Thread: Ubuntu for mobiles .... may change much

Xtreme Mentor

Ubuntu for mobiles .... may change much

It is early to speak of course but if things go well then this may change a lot for mobile business.

http://www.xda-developers.com/androi...-galaxy-nexus/

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

Xtreme 3D Team
    This is old news.
    Smile

Xtreme Addict
    This isn't Ubuntu for Android, it's Ubuntu phone.
    If you are thinking “Wait, wasn’t Ubuntu for Android already announced last year,” you aren’t alone. Upon first hearing the news, that was the first thing that came to my mind as well. However, this is a whole different project with a much more ambitious aim and broader scope. While Ubuntu for Android was built to run in tandem with Google’s mobile OS to offer a full Ubuntu desktop experience only when docked, Ubuntu for phones is a complete OS in and of itself, entirely independent of Android.

Xtreme Addict
    wrong thread
    Last edited by EniGmA1987; 01-08-2013 at 08:04 AM.
    Rig 1:
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Intel i5 3570K @ 4.75GHz
    16GB of Team Xtreme DDR-2666 RAM (11-13-13-35-2T)
    Nvidia GTX 670 4GB SLI

Rig 2:
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX
    AMD FX-8350 @ 5.6GHz
    16GB of Mushkin DDR-1866 RAM (8-9-8-26-1T)
    AMD 6950 with 6970 bios flash

Yamakasi Catleap 2B overclocked to 120Hz refresh rate
    Audio-GD FUN DAC unit w/ AD797BRZ opamps
    Sennheiser PC350 headset w/ hero mod

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Looks pretty sweet actually. Not sure how much they can gain on MSFT though. MSFT is doing the same thing with win8/wp8/win8rt. Is this ACTUALLY the same code on a desktop or arm? Or is it like win8 where its the same basic code, but then removing features to work on ARM devices? Will my program running on ubuntu desktop work the exact same on mobile or will the program need to be recompiled for the mobile device?

I have never been a fan of ubuntu, but its beginning to look better and better I must say. But I love knowing that almost any game, program or web portal will work on windows.
    Aaron___________________________Wife________________________ HTPC
    intel i7 2600k_____________________AMD5000+ BE @ 3ghz___________AMD4850+ BE @ 2.5ghz
    stock cooling______________________CM Vortex P912_______________ Foxconn A7GM-S 780G
    AsRock Extreme 4_________________ GB GA-MA78GM-S2H 780G_______OCZ SLI 2gb PC6400
    4gb 1600 DDR3___________________ OCZ Plat 2GB PC6400___________Avermedia A180 HDTV tuner
    MSI 48901gb 950/999______________Tt Toughpower 600w___________ Saphire 4830
    Corsair HX620____________________ inwin allure case___________ ___ Coolmax 480w
    NZXT 410 Gunmetal________________Acer 23" 1080p________________ LiteOn BD player
    X2gen 22" WS
    ________________ ________________________________ nMediaPC 1000B case

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Power5 View Post
    Looks pretty sweet actually. Not sure how much they can gain on MSFT though. MSFT is doing the same thing with win8/wp8/win8rt. Is this ACTUALLY the same code on a desktop or arm? Or is it like win8 where its the same basic code, but then removing features to work on ARM devices? Will my program running on ubuntu desktop work the exact same on mobile or will the program need to be recompiled for the mobile device?

I have never been a fan of ubuntu, but its beginning to look better and better I must say. But I love knowing that almost any game, program or web portal will work on windows.
    This article should answer that question: http://ces.cnet.com/8301-34448_1-575...tive-web-apps/

There's no reason the entire Ubuntu userspace can't run on an Arm device, as long as device manufacturers don't lock you out of it. I have 3 arm SBCs that run the full Ubuntu stack. There are also lots of people running Ubuntu on their nexus (and many other) tablets. In the case of native Linux apps, sure, they will need to be recompiled. "Web" apps shouldn't require any recompilation from platform to platform though.

They're going to have a phone-focused UI on it and, I assume at least, will remove unnecessary components to keep memory/cpu usage down (just like anyone else can with standard ubuntu). I'm assuming that, even if they lock it down, people will find ways of unlocking the full Ubuntu environment.

--Matt
    Last edited by mattkosem; 01-11-2013 at 04:36 AM.
    My Rig :
    Core i5 4570S - ASUS Z87I-DELUXE - 16GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-2400 - 256GB Plextor M5 Pro Xtreme

of course it needs to be recompiled -.-'

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by JaD View Post
    of course it needs to be recompiled -.-'
    Should work the same though
    My Rig :
    Core i5 4570S - ASUS Z87I-DELUXE - 16GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-2400 - 256GB Plextor M5 Pro Xtreme

I am Xtreme
    Been anxiously awiting the Canonical phones to come out since I rejected all things Goolge last Feb.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Mid UK. Lift a few rocks, eventually you will find me.
    If the "Ubuntu" Phone is not locked down, then it's really a Linux/Debian phone and you can do what you want with it. Just as one would with any Linux Distro. Just think, control over iptables and the hosts file. Locking down the phone the way you want so apps DON'T have access to personal and private data or the Phone/Radio module.

For consumers it's a plus, more choice. For those that can use Linux it is awesome.

It will be a little disappointing if Canonical lock down the boot loader and deny root access.

I rooted my Android Phone because it's no business of Google what I do with it, where I go with it or what I browse on the Internet with it. Changing the hosts file was the second best thing I did after installing Cyanogen.
    Fun Box: Asus P8Z68-V GEN3++Corsair AX850++i5 2500k@4.5Ghz-1.272v++Corsair A50++2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance++MSI R7970 Lightning++Audigy2 Plat-EX++TBS 6280 DVB-T2 tuner++256Gb OCZ Vertex 4.500Gb Caviar Black.500Gb Seagate Barracuda++Sony AD7240s++Lian-Li PC-60++Linux Mint/Win 7++Asus P238Q

Work Box: Gigabyte H61MA-DV3++Corsair HX620++i5 3450@stock++2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance++120Gb OCZ Agility 3++Linux Mint

Quantum theory in a nutshell: It's so small we don't know where it is, it could be here, it could be there.

Just 'cos it's legal don't make it right.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Would be nice to install this on any phone. Would rather have ubuntu on my iphone than iOS.