Thread: Meet your Overlord, the future of enthusiast monitors is here.

Xtreme Enthusiast

Meet your Overlord, the future of enthusiast monitors is here.

What I am going to introduce to you after this long elaborate post is a 2560x1440 resolution monitor capable of being overclocked to 120Hz.
    Skip to the pictures below if you don't particularly enjoy reading.

Disclaimer: I don't claim to be an expert, I'm just an enthusiast who is really excited over a product that I feel deserves more notoriety. I have done the research so you don't have to and I'm here to share my enthusiasm with everyone.

Summary of what you're about to read
    1080p, 60Hz, twisted nematic panels are a thing of the past. 1440p, 120Hz, S-IPS panels are finally here. and here and if you only desire 60Hz or would like to save some money, take a look over here.

These are the differences

Introduction.
    Many of you are reading this on a 59/60Hz LCD display because that is what a majority of panel manufacturers include in their specifications. I'll also venture to guess that many of you are also on processors running faster than 4.5GHz because you weren't satisfied with just the manufactures specifications. This is why we call Xtremesystems home, we all share the same passion here: we command performance from our machines.

This thread is meant to be used as an eye-opener for one of the most stagnant parts of our amazing computer setups, the monitor(s).

If you look around at all the tablets and smartphones, you will see that these miniature devices have evolved so quickly over the last few years. They are made up of all sorts of inferior processors, some powering higher resolution displays than our desktop rigs. For example, the Google Nexus 10 uses a 10" screen at 2560x1600 (300ppi) which is even superior to Apple's 264ppi iPad4 at just 2048x1536. These are both resolutions typically found only on $1000+ 30" monitors, it's mind boggling. Both Toshiba and Sharp recently showcased 6" 498ppi displays for smartphones at that same 2560x1600 resolution. One could say that it's getting a little out of hand in the mobile market.

This advancement wasn't exclusive to phones either. As many of you know, Apple decided to break the mold by including a 2880x1800 resolution (220ppi) display on their 15" Retina Macbook Pro laptop. I purchased one to support this technology (...it was also time to upgrade my Macbook Pro) and I absolutely love it. Pictures never looked so amazing but admittedly, the increased pixel density can be taxing on heavier applications like games (through Win7 bootcamp of course). The 1GB Nvidia 650M can only run a few games at max settings at that resolution, but even so, it still made me loathe my desktop setup: three 23x 1920x1080p Dell Ultrasharp displays in Eyefinity. Goodbye! I have a much better purpose for them.

So what about desktop monitors?
    Since we don't have retina displays for PC and the 30" 4k Viewsonic display from CES is going to cost $10,000 (ugh), 2560x1440 is the perfect resolution display for us. Simply put, at 1440p there is this visual clarity I have not seen before at such a size; no more jaggies, no more muddy textures, everything just looks so damn crisp and clean. Textures pop like never before and even older games like Psychonauts look absolutely stunning. Sure, being on triple screens was pretty amazing but that doesn't prevent those 1080 vertical pixels from detracting from the overall experience especially when your focus is only on the center display (afterall, the side monitors were for periphery vision and immersion)

At 1440p you don't really need to use anti-aliasing (AA) either since the pixels are small enough to smooth out the edges. This helps to make up for the performance loss (Framerate) that happens when pushing those 1,612,800 extra pixels.

This is how my quest began.
    Recently you may have seen a few companies like Asus and BENQ advertising their 1080p displays at 120Hz or 144Hz in order to remove LCD motion blur and ghosting. The sad truth is that they are still only offering 1080p and this feature only works with Nvidia Light Boost using their proprietary shutter glasses (Nvidia 3D Vision). A setup like that that would cost around $500 anyway and you would still be stuck at 1080p and limited to only Nvidia graphics cards.

This higher refresh rate intrigued me, the low resolution however, did not.

To Google!
    After hunting around last year for a 120Hz high res display I discovered a worthy panel, or so I thought.

Around the beginning of last year there was a new monitor discovered on ebay from a korean company called Yamakasi. The panel was called the Catleap 2B and It used a 27" 2560x1440 S-IPS from LG, alongside a circuit board capable of overclocking the panels refresh rate up to 120Hz. Once this was discovered, the panel became coveted among "in-the-know" enthusiasts. Places like 120Hz.net jumped for joy, until the price went up and the circuit boards were replaced with cheap PCBs capable of roughly 67Hz. This displeased the community and they banded together to do something about it.

120Hz.net has since been purchasing standard Catleaps and adding the infamous 2B PCB and selling the overclockable (up to 120Hz) panel exclusively for $719.99 with NO warranty. That's a little grim. The price is high and sold as-is. I wasn't satisfied with that but now that I know it exists, it had to exist somewhere else too.

The future of enthusiast monitors is here:

https://www.overlordcomputer.com/
    http://www.facebook.com/overlordcomputer

They're a small (currently) US based company from Rancho Cordova, CA just outside of Sacramento. The company is ran by a like-minded gamer and enthusiast who goes by the tag Scribby. I believe he was one of the founders of 120Hz.net but went on to form Overlord with the mindset to provide enthusiasts with affordable 27" 2560x1440 S-IPS (LG panel) displays and customer service that is second to none. From my experience he is very outgoing and always an active contributor on the forums.

Anyway, I believe the company was founded in July of last year (according to Facebook timeline). When they have stock come in (roughly every other week), they offer the most affordable panels you will find anywhere (with a 1yr warranty too).

You might have recently seen Monoprice's CES announcement to release a 27" 2560x1440 IPS 60Hz display to the masses for $390.60 in March. Well, Overlord Computers currently offers this same exact panel in a different bezel for $369.99 (at the time of writing, it is currently out of stock).

As for the version I'm so very excited about, the one that competes with 120Hz.net's $719.99 120Hz capable panel: Overlord offers their 120Hz capable panel using the same PCB for just $529.99. They even offer an A- grade version for $469.99. You can read about the panel grades here. That's a hell of a lot of savings.

My close friends A- panel has already arrived and I cannot tell the difference between the A and the A- myself but it is important to mention that Overlord Computers checks every display by hand before selling it. Now if that doesn't scream quality, I don't know what does.

What Overlord Checks:
    Pixel Check: We run several test programs to check for any dead/stuck/bright pixels that may be in excess of industry standards for Grade "A" and "A-" panels. In any given group of Grade A panels up to (and in some instances above) 70% will be error free to start (essentially Grade A+ panels.) The remaining 30% can have up to 3 bright, 3 colored (stuck), or 5 dark pixels as an acceptable Grade A panel. In any group of Grade A- panels up to (and in some instances above) 50% will be error free to start (essentially Grade A+ panels.) The remaining 50% can have up to 5 bright, 5 colored (stuck), or 8 dark pixels as an acceptable Grade A- panel.
    Pixel Correction: If dead/stuck/bright pixels are found we will attempt to clear these with a particular program or pressure method.
    Refresh Rates: We check each model, SE/ME/OC, to determine max refresh rates. We base our tests on the 65hz/72hz/96hz rule - that is we assume that rate for each model SE/ME/OC. Refresh rates above 60hz are not guaranteed for any model (yes, even the OC). Does Intel guarantee your K chip will OC to a certain level, Nope. Overlord cannot guarantee that any model will hit a particular refresh rate, only that higher than stated rates (60hz) are possible. Overclock your monitor at your own risk.
    Back Light Bleed: We check to ensure back light bleed is within industry standards. All IPS panels have some level of back light bleed that may be viewed on a completely black screen and/or with higher than usual brightness settings.
    Overall Build Quality: We check to ensure the monitor is properly assembled.
    Power Brick Load: We place all power bricks under load to ensure they register the proper voltage.

You may have noticed that on the X270OC panels, only DVI is offered. This is done intentionally in order to reduce input lag that is currently found on bloated PCBs that offer an abundance of input options as well as USB ports. Going forward Overlord Computers is currently working on a custom in-house 120Hz PCB that is rumored to offer displayport as well. This is a company worth keeping your eyes on, just a few hours ago they announced mice, two keyboards(one mechanical) and the future availability of a 24" 1920x1200 panel.

Why is 120Hz so important?
    You may have seen it on a TV before, that awkward, life-like, soap opera-esque panning that only works well with Pixar films and Sports. How would you like to see your games running buttery smooth too? How about seeing smooth mouse cursor movement in Windows? How about having a 2x refresh rate advantage over others in your favorite twitch based shooter? Scrolling through forums? etc etc... the list goes on. Even games at 40FPS will see twice as many refreshes per second, tricking you to think that the game is running much smoother than it actually is (I didn't believe this myself until I tried Far Cry 3).

I was excited for my panel to arrive but I was so much more amped once I got to see what 120Hz was all about. The 2560x1440 resolution definitely helps too.

Here you can see twice as many frames at 120Hz The shutter speed was set to 1/10th of a second
    Here is 60Hz

Image courtesy of ToastyX

Here is 120Hz

It's even noticeable in windows.
    Here is 60Hz

Here is 120Hz

Image Courtesy of ToastyX

Specifications of the Overlord Tempest X27OC

27-inch LED PANEL S-IPS A Grade LG
    Refresh rate 60hz, up to 120HZ capable (please read The OC Overview)
    Aspect ratio 169
    Resolution 2560-by-1440
    Response Time ≦6ms
    Contrast Ratio 15001
    DCR 50000001
    Brightness 380cd㎡
    Viewing Angle 178(H)178(V)
    Display Color(Max) 16.7M
    Connectivity DVI
    High Definition 1440
    VESA Mount 100x100
    Speaker 10W5Ω
    Operation Voltage Power cable 24V5A
    Display Dimensions w/Stand 26 w x 17 58 h
    Display Weight 15.75lbs w/out stand; 16.5lbs wstand

If you have read this far, you have probably already made the purchase so let me help you overclock your Tempest

It's time to overclock
    Before you begin, please consider donating to ToastyX for all his hard work. Without him, the following utilities would not be available, or as intuitive. https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/we...c469a145272506

• Depending on what video card you're using, ToastyX has created pixel clock patchers that remove the artificial MHz pixel clock caps put in place by Nvidia and ATI. This is safe to use alongside any current system overclocks.
    • http://overlordforum.com/topic/21-ov...k-start-guide/

• You will notice that Windows is now in Test Mode. This is because we are now using modified drivers that are digitally unsigned. As a result this will display a "Test Mode Windows 7 build XXXX" on the bottom right of your desktop. This can easily be removed by following these directions, although it won't harm anything by being there.
    • http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2509241

• At this point, if you're on an Nvidia card, you can set a custom refresh rate in your Nvidia control panel but I would still recommend using the Custom Resolution Utility (CRU) that AMD users are required to use. This utility allows you to make alterations and fine tune adjustments in Windows and see the changes after a simple restart.
    • http://overlordforum.com/topic/21-ov...k-start-guide/

After a restart, check to see if your setting stuck.

Troubleshooting
    Sometimes your computer might reboot into a black screen. In this case I normally just restart and boot into safe mode to alter the clocks again. Just keep performing this process until you find your preferred rate. With any patience, you should easily be able to hit 120Hz.

Here is a thread with users comparing timings that were successful. Just like processor overclocking, some setups might only be able to hit 115-118Hz (the difference won't even be noticable though):
    http://overlordforum.com/topic/151-post-your-timings/

Occasionally you might see some green, blue, or red fuzzy horizontal lines. By tinkering with the values set by other users I have managed to eliminate them at 118Hz. I'm still learning what values I need to modify in order to eliminate them at 120Hz.

Experience
    I have gone back through many of my games and there is not a single game that doesn't bring back a renewed smile. Left 4 Dead is... Guild Wars 2 looks... *sigh* every game just looks amazing.
    This is the way games are meant to be played. In my few days of owning this monitor, it has sold itself to 2 of my close friends, 1 of whom is awaiting UPS drop-off, 1 of whom is coming over shortly to take it for a test drive.

There is no going back.

Cons
    Of course there are cons, nothing is perfect so I'll be nit-picky for everyone.
    The current stand is a little flimsy so it's a good thing they are undergoing a redesigned case that is due out in the next few months. If you don't really care you can put it on any 100x100 VESA mount and call it a day.
    The plastic is gloss black.
    If you require Anti-Glare, they rarely get AG panels in stock.

Conclusion
    That's it actually. It's amazing that you even read this far. This monitor is amazing and I really hope that some of you will find interest in it as well.

Thank you for reading and I apologize in advance if any of my information is innacurate,
    Drew

tl;dr: Buy this monitor if the thought of gaming on a 27 2560x1440 S-IPS panel @ 120Hz excites you.
    Last edited by 3lfk1ng; 04-11-2013 at 11:35 PM.
    Computer: Intel i7-4770k | Asus Z87 Maximus VI Impact | 240GB Corsair Force GT | 240GB OCZ Vertex 3 | 16GB G.Skill Trident X 2400MHz | EVGA GTX690 Hydro Copper 4GB | Corsair AX850 | Steelseries 7G | Logitech G500 | 27" 2560x1440 Overlord Tempest X270OC 120Hz S-IPS
    Cooling: Koolance 380i CPU block | Swiftech Hydro Copper GPU block | EK X3 150 Reservoir | EK X-TOP D5 PWM drive | PrimoChill PrimoFlex PRO LRT Bloodshed red | Alphacool NexXxos 240mm XT45 | Alphacool NexXxos 280mm UT60 | Bitspower Fittings | 4x Bitfenix Spectre Pro 120mm | 2x Bitfenix Spectre Pro 140mm | Lamptron FC-5V2
    Case: Custom modded matte black Caselabs Mercury S3

c[_]
    Overlord should grab an LG W3000H (2560x1600 30") and see how far he can push it. I've managed 85hz but I lose brightness control at that setting..

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yeah, they may branch out in the future but for now they are focused on 27" panels. Most likely because of panel cost and availability.

EDIT: They just announced on Facebook that mice, 2 keyboards (one mechanical) and a 1920x1200 24" panel are on the way.
    Last edited by 3lfk1ng; 01-17-2013 at 09:38 AM.
    Computer: Intel i7-4770k | Asus Z87 Maximus VI Impact | 240GB Corsair Force GT | 240GB OCZ Vertex 3 | 16GB G.Skill Trident X 2400MHz | EVGA GTX690 Hydro Copper 4GB | Corsair AX850 | Steelseries 7G | Logitech G500 | 27" 2560x1440 Overlord Tempest X270OC 120Hz S-IPS
    Cooling: Koolance 380i CPU block | Swiftech Hydro Copper GPU block | EK X3 150 Reservoir | EK X-TOP D5 PWM drive | PrimoChill PrimoFlex PRO LRT Bloodshed red | Alphacool NexXxos 240mm XT45 | Alphacool NexXxos 280mm UT60 | Bitspower Fittings | 4x Bitfenix Spectre Pro 120mm | 2x Bitfenix Spectre Pro 140mm | Lamptron FC-5V2

Xtreme Member
    Is 24inch going to be 120hz? Otherwise I really see no point.
    MM H2gO - Win 7 Pro
    2 PA120.2 Thermochill
    MCP355 w/XSPC res top
    i5-2500k @ 5.0ghz w/Heatkiller 3.0
    Corsair HX850 - M IV Gene-z
    GTX 480 w/DD 480 ni/cu

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'm pretty sure, I'll ask.

EDIT: Yes, they will be 120Hz as well.
    Last edited by 3lfk1ng; 04-23-2013 at 08:07 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Wow, the idea of overclocking my monitor makes me all tingly. I wish there was a way to see this monitor first hand before I buy it though. Are there any online reviews for these monitors?
    i5 750 @ 4.2ghz
    EVGA P55 FTW
    8gig G.Skill Ripjaw @ 1055mhz
    Gigabyte 6950 modded
    Seasonic X-650
    Antec P180 modded and watercooled
    Thermochill PA160
    Apogee XT
    MCP350

Xtreme Member
    That 24" might suit me well...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    There are user reviews on the website. If you purchase one, you can try it for 30 days and return it if you're not 100% satisfied.

I actually just ordered mine after a night of research on available 120hz monitors. Nothing comes close to these displays except the ones from 120hz.net or ordering from ebay, both of which are sub-par options imo.

the OC version gets a new bezel and stand, it looks much more sleek and the stand looks to have a good amount of support now!

The mechanical keyboard looks like a mecha 4 or 5 with a slightly redesigned top cover and without all the crap on the sides/top, plus backlighting.

Now to wait a couple of weeks for the ultimate gaming display.
    Last edited by tcclaviger; 04-13-2013 at 06:21 PM.
    The Opressor:
    1680v2 @ 4.7ghz daily / 1080ti @2050 / Corsair 900D custom 3x480 push/pull GT 1850s / Rampage IV BE / EK blocks / Dual D5 Revo / AX1200i

The Liberator:
    2700x @ 4.275 daily / Matrix 980 @1500 / Corsair 220T 240+360 push SP-120 RGBs / X470-Pro / EK blocks / D5 Revo-Res combo

Xtreme Addict
    Getting one come release of Haswell

-PB
    -Project Sakura-
    Intel i7 860 @ 4.0Ghz, Asus Maximus III Formula, 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws X F3 (@ 1600Mhz), 2x GTX 295 Quad SLI
    2x 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 RAID 0, OCZ ZX 1000W, NZXT Phantom (Pink), Dell SX2210T Touch Screen, Windows 8.1 Pro

Koolance RP-401X2 1.1 (w/ Swiftech MCP35X), XSPC EX420, XSPC X-Flow 240, DT Sniper, EK-FC 295s (w/ RAM Blocks), Enzotech M3F Mosfet+NB/SB

Mine was in anticipation for a 4930k :P
    The Opressor:
    1680v2 @ 4.7ghz daily / 1080ti @2050 / Corsair 900D custom 3x480 push/pull GT 1850s / Rampage IV BE / EK blocks / Dual D5 Revo / AX1200i

The Liberator:
    2700x @ 4.275 daily / Matrix 980 @1500 / Corsair 220T 240+360 push SP-120 RGBs / X470-Pro / EK blocks / D5 Revo-Res combo

Xtreme Member
    I do have some questions regarding the UI responsiveness. While 120Hz could result in animations twice as smooth, it also means that the GPU has to provide twice as much processing power for it to remain smooth. I have heard that some cards clock down so far on idle (5850 on triple screens, 670 on dual screen), that they couldn't even provide a smooth 60fps, let alone the 120fps of the 'future'. Even Apple's Retina laptops are known to have issues providing 60fps on the full 2800*1800 resolution. Have you run into this issue at all and if so was increasing the idle clock enough to fix it?

There could likewise be a problem if the screen isn't good enough to hit the crucial 120Hz, which is video playback. If the video's framerate and your screen's refresh frequency are relatively prime, you could end up seeing inconsistent motion on scenes that have smooth panning for example. Perhaps even some console ports expect 30/60Hz and will have awkward looking animations when played on a screen with an odd refresh frequency.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'm wondering if this will work with a ZR30w. The lack of a scaler helps with the input lag, but it'd be nice to get the monitor up to at least 65Hz. If I could get up to 85 that would be awesome.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    @tcclaviger
    Huge congrats! Let me know if you need any help and I will do my best to assist you. There are a ton of great resources on the overlord forums as well. The new bezel allows the inputs to be plugged in from the side which is super convenient.

@paulbagz
    I think it will easily be the favorite part of your new setup. Computer upgrades are amazing but at the end of the day it's your display that provides you with the smoothness and visual clarity that you expect from a new computer.

@RTB
    You can always purchase one to give it a shot. All monitor purchases from Overlord come with a 30-day money back guarantee. They are just that confident that you will fall in love with it.

I have had my monitor now for 3 months and haven't had any responsiveness issues. It's been nothing but pure bliss. In Windows I can tell that the mouse moves a lot smoother (no framerate stutter) and webpages scroll much smoother as well. My Macbook Pro at 2880x1800 struggles to deliver 60FPS due to the weak 650m, it's an absolutely powerhouse for games like Skyrim at 1080p but 1800p is far too demanding. It does however play Guild Wars 2 at 2880x1800 on low settings and still manages a solid 60-90 fps. Far Cry 3 runs around 30fps on Medium settings. I cannot complain though, because it's a Mac, I will turn around and sell it a year from now for ~$300 less than what I paid (ridiculous Apple resale value)

I will say that my previous desktop graphics card was a Sapphire Toxic 6950, flashed to a 6970, and overclocked high enough to beat GTX580's in synthetic benchmarks. That graphics card struggled to deliver high enough framerates to really take advantage of all 120Hz but the 40FPS I was getting in Far Cry 3 felt like I was getting 60-80fps due to twice as many refreshes per second, it just ran a lot more smoothly.

I have since replaced the 6950 with a GTX690 and even so... there are a few games that cannot hit the glorious 120FPS. For the most part though, I can live with ~90FPS in games like Metro, max settings at 2560x1400.

@WangChung
    The overclocking utility will work with the ZR30w but you might only manage to eek out up to around 70Hz. I love the .:R32's btw, I have a race built 24v VR6 myself.

Just pre-ordered a X270OC to replace my Dell 2412m, can't wait to pair it with my GTX680 4gb...
    Last edited by GameGuru; 04-22-2013 at 06:01 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Did you also get a beefy 24AUG DVI cable, I see that they are out of atock atm? Most likely you will need one to hit close to 120Hz. Monoprice has 24AUG in stock if you need one: http://www.monoprice.com/mobile/Cata...rchType=Global

Please report back with feedback. I would love to hear about other users experience.

No I didn't but thanks for the heads up. Looks like they have them in stock. I'll report back when I get my monitor next month.

That...is...awesome.

Side note, I wonder if I can overclock my TV plugged into my computer, LOL doubt it...
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Most monitors have a little bit of headroom. From around the net it appears that users can get around 65-67Hz from a typical 60Hz display. Every bit counts right?

I just took my computer into the garage over the weekend so I could do some sim-racing. My sim-racing c0ckpit has 3 60Hz Dell U2312 1920x1080 panels for surround. Using these panels after being spoiled by the Overlord, is rather upsetting. Everything feels 'choppy' now, even at a solid 90fps and everything has jagged edges that require various AA techniques to smooth everything out.

The Overlord X270OC's high refresh rate and resolution have essentially ruined me ...in a good way, haha.

Love will tear us apart
    Samsung PLS 1440P all seem to do at least 100Hz, most 120, some even higher. First hit eBay like six weeks ago (same Korean sellers as the Catleaps etc) Got mine in two days $317 shipped, no dead pixels, some backlight bleed. Presently at 96Hz (single 7950).

http://www.overclock.net/t/1384767/t...ub-qnix-x-star
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1374065/k...sung-pls-panel
    Dark Star IV
    i5 3570K | Asrock Z77 Extreme4 | 8GB Samsung 30nm | GTX 670 FTW 4GB + XSPC Razer 680 | 128GB Samsung 830
    Apogee HD White | 140MM UT60/120MM UT45/120MM ST30 | XSPC D5 V2

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    That...is...awesome.

Side note, I wonder if I can overclock my TV plugged into my computer, LOL doubt it...
    yeah u can downsample but not OC it lol i have the same my Samsung TV is connected to my PC
    Intel Core i9-7980XE@ 4.8GHz 18C/18TH (Direct Die Contact)
    ASRock X299 OC Formula
    ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D80 (4x8GB) DDR4-3800C17 B-Die
    1x Intel Optane SSD 905P 480GB
    4x HP EX950 NVMe 2TB on ASRock ULTRA M.2 CARD
    EVGA RTX 2080TI KINGPIN 2190/8000 Stock Cooling AIO 240
    SilverStone ST1500W-TI TITANIUM
    Alphacool Custom Water Cooling

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 3lfk1ng View Post
    Most monitors have a little bit of headroom. From around the net it appears that users can get around 65-67Hz from a typical 60Hz display. Every bit counts right?
    I don't think that's true in general. The gamebryo engine is famous for stuttering motion because it runs at 64hz internally, so if you cause a similar offset to engines running at 30/60hz you'll end up with the same stuttering. Because these multiples of 24/25/30 are so entrenched in videos and games you really cannot deviate from them much without causing inconsistencies in frame display. Though if I think about it, you can actually use this to play games like Skyrim without the typical stutter if you overclock your monitor to 64Hz.

Quote Originally Posted by paulbagz View Post
    Getting one come release of Haswell

-PB
    Too bad Haswell ended up being just a crappy "tock" to Ivybridge with almost no improvement to performance. Intel created a whole new socket just for this?? HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT! IMHO, the only thing Haswell is good for is ultrabooks and future portable devices, mostly thanks to them moving the voltage regulator to onboard the CPU - which happens to be a bad thing for the desktop version because it produces more heat (~8 watts more vs. Ivybridge). Also, the integrated GPU is a bit more powerful, but again if you are a deskptop user, you won't use that feature at all and will use dedicated graphics instead.

So, no thanks and I would tell you not to waste your money - unless you have a CPU that is two to three generations old. I cancelled my 4770K order a few days ago and decided to keep my 3770K until Intel releases a real successor to Ivybridge...
    Last edited by Ninjawithagun; 06-12-2013 at 05:51 AM.

NooB MOD
    One post in five years and it's completely off topic? And the name begins with "ninja"?
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Intel is about to get athlon'd
    Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

This thread hasn't seen an update in a while.

How does this panel do with color accuracy and black levels? Looking for an upgrade.
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    Skylake i7-6700K @ 4600 Mhz
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340