Thread: Any trade-offs with larger memory setup?

Xtreme Member

Any trade-offs with larger memory setup?

I'm in the process of researching a Core i7 workstation and I was wondering if there were any drawbacks to going with 32 or 64GB of RAM in terms of performance and stability. ie. would it still be feasible to expect to overclock a system with 32GB or more of memory?
    Step aside, and you won't have to feel the awesome wrath of my mustache!

I ran a 3960X at 4.6GHz for months using 32GB (4x8GB) of TridentX 2400MHz RAM in a RIVE with no issues whatsoever.
    Quote Originally Posted by chuchnit View Post
    Why do you always have to bring two sockets into everything?
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    Because a one socket system is only 1/2 a system..
    You got two balls don't you?
    I rest my case!

http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Banned
    The higher the RAM quantity the more likely that your system will be somewhat limited when overclocking. If you have an actual need for 32 or 64 GB. RAM then that should be more important than whatever minor reduction in overclocking is created by the added RAM. If your O/S and programs can't use 32-64 GB. of RAM then it's just wasted money. It's useful to keep the number of DIMMs to a minimum as more DIMMs mean more access time required for the IMC and thus can limit the overclockability of a system.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    I ran a 3960X at 4.6GHz for months using 32GB (4x8GB) of TridentX 2400MHz RAM in a RIVE with no issues whatsoever.
    Thanks Gunslinger, that's very encouraging information.

Quote Originally Posted by AMDforME View Post
    The higher the RAM quantity the more likely that your system will be somewhat limited when overclocking. If you have an actual need for 32 or 64 GB. RAM then that should be more important than whatever minor reduction in overclocking is created by the added RAM. If your O/S and programs can't use 32-64 GB. of RAM then it's just wasted money. It's useful to keep the number of DIMMs to a minimum as more DIMMs mean more access time required for the IMC and thus can limit the overclockability of a system.
    I've read a number similar comments along the way. Though I suppose I was hoping for improvements. Specifically where unlocked processors are concerned along with memory performance/tolerances improvements etc.

Needless to say, I guess they'll only be one real way to find out.

Thanks for the responses btw.
    Step aside, and you won't have to feel the awesome wrath of my mustache!

Quote Originally Posted by Smalltimer View Post
    I've read a number similar comments along the way. Though I suppose I was hoping for improvements. Specifically where unlocked processors are concerned along with memory performance/tolerances improvements etc.

Needless to say, I guess they'll only be one real way to find out.

Thanks for the responses btw.
    socket 2011 gives you 4 fast sticks since it has a quad channel memory controller. while the 2011 is slower at the same core count than the 1155 it dose do 2x as much ram so i guess that is what you are looking for since you could do 32GB in 4x8GB.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi