Thread: I Finnaly DiD IT MSI 7950 TF3 OC V2 X-Flashed with 7970 Bios !!!

Cool I Finnaly DiD IT MSI 7950 TF3 OC V2 X-Flashed with 7970 Bios !!!

This is my first contribution on this forum so i hope it will help some of you.

Ok guys. Let me introduce to my new 7970 Rofl.

1. Check your Device ID with GPU-Z. http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ilies/yepp.gif
    In my case the device id was 1002-679A and the only bios from 7970 that matched my card was from HIS.

2. Now you have to go to the VGA Bios Archive ( http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/i...=&memSize=3072 ) and identify a bios that matches YOUR DEVICE ID!!!!!!
    Be sure that the bios device id and your device id matches perfectly.

3. Download the bios(es) that matches BUT DO NOT FLASH IT YET!!!Before you go flashing 7970 bios like a maniac, please check that your card can take the matched bios.Check with an overclock software (MSI Afterburner ,Trixx ) that your card support the 7970 bios clock.

4. Make 2 BACKUP BIOSES, 1 with the SWITCH on 1 and SWITCH on 2. Do not forget to put bios switch on the 1st position before flashing. This will become in hand later.

5. Download atiflash latest version and extract it on a bootable stick, along with the bios you want to flash. ( Use hpboot stick and win98 system files, and make sure that atiflash.exe and your bios are on root or in the same folder ).

6. Boot into DOS and write "atiflash -f -p 0 yourbios.rom", where 0 is the number of the card conected on your pci-e.

7. After finishing flashing , restart. If it doesn`t boot follow the recovery procedure (Switch on 2 boot into dos, put switch on 1, flash original bios). If the 7970 bios doesn`t work choose other bios (remember same DEVICE ID).

8. After you boot into windows with 7970 bios, unninstall all drivers and all overclocking GPU utilities, RESTART!!!!! (IF you want to oveclock and change voltage, else would not work).

9. Install the latest Beta Catalyst, RESTART!!!

10. Install the Overcloking utilities.

11. ENJOY and Open a beer!

Many thanks for the guide and for discovering the reason why we couldn't just flash with any standard or gig edition bios's, im in the processes of flashing my card and wondered if you found or advantages to flashing to a 7970 bios? any difference in benchmarks?

Device ID isn't going to change unless you have a unlocked card & vBIOS, theres only one card I'm aware of like that and its only sold in Japan, a fire-something. That said, only use a vBIOS that doesn't use a custom ID like a lot of the Sapphire cards do, these IDs are so different because the PCBs they are from are custom PCBs. If you have a custom designed PCB, cross-reference it with a 7970 from the same manufacturer - if the PCBs match you are good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamz View Post
    Many thanks for the guide and for discovering the reason why we couldn't just flash with any standard or gig edition bios's, im in the processes of flashing my card and wondered if you found or advantages to flashing to a 7970 bios? any difference in benchmarks?
    The main difference is default higher GPU and memory speeds, higher CCC GPU and memory limits, as well as a higher default GPU voltage. You might also get a higher default memory voltage.

"Prowler"
    X570 Tomahawk | R7 3700X | 2x16GB Klevv BoltX @ 3600MHz CL18 | Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil | Xonar DX 7.1 | 2TB Barracuda | 256GB & 512GB Asgard NVMe drives | 2x DVD & Blu-Ray opticals | EVGA Supernova 1000w G2

Cooling:

6x 140mm LED fans, 1x 200mm LED fan | Modified CoolerMaster Masterliquid 240

Asrock Z77 thread! | Asrock Z77 Extreme6 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4/6 Pro3 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Review | Asrock Z68 Gen3 Thread | 8GB G-Skill review | TK 2.ZERO homepage | P5Q series mBIOS thread
    Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

Xtreme Member

Worked for my Sapphire 950mhz Edition HD7950

Didn't unlock the shaders.

Performance increases remains to be seen. Will work on the over clocking. The card performed great with its HD7950 BIOS.

Thanks for sharing. I will pass it on.

Also do you think the MD5 hash has anything to do with unlocking shaders?

Flashed my card with the same HIS BIOS which matched my cards ID.
    http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/1...72.120816.html

My card flashed in the raw with drivers.

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/66c5u/

Thanks again.

Xtreme Member
    This makes my card extremely unstable.

Xtreme Member
    Hi,

My card is also flahsed with an HD7970 BIOS. The stock BIOS from XFX was a crap, very unstable when overclocking, unstable at idle, a real POS. I've flashed a Sapphire BIOS and the one I'm using right now, but I don't remember the manufacturer.

With the Sapphire BIOS I had problems while in long idle mode, but this one is great. Never had an issue. I'm now testing my new clocks thanks to the H60

Edit:

After the mods, the XFX HD7950 is finally a nice card

And Crysis 1080P 8xAA Very High: 67.93FPS

Sorry for the off-topic
    Last edited by Andi64; 01-25-2013 at 07:48 AM.
    Main: Windows 10 Core i7 5820K @ 4500Mhz, Corsair H100i, 32GB DDR4-2800, eVGA GTX980 Ti, Kingston SSDNow 240GB, Crucial C300 64GB Cache + WD 1.5TB Green, Asus X99-A/USB3.1
    ESXi Server 6.5 Xeon E5 2670, 64GB DDR3-1600, 1TB, Intel DX79SR, 4xIntel 1Gbps
    ESXi Server 6.0 Xeon E5 2650L v3, 64GB DDR4-2400, 1TB, Asrock X99 Xtreme4, 4xIntel 1Gbps
    FreeNAS 9.10 x64 Xeon X3430 , 32GB DDR3-1600, 3x(3x1TB) WD Blue, Intel S3420GPRX, 4xIntel 1Gbps

Quote Originally Posted by Ket View Post
    Device ID isn't going to change unless you have a unlocked card & vBIOS, theres only one card I'm aware of like that and its only sold in Japan, a fire-something. That said, only use a vBIOS that doesn't use a custom ID like a lot of the Sapphire cards do, these IDs are so different because the PCBs they are from are custom PCBs. If you have a custom designed PCB, cross-reference it with a 7970 from the same manufacturer - if the PCBs match you are good to go.
    The thing is that i tried all of 7970 bioses, and the only bioses that match was the one with my id device. I have a msi 7950 tf3 v2, and it fits alot of other cards on pcb, but the bioses just don`t work. I took all bioses from tpu and no luck. I dunno maybe it`s somehow signed.....

Still discovering the MSI 7950 TF3 v2 secrets.... If u can help me, give me a pm

How to modify your bios, how to increase voltage and many many more here:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1395490/a...ios-mod-thread