OCN2
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Would it be advisable to run a 3930K @ 1.5 V 24/7?

  1. #1
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    351

    Would it be advisable to run a 3930K @ 1.5 V 24/7?

    Would it be advisable to run a 3930K at 1.5V 24/7? I've managed to get it to pass Intel Burn Test at 4.9 GHz @ 1.5 V on the 'Very High' setting (5 passes).
    flow man:
    du/dt + u dot del u = - del P / rho + v vector_Laplacian u
    {\partial\mathbf{u}\over\partial t}+\mathbf{u}\cdot\nabla\mathbf{u} = -{\nabla P\over\rho} + \nu\nabla^2\mathbf{u}

  2. #2
    Xtreme Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Athens -> Hellas
    Posts
    944
    Cooling?

  3. #3
    Xtreme Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Coimbra - Portugal
    Posts
    683
    Quote Originally Posted by alpha754293 View Post
    Would it be advisable to run a 3930K at 1.5V 24/7? I've managed to get it to pass Intel Burn Test at 4.9 GHz @ 1.5 V on the 'Very High' setting (5 passes).
    No with any type of cooling. Sandy Bridge is in my experience is silicon that will degrade easily. Even though you can do that speed with that voltage atm you will lose that ability if you run it like that 24/7 in a matter of weeks.

  4. #4
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    351
    Quote Originally Posted by felix_w View Post
    Cooling?
    Corsair H80.

    At 4.8 GHz @ 1.44 V (idle, 1.432 V @ load) - I've topped it out at 74 C using Intel Burn Test. Running Folding@Home right now, it's only topping out at 61 C.
    flow man:
    du/dt + u dot del u = - del P / rho + v vector_Laplacian u
    {\partial\mathbf{u}\over\partial t}+\mathbf{u}\cdot\nabla\mathbf{u} = -{\nabla P\over\rho} + \nu\nabla^2\mathbf{u}

  5. #5
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Lake Bodom
    Posts
    154
    H80 is a low end "water" cooling for SB-E. I couldn't get a 3930K or 3960X over 4.5 stable with a H100 which is a little better than H80. And by stability I mean at least 8 hours of Prime95 27.7. I was already too close to temperature throttling limit. With a golden chip, better results could be achieved, but 4.9 @ 1.5 V doesn't sound too promising.

    Btw wrong subforum.
    Core i7 Extreme 4960X @ 4.5 GHz, Asus Rampage IV Black Edition, 32 GB Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-1866 MHz, GTX 780 3-way SLI, Corsair AX1200, Corsair 700D, Corsair H100i, Corsair Force GT 180GB, Windows 8 Pro, Asus VG278HR

    Core i7 Extreme 990X @ 4.4 GHz, Asus Rampage III Black Edition, 12 GB Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-1866 MHz, EVGA GTX 580 "Black Ops" SLI, Corsair AX1200, Corsair 650D, Corsar H100, Samsung 830 256GB, Asus ROG Thunderbolt, Windows 7 Pro

  6. #6
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    351
    Quote Originally Posted by xarot View Post
    H80 is a low end "water" cooling for SB-E. I couldn't get a 3930K or 3960X over 4.5 stable with a H100 which is a little better than H80. And by stability I mean at least 8 hours of Prime95 27.7. I was already too close to temperature throttling limit. With a golden chip, better results could be achieved, but 4.9 @ 1.5 V doesn't sound too promising.

    Btw wrong subforum.
    It overlaps Intel/Overclocking/Motherboards and a few others.

    So unless you want to start creating subforums based on keywords, else; you can move it to wherever you like. Also keep in mind that 5 GHz does NOT appear to be a common OC that a 3930K can hit.

    I'm currently running at 4.8 GHz @ 1.44 V wih an H80 at ~ 410 W and it has no problems running LS-DYNA NCAC benchmark models for 30 hours. And that's WITHOUT using *CONTROL_MPP_DECOMPOSITION (which typically runs even faster).
    flow man:
    du/dt + u dot del u = - del P / rho + v vector_Laplacian u
    {\partial\mathbf{u}\over\partial t}+\mathbf{u}\cdot\nabla\mathbf{u} = -{\nabla P\over\rho} + \nu\nabla^2\mathbf{u}

  7. #7
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Lake Bodom
    Posts
    154
    Well it depends how you see it, but on XS, maybe not common a OC but neither much extreme yet in that overclock. The 4.5 & 5 GHz LinX stable thread is in the Intel section as well with people posting 5 GHz LinX 20 loops stable results.

    But back to your original question, 1,4 V is generally considered the upper "safe" limit in many threads I have seen. I would not go much higher than that with a H80, maybe max 1,42 V. There was a guy that had used 1,57 V (if I recall right) by using AUTO settings for some time on air cooling and his processor's pin pads burned and later his mobo died. So be careful. Obviously the program you run doesn't tell me anything, but if it runs fine, it probably is the only thing that matters. I've used LinX to compary GFlops on SB-E overclocks since in many cases lower OC can result in higher GFlops than an unstable OC. Good luck.
    Core i7 Extreme 4960X @ 4.5 GHz, Asus Rampage IV Black Edition, 32 GB Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-1866 MHz, GTX 780 3-way SLI, Corsair AX1200, Corsair 700D, Corsair H100i, Corsair Force GT 180GB, Windows 8 Pro, Asus VG278HR

    Core i7 Extreme 990X @ 4.4 GHz, Asus Rampage III Black Edition, 12 GB Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-1866 MHz, EVGA GTX 580 "Black Ops" SLI, Corsair AX1200, Corsair 650D, Corsar H100, Samsung 830 256GB, Asus ROG Thunderbolt, Windows 7 Pro

  8. #8
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    351
    Quote Originally Posted by xarot View Post
    Well it depends how you see it, but on XS, maybe not common a OC but neither much extreme yet in that overclock. The 4.5 & 5 GHz LinX stable thread is in the Intel section as well with people posting 5 GHz LinX 20 loops stable results.

    But back to your original question, 1,4 V is generally considered the upper "safe" limit in many threads I have seen. I would not go much higher than that with a H80, maybe max 1,42 V. There was a guy that had used 1,57 V (if I recall right) by using AUTO settings for some time on air cooling and his processor's pin pads burned and later his mobo died. So be careful. Obviously the program you run doesn't tell me anything, but if it runs fine, it probably is the only thing that matters. I've used LinX to compary GFlops on SB-E overclocks since in many cases lower OC can result in higher GFlops than an unstable OC. Good luck.
    I ended up backing off the OC back to 4.5 GHz. 4.8 GHz - I was about to do short runs with, but it's been having a REALLY hard time with a 30-hour run and it's been requiring quite a high voltage bump so I've decided to just back it off to 4.5 GHz and stay there while I finish the last of the 30-hour runs.

    It doesn't appear to be a thermal issue that's limiting/preventing it from being stable at that OC, but I was already hitting 1.45 V (according to CPU-Z at idle) that I figured the extra 0.3 GHz wasn't worth the risk or the power. Bummer. But oh well. 30 hour it is then. It's still three TIMES faster than my old quad dual-core Opteron system (so now a 92-hour run finishes in 30-hours).
    flow man:
    du/dt + u dot del u = - del P / rho + v vector_Laplacian u
    {\partial\mathbf{u}\over\partial t}+\mathbf{u}\cdot\nabla\mathbf{u} = -{\nabla P\over\rho} + \nu\nabla^2\mathbf{u}

  9. #9
    Xtreme Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,233
    +1 for pretty much everything above.

    ~1.4 is the max you can push into your Sandy chip 24/7 without having to worry 1 single second. Passed this point, its all up to you... Ive seen people running 3930k at over 1.5v 24/7 but i advised them they could degrade the chip way faster than normal at that Vcore.

    In the end, IMO, your better to find a good, stable, fast enough OC for your 24/7 use that stay within safe limit for the chip. I run relax OC as for my 24/7, currently a little 4.2ghz on my 3820, but i could run this chip 4.5-4.6ghz without pushing to much volts. 4.2 is enough for my gaming use, so why running faster, louder, hotter ? ... My opinion !
    BTTB - Gigabyte Z87X-OC - WCed I7 4770k - 2x8gb Ballistix 1600mhz - Zotac GTX 780
    Asus Xonar Pheobus - OS -> Toshiba Q 256gb - Games -> 2x Agility 4 256gb Raid0
    Corsair HX850 - Tecnofront HWD BenchTable - Asus VE278Q 5760x1080

    Serveur - Asus Z77m PRO - 2500K - NH-C12P - 4x4gb G.Skill Ares 1600mhz
    Agility 4 128gb - Corsair CX430M - 1TB Black - 2TB green - 2TB Red

    KatPat - Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 - FX-8320 - PH-TC14CS - 2x4gb Viper 1600mhz - GTS 450
    Samsung Evo 120gb - Corsair HX750 - Bitfenix Survivor White - Asus VE247H

  10. #10
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    351
    Quote Originally Posted by Boulard83 View Post
    +1 for pretty much everything above.

    ~1.4 is the max you can push into your Sandy chip 24/7 without having to worry 1 single second. Passed this point, its all up to you... Ive seen people running 3930k at over 1.5v 24/7 but i advised them they could degrade the chip way faster than normal at that Vcore.

    In the end, IMO, your better to find a good, stable, fast enough OC for your 24/7 use that stay within safe limit for the chip. I run relax OC as for my 24/7, currently a little 4.2ghz on my 3820, but i could run this chip 4.5-4.6ghz without pushing to much volts. 4.2 is enough for my gaming use, so why running faster, louder, hotter ? ... My opinion !
    I agree with what you're saying. But at 4.5 GHz - as it stands right now, my crash sims take 30-31 hours to run. And that's just with a standard benchark model. If I were to be running my own model, it will likely be more detailed than that and therefore; would take even longer to run.

    And then for my current combustion CFD models, the last one ran in 21 hours. But again, that'll increase as the models get more and more complicated/complex, so the difference between stock and OC may not really be much in the grand scheme of things, but being able to finish the runs just that much faster is still better overall. I dunno. I might actually have to build a SWaP plot. *sigh*
    flow man:
    du/dt + u dot del u = - del P / rho + v vector_Laplacian u
    {\partial\mathbf{u}\over\partial t}+\mathbf{u}\cdot\nabla\mathbf{u} = -{\nabla P\over\rho} + \nu\nabla^2\mathbf{u}

  11. #11
    Xtreme Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,233
    get yourself a dual socket, more cores, more threads, more power !

  12. #12
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Oregon - USA
    Posts
    833
    I'm not totally sure I agree with anyone here. Ive ran my 3930k at 1.44 volts @ 4.8ghz for like........ 6 or 7 months daily gaming use with the occasional 1.5-1.52v overclocking runs. My 3930k has not degraded one bit. On the contrary my chip has been hitting higher and higher clocks over time to my current top clock of 5.2ghz I used to make this 3dmark 11 run http://hwbot.org/submission/2341412_...80_13820_marks
    When I first got this chip 4.8ghz was the VERY maximum, and over time 4.9 became available, then 5ghz possible, then 5.1, and recently Ive been able to make 5.2ghz runs. Im sure its not entirely stable but we are talking about damage to silicone.
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    4930k @4.875
    G.Skill Trident X 2666 Cl10
    Gtx 780 SC
    1600w Lepa Gold
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB


  13. #13
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    351
    Quote Originally Posted by Boulard83 View Post
    get yourself a dual socket, more cores, more threads, more power !
    Well, the quad dual socket mini blade-in-a-2U (Supermicro Twin2) the chassis alone is $3500. Each of the Xeon E5-2670 that I was looking at cost the sum of my 3930K that I've now OC'd. Granted, that system will ultimately be more POWER efficient, but I'm not sure if it would necessarily be faster. (More cores = more intercore communication and moving data around doesn't actually do any useful, computational work).

    I still plan on getting that (total for that build for the first blade is around $6500, and by the time all's said and done, it'll run around $22k). But in the interim, I'm able to cut my simulation time down by 66%. (It was taking me too to save up for that).

    Quote Originally Posted by Ace123 View Post
    I'm not totally sure I agree with anyone here. Ive ran my 3930k at 1.44 volts @ 4.8ghz for like........ 6 or 7 months daily gaming use with the occasional 1.5-1.52v overclocking runs. My 3930k has not degraded one bit. On the contrary my chip has been hitting higher and higher clocks over time to my current top clock of 5.2ghz I used to make this 3dmark 11 run http://hwbot.org/submission/2341412_...80_13820_marks
    When I first got this chip 4.8ghz was the VERY maximum, and over time 4.9 became available, then 5ghz possible, then 5.1, and recently Ive been able to make 5.2ghz runs. Im sure its not entirely stable but we are talking about damage to silicone.
    Were you running it 24/7 HARD though? I think that's the difference. I managed to run Intel Burn Test at 4.8 GHz, but the moment that I actually try to run my simulations on it; it failed. Repeatedly. And it just kept needing higher and higher voltages to attempt to stabilize it. I think that I stopped trying to push it to 4.8 GHz at 1.48 V and it still failed to run the simulation. That and I think that the power required to push it to 4.8 GHz - the extra power isn't work the 300 MHz and the time that it would save on account of it. (After 30 hours, what's a few more minutes?).
    flow man:
    du/dt + u dot del u = - del P / rho + v vector_Laplacian u
    {\partial\mathbf{u}\over\partial t}+\mathbf{u}\cdot\nabla\mathbf{u} = -{\nabla P\over\rho} + \nu\nabla^2\mathbf{u}

  14. #14
    Xtreme Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Posts
    794
    It's no 3930k but I've ran my SB i7-2600k @ 5.0GHz, 24/7 stable at 1.5v for a little under a year (Fired up the system in February). No matter how hard I have tried, 5.1GHz is not stable with any BIOS so I am stuck with a chip limitation. It will boot to Windows at 1.45v but is prone to crashing during heavy loads.

    My computer is used mostly for gaming.
    Last edited by 3lfk1ng; 01-03-2013 at 10:26 AM.
    Computer: Intel i7-4770k | Asus Z87 Maximus VI Impact | 240GB Corsair Force GT | 240GB OCZ Vertex 3 | 16GB G.Skill Trident X 2400MHz | EVGA GTX690 Hydro Copper 4GB | Corsair AX850 | Steelseries 7G | Logitech G500 | 27" 2560x1440 Overlord Tempest X270OC 120Hz S-IPS
    Cooling: Koolance 380i CPU block | Swiftech Hydro Copper GPU block | EK X3 150 Reservoir | EK X-TOP D5 PWM drive | PrimoChill PrimoFlex PRO LRT Bloodshed red | Alphacool NexXxos 240mm XT45 | Alphacool NexXxos 280mm UT60 | Bitspower Fittings | 4x Bitfenix Spectre Pro 120mm | 2x Bitfenix Spectre Pro 140mm | Lamptron FC-5V2
    Case: Custom modded matte black Caselabs Mercury S3

  15. #15
    Xtreme Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    639
    sorry to bump this old thread, but I am hoping 1 year later people might have more experience with these chips. I recently got around to upgrading my old x58 to x79 and now my 3930k is @ 5ghz with 1.5v and I am curious if this is doable 24/7.
    May 30th, 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Haltech View Post
    Ive alrwady predicted that within 3 years, Sony will be purchased and liquidated.
    i7 920 D0 @ 2.8ghz // GTX 670 // Rampage II Extreme // 14GBs DDR3 // 550w PSU // corsair H100i // Corsair 800D

    i7 3770k stock // Maximus V Gene // 16GB @1600 // OCZ z850 //

    i7 3930k @ 4.5ghz // 780 SLI // P9X79-E WS // 16GB @ 1600 // AX1200i // and a horrible swiftech h220 // Carbide Air 540

  16. #16
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    105
    Quote Originally Posted by b0bd0le View Post
    sorry to bump this old thread, but I am hoping 1 year later people might have more experience with these chips. I recently got around to upgrading my old x58 to x79 and now my 3930k is @ 5ghz with 1.5v and I am curious if this is doable 24/7.
    ive had my 3930k running 1.45v 4.7GHz since it was bought(dec 2011 if im not mistaken), hasnt degraded at all

    hope that helps
    NF7 v2.0 | 2400XP-M @ 220 x 13.5 2970mhz | Prometeia Mach 2 Cooled | 2 x 256MB XMS3500| R9800Pro (497/430) on air |
    2x WD800JB Raid 0 | 1 x WD800JB (storage) | Antec TrueControl 550
    3dmark2001

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •