Thread: Aquacomputer AMS 840mm radiator

Xtreme Member

Aquacomputer AMS 840mm radiator

Hello,

Is there anyone here who has any experience with the following radiator?

http://shop.aquacomputer.de/product_...oducts_id=2725

I'm thinking of purchasing two, for a dual loop system. It's a bit bigger than what I'm looking for (a 140.5 would have been ideal), but I've been unable to find any of those.

My main concerns are mounting and flow restriciton. I've heard that these rads are highly restrictive, would a single Laing D5 pump be enough to cope with something like this, in a loop with an average restriction CPU or GPU block?

With regards to mounting, any ideas on how to position them? Obviously they'd have to be external to any case, but I can't think of any way to fix them to keep them stable...

Alternatively, if anyone knows of any 700mm radiators that would be ideal!

Thanks

Odai.

EDIT: I'm aware of the option to simply stick a 420 and a 280 AMS radiator together, but this would be quite a bit more expensive!
    Last edited by Odai; 01-14-2013 at 05:24 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    One D5 for one of these might be a stretch as they have a lot of flow channels for these rads, best bet would be to go 2x pumps at the very least, maybe even go the DDC's.

As they are apart of the AMS series you could look at getting the modular D5/pump connections for the bottom which takes out the hassle of fillports/pump/res placement.

As for mounting them; their length is obviously what creates the problem, usually with things like 9x120mm are in a square 3x3 fashion that you can get stands for so you might want to look at knocking up something similar to that that would probably house both radiators together and horizontally (vertically = weight of water plus a lot of pushing water upwards).

You could look at doing the sort of build whereby people have built their externally mounted radiators/fan controllers into the desk where the PC resides and having externally connected hoses to that system.

-PB
    -Project Sakura-
    Intel i7 860 @ 4.0Ghz, Asus Maximus III Formula, 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws X F3 (@ 1600Mhz), 2x GTX 295 Quad SLI
    2x 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 RAID 0, OCZ ZX 1000W, NZXT Phantom (Pink), Dell SX2210T Touch Screen, Windows 8.1 Pro

Koolance RP-401X2 1.1 (w/ Swiftech MCP35X), XSPC EX420, XSPC X-Flow 240, DT Sniper, EK-FC 295s (w/ RAM Blocks), Enzotech M3F Mosfet+NB/SB

Xtreme Addict
    While it would be more, they do make parts to bolt them together across as well, making a 9x120 or what have you rad. I know they showed them off when they showed off the initial design...

Xtreme Addict
    Did some more googling and searching and you're right, they do a 4x140 and a 6x140 but no 5x140

You could also look at doing 180mm rads as an alternative as a 4x180 is still quite a lot of surface area.

-PB
    -Project Sakura-
    Intel i7 860 @ 4.0Ghz, Asus Maximus III Formula, 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws X F3 (@ 1600Mhz), 2x GTX 295 Quad SLI
    2x 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 RAID 0, OCZ ZX 1000W, NZXT Phantom (Pink), Dell SX2210T Touch Screen, Windows 8.1 Pro

Koolance RP-401X2 1.1 (w/ Swiftech MCP35X), XSPC EX420, XSPC X-Flow 240, DT Sniper, EK-FC 295s (w/ RAM Blocks), Enzotech M3F Mosfet+NB/SB

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Iwaki!

My Iwaki pushes a ridiculous amount of water. And honestly for 120$ you wont get much better.

Ofc, a lot has changed since my day, back when Cathar and the others swore by iwaki lol.

Quote Originally Posted by freecableguy
    I'll come blow on your heatsink for a dollar. Thats pretty ghetto
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeon th MG Pony
    sorry to sound harsh but so would you if some one asked if nitroglycerin was a good coolant for his car!
    Check out my forum: http://www.anarchyst-it.com

Xtreme Member
    Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated!

With regards to mounting, I am designing a desk to build my PC and cooling system into, but that's a while off yet. I was hoping for something to use in the interim, but it looks like there aren't any options if I want to stick with this product! Will just have to delay any upgrade until I'm ready I guess.

Thanks,

Odai.

Xtreme Guru
    Aren't rads of such size designed with mostly silent fans in mind? If so, is iwaki really the best companion noise wise?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Church View Post
    Aren't rads of such size designed with mostly silent fans in mind? If so, is iwaki really the best companion noise wise?
    An Iwaki at 18V isn't too bad (less than an MCP35x2) but yes if you're going with nearly silent fans I would go with D5s.

It bugs me that they did the 140.6 and not a 140.5 as I could have modded my case to fit a 140.5 internally, but even my monster can't fit a 140.6. A 120.6 though would work...

I guess they have the modularity system, but it gets super pricey when you're making a 700 out of a 420 and 280 and it ends up being 500+ for effectively one large rad.