeps designing these heavy compute orientated +500mm2 GPUs and AMD concedes/opts out of directly competing with their own large die and/or performance levels, than this Titan niche will be seen from now on.

If AMD does this again(and it would be stupid not to if a market can support a 1000 dollar card), Nvidia will raise the price stakes as well when their cards come later.
    How can you possibly know this? That is making one big assumption.
    Last edited by LordEC911; 02-21-2013 at 10:01 PM.
    Originally Posted by motown_steve
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
    2560x1600 is about the same as two 1080p displays!
    Seriously? Child, please. Two displays are for developers, not surround gaming. Surround gaming starts at three displays.

Quote Originally Posted by El Maņo View Post
    It's hightime someone told you what a douchebag you are.
    And DON'T YOU forget it!
    \Project\ Triple Surround Fury
    Case:
    Mountain Mods Ascension (modded)
    CPU: i7 920 @ 4GHz + EK Supreme HF (plate #1)
    GPU: GTX 670 3-Way SLI + XSPC Razor GTX670 water blocks
    Mobo: ASUS Rampage III Extreme + EK FB R3E water block
    RAM: 3x 2GB Mushkin Enhanced Ridgeback DDR3 @ 6-8-6-24 1T
    SSD: Crucial M4 256GB, 0309 firmware
    PSU: 2x Corsair HX1000s on separate circuits
    LCD: 3x ASUS VW266H 26" Nvidia Surround @ 6030 x 1200
    Games: AoE II: HD, BF4, MKKE, MW2 via FourDeltaOne (Domination all day!)

Xtreme Mentor
    A GTX 680 isn't even enough for maintaining 60 FPS in the latest games on a single 1080p screen, lots of people would want a Titan for 1080p gaming with the AA cranked up high.

Just look at the Crysis 3 benchmarks.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEC911 View Post
    One word... volume.
    There is a BIG difference in moving millions of cards at <$500 and moving a few ten thousand cards at $1k.
    Add in the fact that this card is in a unique situation, which you pointed out, as far as target market; ultra-enthusiast(multi-gpu/multi-monitor) and semi-professional(FP64).
    I think of it, as one reviewer mentioned, as a copy of Intel's EE. There really is no point to it's price other than it is the top bin you can get and in Titan's case the cheapest FP64.

Edit- I think as long as Nvidia keeps designing these heavy compute orientated +500mm2 GPUs and AMD concedes/opts out of directly competing with their own large die and/or performance levels, than this Titan niche will be seen from now on.

How can you possibly know this? That is making one big assumption.
    As I mentioned in my post, of course 1000 dollars won't be supported. However, if Nvidia is able to sell 10's of thousands of 1000 dollar cards, I think that will give a sign to both companies that 699 cards such as the GTX 8800 are realistic again if both companies price their cards as such and don't get into a price war.

Look at the launch price of the 7970( 550 dollars) and the launch price of the 6970(369), prior to this generation, there was at least a significant price/performance advantage of a card vs the original MSRP(not street price because EOL cards are usually on clearance at this point)of their predecessor but with the 7970 series it didn't happen. The only thing that justified the 7970's pricing at the time, especially considering AMD's underdog status was it performed and had better price to performance ratio compared to the gtx 580. Compared to anything else, it lost this metric.

So what happens when AMD's or Nvidia's 20nm cards come out and they beat titan? Are they going to price them at 500 dollars again? I doubt it. I can imagine if these cards are faster/match titan which is a 1000 dollar card, Nvidia/AMD will use this to their advantage to elevate the price of their cards(if titan pricing is still 1000 dollars).

If they show behavior like last round, for sure they are going to raise the price in accordance on how they compare to the top card at the time. It won't be titan expensive but it won't be priced at 500 dollars.

Both companies are trying to inflate prices again. But Nvidia is taking it to new levels with the gtx titan. Since the 8800 series, Nvidia's top shelf card has been big monolithic chips, so why are they charging twice as much as last generation? I think the reason are mainly two fold, to protect the elevated pricing of gk104(which they can pump out in high volume and charge 500 dollars for which they could never do in the past) and because they don't have competition from AMD. Nvidia loves that they can charge 500 dollars for a midsize chip like gk104 dollars. If it wasn't for Tegra being such a financial strain, they would be making record net profits.

Plus they want to perpetuate the idea that gx100 series is some exotic chip that shouldn't be a gaming chip when it performance and past indicate otherwise. By naming gk110 as titan and gk104 as the gtx 680, they reduce performance expectations of what high end is(the improvement between gtx 580 and 680 wasn't impressive for a new node) and turn gk110 performance into a new ultra enthusiast niche to justify its higher pricing. Really all these performance jumps are in line with earlier generation, but marketing and pricing strategy are making pricing jump up everywhere.
    Last edited by tajoh111; 02-22-2013 at 01:58 AM.
    6gb OCZ platinum
    4870x2 + 4890 in Trifire
    2*640 WD Blacks
    750GB Seagate.

Xtreme Mentor
    GTX 690 and 7970 prices are already going up after the Titan launched. GTX680 prices have also increased slightly.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanSmooth View Post
    Seriously? Child, please. Two displays are for developers, not surround gaming. Surround gaming starts at three displays.

And DON'T YOU forget it!
    2 Displays, while not surround came in handy for Supreme Commander. I get the feeling that Tri/Quad SLi Titan's (as would Dual 7990's) will eat 3 monitors for lunch, unless 4K.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathReborn View Post
    2 Displays, while not surround came in handy for Supreme Commander. I get the feeling that Tri/Quad SLi Titan's (as would Dual 7990's) will eat 3 monitors for lunch, unless 4K.
    He doesn't know what Supreme Commander is. He only plays console games.

I am Xtreme
    He doesn't know what Supreme Commander is. He only plays console games.
    i kinda agree with him though. i couldnt see myself using just 2 monitors. my biggest fear is that a window in the game would be cut apart by bezels, and most windows like to come up in the center. i think companies need to support multi monitor better and allow users to shift around those said windows so they never cross bezels. (i could see myself loving a few extra screens for sim city coming out soon)
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    i kinda agree with him though. i couldnt see myself using just 2 monitors. my biggest fear is that a window in the game would be cut apart by bezels, and most windows like to come up in the center. i think companies need to support multi monitor better and allow users to shift around those said windows so they never cross bezels. (i could see myself loving a few extra screens for sim city coming out soon)
    Yeah, well FPS games are not the best candidates for 2 monitor suppport but some other games could certainly use some dev love.
    RTS games, flight sims etc.
    For FPS games I'd rather have a single, big screen though.

Xtreme Addict
    Yeah, well FPS games are not the best candidates for 2 monitor suppport but some other games could certainly use some dev love.
    RTS games, flight sims etc.
    For FPS games I'd rather have a single, big screen though.
    Why would someone want a bezel in the middle of their field of view? It where your eyes naturally focus. Bezels are best left to a person periphery where they won't notice them as much. Plus monitors are so cheap nowadays that if you can afford two monitors and the videocard to power a surround set up, you can afford a three monitor set up. Or atleast one of those ultra wide displays such as the Dell u2913wm.

I don't think any of the genres you listed, would 3 monitors would not be superior to 2 monitors.
    6gb OCZ platinum
    4870x2 + 4890 in Trifire
    2*640 WD Blacks
    750GB Seagate.

Xtreme Addict
    Why would someone want a bezel in the middle of their field of view? It where your eyes naturally focus. Bezels are best left to a person periphery where they won't notice them as much. Plus monitors are so cheap nowadays that if you can afford two monitors and the videocard to power a surround set up, you can afford a three monitor set up. Or atleast one of those ultra wide displays such as the Dell u2913wm.

I don't think any of the genres you listed, would 3 monitors would not be superior to 2 monitors.
    You got it all wrong. Using two monitors doesn't mean you have the bezel in the middle of your field of view. Obviously you never played SupCom and you don't know at all what am I talking about.

Xtreme Mentor
    Someone compared this with Intel's EE processors, but its completely different.

With the EE CPUs, you can still buy a non EE version of the same architecture and overclock it yourself to the exact same speed. With the Titan, there is no lower priced part that can simply be overclocked to match the performance of this card.

Compared to the price of a single I7 990x, I was able to get both an I7 920 and 980 with a few hundred quid change left over, and the latter performs just the same as the 990x.
    Last edited by Mungri; 02-22-2013 at 09:04 AM.

Xtreme Member
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/Obvio...I-331867.shtml
    Obviously, GeForce GTX Titan Already Scored a Record, 1750 MHz in Quad-SLI
    His quad-SLI configuration achieved a record clock speed of 1750 MHz (versus 876 MHz) and scored X18554 points in 3DMark 11 extreme preset (another record).

Damnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.

Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by bhavv View Post
    Someone compared this with Intel's EE processors, but its completely different.
    ...but what if next year the Titan turns out to still be competitive with the next gen Maxwell top gaming card? Maybe Nvidia would like to do something similar in the future again and release a "big dawg" GPU card in a 2 year cycle (market conditions permitting). For users who upgrade to the top GPU every year this might not be so bad.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    NVIDIA can't run their business selling $1000 cards, period. Volume isn't there.

They can, and may well, sell their highest end parts for this but you can bet year in year out they'll sell parts at $200/$300/$400/$500 that will be advances over last years similar parts.

They have to, to stay in business. About the only thing to worry about here is now there will be parts out most of us won't buy, so we won't get to feel like the big men on the totem pole anymore.

At least I won't. I can afford these cards, but I'll go back to console gaming before I will.
    Intel 990x/Corsair H80 /Asus Rampage III
    Coolermaster HAF932 case
    Patriot 3 X 2GB
    EVGA GTX Titan SC
    Dell 3008

Xtreme Mentor
    but i am pretty sure titan will increase 680 and 670 sales too

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    ...and 690 sales. Why spend $1000 when you get get 15% better performance for the same price.
    Computer: Intel i7-4770k | Asus Z87 Maximus VI Impact | 240GB Corsair Force GT | 240GB OCZ Vertex 3 | 16GB G.Skill Trident X 2400MHz | EVGA GTX690 Hydro Copper 4GB | Corsair AX850 | Steelseries 7G | Logitech G500 | 27" 2560x1440 Overlord Tempest X270OC 120Hz S-IPS
    Cooling: Koolance 380i CPU block | Swiftech Hydro Copper GPU block | EK X3 150 Reservoir | EK X-TOP D5 PWM drive | PrimoChill PrimoFlex PRO LRT Bloodshed red | Alphacool NexXxos 240mm XT45 | Alphacool NexXxos 280mm UT60 | Bitspower Fittings | 4x Bitfenix Spectre Pro 120mm | 2x Bitfenix Spectre Pro 140mm | Lamptron FC-5V2
    Case: Custom modded matte black Caselabs Mercury S3

Quote Originally Posted by 3lfk1ng View Post
    ...and 690 sales. Why spend $1000 when you get get 15% better performance for the same price.
    Because it is a single gpu!
    2600K @ 4.5 1.28v w/EK LT | EVGA GTX 780 @ stock
    P67 Sabertooth | GSkill RipjawsX 4x4GB DDR3 1600
    Corsair HX1000W | Hannspree 27.5

Xtreme Mentor
    Heh, Amazon.co.uk just had a couple of mispriced EVGA GTX 690s for ?647.99, I thought about getting one, but the fact that I cant tri SLI it with my current one still put me off.

Then a little while later its back up to ?790.

NooB MOD
    Check it: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121724 $999 on the Egg! Limited to one per customer, @#$%!! SHIP MORE FASTER, NVIDIA!!

Also, all of you kids running only one display, DON'T YOU EVEN THINK ABOUT PURCHASING TITAN!! This is a real GPU for real setups such as Nvidia Surround. A GTX Titan is overkill for your pathetic little one-display setup. Stick to your GTX 600 series, and keep the GTX Titan availability open to those of us that run Nvidia Surround. Much obliged!
    I'll let k|ingp|n know
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Intel is about to get athlon'd
    Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

Xtreme Addict

And DON'T YOU forget it!
    Uh, no one said anything about two physical displays. You, "child", may want to work on reading comprehension before yelling at people. What was said was about resolution.
    Last edited by GoldenTiger; 02-22-2013 at 12:23 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Urban - what are you on lately? It's not like you to have attitude like this .....

So I can't use a Titan to power my single 27" 120hz screen? Can a single Titan even hold 120hz minimum fps in BF3 on ultra? It would want to at that price, as well as make me coffee while I'm playing .....

3Dmark will like the gpu power anyway

Bencher/Gamer(1) 4930K - Asus R4E - 2x R9 290x - G.skill Pi 2200c7 or Team 2400LV 4x4GB - EK Supreme HF - SR1-420 - Qnix 2560x1440
    Netbox AMD 5600K - Gigabyte mitx - Aten DVI/USB/120Hz KVM
    PB 1xTitan=16453(3D11), 1xGTX680=13343(3D11), 1x GTX580=8733(3D11)38000(3D06) 1x7970=12059(3D11)40000(vantage)395k(AM3) Folding for team 24

AUSTRALIAN DRAG RACING http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFsbfEIy3Yw

Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie-revhead View Post
    So I can't use a Titan to power my single 27" 120hz screen? Can a single Titan even hold 120hz minimum fps in BF3 on ultra? It would want to at that price, as well as make me coffee while I'm playing .....
    Everything on low. Sure

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie-revhead View Post
    Urban - what are you on lately? It's not like you to have attitude like this .....
    Yeah, I know, guys, I'm sorry. I'm just angry that I've missed every single GTX Titan pre-order. They're all sold out now! I still need three, while most of you are just happy with one.
    \Project\ Triple Surround Fury
    Case:
    Mountain Mods Ascension (modded)
    CPU: i7 920 @ 4GHz + EK Supreme HF (plate #1)
    GPU: GTX 670 3-Way SLI + XSPC Razor GTX670 water blocks
    Mobo: ASUS Rampage III Extreme + EK FB R3E water block
    RAM: 3x 2GB Mushkin Enhanced Ridgeback DDR3 @ 6-8-6-24 1T
    SSD: Crucial M4 256GB, 0309 firmware
    PSU: 2x Corsair HX1000s on separate circuits
    LCD: 3x ASUS VW266H 26" Nvidia Surround @ 6030 x 1200
    Games: AoE II: HD, BF4, MKKE, MW2 via FourDeltaOne (Domination all day!)

Page 40 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3037383940414243 ... LastLast