Thread: Ultrabook advice?

Xtreme Cruncher

Ultrabook advice?

Hey guys, not a regular over here in Mobile but seems like the best place to get some advice. I'm looking to get a ultrabook/ultraportable as my (old) laptop is anything but portable. Doesn't need anything special in terms of performance, but I'd really prefer a SSD and a matte screen. Quality is more important than performance here. My biggest issue with the ultrabooks I've looked at are the keyboard - type more than a few hundred words and your fingers just hurt!

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Minimum specs: (not really asking for much here, but thought I'd write it out)
    CPU: C2D P7350 performance or greater (so just about anything)
    GPU: Integrated preferred for battery life
    RAM: 4GB (8GB preferred)
    SSD: 100GB+ (Might be able to settle for 64GB, but would prefer 100GB)

Other requests:
    Nice, functional keyboard (Doesn't have to be perfect, but need better than my gf's Acer aspire s3)
    Matte Screen
    Integrated Webcam
    Decently long battery life (6 hours reasonable?)
    Light! (~3lbs preferred)

Ideal price range: $1200 or less.

Haven't looked too far into ultrabooks lately so don't know what's really out there. Thanks again guys!

24 hour prime stable? Please, I'm 24/7/365 WCG stable!

So you can do Furmark, Can you Grid???

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    got my girl a Lenovo its pretty nice, its pretty peppy once you get rid of bloat ware

pretty durable so far, other than that I don't have much help, I'd personally say anything but Acer

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by NKrader View Post
    got my girl a Lenovo its pretty nice, its pretty peppy once you get rid of bloat ware

pretty durable so far, other than that I don't have much help, I'd personally say anything but Acer
    Idk, the Acer Aspire S3 has actually been really nice, my only significant complaint is the keyboard. I would also prefer a matte screen, but that's not a huge deal for her.

What lenovo are you talking about?

Edit: Is it the IdeaPad U510? I've been eyeing the Asus Zenbook Prime UX31A... and my reading today has made me realize my battery expectations may be a little too optimistic...
    Last edited by Otis11; 01-07-2013 at 04:14 PM.

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Otis11 View Post
    battery expectations may be a little too optimistic...
    yes.

not sure which one, but overall build quality SHOULD be across the board with most companies. and i dont like acer becuase way too much plastic and cutting of costs, crap seems to shake iself apart in a year or two.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Well, I can't talk to what's "normal" but that acer regularly gets carried around in a backpack, bumping with books an binders and nothing has come loose yet - actually it still looks brand new...

And looking at the Asus Zenbook Prime UX31A-DB51:

CPU: 1.7GHz Core i5-3317U (should be enough)
    GPU: Integrated
    RAM: 4GB (eh)
    SSD: 128GB

Other requests:
    Nice, functional keyboard (anyone know? reviews say it's better than most... so probably ok?)
    Matte Screen (Check!)
    Integrated Webcam (even 720p!)
    Decently long battery life (6 Hours!)
    Light! (2.9 lbs!)

price: $1100

Any comments?

And that one appears to be discontinued, this one looks to be just an updated model??? UX31A-DH51

Xtreme Member
    Lenovo x1 carbon? Heard it has a good trackpad and a good keyboard. If I was in the market for an ultrabook it would be my first choice.

6 hours of battery life? A bit high, 4 was normal for my fianc? mba.
    Main Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.5ghz, Thermalright HR-02 Macho, Gigabyte Z68MA-DH2-B3, 4x4GB Gskill DDR3-1600, Visiontek Radeon 7850, OCZ Vertex 2 120GB, OCZ Agility 60GB, Silverstone TJ08B-E, Seasonic X750, Win 7 Ultimate 64bit
    Fiance's Rig: Apple iMac 21.5" 2011, i5 2.5ghz, 4GB DDR3-1333, Radeon 6750m, 500GB

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Mid UK. Lift a few rocks, eventually you will find me.
    I have a Samsung Series 9 15" I have had it almost a week and so far I am very impressed.

matte screen
    8Gb Ram
    128Gb SDD
    i5 with HD4000
    comfortable island type keyboard
    smart pad.
    looks good
    feels solid
    managed over 7 hours with my average work load.

I think it can be picked up for around $1,100-$1,200.

It is certainly worth considering.
    Fun Box: Asus P8Z68-V GEN3++Corsair AX850++i5 2500k@4.5Ghz-1.272v++Corsair A50++2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance++MSI R7970 Lightning++Audigy2 Plat-EX++TBS 6280 DVB-T2 tuner++256Gb OCZ Vertex 4.500Gb Caviar Black.500Gb Seagate Barracuda++Sony AD7240s++Lian-Li PC-60++Linux Mint/Win 7++Asus P238Q

Work Box: Gigabyte H61MA-DV3++Corsair HX620++i5 3450@stock++2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance++120Gb OCZ Agility 3++Linux Mint

Quantum theory in a nutshell: It's so small we don't know where it is, it could be here, it could be there.

Just 'cos it's legal don't make it right.

Xtreme Cruncher
    @s1nykuL - Looks good. I really like the fact it's a 15 inch as my current laptop is 17, yet still fairly light. Reading up on it the main complaint I see is the keyboard, which is a deal breaker for me as I type 6-8 hours a day and don't have an external keyboard, nor is it convenient for me to carry one around. Any comments on that front? Otherwise a solid choice.

@kjeldoran - The Carbon seems to be a little bit more pricey and have a lower battery life and lower screen quality. While it does have some premium business features that can justify the cost for most, I don't know that they're necessarily worth it for non-business applications. Thoughts?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Otis11 View Post
    @s1nykuL - Looks good. I really like the fact it's a 15 inch as my current laptop is 17, yet still fairly light. Reading up on it the main complaint I see is the keyboard, which is a deal breaker for me as I type 6-8 hours a day and don't have an external keyboard, nor is it convenient for me to carry one around. Any comments on that front? Otherwise a solid choice.

@kjeldoran - The Carbon seems to be a little bit more pricey and have a lower battery life and lower screen quality. While it does have some premium business features that can justify the cost for most, I don't know that they're necessarily worth it for non-business applications. Thoughts?
    Really up to you on what you want to compromise on. For example, do you want a better screen or trackpad or keyboard?

If you are looking for a good trackpad, I'd suggest a mba. Honestly, I haven't found a laptop that rivals it. The x1 carbon supposedly does, but I haven't used it.

If you want a better screen, then the zenbook with the 1080p ips screen is the way to go.

Keyboard? Hit or miss. Personally I haven't found a keyboard I like on any laptop. Probably because I use a cherry brown filco keyboard.

Battery life is similar between ultrabooks because it is a specific form factor. In reality, it depends on what you are doing with the computer. The mba is rated at 7 hours, but in my experience it is not even close to that. I used my fiancees mba with a medium to high workload and got about 4 hours. Anandtech's review has similar results.

My suggestion is to go to a local store to try the keyboards since that seems to be your priority. Microcenter has the zenbook I believe.
    Main Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.5ghz, Thermalright HR-02 Macho, Gigabyte Z68MA-DH2-B3, 4x4GB Gskill DDR3-1600, Visiontek Radeon 7850, OCZ Vertex 2 120GB, OCZ Agility 60GB, Silverstone TJ08B-E, Seasonic X750, Win 7 Ultimate 64bit
    Fiance's Rig: Apple iMac 21.5" 2011, i5 2.5ghz, 4GB DDR3-1333, Radeon 6750m, 500GB

I am Xtreme
    If you can wait the haswell based ultrabooks are suppose to increase battery life

http://www.extremetech.com/computing...een-ultrabooks

Asus Z9PE-D8 WS with 64GB of registered ECC ram.|Dell 30" LCD 3008wfp:7970 video card

LSI series raid controller
    SSDs: Crucial C300 256GB
    Standard drives: Seagate ST32000641AS & WD 1TB black
    OSes: Linux and Windows x64

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Mid UK. Lift a few rocks, eventually you will find me.
    The perfect ultrabook is subjective. We all have different priorities.

kjeldoran is right, it is a matter of deciding on which feature to compromise. For me it was the display. I code, I don't watch vid or edit production graphics on the laptop. I just needed a display I could read in a beer garden, for this the screen is good enough. The SDD could have been larger, but I can correct that when needed. Other than that the Samsung is perfect for me.

I actually like the keyboard on the Samsung, it is very responsive, small travel in fact the best keyboard I have used on any laptop. Although my experience of laptops less than 5 years old is limited. I guess it is personal preference though.

Good luck on your search.
    Fun Box: Asus P8Z68-V GEN3++Corsair AX850++i5 2500k@4.5Ghz-1.272v++Corsair A50++2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance++MSI R7970 Lightning++Audigy2 Plat-EX++TBS 6280 DVB-T2 tuner++256Gb OCZ Vertex 4.500Gb Caviar Black.500Gb Seagate Barracuda++Sony AD7240s++Lian-Li PC-60++Linux Mint/Win 7++Asus P238Q

Work Box: Gigabyte H61MA-DV3++Corsair HX620++i5 3450@stock++2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance++120Gb OCZ Agility 3++Linux Mint

Quantum theory in a nutshell: It's so small we don't know where it is, it could be here, it could be there.

Just 'cos it's legal don't make it right.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by kjeldoran View Post
    Really up to you on what you want to compromise on. For example, do you want a better screen or trackpad or keyboard?

If you are looking for a good trackpad, I'd suggest a mba. Honestly, I haven't found a laptop that rivals it. The x1 carbon supposedly does, but I haven't used it.

If you want a better screen, then the zenbook with the 1080p ips screen is the way to go.

Keyboard? Hit or miss. Personally I haven't found a keyboard I like on any laptop. Probably because I use a cherry brown filco keyboard.

Battery life is similar between ultrabooks because it is a specific form factor. In reality, it depends on what you are doing with the computer. The mba is rated at 7 hours, but in my experience it is not even close to that. I used my fiancees mba with a medium to high workload and got about 4 hours. Anandtech's review has similar results.

My suggestion is to go to a local store to try the keyboards since that seems to be your priority. Microcenter has the zenbook I believe.
    Yeah, I realize that every computer has a trade off, but I almost never use the trackpad as I carry a mouse with me everywhere... so the zenbook's biggest detractor that I could find was negated to a point.

Unfortunately I don't have a Microcenter near me... and the Fry's I went to didn't have one... Only ultrabook that they had with a decent keyboard was the Dell XPS 13...

Quote Originally Posted by safan80 View Post
    If you can wait the haswell based ultrabooks are suppose to increase battery life

http://www.extremetech.com/computing...een-ultrabooks
    Yeah... sounds so tempting, but I really need it in the next 3 weeks... Quite unfortunate i know.

Quote Originally Posted by s1nykuL View Post
    The perfect ultrabook is subjective. We all have different priorities.

kjeldoran is right, it is a matter of deciding on which feature to compromise. For me it was the display. I code, I don't watch vid or edit production graphics on the laptop. I just needed a display I could read in a beer garden, for this the screen is good enough. The SDD could have been larger, but I can correct that when needed. Other than that the Samsung is perfect for me.

I actually like the keyboard on the Samsung, it is very responsive, small travel in fact the best keyboard I have used on any laptop. Although my experience of laptops less than 5 years old is limited. I guess it is personal preference though.

Good luck on your search.
    Yeah, I know everything is a compromise - but as I don't have a TV, the few videos/Movies/Shows I do watch will be on this screen (Even my desktop screen in broken - only shows blue...) So really the most important things are keyboard, and to a lesser extent the screen.

Thanks for all the help though guys! I've been digging through review after review based on this. Looking to order it early next week!