Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Orbis unmasked: what to expect from the next-gen PlayStation?

Xtreme Addict

Orbis unmasked: what to expect from the next-gen PlayStation?

Both the next generation PlayStation - and its Xbox competitor - feature eight-core CPUs clocked at 1.6GHz according to sources trusted by Digital Foundry. The main processor architecture driving both consoles is said to be derived the new "Jaguar" technology currently in development by Intel's arch-rival, AMD. These are low-power processor cores designed for the entry-level laptop and tablet market, offering an excellent ratio between power consumption and performance. The PC Jaguar products are set to ship later this year in a quad-core configuration - next-gen consoles see the core count double with some customizations added to the overall design.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df...xt-gen-console

8-core jaguar...wtf?
    [MOBO] Asus CrossHair Formula 5 AM3+
    [GPU] ATI 6970 x2 Crossfire 2Gb
    [RAM] G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600
    [CPU] AMD FX-8120 @ 4.8 ghz
    [COOLER] XSPC Rasa 750 RS360 WaterCooling
    [OS] Windows 8 x64 Enterprise
    [HDD] OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD
    [AUDIO] Logitech S-220 17 Watts 2.1

Xtreme Mentor
    Apu ?
    Intel Core i5 6600K + ASRock Z170 OC Formula + Galax HOF 4000 (8GBx2) + Antec 1200W OC Version
    EK SupremeHF + BlackIce GTX360 + Swiftech 655 + XSPC ResTop
    Macbook Pro 15" Late 2011 (i7 2760QM + HD 6770M)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) , Huawei Nexus 6P
    [history system]80286 80386 80486 Cyrix K5 Pentium133 Pentium II Duron1G Athlon1G E2180 E3300 E5300 E7200 E8200 E8400 E8500 E8600 Q9550 QX6800 X3-720BE i7-920 i3-530 i5-750 Semp140@x2 955BE X4-B55 Q6600 i5-2500K i7-2600K X4-B60 X6-1055T FX-8120 i7-4790K

Xtreme Mentor
    while for gaming everybody chooses less core but high clocked cpus as the reasons obvious why console makers made this kind of a ........ lets say strange decision. or did they just decided to use as much parallelism as they can.

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

Xtreme Member
    i think it is maybe 15-th article with "sure next gen console specs", it is BS again.

Xtreme Mentor
    If this one a bs too then do this make my comment bs too

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Xtreme Cruncher
    I have to admit that specs rumored in that article are a bit strange. 8C Jaguar with no iGPU is not what AMD would normally do if its sole purpose was a console. More likely was just a SR or PD based QC "APU" at higher clocks (3.2Ghz) supporting hybrid CFX with a corresponding HD8000 discrete card.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by informal View Post
    I have to admit that specs rumored in that article are a bit strange. 8C Jaguar with no iGPU is not what AMD would normally do if its sole purpose was a console. More likely was just a SR or PD based QC "APU" at higher clocks (3.2Ghz) supporting hybrid CFX with a corresponding HD8000 discrete card.
    I dont see that impossible. It might be that these "dedicated custom parts" are iGPU that is used for physics etc. Then discrete gpu for graphics. Consoles need to be low power and SR nor PD are low power desings so i see jaguar base lot better option, if one jaguar cpu core takes watt or two @ 1,6GHz its most likely more cost effective to add few more than to up clock speeds and change arch. With consoles having true multicore designs, we can just assume that games will benefit from more cores in future better than its case today. Engines build for minimum six cores in mind etc.

I must add, that more cores over fewer stronger cores would be benefit of AMD as well...

Xtreme Cruncher
    Trinity QC mobile parts have 35W TDP for both CPU and GPu while CPU can work from 2.3 to 3.2Ghz . These SKUs are low power parts.

Xtreme Member
    8 cores does not seem a strange choice from the lowest power for equivalent computational resources point of view - I believe software can be easily developed to incorporate better usage of multi-core systems. Plus these consoles will be geared more towards complete home entertainment than their predecessors - multitasking capabilities are a plus.

However what I am more interested in is the configuration of the graphics core. It will be GCN v2 (Sea Islands) but shader count and FLOPS are still missing.
    Va fail, dh'oine.

"I am going to hunt down people who have strong opinions on subjects they dont understand " - Dogbert

Always rooting for the underdog ...

Xtreme Mentor
    From my understanding, PS4 is Pitcairn chip (1.84 teraflops).

Xtreme Enthusiast
    If it does have 8 Jaguar cores I hope they have a Turbo function for 4+ cores to provide better 1-4 thread throughput. One thing I am pleased with is AMD CPU's being used in the consoles, hopefully that will bleed through to their desktop parts being better optimised for gaming loads.

The closer the consoles get in general to PC hardware (x86, DX11+) the better grade of ports we will get. The control system is really getting my interest up though, maybe they will have a system so similar to the Vita that Vita consoles can operate fully with the PS4 (better integration than the Wii U's Tabroller).

Xtreme Cruncher
    the possible move to 8 cores is very interesting. because the cores themselves are so slow on their own that devs will be forced to use all the cores they can. Which could do big things for PC games considering the number of games that use mulitcore CPU's properly is laughable. I am pretty surprised at the GPU power however those specs put it almost bang on par with like a 7850 desktop part in terms of clock speed and shader count. the only unknown is the RAM situation. I hope they would have additional dedicated RAM for the part (say like 1GB or more) but If i had to guess it will be shared with the 4GB of system RAM considering that might be GDDR5 which would be fast enough. the next question is the graphics RAM Bus width. Again i would love to see a full 256bit bus with that dedicated RAM but my money is on shared RAM and a 128bit bus.

or the most likely outcome is that these specs are complete crap and wont be similar in any way.
    CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K @ 4.5GHz
    Mobo: Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    RAM: 32GB (8x4GB) Patriot Viper EX @ 1866mhz
    GPU: EVGA GTX Titan (1087Boost/6700Mem)
    Physx: Evga GTX 560 2GB
    Sound: Creative XFI Titanium
    Case: Modded 700D
    PSU: Corsair 1200AX (Fully Sleeved)
    Storage: 2x120GB OCZ Vertex 3's in RAID 0 + WD 600GB V-Raptor + Seagate 1TB
    Cooling: XSPC Raystorm, 2x MCP 655's, FrozenQ Warp Drive, EX360+MCR240+EX120 Rad's

512 MB HDD FOr PS4 Orbis.

3 GB HDD For Xbox 720.

PERSIAN GULF

Xtreme Guru
    Their memory figures are obviously way off base. Under no circumstance are Jaguar x86 cores compatible with GDDR5 memory. It could very well be that the graphics core has separate memory gating, allowing it to use GDDR5 while the x86 segment retains DDR3.

If the rest of the specs are correct, then don't expect from this console. Jaguar cores are going into AMD's Brazos 2.0 replacement (ie: Kabini) so it sacrifices performance for efficiency. It is also a full blow SoC design, so I'm not sure why they are so surprised at the "all in one" approach.

all outta gum
    That article is so weird it's hardly possible it's fabricated. Factoring in some distortion as the info passed from ear to ear (and some possible lack of understanding on author's part), the news could very well be true.
    www.teampclab.pl
    MOA 2009 Poland #2, AMD Black Ops 2010, MOA 2011 Poland #1, MOA 2011 EMEA #12

Test bench: empty

Xtreme Mentor
    So how big is the die for a quadcore kabini? So my its 2 quadcore kabini chips and they can crossfire the 2 igpu's
    FX-8350(1249PGT) @ 4.7ghz 1.452v, Swiftech H220x
    Asus Crosshair Formula 5 Am3+ bios v1703
    G.skill Trident X (2x4gb) ~1200mhz @ 10-12-12-31-46-2T @ 1.66v
    MSI 7950 TwinFrozr *1100/1500* Cat.14.9
    OCZ ZX 850w psu
    Lian-Li Lancool K62
    Samsung 830 128g
    2 x 1TB Samsung SpinpointF3, 2T Samsung
    Win7 Home 64bit
    My Rig

Xtreme Member
    Whatever the specs, we can be sure it's gonna keep PC gaming years behind for years to come.

Xtreme Addict

Xtreme Member
    If are this specs right, next PS will be "powerfull" as WiiU, and it is impossible

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by PedantOne View Post
    If are this specs right, next PS will be "powerfull" as WiiU, and it is impossible
    why not if they are planing to shorten the time between new consoles? while cell phone companies make their customers buy new phones which are more expensive then consoles every year or even every 6 month why console makers won't make new consoles every 3 years or even better every 2 years?

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by PedantOne View Post
    That's not true. Espresso powerpc core in Wii U is 750 model which is OoO but works at measly 1.24Ghz and has only an 64bit FPU per core. Jaguar on the other hand is a vector crunching monster compared to that poor thing in WiiU since it supports dual 128bit SSE pipelines per core and core count is 8 . Also Jaguar clocks at 1.6Ghz which is 30% more and supports 8 threads/cores which is 2.66x more than Espresso CPU in WiiU. All in all with double FP/vector capability per core,2.6x core count and 1.3x higher frequency Jaguar is a speed monster when compared to PowerPC 750 in WiiU . Since one is x86 and other is powerpc they are not directly comparable but it's pretty obvious Jaguar is much faster than PowerPC 750.

I am Xtreme
    lol really guys... its just to funny that people again "piss there pants" about the core count, for games that is still pretty much (still) irrelevant.

Especial console games lack multi-core optimization, id rather see less cores with more computing power. More cores are only really useful when they when they would use it for sophisticated physic simulation or other stuff that can be easily multi threaded.
    But looking at the rumors about the next (media)xbox, I wouldn't be surprised that much of the core are just dedicated to some stupid media etc. BS and that it can run games is just a checkbox feature instead of a main design point.

Xtreme Member
    Multi-threading was the only viable way to get good performance from 360's CPU (Cell is another animal altogether), while the other saving feature was the relatively high clock-rate at the time. The PowerPC architecture, in its console reincarnation, is really very simple in-order machine. It barely averaged 0.2 IPC instruction rate (while hand-optimized SIMD code could do a bit better in few cases) - many times lower than what any x86 CPU can do now, heck even a random Cortex-A15 puny SoC.

Xtreme Member
    If the consoles become multi-threading, the developpers will be forced to build their game for multi-threading, which is good for the PC market.

Xtreme Addict
    If there is one thing you can be sure of, it is that the next generation consoles will not be 1.6ghz jaguar cores.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast