Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: THQ to be sold off in pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by El Maņo View Post
    This is a disaster, I can't see any of the other big players properly caring for franchises like CoH or DoW.
    i think that WB might want 40k, they have the movie rights to it.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    i think that WB might want 40k, they have the movie rights to it.
    So GW will allow a movie finally? Good news. Too bad my interest in their IP is long dead, I only care for DoW right now, and I'd much rather have a good CoH2 than a perfect DoWIII.

CoH2 is pretty hardcore, even for experienced RTS players. I doubt EA or Activision would keep that status.

Xtreme Addict
    EA haven't had a decent RTS since Generals lol and they supported that for all of a few weeks.

-PB
    -Project Sakura-
    Intel i7 860 @ 4.0Ghz, Asus Maximus III Formula, 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws X F3 (@ 1600Mhz), 2x GTX 295 Quad SLI
    2x 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 RAID 0, OCZ ZX 1000W, NZXT Phantom (Pink), Dell SX2210T Touch Screen, Windows 8.1 Pro

Koolance RP-401X2 1.1 (w/ Swiftech MCP35X), XSPC EX420, XSPC X-Flow 240, DT Sniper, EK-FC 295s (w/ RAM Blocks), Enzotech M3F Mosfet+NB/SB

So GW will allow a movie finally? Good news. Too bad my interest in their IP is long dead, I only care for DoW right now, and I'd much rather have a good CoH2 than a perfect DoWIII.

CoH2 is pretty hardcore, even for experienced RTS players. I doubt EA or Activision would keep that status.
    i dont think they will get a movie, WB owns the rights to it through DC animation that picked it up a long time ago.

i dont see AV ever putting out an RTS since they have starcraft.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400

Quote Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
    I hope Valve get's nothing from this. They continually sit on strong IP but do nothing with it.
    better than ruining ip like ea and the likes continuously do. i'm good with waiting.

sad to see THQ go down. the gaming industry resembles hollywood. The industry is dominated by the super / mega franchises like COD, Battlefield, GTA , Halo, Warcraft. Innovative games with path breaking ideas like Portal are very rare. the industry is just milking these mega franchises. and some of them like COD are repetitive and stale.

the industry needs to rethink the business model, explore different avenues for revenue generation, focus on innovation. Game studios need to reduce risk by simplifying the content development process and tools for content creation. The developers should simplify the process of game development while retaining their focus on gameplay and innovation. Art direction and game direction also should be focussed on simplicity of content creation while not compromising on quality. anyway the industry will be forced to make these changes for its own survival sake.

tbh, my issue with the industry as a whole now is that the dev studios are owned by the publishers. instead of just being publishers.
    this restricts everything and leads to situations like these.
    they make more money though that way
    Bring on the motorbikes!

Quote Originally Posted by himaro View Post
    tbh, my issue with the industry as a whole now is that the dev studios are owned by the publishers. instead of just being publishers. this restricts everything and leads to situations like these. they make more money though that way
    one of the most revered studios and the inventor of the first person genre id software got acquired by Zenimax a couple of years ago. John carmack the founder made an interesting comment. He said game budgets were increasing and the financial burden on the developer was increasing. also cash flow management was getting difficult especially between the releases of games. Rage released 7 years after Doom 3. John carmack agreed there were some critical mistakes he committed during development of Rage like the mega texture technology which made content development even more complex then it already was. this lead to rage taking longer than it would normally take. when a legendary studio like id software which also had game engine licensing revenue succumbed to the financial pressure what chance do smaller studios have.

Independent game studios are becoming a rarity. the few remaining ones are Valve Software, Epic Games, Crytek studios. Developers of popular franchises like Infinity ward (Call of duty) and Bungie (Halo) some times chose to get acquired by publishers like Activision and Microsoft for the financial freedom they got. But that obviously comes at the cost of creative freedom. We need more game studios to develop sound business strategy to manage cash flow, release games at a reasonable pace (once every 2-3 years) and also deliver on innovation and good quality.

Xtremely Retired OC'er
    THQ rest in pieces.

Xtreme Addict
    I really hate business.

Core i7 920 D0 B-batch (4.1) (Kinda Stable?) | DFI X58 T3eH8 (Fed up with its' issues, may get a new board soon) | Patriot 1600 (9-9-9-24) (for now) | XFX HD 4890 (971/1065) (for now) |
    80GB X25-m G2 | WD 640GB | PCP&C 750 | Dell 2408 LCD | NEC 1970GX LCD | Win7 Pro | CoolerMaster ATCS 840 {Modded to reverse-ATX, WC'ing internal}

CPU Loop: MCP655 > HK 3.0 LT > ST 320 (3x Scythe G's) > ST Res >Pump
    GPU Loop: MCP655 > MCW-60 > PA160 (1x YL D12SH) > ST Res > BIP 220 (2x YL D12SH) >Pump

i both agree and disagree here
    Publishers are a hang over from other media industries when gaming as we know it was starting.
    they were the only real means of distributions before internet connections were fast enough.
    now, with internet speeds upto scratch and with PSN and Steam, they're becoming increasingly not needed
    there are plenty of independent game devs studios out there, but they go by the name of Indy Devs instead.
    look at Steam these days and there are hundreds of indy titles.
    i understand that big budget games are exactly that, big budget. but if activision can make money out of COD, why cant the studio's ? if it because an independent studio will recieve less of a cut from a publisher?
    Bring on the motorbikes!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Personally while I don't want Activision or EA to get anything from this, I do hope someone takes DoW and makes a proper RTS out of it, like the first one. Zenimax/Bethesda or Take-Two/2K Games would be my preferred location for the THQ properties though.

Hell, give Carmack the WH40k License for FPS/TPS and see what he comes up with, should be pretty good.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
    I hope Valve get's nothing from this. They continually sit on strong IP but do nothing with it.
    You seem to mistake "doing nothing" with "working little but steadily and quietly". I can't think of anything better than Valve getting the IP. They might not be the ones who push out a "Triple-A" (or what is called triple-A these days) title each year, but I prefer quality over quantity. More so since I started working and do not have the time to spent as much time gaming as it used to be.
    Notice any grammar or spelling mistakes? Feel free to correct me! Thanks

Xtreme Addict
    Bethesda, 2K, Activision, EA... They are the same bull. All of them create console games, which is not a bad thing per se, but I just don't want them to turn CoH into a simplistic console game.

Last thing Carmack did was Rage, which is awful, so I'd rather have him stay far away from CoH/DoW.
    Last edited by El Mano; 01-21-2013 at 03:22 PM.

I hope it's Valve or somebody decent that gets COH
    I think Bethesda'd be OK

Xtreme Addict

not sure how much WH40k you played when u were young, I played plenty, lol its so far the only bit from my early days that has managed to stay clean and pure... so lets hope none messes around with it
    この世界には 人の運命を司る 何らかの超越的な 〝律〝...... 〝神の手〝が 存在するのだろうか? 少なくとも 人は 自らの意志さえ 自由にはできな

I can see Rockstar picking up Saints Row, possibly Metro 2033 as well. Rockstar would know how to make those games awesome.

"Prowler"
    X570 Tomahawk | R7 3700X | 2x16GB Klevv BoltX @ 3600MHz CL18 | Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil | Xonar DX 7.1 | 2TB Barracuda | 256GB & 512GB Asgard NVMe drives | 2x DVD & Blu-Ray opticals | EVGA Supernova 1000w G2

Cooling:

6x 140mm LED fans, 1x 200mm LED fan | Modified CoolerMaster Masterliquid 240

Asrock Z77 thread! | Asrock Z77 Extreme6 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4/6 Pro3 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Review | Asrock Z68 Gen3 Thread | 8GB G-Skill review | TK 2.ZERO homepage | P5Q series mBIOS thread
    Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

Last thing Carmack did was Rage, which is awful, so I'd rather have him stay far away from CoH/DoW.
    He can burn in hell, he basically told the entire PC gaming community (who made him btw) to go f|_|ck themselves. I think everybody knew Rage was going to blow long before it was released. Only a couple months after release I saw Rage being sold for ?7 brand new, I still didn't buy it.

"Prowler"
    X570 Tomahawk | R7 3700X | 2x16GB Klevv BoltX @ 3600MHz CL18 | Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil | Xonar DX 7.1 | 2TB Barracuda | 256GB & 512GB Asgard NVMe drives | 2x DVD & Blu-Ray opticals | EVGA Supernova 1000w G2

Cooling:

Asrock Z77 thread! | Asrock Z77 Extreme6 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4/6 Pro3 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Review | Asrock Z68 Gen3 Thread | 8GB G-Skill review | TK 2.ZERO homepage | P5Q series mBIOS thread
    Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

I am Xtreme
    So it seems sega is interested/picking up relic and Volition to koch media, imho a lot better ea/activision/ubi.

edit:

To All THQ Employees:

We now have the answers we've been seeking through our financial restructuring and
    Chapter 11 case. While much will be written, here are the facts of the bids and auction
    that occurred t:

Yesterday morning, we received a competing bid for the operating business,
    along with Clearlake's offer, and numerous offers for separate assets.
    During an auction process that lasted over 22 hours, the final conclusion was
    that the separate-asset bids would net more than a single buyer for the majority
    of the company.
    Shortly, we will, present the results to the U.S. Bankruptcy Court, which must
    concur with our assessment.
    The proposed sales of multiple assets is as follows :
    Sega agreed to purchase Relic
    Koch Media agreed to purchase Volition and Metro
    Crytek agreed to purchase Homefront
    Take 2 agreed purchase Evolve and
    Ubisoft agreed to purchase Montreal and South Park

We expect these sales to close this week.

Some assets, including our publishing businesses and Vigil, along with some other
    intellectual properties are not included in the sale agreements. They will remain part of
    the Chapter 11 case. We will make every effort to find appropriate buyers, if possible.

Official numbers.

Relic and Company of Heroes
    Winning bid: $26.6 million - Sega Corporation
    Backup bidder: $26.3 million - Zenimax Media

THQ Montreal, with 1666 and Underdog
    Winning bid: $2.5 million - Ubisoft
    Backup bidder: N/A

Evolve aka Metamorphosis
    Winning bid: $10.894 million - Take-Two Interactive
    Backup bidder: $250,000 Turtle Rock Studios, Inc.

Volition and Saints Row
    Winning bid: $22.3 million - Koch Media GmbH (Deep Silver)
    Backup bidder: $5.4 million - Ubisoft

Homefront
    Winning bid: $544,218 - Crytek GmbH

Metro, which includes 2033 and 2034
    Winning bid: $5,877,551 - Koch Media GmbH (Deep Silver)
    Backup bidder: $5.175 million - Ubisoft

South Park: The Stick of Truth
    Winning bid: $3,265,306 - Ubisoft
    Last edited by Hornet331; 01-23-2013 at 01:15 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Sega got Relic, that's awesome!!
    Sega publishes the Total War saga, which are some of the best PC games you can buy these days.
    I'm happy with this, Relic might continue their fine work now.

here is a list of all of the accepted bids
    http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/23/390...tter-to-staff/

EA and AVB did not get anything so that should be good.

Xtreme Member
    Sega got Relic, that's awesome!!
    Sega publishes the Total War saga, which are some of the best PC games you can buy these days.
    I'm happy with this, Relic might continue their fine work now.
    Sega getting relic means we wont get consolised crap from relic but lets not kid ourselves, the total war series are buggier than most console ports.

I've updated the opening post linking to PCG and to Hornets post.
    Imo it could have been worse, EA and AVB didn't their IP Blood Soaked hands on them.
    but who the hell is Koch Media?!? i hope they treat Metro with the respect it deserves.
    CoH and WH:40K to Sega isn't bad, they seem to be doing well with Total War atm.
    THQ Montreal to Ubisoft, i dont like ubi but they have an office in montreal as well don't they? so i guess it makes sense
    Bring on the motorbikes!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by himaro View Post
    I've updated the opening post linking to PCG and to Hornets post.
    Imo it could have been worse, EA and AVB didn't their IP Blood Soaked hands on them.
    but who the hell is Koch Media?!? i hope they treat Metro with the respect it deserves.
    CoH and WH:40K to Sega isn't bad, they seem to be doing well with Total War atm.
    THQ Montreal to Ubisoft, i dont like ubi but they have an office in montreal as well don't they? so i guess it makes sense
    Koch Media have taken some flak lately for Sacred 3, both 1 & 2 are open world Diablo clones essentially, they have removed open world and put in more cheap MP to cover up cuts in gameplay. They are also responsible "supposedly" for the dropping of a new patch for Risen 2. Deep Silver are a good company but are under a EA lite dictatorship right now.

3 things.

1. Metro only went for 5.8 million? (I know "only") thats one of the better games... went far too cheaply IMO.
    2. Crytek are total cheapskates
    3. I'm saddened Turtle Rock didn't get back Evolve

"Prowler"

Cooling:

Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast