Thread: Apple moving from Samsung to TSMC for A6X chip

Apple moving from Samsung to TSMC for A6X chip

Taiwan's TSMC to make chips for Apple: reports
    Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co will soon start making microchips for Apple as the US tech giant reduces manufacturing contracts with its South Korean rival Samsung, reports said Wednesday.
    http://www.france24.com/en/20130102-...-apple-reports

looks like the battle between samsung and apple is heating up.

Xtreme Addict
    Like that wasn't expected.
    -=The Gamer=-
    MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) | i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz | 1.3875V | 28C Idle / 65C Load (LinX)
    8Gig G.Skill Ripjaw PC3-12800 9-9-9-24 @ 1600Mhz w/ 1.5V | TR Ultra eXtreme 120 w/ 2 Fans
    Sapphire 7950 VaporX 1150/1500 w/ 1.2V/1.5V | 32C Idle / 64C Load | 2x 128Gig Crucial M4 SSD's
    BitFenix Shinobi Window Case | SilverStone DA750 | Dell 2405FPW 24" Screen
    -=The Server=-
    Synology DS1511+ | Dual Core 1.8Ghz CPU | 30C Idle / 38C Load
    3 Gig PC2-6400 | 3x Samsung F4 2TB Raid5 | 2x Samsung F4 2TB
    Heat

It would have been funny if Samsung had just cut them off instead
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Addict
    Is it confirmed by TSMC or Samsung ? because right now, this is Samsung who produce the A6X ( and mainly have design them too ( contradictory of some early infos who was suggest the invert ) and It's a little bit strange
    to see Apple got the possibility to move the actual A6x production who is allready running since months in Samsung Austin Texas Fab to an other Fab and other fabrication process.

If you tell me TSMC have been contracted for product the next "A7x" chips, i will be less suspicious about it..

Just for remind, this is the 20th times a site annonce it thoses last 2 years. Even when the Iphone5 and the last Ipad have been launched, some review was still ask them if this is TSMC or Samsung who was product the CPU and SOC.

Edit:
    ( Ok, If ew believe "Commercial Times ".. it look they have only contracted a "period of try" ( 4month )" with TSMC... and it seems, nobody knows if it concern cpu production or anything else ...
    I believe some sites have extrapolate to "A6x Production" Samsung will still product the soc and micro processors used on Apple product, anyway for now )
    Last edited by Lanek; 01-02-2013 at 12:13 PM.
    CPU: - I7 4930K (EK Supremacy )
    GPU: - 2x AMD HD7970 flashed GHZ bios ( EK Acetal Nickel Waterblock H2o)
    Motherboard: Asus x79 Deluxe
    RAM: G-skill Ares C9 2133mhz 16GB
    Main Storage: Samsung 840EVO 500GB / 2x Crucial RealSSD C300 Raid0

Xtreme Addict
    AMD and Nvidia wish apple good luck!
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
    G-Skill Ripjaws X 16Gb - 2133Mhz
    Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme
    i7 2600k @ 4.4Ghz
    Sapphire 7970 OC 1.2Ghz
    Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 128Gb

I am Xtreme
    Well no problem for apple, if they also run in shortages they just jack up the prices and say the new iphone is even more exclusive then the last... people will still stand in line and pay the price.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    It would have been funny if Samsung had just cut them off instead
    Oh very true, but why not milk the iApple for all its worth. Considering the damn lawsuits being thrown around.
    -=The Gamer=-
    MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) | i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz | 1.3875V | 28C Idle / 65C Load (LinX)
    8Gig G.Skill Ripjaw PC3-12800 9-9-9-24 @ 1600Mhz w/ 1.5V | TR Ultra eXtreme 120 w/ 2 Fans
    Sapphire 7950 VaporX 1150/1500 w/ 1.2V/1.5V | 32C Idle / 64C Load | 2x 128Gig Crucial M4 SSD's
    BitFenix Shinobi Window Case | SilverStone DA750 | Dell 2405FPW 24" Screen
    -=The Server=-
    Synology DS1511+ | Dual Core 1.8Ghz CPU | 30C Idle / 38C Load
    3 Gig PC2-6400 | 3x Samsung F4 2TB Raid5 | 2x Samsung F4 2TB
    Heat

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by deathman20 View Post
    Oh very true, but why not milk the iApple for all its worth. Considering the damn lawsuits being thrown around.
    Cutting off Apple from all chips would have been suicide for Samsung considering all the contracts they'd be in breach of. Massive price hikes would also have been illegal since i'm certain that's all part of the contract between the two companies.

because right now, this is Samsung who produce the A6X ( and mainly have design them too ( contradictory of some early infos who was suggest the invert ) and It's a little bit strange
    to see Apple got the possibility to move the actual A6x production who is allready running since months in Samsung Austin Texas Fab to an other Fab and other fabrication process.
    The A6 and A6x "swift" chips were both designed by Apple.

http://www.linleygroup.com/newslette...l.php?num=4881

"If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no resource left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government"
    -- Alexander Hamilton

c[_]
    Samsung just doesnt care about apple really, if they wanted to "cut off apple" the could, same way as apple (and others) protects themselves from litigation by creating secondary/tertiary license/patent holders.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Apple has no big changes to a product they make 400% profit on, They are just taking a A6 processor and adding a x onto it. More at 11.
    My Rig can do EpicFLOPs, Can yours?
    Once this baby hits 88 TeraFLOPs, You're going to see some serious $@#%....

Build XT7 is currently active.
    Current OS Systems: Windows 10 64bit

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Warboy View Post
    Apple has no big changes to a product they make 400% profit on, They are just taking a A6 processor and adding a x onto it. More at 11.
    Umm... the iPhone 5 gets the A6, while the iPad gets the A6x. A6x is not only clocked higher, it has a much more powerful integrated quad core powerVR GPU than the iPhone 5's tri-core powerVR chip. It's 26% larger than the A6 as well.

edit: considering how much better the iPhone's build quality is than the competition, i wouldn't be surprised if they made less profit than the top Samsung phones.

And since when did "profit" become a bad thing?? It sounds like you're young and naive and believe everything your progressive teachers tell you at school. Without "profit" companies can't afford to hire employees, create new products, and pay the taxes that fund the lives of almost 50% of this country who don't pay federal income taxes and are ALWAYS the ones b*tching about the wealthy not paying their fair share and how corporations do nothing but exploit "the workers". Rofl. What a joke.
    Last edited by Andrew LB; 01-04-2013 at 12:52 AM.

"If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no resource left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government"
    -- Alexander Hamilton

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew LB View Post
    Umm... the iPhone 5 gets the A6, while the iPad gets the A6x. A6x is not only clocked higher, it has a much more powerful integrated quad core powerVR GPU than the iPhone 5's tri-core powerVR chip. It's 26% larger than the A6 as well.

edit: considering how much better the iPhone's build quality is than the competition, i wouldn't be surprised if they made less profit than the top Samsung phones.

And since when did "profit" become a bad thing?? It sounds like you're young and naive and believe everything your progressive teachers tell you at school. Without "profit" companies can't afford to hire employees, create new products, and pay the taxes that fund the lives of almost 50% of this country who don't pay federal income taxes and are ALWAYS the ones b*tching about the wealthy not paying their fair share and how corporations do nothing but exploit "the workers". Rofl. What a joke.
    Yeah... build quality... when the backlight bleeds on the display, or leaks out on the edges of the phone, or when the anodized coating comes from your brand new phone.

"We are going to hell, so bring your sunblock..."

Xtreme Member

I'm pretty sure iPhones have consistently been the cheapest high end phone to manufacture the last few generaitions. I vaguely recall one of the recent ones costing around $210 per unit to build.

Not to turn this in to a political debate, but that 50% number the republicans like to throw around is such BS. Have you actually seen the breakdown of that 50%? All you need to do to get in that 50% with the rest of those moochers is to reduce your anual income to less than 25k, and you can be living large like them..... Maybe if the low/middle class incomes increased over the last few decades like they did for the top % this wouldn't be as much of a problem. Too bad I'm not rich and can't afford to hire a tax consultant to abuse the tax code (effed up by special interest groups/politicians), and pay less than people in a lower tax brackets... Gotta love 'murica.

Here's an article from a quick google search.
    http://lifeinc.today.com/_news/2011/...this-year?lite

Xtreme Mentor
    will iphone/ipad line will refresh shorten than 1 yr? (like ipad3 > ipad4)
    Intel Core i5 6600K + ASRock Z170 OC Formula + Galax HOF 4000 (8GBx2) + Antec 1200W OC Version
    EK SupremeHF + BlackIce GTX360 + Swiftech 655 + XSPC ResTop
    Macbook Pro 15" Late 2011 (i7 2760QM + HD 6770M)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) , Huawei Nexus 6P
    [history system]80286 80386 80486 Cyrix K5 Pentium133 Pentium II Duron1G Athlon1G E2180 E3300 E5300 E7200 E8200 E8400 E8500 E8600 Q9550 QX6800 X3-720BE i7-920 i3-530 i5-750 Semp140@x2 955BE X4-B55 Q6600 i5-2500K i7-2600K X4-B60 X6-1055T FX-8120 i7-4790K

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Biznatch View Post
    Not to turn this in to a political debate,
    http://lifeinc.today.com/_news/2011/...this-year?lite
    But, that's what you just did didn't you? Do you think that others will agree with you and not argue because they think you are correct? I'm willing to bet there are people that know better.

Now, back on topic.

Sammy wouldn't breach their contracts with Apple or elect to throw out several billion dollars just to prove a point. It's business after all, and that business pays for all of the ridiculous Apple lawsuits while still providing some profit to Samsung. They're just returning some of Apples money - think of it like a discount!
    Last edited by Vinas; 01-15-2013 at 11:37 AM.
    Current: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.2GHz / EK Supremacy/ 360 EK Rad, EK-DBAY D5 PWM, 32GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Vega 64 Wave, Samsung nVME SSDs
    Prior Build: Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz / Apogee XT/120.2 Magicool rad, 16GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Saphire rx580 8GB, Samsung 850 Pro SSD

Intel 4.5GHz LinX Stable Club

Crunch with us, the XS WCG team

Xtreme Mentor
    wait a minute my taxes are going up? but im not rich?
    FX-8350(1249PGT) @ 4.7ghz 1.452v, Swiftech H220x
    Asus Crosshair Formula 5 Am3+ bios v1703
    G.skill Trident X (2x4gb) ~1200mhz @ 10-12-12-31-46-2T @ 1.66v
    MSI 7950 TwinFrozr *1100/1500* Cat.14.9
    OCZ ZX 850w psu
    Lian-Li Lancool K62
    Samsung 830 128g
    2 x 1TB Samsung SpinpointF3, 2T Samsung
    Win7 Home 64bit
    My Rig