Thread: Would a PA 120.3 and Swiftech apogee HD work...

Xtreme Member

Would a PA 120.3 and Swiftech apogee HD work...

For an overclocked FX-8350 chip?

Airflow provided by 3 Corsair AF 140mm
    No decision made on a pump as of yet. Though my question is whether or not the PA 120.3 will be sufficient for an overlocked 8 core CPU, or... whether or not I could achieve better performance no.'s with other components?
    Last edited by Smalltimer; 12-12-2012 at 05:45 PM.
    Step aside, and you won't have to feel the awesome wrath of my mustache!

Xtreme Guru
    For just cpu - imho 3x120 more then sufficient, even on full load of stresstests and alikes. If with gpu on same loop, then with some hotter gpu-s more on partial load like gaming, as if both are fully loaded water-air deltaT might get a bit on high side.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Church View Post
    For just cpu - imho 3x120 more then sufficient, even on full load of stresstests and alikes. If with gpu on same loop, then with some hotter gpu-s more on partial load like gaming, as if both are fully loaded water-air deltaT might get a bit on high side.
    Hi Church,
    To answer your question, this would be only for the CPU.
    I have another PA 120.3 for my video card which will be in a completely different loop along with the chipset.

That being said, do you think it would be possible to squeeze any more performance with other peripherals?
    And finally, do you know who is making the best pump atm?
    I've been out of the watercooling loop for about 5 years.

the ddc3.25 is the best pump, i would just get the swiftech 18W pump and block in one (drive II) if you want the HD. if you dont have the fans already the swiftech helix are nice and cheap for that quality.

http://www.swiftech.com/apogeedrive2.aspx#tab1
    http://www.swiftech.com/Helix120mm-PWM.aspx

edit- 3.25 not 3.5
    Last edited by zanzabar; 12-12-2012 at 07:17 PM.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Should be fine. I run both my 7950 and my 2600k on a single MCR320 with perfectly fine temperatures.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    the ddc3.5 is the best pump, i would just get the swiftech 18W pump and block in one (drive II) if you want the HD. if you dont have the fans already the swiftech helix are nice and cheap for that quality.

http://www.swiftech.com/apogeedrive2.aspx#tab1
    http://www.swiftech.com/Helix120mm-PWM.aspx
    Thanks very much for the info.
    I can't seem to find any reference for a Laing DDC 3.5 anywhere. Could it go under another name?

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Laing DDC3.25, DDC3.2, Swiftech MCP355 are all 18W DDC pumps manufactured by Laing.

Swiftech MCP35X is a special Laing DDC3.25 with PWM control and a stronger pump curve.

Quote Originally Posted by Smalltimer View Post
    Thanks very much for the info.
    I can't seem to find any reference for a Laing DDC 3.5 anywhere. Could it go under another name?
    sorry, 3.25, and that block pump combo i liked is basically and apogee HD and 3.25 jammed together. it is nice and compact, and the pump stays way cooler with its ass in the case air and the heatsink.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Guru
    That being said, do you think it would be possible to squeeze any more performance with other peripherals?
    Imho not by much, as you'll start to get diminishing returns at some point. 3x120 should be reasonable maximum per cpu, i'd leave it at that.