Thread: In loving memory...

Xtreme Addict

In loving memory...

This happy little gentleman is my son, Asher. We lost him early yesterday morning, after months in the hospital and a long, long fight. He survived the longest anyone has with his condtion (triplication of the distal portion of the q arm of chromosome 3) dying one day short of his second birthday. Without going into details that would make your heart weep, when he passed yesterday it was both terrible and beautiful, because his suffering was great, but he finally suffered no more. It's what I hold on to in the moments where it's too much. One day it'll get better, but right now it's extremely difficult.

I'm not posting just to garner condolences for my child. Instead, I want to do something that actually matters, for his sake, in his name. Asher loved everyone, no matter who they were. Everybody was supposed to hold him and play with him. And everyone did. So in his name, I'm going to have a bit of a giveaway. It's a very simple giveaway, with only two rules.

Number one is that the items that you receive must crunch. If you can't put it into service, don't put your name in the hat. The second rule is that it happens in his name. I don't need any recognition, any points, any thanks, because this is not about me. This is in the hope that no parent should have to bury their child like I have to, after watching them suffer like I have. Who knows what our research will accomplish?

The first item is a near complete 4-socket Arima setup. Board, processors, and RAM, and the board is tested good and will handle any video card. Board will come with the 16 and 18 pin molex connectors to make your own proper power cables. All you need is heatsinks, I might can even find a power supply for you. If I can, it will be something modest.

The second item is a pair of Opteron 2419s, tested good. These have no board, etc. but will put down a fair amount of points when set up right. They will come shipped safely, though most likely in a padded envelope.

In order to get one of these, leave a message here and in a week I'll put the names in a hat and draw for each. Shipping will be paid for you, all you will need to do is give an address (please US residents only, I can't afford shipping the Arima to Canada/etc.) All I want to see this hardware do is work for others. I can't crunch on the connection I have, and my health is poor so running a farm again is out of the question. This is the only way I can see to help now, and I aim to try to help until I can't any more.

If the mods have an issue with this, let me know and I will gladly work with you to remedy what is wrong. I just want my son's death to accomplish something real.

PI in the face
    Ah man, gut wrenching. Sorry for your loss
    Quote Originally Posted by L0ud View Post
    So many opinions and so few screenshots

Quote Originally Posted by Kayin View Post

This happy little gentleman is my son, Asher. We lost him early yesterday morning, after months in the hospital and a long, long fight. He survived the longest anyone has with his condtion (triplication of the distal portion of the q arm of chromosome 3) dying one day short of his second birthday. Without going into details that would make your heart weep, when he passed yesterday it was both terrible and beautiful, because his suffering was great, but he finally suffered no more. It's what I hold on to in the moments where it's too much. One day it'll get better, but right now it's extremely difficult.

I'm not posting just to garner condolences for my child. Instead, I want to do something that actually matters, for his sake, in his name. Asher loved everyone, no matter who they were. Everybody was supposed to hold him and play with him. And everyone did.
    its difficult mate not to post anything just want to tell you

from me and my family at South America all the luv for you for this angel, i was shocked when im saw this so my wife, we have a boy 2,5 and things and emotions change when you are dad
    i really dont have the words to tell you how sorry we are
    im sad

the best and love for you and wife and strength
    Sergio
    Last edited by andressergio; 01-08-2013 at 06:05 PM.
    Intel Core i9-7980XE@ 4.8GHz 18C/18TH (Direct Die Contact)
    ASRock X299 OC Formula
    ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D80 (4x8GB) DDR4-3800C17 B-Die
    1x Intel Optane SSD 905P 480GB
    4x HP EX950 NVMe 2TB on ASRock ULTRA M.2 CARD
    EVGA RTX 2080TI KINGPIN 2190/8000 Stock Cooling AIO 240
    SilverStone ST1500W-TI TITANIUM
    Alphacool Custom Water Cooling

Xtreme Cruncher
    May Asher be looking down on you with the greatest of smiles on that beautiful face of his. My thoughts are with you and your family.
    Love.
    24/7 Cruncher #1
    Crosshair VII Hero, Ryzen 3900X, 4.0 GHz @ 1.225v, Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 AIO, 4x8GB GSKILL 3600MHz C15, ASUS TUF 3090 OC
    Samsung 980 1TB NVMe, Samsung 870 QVO 1TB, 2x10TB WD Red RAID1, Win 10 Pro, Enthoo Luxe TG, EVGA SuperNOVA 1200W P2

24/7 Cruncher #2
    ASRock X470 Taichi, Ryzen 3900X, 4.0 GHz @ 1.225v, Arctic Liquid Freezer 280 AIO, 2x16GB GSKILL NEO 3600MHz C16, EVGA 3080ti FTW3 Ultra
    Samsung 970 EVO 250GB NVMe, Samsung 870 EVO 500GBWin 10 Ent, Enthoo Pro, Seasonic FOCUS Plus 850W

24/7 Cruncher #3
    GA-P67A-UD4-B3 BIOS F8 mod, 2600k (L051B138) @ 4.5 GHz, 1.260v full load, Arctic Liquid 120, (Boots Win @ 5.6 GHz per Massman binning)
    Samsung Green 4x4GB @2133 C10, EVGA 2080ti FTW3 Hybrid, Samsung 870 EVO 500GB, 2x1TB WD Red RAID1, Win10 Ent, Rosewill Rise, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W G2

24/7 Cruncher #4 ... Crucial M225 64GB SSD Donated to Endurance Testing (Died at 968 TB of writes...no that is not a typo!)
    GA-EP45T-UD3LR BIOS F10 modded, Q6600 G0 VID 1.212 (L731B536), 3.6 GHz 9x400 @ 1.312v full load, Zerotherm Zen FZ120
    OCZ 2x2GB DDR3-1600MHz C7, Gigabyte 7950 @1200/1250, Crucial MX100 128GB, 2x1TB WD Red RAID1, Win10 Ent, Centurion 590, XFX PRO650W

Music System
    SB Server->SB Touch w/Android Tablet as a remote->Denon AVR-X3300W->JBL Studio Series Floorstanding Speakers, JBL LS Center, 2x SVS SB-2000 Subs

Xtreme Member
    Can't even begin to imagine what you are going through. Thoughts and prayers for you and your family.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Deeply sorry for your loss man.

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo View Post
    Can't even begin to imagine what you are going through.
    yes.
    so sad..

im so sorry for your loss.

I could possibly crunch an arima, but I feel quite aqward entering for free in this situation.
    Last edited by NKrader; 01-09-2013 at 11:43 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Very sorry for your loss.

My sincere condolences to you and your family.

I can't have another system crunching here (may even have to cut back a little) But I would love to crunch some in his name.

Fanboy of Good Products
    Man it's tough to read things like this. No child should ever have to suffer. I think you're doing a wonderful thing to honor him. I can't crunch anymore rigs but I do have two AMD retention brackets and two stock AMD heatsinks that I will send to whoever wins these in order to help get them running.
    Cruncher #1: EVGA Z68 FTW | i7-2600k @ 4.5 | 6GB Ram
    Cruncher #2: Supermicro Dual-Socket | 2 x 6-core Opterons | 4GB Ram
    Cruncher #3: 8-core Xserve 1,1

T400 for non-crunching

"But don't think you'll run me over - It's, ah, planting season here in Texas... and the farm is growing..." -Otis11 on crunching WCG

Xtreme Member
    Oh wow, I'm really sorry for your loss Kayin. I know you have your own health issues (how are you doing by the way?), but to lose your child throws a lot to you. Stay strong Kayin.

My prayers go out to Asher, to you and your wife and your family.

As much as I would want to crunch with the arima, I don't have space nor can I take the extra power bill.
    Main Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.5ghz, Thermalright HR-02 Macho, Gigabyte Z68MA-DH2-B3, 4x4GB Gskill DDR3-1600, Visiontek Radeon 7850, OCZ Vertex 2 120GB, OCZ Agility 60GB, Silverstone TJ08B-E, Seasonic X750, Win 7 Ultimate 64bit
    Fiance's Rig: Apple iMac 21.5" 2011, i5 2.5ghz, 4GB DDR3-1333, Radeon 6750m, 500GB

Xtreme Cruncher
    I'm going to be doing major upgrades on my rigs in the near future, Hoooorah!
    i3-8100 | GTX 970
    Ryzen 5 1600 | RX 580
    Assume nothing; Question everything

Xtreme Member
    Sorry to hear of your loss. I can't even imagine what you are going through.

I could use the arima setup, but I hate to benefit from a tragedy as well. Maybe whoever gets it can set up a WCG/BOINC acct in your sons memory.
    Desktop rigs:
    Oysterhead- Intel i5-2320 CPU@3.0Ghz, Zalman 9500AT2, 8Gb Patriot 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM, 120Gb Kingston V200+ SSD, 1Tb Seagate HD, Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit, LG 330W PSU

Flying Frog Brigade-Intel Xeon W3520@2.66Ghz, 6Gb Hynix 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM, 640Gb Hitachi HD, 512Mb GDDR5 AMD HD4870, Mac OSX 10.6.8/Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon dual boot

Laptop:
    Colonel Claypool-Intel T6600 Core 2 Duo, 4Gb 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM, 1Gb GDDR3 Nvidia 230M,240Gb Edge SATA6 SSD, Windows 7 Home 64 bit

Fanboy of Good Products
    Quote Originally Posted by yojimbo197 View Post
    Maybe whoever gets it can set up a WCG/BOINC acct in your sons memory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayin View Post
    [IMG]It's a very simple giveaway, with only two rules.

Number one is that the items that you receive must crunch. If you can't put it into service, don't put your name in the hat. The second rule is that it happens in his name. I don't need any recognition, any points, any thanks, because this is not about me. This is in the hope that no parent should have to bury their child like I have to, after watching them suffer like I have. Who knows what our research will accomplish?
    and

Quote Originally Posted by Kingcarcas View Post
    I'm going to be doing major upgrades on my rigs in the near future, Hoooorah!
    What?
    Cruncher #1: EVGA Z68 FTW | i7-2600k @ 4.5 | 6GB Ram
    Cruncher #2: Supermicro Dual-Socket | 2 x 6-core Opterons | 4GB Ram
    Cruncher #3: 8-core Xserve 1,1

T400 for non-crunching

"But don't think you'll run me over - It's, ah, planting season here in Texas... and the farm is growing..." -Otis11 on crunching WCG

Xtreme Member
    Kayin I'm really sorry for your loss.

Xtreme Addict
    As a parent, words cannot explain the sympathy and sorrow that I feel for you and what you are going through. I am deeply sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
    Current: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.2GHz / EK Supremacy/ 360 EK Rad, EK-DBAY D5 PWM, 32GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Vega 64 Wave, Samsung nVME SSDs
    Prior Build: Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz / Apogee XT/120.2 Magicool rad, 16GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Saphire rx580 8GB, Samsung 850 Pro SSD

Intel 4.5GHz LinX Stable Club

Crunch with us, the XS WCG team

Xtreme Cruncher
    I'm not a parent, nor I understand the feeling of losing a son/daughter, but my grandmother did lost a son due to an accident when he was 14 in fact I'm named after him... My grandmother is a happy person, but you can see through her eyes that she is not the same after what happened to her. So I just can grasp a bit of what someone that lost a son feels and I'm really sorry that a parent has to go through that, I hope you find the comfort you and your family needs to over come such a loss.
    Incoming new computer after 5 long years

YOU want to FIGHT CANCER OR AIDS join us at WCG and help to have a better FUTURE