Thread: Plate Exchanger Design

Plate Exchanger Design

I was hoping to get some feedback on a design I'm in the midst of making. Parts are on their way. I already have my CPU and 2 GPU's on one loop being cooled by a StealtIce 360 with 3 high CFM fans, around 114CFM I think. I want to add a plate exchanger and for the cool water side use a single or dual bay reservoir with pump that goes to a waterblock. The waterblock is 68mm x 78mm and there will be a 62mm peltier pad on one side and a heatsink and fan on the other side of the peltier pad . The idea is the liquid flowing through the waterblock will be chilled by the cool side of the peltier pad and then flow through the plate exchanger cooling the loop even more. I was looking for some feedback to see what people think of this idea

Xtreme Member
    sounds like you might want to put this thread in the TEC section?
    i7 3930@4.5GHz (EK Supreme HF), GTX690@1.2GHz (Koolance NX-690), 128G 4M + 2x128G 4M raid 0, Silverstone TJ07, Custom Enclosure w/MoRa, 18x GT AP-31, 401X2 dual PMP-400

Administrator
    Moved to the correct section.

Sorries! My B

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SlipoftheKnife View Post
    Sorries! My B
    Its ok man, don't worry about it

Xtreme Enthusiast
    yes your talking about a water to water TEC chiller . i have one cooling my pc right now.

your plan is sound but really you should be trying to use 2 tec's at low voltage than a single one at a higher voltage also those water blocks are made out of aluminium so that would be a concern to me.

Why the two lower voltage peltiers? I was just thinking about something. Would it be better to just add the cooler straight to the loop or to use a plate exchanger? Would just adding the chiller to the loop cool it too much? I also have the idea that if I use a plate exchanger I won't need to insulate any of my electronics. Is this correct thinking or am I totally off base? Sorry for all the questions but I'm new to adding a TEC chiller to my loop
    Last edited by SlipoftheKnife; 01-05-2013 at 08:29 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    IF your trying too cool the entire load of your CPU then you need enough cooling power (TEC QMAX) + losses to cool your CPU. In most cases a single TEC cannot achieve this. but to answer your question when you decrease input voltage relative to it's max voltage the TEC's COP (efficiency) INCREASES therefore two 500QMAX TEC's running at 50% of their input voltage will beable to move MORE heat while using LESS power than one 500QMAX TEC running at 100% of its input voltage.

A plate exchanger will just reduce the efficiency of your system, the only point of a plate exchanger is to transfer heat between two different fluids this maybe useful when transferring heat from oil to water or from salt water to fresh water, But of no help from PC cooling fluid to PC cooling fluid. Lastly the plate exchanger by it's self would not help you in any way to prevent your pc from going sub dew point and therefore collecting water.
    Last edited by Ultrasonic2; 01-05-2013 at 10:45 PM.