Thread: Best ram for 990 chipset Crosshair5z - Fx8350

Question Best ram for 990 chipset Crosshair5z - Fx8350

looking to get some new ram 2x4gb sticks.
    i have now ram made for 890 chipset CH4 Extreme from OCZ (cas 8) 888 24 (2000mhz)works damm good.

with these newer boards and FX 8350 Cpu's what the best i can get for AMD fastest timmings.
    1866 mhz

money is not a problem for when you want something for the computer.

Thank You
    safe holidays to you
    Thanks Eagle101
    -------------------------
    CrossHairV-Z 9590 cpu-OC
    SSD Ocz RevoDrive3 X2 Raid0 PciE
    -51c Cpu SS Phase.Change Cooling
    Msi 290X Lightning oc
    1600 Watts P2 Evga Platinum
    G.SKILL Trident X Cas7 1600Mhz
    Dell U2410 24" IPS

5.1 Sound Pro-Klipsch

Banned
    DRAM is not made for a specific chipset. Any of the major brands of DDR3 RAM should function just fine in your PC be it 890 or 990 chipset, Intel or AMD. Yes there are rare exceptions where a specific model DRAM module may require a BIOS update from your mobo maker, but these are rare now days.

1866 MHz. is the default DRAM frequency for the FX model processors. Some folks have reported being able to run DRAM as high as 2600 MHz. with these processors though 2400 MHz. is probably a more realistic max. As frequency goes up latencies tend to go up numerically in cycles but in real time they may actually be the same as the cycle time decreases with frequency.

If you run actual applications instead of synthetic benches you will find there is minimal gains with a typical desktop PC with DDR3 RAM >1333 MHz. because at this frequency, it is not a system bottleneck. The only exception is APUs which can use faster RAM for the GPU section of the APU. So far ~2133 MHz. seems to be the highest APU RAM frequency that shows significant gains in real apps.
    Last edited by AMDforME; 02-16-2013 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AMDforME View Post
    DRAM is not made for a specific chipset. Any of the major brands of DDR3 RAM should function just fine in your PC be it 890 or 990 chipset, Intel or AMD. Yes there are rare exceptions where a specific model DRAM module may require a BIOS update from your mobo maker, but these are rare now days.

1866 MHz. is the default DRAM frequency for the FX model processors. Some folks have reported being able to run DRAM as high as 2600 MHz. with these processors though 2400 MHz. is probably a more realistic max. As frequency goes up latencies tend to go up numerically in cycles but in real time they may actually be the same as the cycle time decreases with frequency.

If you run actual applications instead of synthetic benches you will find there is minimal gains with a typical desktop PC with DDR3 RAM >1333 MHz. because at this frequency, it is not a system bottleneck. The only exception is APUs which can use faster RAM for the GPU section of the APU. ~1866 MHz. seems to be the highest APU RAM frequency that shows significant gains in real apps.
    thank you, so i should not panic my ocz amd ram 2000mhz cas 8 - 24 8 8 8 should be fine, i have always been confussed on ram, i happen to have the best for me and these few years of my ch4 extreme working damm fast, im counting on these babies to run just as well with my ch5-z board and fx8350......your saying stay in the 1866mhz range if i was going to get new ram....thank you, amdforme
    Thanks Eagle101
    CrossHairV-Z 9590 cpu-OC
    Msi 290X Lightning oc
    Dell U2410 24" IPS

5.1 Sound Pro-Klipsch

Xtreme Member
    Pretty much, you could get a nice 2133mhz kit, prices are pretty low.
    Crucial makes one of the best chips for AMD systems, they use parts that can produce really tight timings but don't clock too high.
    Their 2x8gb 1600mhz cl8 kit is pretty awesome for the price, I'd reccomend it.
    Check this review out They are quite nice!

merry christmas eve my friends, thank you for the good words if advice, im praying my 200
    Thanks Eagle101
    CrossHairV-Z 9590 cpu-OC
    Msi 290X Lightning oc
    Dell U2410 24" IPS

5.1 Sound Pro-Klipsch

merry christmas eve my friends, thank you for all the help,
    my ocz ram made for the 890 chipset a few years ago is 2000 mhz if runs so good im hoping the 990 ch5z board will work just as good......so im counting on this....the ram was like $300. cas8 8 gigs, then i found another set of 2x4gigs for $150. last year brand new, so i have my backup ram.......
    thanks
    Thanks Eagle101
    CrossHairV-Z 9590 cpu-OC
    Msi 290X Lightning oc
    Dell U2410 24" IPS

5.1 Sound Pro-Klipsch

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eagle101 View Post
    thank you, so i should not panic my ocz amd ram 2000mhz cas 8 - 24 8 8 8 should be fine, i have always been confussed on ram, i happen to have the best for me and these few years of my ch4 extreme working damm fast, im counting on these babies to run just as well with my ch5-z board and fx8350......your saying stay in the 1866mhz range if i was going to get new ram....thank you, amdforme
    Yes your current RAM should be just fine with the FX-8350 which is a great CPU and OC's well. The real performance gains are in the CPU frequency though stock the FX-8350 is quite good. Increased RAM frequency above ~1333 MHz. makes almost no difference in real application performance. The synthetic RAM benches exaggerate the theoretical gains in changes to RAM frequency and latency.

Unless you can get 2000 MHz. rated RAM for the same price as 1866 rated RAM, I'd stick with the 1866 MHz. RAM if you decide to buy new RAM. Mixing of RAM can be dicy so if you're just adding RAM then I suggest, as does AMD and most if not all mobo makers - that you use the exact same RAM that you already have.
    Last edited by Beenthere; 12-27-2012 at 10:17 PM.