Thread: Name change request process?

Name change request process?

Is there a process we can take (ie; PM a mod/admin) to initiate a name change?

I go by a completely different alias now, one that I can actually share with friends and stuff, and I'd like to see this current one die (currently registered username). Rules usually state I can't have more than 1 username however...
    Dec 2012 setup:
    • i7 920 @ ~4.4Ghz 1.354v |Mushkin Enhanced Ridgeback 3*4GB @~1680mhz CAS8T1 | DFI UT LP X58-T3EH8 w/Flame Frezer | Radeon 6990 4GB
    • X-Fi Titanium Fataility Championship Series | Intel 510 Series SSD 250GB + 1.5TB Seagate Barracuda | Corsair AX1200
    • Cooling: HWLabs GTX560, Four Silverstone AP141, EK Supreme Plexi CPU, DangerDen Full Cover GPU, D5 with bitspower top and male-male direct connect to DD Monsoon
    • Mountain Mods Monticle 24 w/Custom cut panels, Anodized black, Acrylic panel on Reverse ATX setup | Tripple ASUS VH238H 23" 1080p LED | Logitech G500+Leopold Cherry Reds | Ultrasone H-FI 780

Admin
    We will have to close out your current account and open another one. You will loose your post count.
    UNDER THE ICE .com
    Phase Change Cooling

is the remedy

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by runmc View Post
    We will have to close out your current account and open another one. You will loose your post count.
    all 45 posts? I would be more worried about the Jun 2008 sign up date

Quote Originally Posted by NKrader View Post
    all 45 posts? I would be more worried about the Jun 2008 sign up date
    Exactly why I don't want to do that - new accounts seem to be much more complicated since I've signed up D:

Why doesn't this forum allow name changes? The other ~30 forum boards I visit and have registered on all seemed to be fine with it, one gave me grief because it was a "policy" which I later talked them into an exception because..... Well its a freaking alias, I've run a forum before and it literally takes you about 30 seconds and a "what's the new name" to do it with vBulletin/phpBB or whatever management software this board runs (I used the 2 mentioned) Obviously it isn't a technical issue for anyone!
    Dec 2012 setup:
    • i7 920 @ ~4.4Ghz 1.354v |Mushkin Enhanced Ridgeback 3*4GB @~1680mhz CAS8T1 | DFI UT LP X58-T3EH8 w/Flame Frezer | Radeon 6990 4GB
    • X-Fi Titanium Fataility Championship Series | Intel 510 Series SSD 250GB + 1.5TB Seagate Barracuda | Corsair AX1200
    • Cooling: HWLabs GTX560, Four Silverstone AP141, EK Supreme Plexi CPU, DangerDen Full Cover GPU, D5 with bitspower top and male-male direct connect to DD Monsoon
    • Mountain Mods Monticle 24 w/Custom cut panels, Anodized black, Acrylic panel on Reverse ATX setup | Tripple ASUS VH238H 23" 1080p LED | Logitech G500+Leopold Cherry Reds | Ultrasone H-FI 780

Admin
    What do you want it changed to?
    UNDER THE ICE .com
    Phase Change Cooling

is the remedy

Actually you can do a name change on a present account. You just need the correct admin settings available to you.

The biggest reason we've stayed away from doing it is when someone has been around a lot and people know you by that name. Makes things a bit difficult. I've changed a few (back when I was admin). The main pre-req was that it had to be someone relatively new or not well known on the forums by the present name.
    So unless things have changed since I quit, it should be do-able. Just can't say for certain, any number of rules/policies could have changed since my "departure".

What do you want it changed to?
    If you search around for my full name or email you'll find I'm going by TheShoura - a lot easier for me to share work with professionals than a name I used as a younger...'kid'? Considering forums like these have a plethora of information, I'd love to be more productive in a good community as I enjoy sharing knowledge with people of great knowledge (which in my field, it is a shameful rarity to find well educated tech-heads). Alternatively, to be blunt, I find the current username I have to be stupid and a remnant of bad decision making skills the younger me had :P

Quote Originally Posted by IFMU View Post
    Actually you can do a name change on a present account. You just need the correct admin settings available to you.

The biggest reason we've stayed away from doing it is when someone has been around a lot and people know you by that name. Makes things a bit difficult. I've changed a few (back when I was admin). The main pre-req was that it had to be someone relatively new or not well known on the forums by the present name.
    So unless things have changed since I quit, it should be do-able. Just can't say for certain, any number of rules/policies could have changed since my "departure".
    That I can completely understand with regards to changing a well known username as that can cause quite the ruckus. I personally feel I am not well recognized on XS due to inactivity here over the past 2 years... I have very few posts as you can tell, and they're far spread out over the 5 years I've been registered, majority of them for soliciting answers to questions rather than contributing content (while I do also try to do this when I find I know something someone else doesn't). I feel like I'm one of those smaller, lesser known guys (for now) that you could safely change without anyone who hasn't seen this thread notice.
    Dec 2012 setup:

Admin
    There ya go TheShoura
    UNDER THE ICE .com
    Phase Change Cooling

is the remedy

There ya go TheShoura
    Thank you kind sir Much appreciated!
    Dec 2012 setup:

WCG Cruncher
    You have to rack up at least 1 million World Community Grid points before a name change. It's easier than it sounds...
    Last edited by Plan.B; 01-22-2013 at 06:06 AM.

Distributed Computing: Making the world a better place, one work-unit at a time.

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/index.jsp