Thread: asus p8z77, i7 turbo issue

Xtreme Member

asus p8z77, i7 turbo issue

Happy holiday everyone.

I purchase the above set recently, and notice my cpu clock always run at max turbo ratio 45(4.5ghz) even when its idling, however if i open task manager the turbo ratio go back down to 16(1.6ghz), if i closed the task manager, the speed go back to 4.5ghz and never lower even when idle. is this normal?

spec
    p8z77 pro, 3770k, 32GN G.skill, win7 SP1

here is list of things i try
    bio update 11/09/12 verison
    driver update novermber version
    unstall aisuite evo, digi power in win7
    tweak some bio setting
    none fix the issue

Hi, make sure that C1E and EIST are enabled in bios. Also try going to windows power options > change plan settings > advanced power settings > processor power management and set minimum processor state to 1%

Xtreme Member
    try it don't work. it only work when my task mgr is open else it stay at full power.

What program are you using to monitor cpu clock? Also are you using the 'turbo ratio' or 'cpu ratio' to overclock in bios. You could try clearing your CMOS as well.

Xtreme Member
    for p8z77 i use turbo ratio when oc. but even i disable turbo, the cpu still running at 3.5Ghz, and doesn't go down unless i open task mgr. so not sure this is bios setting or win7 issues.
    also if i adjust EPU setting in asus suite to max power setting, it will set the frequcy to 1.6ghz, or if i adjust power option(processor power) setting in win7 it will do the same.

If you reset the CMOS (switch of pc at wall / power supply and take out bios battery for a few minutes) then go back into bios and load optimized defaults and set date/time but don't change any other settings. If the problem persists then it is probably an issue in Windows and not the bios.

Xtreme Member
    try all the stuff. finally do a clean install of win7. guess what now its working. maybe i should switch to linux, least that way i can track down the error/issue

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by s002wjh View Post
    try all the stuff. finally do a clean install of win7. guess what now its working. maybe i should switch to linux, least that way i can track down the error/issue
    Sounds like the power plan in windows wasn't set to 0% for processor idle. Re-installing Windows would have reset that setting.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cadaveca View Post
    Sounds like the power plan in windows wasn't set to 0% for processor idle. Re-installing Windows would have reset that setting.
    yea but doesn't explain why cpu ratio goto 16 when task manager is open

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by s002wjh View Post
    yea but doesn't explain why cpu ratio goto 16 when task manager is open
    Actually, it sure does.

Try this now, set power plan to high performance, and make sure that in advanced options, you have CPU set to 100% minimum. I can make video of that now, same behavior, and it applies to Windows8 too.

This is kind of basic(normal) stuff of how the power plan works. Why or how, I don't know, but I noticed this same thing some time ago.
    Last edited by cadaveca; 12-30-2012 at 10:58 AM.

Xtreme Member
    yea, except i set the puc to 5% before, under power option -> advance -> processor power