Thread: 2.1 speakers for film, music + gaming

Wanna look under my kilt?

2.1 speakers for film, music + gaming

Hey all. I've been looking at reviews and..... i'm stuck.

Some of the most consistently praised systems are out of production (e.g. Z2300) and/or the revised versions aren't as good (Soundsticks III)

Logitech appear to have QA problems (many people complaining about DOA or faults after a few months)

The Corsair SP2500s are a bit beyond my price

I have a couple of questions......

Who are Microlab and are they "any good?"

The Genius gamer systems are getting praise for being much better than their pricetag suggests....... despite the 1337 colour scheme.... are they *really* worth getting?

It would be nice to have something with a remote control or a wired control hub. I need an Aux in port in an easily accessible place and controls to change input

Cheers guys n gals
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Xtremeish
    Why not get some cheap floor standing speakers and an old Integrated amplifier? Just set up something like this for a friend of mine and it blows Z2300 out of the water without a second thought for less money.

Like these:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/speak...ders-702e.html

or these:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/speak...02s3s-oak.html

Lots of second hand stuff here, sure you can find something close to your location, or get them to ship.
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/speak...ified-adverts/
    Last edited by Kallenator; 12-19-2012 at 09:58 AM.
    Aber ja, naturlich Hans nass ist, er steht unter einem Wasserfall - James May
    Hardware: Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H, Intel i5 4670k @ 4GHz, Crucial DDR3 BallistiX, Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II, Corsair HX 650W, Samsung 830 256GB, Silverstone Precision -|- Cooling: Noctua NH-C12P SE14

PI in the face
    http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-ProMed.../dp/B000062VUO

Ive had them since they came out and still running strong. Now I use them as surround speakers in my home theater system lol! Subwoofer can get you into trouble with the neighbors for sure
    Quote Originally Posted by L0ud View Post
    So many opinions and so few screenshots

Xtreme Addict
    i tryed a lot of 2.1 kit...

the best for pc is cORSAIR sp2500

now @ 199$

http://www.corsair.com/en/pc-compute...er-system.html

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    promedia 2.1 is the best for clarity.

corsair if you like loud bumpy music.

if mostly movies id pick the corsair, mostly music promedia.

personally i dont buy prebuilt systems anymore easy enough to put together a decent reciver/speaker/sub 2.1 for the money that these companies want..

but i have been eyeballing that bose companion 3.1 system. its pretty rad and small.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by NKrader View Post
    promedia 2.1 is the best for clarity.

corsair if you like loud bumpy music.

absolutely false...

corsair have 6 separate amp... one for each speaker (subwoofer have dual coil)

the clarity of the tweeter are absolutely crystal clear precisely because have a dedicated amplifier and the filtering are active made by the dsp!

trust me... i have listened a LOT of kit...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIWJnpmX6O0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbYNkxUuUg4
    microphone does not capture the bass at all...but...
    Last edited by Andrea deluxe; 12-19-2012 at 12:18 PM.

Thanks for the suggestions

The Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 are out of production and the Corsair units are ?170+ in the UK. The separates route..... I'd have to do a whole lot more reading, but it's been on the "to do" list for a while, maybe now is the time for me to start learning my way around proper hi fi

Any more suggestions are welcomed though

I don't have the most space to work with, I can't have 19" rackmount-sized amps/equalisers, needs to be more like a shoebox shape
    Last edited by K404; 12-19-2012 at 12:50 PM.
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

XIP
    Same here

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea deluxe View Post
    absolutely false...

corsair have 6 separate amp... one for each speaker (subwoofer have dual coil)

the clarity of the tweeter are absolutely crystal clear precisely because have a dedicated amplifier and the filtering are active made by the dsp!

trust me... i have listened a LOT of kit...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIWJnpmX6O0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbYNkxUuUg4
    microphone does not capture the bass at all...but...
    wasnt saying they were bad.? where did you get that.. pro media still get the some of the best audiophile reviews.

to each their own, i like them both, for what they are good for.

and i have owned most of the computer sets of speakers for 6months+ so "trust me" lol
    everyone has differant ears. differant strokes for differant folks just in my experiance looking back I enjoyed the promedia the most, appart from the silly plug that breaks lol.. silly design flaw..

i got tired prefab mess and just use onkyo 606 plus infinity primus speakers. in a 2.1
    Last edited by NKrader; 12-19-2012 at 01:16 PM.

NooB MOD
    Z2300s were overrated, in fact all Logitech speakers are overrated. The problem is the type of person likely to review computer speakers is not someone likely to have been exposed to much other than computer speakers. I'm not going to say they sound particularly BAD, but they definitely aren't great. There's more to sound than big volume and no distortion, which are the only two tick boxes the Logitechs check.
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Intel is about to get athlon'd
    Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Oj101 View Post
    Z2300s were overrated, in fact all Logitech speakers are overrated. The problem is the type of person likely to review computer speakers is not someone likely to have been exposed to much other than computer speakers. I'm not going to say they sound particularly BAD, but they definitely aren't great. There's more to sound than big volume and no distortion, which are the only two tick boxes the Logitechs check.
    they wernt that bad if you really liked rap music, only

NooB MOD
    Hahaha the speaker equivalent of Beats headphones
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Intel is about to get athlon'd
    Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

I am Xtreme
    Genius and Microlabs are garbage, stay away.
    Klipsch linked above is actually pretty good, I would also recommend that.
    Try looking up used speakers, you can get nice large wooden ones fairly cheap. But yes, you may need an amp.
    But unless you are not listening to stuff alone, I would very much recommend grabbing a pair of headphones.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Please can we not mention b**** in a thread about audio?

Ah.... headphones. Want, but cannot have right now because I need to hear what's goin on around me
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by K404 View Post
    Ah.... headphones. Want, but cannot have right now because I need to hear what's goin on around me
    Just don't buy closed-back headphones. Open-back headphones provide little to none sound isolation. Plus most also sound better for the price.
    Last edited by zalbard; 12-19-2012 at 04:32 PM.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtremely Hot Sauce
    There are some worthy open and semi-open headphones at many different price points. You can easily go over $200 for just the headphones--nevermind the often necessary amp or the preferable DAC (or, at a minimum, a sound card like an Asus Xonar DX).

But yeah, much better sound for the price--at the price of convenience. Even Koss PortaPro's ($35) sound better than most computer speakers.

My toys:
    Asus Sabertooth X58 | Core i7-950 (D0) | CM Hyper 212+ | G.Skill Sniper LV 12GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | GeForce GTX 670-2048MB | OCZ Agility 4 512GB, WD Raptor 150GB x 3 (RAID0), WD Black 1TB x 2 (RAID0) | XFX 650W CAH9 | Lian-Li PC-9F | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Gigabyte EX58-UD3R | Core i7-920 (D0) | Stock HSF | G.Skill Sniper LV 4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | Radeon HD 2600 Pro 512MB | WD Caviar 80GB IDE, 4TB x 2 (RAID5) | Corsair TX750 | XClio 188AF | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Dell Dimension 8400 | Pentium 4 530 HT (E0) | Stock HSF | 1.5GB DDR2-400 CL3 | GeForce 8800 GT 256MB | WD Caviar 160GB SATA | Stock PSU | (Broken) Stock Case | Win Vista HP x86
    Little Dot DAC_I | Little Dot MK IV | Beyerdynamic DT-880 Premium (600 Ω) | TEAC AG-H300 MkIII | Polk Audio Monitor 5 Series 2's

Any more suggestions? (please...... things that are currently in production!)
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Xtreme Enthusiast
    You could always build speakers and tune them to your ears.

For headphones, Grado SR80i are excellent open back models. Sennheiser is supposed to make great open backed phones as well, but I'm not very versed in them. Admittedly, I go for closed back or in-ear models as of late.

There are also some very well reviewed Audio Technicas, but the model numbers aren't on the tip of my tongue right now.
    i7 2600k, 8GB 1866Mhz DDR3, GTX560 Ti, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4, CM Cosmos 1000 Case, and some green crap everywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandr0s View Post
    So you're saying I could use my own pee as coolant?

Xtreme Addict
    If you feel adventurous you could always Fab your own speakers. Purchase the best drivers, like Peerles and then get a decent amplifier to drive them...... a nice Class A Amp or a valve tube will give you unreal sound..... BTW this is a 56k warning job.
    この世界には 人の運命を司る 何らかの超越的な 〝律〝...... 〝神の手〝が 存在するのだろうか? 少なくとも 人は 自らの意志さえ 自由にはできな

Xtreme Cruncher
    I've been happy with budget offerings from Polk and Pioneer, they both used to go on sale at Newegg. For portable headphones i have the Koss KSC75 as well as the Panasonic HTF-600s for 30 bucks. My main cans after trying out a few different ones are the Ultrasone HFI-580.
    If you want it to thump you will still need to add a nice subwoofer to the mix, you'll need to save at least $200 for that.
    i3-8100 | GTX 970
    Ryzen 5 1600 | RX 580
    Assume nothing; Question everything