Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: BOINC 7.0.40 update heads up

Xtreme Member

BOINC 7.0.40 update heads up

I tried updating my BOINC client to version 7.0.40 and completed tasks would not upload. Message tab said anonymous platform not supported. Different message that you get now that is ignored so if you're using an app info file do not update. Switched back to 7.0.36 and all is working again.

EDIT: Here's what the error message looks like.
    World Community Grid | Message from server: This project doesn't support computers of type anonymous
    Last edited by nanoprobe; 12-09-2012 at 06:35 PM.

You'll never know what you're living for until you know what you're willing to die for.

Xtreme Member
    I e-mailed one of the developers about this issue and this was his response.
    Starting with 7.0.40 you can't use the anonymous platform mechanism
    (i.e., app_info.xml) with WCG.
    However, there's a new "app config" feature that accomplishes
    the same purpose: see link below
    http://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/Clien..._configuration

May try this new app_config.xml option later but I'm staying with my current configuration for now. If someone tries this please post your results.

You'll never know what you're living for until you know what you're willing to die for.

Xtreme Member
    New message from Kevin at WCG
    This is because a bug was fixed in the BOINC client. World Community Grid has never supported the anonymous platform mechanism. However, because of two bugs, one in the client and one in the server, volunteers were able to fetch work using the anonymous platform at WCG.

The bug that is fixed in the BOINC client is that before 7.0.40, if you were using the app_info.xml file & your client supported an 'alt-platform', then the client would send 'anonymous' as the primary platform but also report an 'alt-platform' (which it should not have been sent).

The issue on the server side is as follows. When the server receives a request, it adds the primary platform and any alt-platforms that the project supports to an 'allowed platform' list. If the first platform on the allowed platform list is the anonymous platform, then the server code handles the request using the anonymous platform code path. If the list size is 0 then a message is reported back to the client that the platforms reported are not supported.

The server bug is that if the primary platform is the anonymous platform, then any alt-platforms should not be considered. Instead, the server code added the alt-platforms to the list anyway.

This is an issue for us because since we do not support the anonymous platform, that is discarded during processing and not added to the allowed platform list. However, the alt-platforms are added to the list. Since the list size is > 0, processing continues down the normal server side logic. It is this that caused the generation of the 'ignored app version' message. It also meant that if I user only specified hcc1 in their app_info.xml file, but they had opted into receiving work for more than hcc1, then they would be assigned work from those other projects and the client would immediately discard that work (and not report that fact to the server).

After discussing with BOINC, the decision was that volunteers should be able to have fine grain control over how many instances of a job are run on their GPU and that the anonymous platform mechanism is not the way that should be done. The decision was made to create the app_config.xml file so that volunteers could have control over this by making changes to the file which has been added in the 7.0.40 client. Volunteers at World Community Grid should be looking as this is stabilized as the way to run multiple copies of HCC1 GPU on your graphics card at one time.

Once the changes for the app_config.xml file are in a stable BOINC client release, we will disable the anonymous platform on the server side. We will provide warning in this forum before we do that and we will allow time for volunteers to upgrade to the stable client build before we disable the feature.
    Looks like we'll all be forced to use the new app_config.xml soon. The 7.0.40 version is still buggy so it may be a while. A version 41 is soon to be released.

https://secure.worldcommunitygrid.or...e,yes#lastpost
    Last edited by nanoprobe; 12-11-2012 at 03:00 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Currently testing 7.0.42 with the new app_config.xml. Works great and it's way easier to configure. You don't lose all your cache if you take it out of the project folder and you don't have to have tasks in cache to add it to the project folder. If you'd like to run GPU and CPU tasks you can assign 1 CPU to each project. IE you could run 1 CEP2, 1 GFAM, 1 DSFL etc, or any combination of GPU/CPU tasks you'd like to run.
    WARNING: If you're currently using an app_info file I would suggest you run through all the tasks your in your cache before you make the switch because when you switch from app_info to app_config you will lose them all. The old problem of losing them when you remove the app_info file can't be stopped AFAIK.

Here's what running 10 GPU tasks looks like.
    <app_config>
    <app>
    <name>hcc1</name>
    <max_concurrent>10</max_concurrent>
    <gpu_versions>
    <gpu_usage>.10</gpu_usage>
    <cpu_usage>.80</cpu_usage>
    </gpu_versions>
    </app>
    </app_config>

The max_current is the amount of tasks you want to run
    The gpu_usage replaces the <count> tag from the app_info
    The cpu_usage replaces the <avg_ncpus> and the <max_ncpus> tags from the app_info

I haven't tried it but to run CPU tasks I think it would look like this for each project you want to run.
    <app_config>
    <app>
    <name>name</name>
    <max_concurrent>N</max_concurrent>
    </app>
    </app_config>

If you want to run both just add this to the GPU code above.
    <app>
    <name>name</name>
    <max_concurrent>N</max_concurrent>
    </app>

Make sure you name the file app_config.xml and it still goes into the WCG project folder.

Have fun-crunch on.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Any errors yet nano? I'll drain my current cache on one machine to test. Will be nice to crunch other projects besides gpu instead of letting half my cores sit idle.

Xtreme Member
    add projects to app_info to solve your idle cores issue. DSFL may be problematic, although retro77 has it figured out, I just can't time my wu finishing to spare time properly and I hate wasting compute time, so I haven't got a chance to try it yet.
    Richland 6790K @ 4.713 Ghz / 2208 NB / 1123 gpu / 2304 Ram [96 Bclk]
    F2A85-M Pro, Mushkin Black 2133, iGPU (8760D)
    9.7L case (excluding 230mm fan) or 11.6L w/2nd rad fan

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bearcatrp View Post
    Any errors yet nano? I'll drain my current cache on one machine to test. Will be nice to crunch other projects besides gpu instead of letting half my cores sit idle.
    So far so good. Went from running 12 tasks to 16 on the test machine to see what would happen. No errors or invalids so far.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    So how do you run other projects besides GPU? Does this have to be added to the config file or through WCG? What are your times crunching 16 GPU wu's? Can changes be made to the file while boinc is running or shut down to make the changes?

Xtreme Member
    So how do you run other projects besides GPU? Does this have to be added to the config file or through WCG?
    I haven't tried to run other CPU projects but there is a thread @ WCG that might help here. I would say that selecting the CPU project in your preferences @ WCG would also be needed.

I copied this config xml file from someone who was running GPU and CEP2 CPU tasks. Looks like he was testing 1 CEP2 and 2 GPU tasks.

<app_config>
    <app>
    <name>cep2</name>
    <max_concurrent>1</max_concurrent>
    </app>
    <app>
    <name>hcc1</name>
    <gpu_versions>
    <gpu_usage>0.5</gpu_usage>
    <cpu_usage>1.0</cpu_usage>
    </gpu_versions>
    </app>
    </app_config>

What are your times crunching 16 GPU wu's? Can changes be made to the file while boinc is running or shut down to make the changes?
    The crunch times run about 16 tasks every 10-11 minutes on a 7970. I haven't run it long enough to know if it's any more efficient than running 12. The only advantage that might be gained is you'll log more run time for the same amount of results. That will help badge hunters. I figure in a week I'll have some results to compare. You can make changes to the file while BOINC is running but you still have to shut it down and restart it to make changes take effect. There is a request to the developers to not have to restart the client every time changes are made. Hopefully that can be accomplished in a future version.
    Last edited by nanoprobe; 12-14-2012 at 09:49 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thanks nano. What is the number to use to crunch 16 wu's? Might give my 7950 a try at this.

Xtreme Cruncher
    nano, how are u running version 7.0.40 when it is not even listed as a beta(just curious)?

Thank You for this thread, some good information to be aware of!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnmark View Post
    nano, how are u running version 7.0.40 when it is not even listed as a beta(just curious)?
    Good question. I was searching for a link earlier today.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Johnmark & Rob,

Follow this link and scroll down from 7.042 to 7.0.40 http://boinc.berkeley.edu/dev/forum_...id=6698&sort=5

Have a great weekend,
    Jean-Guy

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob_B View Post
    Good question. I was searching for a link earlier today.
    Actually I'm running 7.0.42.
    http://boinc.berkeley.edu/dev/forum_...8&sort=5#46743

Xtreme Member
    Thanks nano. What is the number to use to crunch 16 wu's? Might give my 7950 a try at this.
    This is for an app_config.xml. You'll need to update to BOINC version 7.0.42 for it to work. If you're still using an app_info you should finish your cache first before you update BOINC. You'll lose all your cache when switching if you don't and the app_info will not work in the new version.
    The app_config .xml goes into the same folder as the app_info.xml. (Make sure you remove the app_info. from the folder)

<app_config>
    <app>
    <name>hcc1</name>
    <max_concurrent>16</max_concurrent>
    <gpu_versions>
    <gpu_usage>.0625</gpu_usage>
    <cpu_usage>0.5</cpu_usage>
    </gpu_versions>
    </app>
    </app_config>

If you want to try this with the app-info change the <count> to 0.0625 and the <avg-ncpus> to 0.50 ( Assuming you have a hyperthreaded quad)
    Last edited by nanoprobe; 12-14-2012 at 01:59 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Now, on a FWIW note I've been playing with my XP box to see if it will run a certain amount of GPU and CPU tasks at the same time. It works but until the WCG techs come up with a way to do it with 1 profile you'll have to micro-manage it yourself. I haven't found a way to get HCC GPU tasks and non HCC CPU tasks on 1 profile. I use 1 profile to fill up the CPU cache and then switch it back to the GPU profile. Kind of a PITA. What I have below is an app_config for running 2 HCC GPU tasks and 2 SN2S tasks. Works like a charm. The only modification I made was to remove the <max_concurrent>2</max_concurrent> line from the GPU part of the file to see if the <gpu_usage>0.50</gpu_usage> line would control the amount of tasks running and it did. Leaving the max_concurrent line in also worked but I'm just playing.

<app_config>
    <app>
    <name>hcc1</name>
    <gpu_versions>
    <gpu_usage>0.50</gpu_usage>
    <cpu_usage>1.0</cpu_usage>
    </gpu_versions>
    </app>
    <app>
    <name>sn2s</name>
    <max_concurrent>2</max_concurrent>
    </app>
    </app_config>

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Nanoprobe,

Which version of windows XP are you running on that HCC GPU crunching rig and what ATI CAT version are you using?

Xtreme Legend
    Running smooth as silk on 7950 and on pairs of 5870's too. If one sets up the latter to run 9 per card ie. 0.1111 and then set 9 total instances max then one card takes only one instance and the other takes the rest....at least that seems to happen to mine. This may be useful to those looking to only load one card during certain periods. Try yours out to see what you get with different settings.

This is the mismatch I am describing:

<app_config>
    <app>
    <name>hcc1</name>
    <max_concurrent>9</max_concurrent>
    <gpu_versions>
    <gpu_usage>.1111</gpu_usage>
    <cpu_usage>0.4444</cpu_usage>
    </gpu_versions>
    </app>
    </app_config>

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by nanoprobe View Post
    I tried updating my BOINC client to version 7.0.40 and completed tasks would not upload. Message tab said anonymous platform not supported. Different message that you get now that is ignored so if you're using an app info file do not update. Switched back to 7.0.36 and all is working again.

EDIT: Here's what the error message looks like.
    World Community Grid | Message from server: This project doesn't support computers of type Xtremesystems
    Fixed!
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Member
    Thanks, MM. That was all it took to make me laugh, and I needed that.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob_B View Post
    Thanks, MM. That was all it took to make me laugh, and I needed that.
    That's what they pay me the big money for....
    Oh, wait! They don't..You mean I do this for free?
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeanguy2 View Post
    Nanoprobe,

Which version of windows XP are you running on that HCC GPU crunching rig and what ATI CAT version are you using?
    XP PRO SP3 32 bit. Driver version 12.1
    ATI no longer includes OpenCL support in any driver version above 12.1 for XP. That is the last one that includes the APP SDK runtime package that is needed.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Thanks Nanoprobe,

My XP rig is on CAT 12.8 crunching CPU WUs only. I got to find CAT 12.1 and re-install it to get the video card on that rig working....

Thanks again for the quick reply,
    Jean-Guy

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeanguy2 View Post
    Thanks Nanoprobe,

My XP rig is on CAT 12.8 crunching CPU WUs only. I got to find CAT 12.1 and re-install it to get the video card on that rig working....

Thanks again for the quick reply,
    Jean-Guy
    http://www.techspot.com/drivers/driv...rmation/15791/

Uninstall the 12.8 driver first and then run Driver Sweeper to remove the leftover junk before installing 12.1
    Make sure the APP SDK runtime is part of the install package. You can see if it's there by selecting the custom install option and installing only what you what to install. I don't remember if 12.1 has an audio driver as part of the install package.( I don't think it does) If it doesn't XP may bark at you when you reboot saying it found a new HD audio device. I just ignore/cancel it or you can search for an HD audio driver if you need it. Your audio will still work either way.

Xtreme Member
    I just updated to 7.0.42, after trying for days to time my cleaning of tasks to when I was available to update.
    Added the app_config for hcc and some other cpu projects.
    2 things learned.
    A) it doesn't seem neccesary to add each cpu app like with app_info, without them it still downloads and runs them, so the app_config really only needs to be set up for multi gpu wu's, at least for me thus far.
    b) if you want to run cpu hcc units along side the gpu ones, add gpu+cpu threads you want to run from hcc1 in conccurent threads.

Yeroon
    Richland 6790K @ 4.713 Ghz / 2208 NB / 1123 gpu / 2304 Ram [96 Bclk]
    F2A85-M Pro, Mushkin Black 2133, iGPU (8760D)
    9.7L case (excluding 230mm fan) or 11.6L w/2nd rad fan

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast