Thread: Mitsubishi Ending Rear Projection DLP sets

Xtreme Enthusiast

Mitsubishi Ending Rear Projection DLP sets

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/02/mitsubishi-rptv-rip/

"We can no longer sustain our business in its current form. Therefore, we'll no longer manufacture and sell our DLP rear projection televisions in the US."

[opinion]
    Unfortunately DLPs RPTVs were killed off by a dearth of consumer information and "wow" factor of hanging the TV from a wall. For gaming and action movies, they're second only to CRTs. Now we're forced to purchase sets that either burn in and/or fade (plasma) or are a blurry storm when watching action sequences (LCD). Samsung LED DLPs were glorious and the perfect combination of technology, but again killed off for the same reasons. Unfortunately people that buy a Vizio TV are to A/V enthusiasts, as the average "off the shelf box" PC consumer is to an XS enthusiast.

Too big and bulky?
    How often are you moving your TV? What, you taking your TVs to LAN parties?
    [/opinion]

Xtreme Enthusiast
    [opinion]
    I've seen many properly set up and non had the so called superior IQ that proponents swore unless in a pitch black room and looked they washed out if there is any ambient light. The greatest loss for us consumers is the value as they were very cheap for the size and only a touch more power hungry than a similar LED LCD.
    [/opinion]

Xtreme Mentor
    Lol plasma blury and burn in... Welcome to 2008 folks
    "Cast off your fear. Look forward. Never stand still, retreat and you will age. Hesitate and you will die. SHOUT! My name is…"
    //James

Quote Originally Posted by Dainas View Post
    [opinion]
    I've seen many properly set up and non had the so called superior IQ that proponents swore unless in a pitch black room and looked they washed out if there is any ambient light. The greatest loss for us consumers is the value as they were very cheap for the size and only a touch more power hungry than a similar LED LCD.
    [/opinion]
    one of my friends got one, it was great as long as there was no direct lighting. you also have to remember that the large format (60"+) lcds look terrible and do not come in 1080p IPS so it is ghost city. i have not seen a plasma over 60 in a home setting so i cannot comment on that but at 55" the mitsu looks better with no direct lighting.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesrt2004 View Post
    those are not plasma, and i have no idea what you are talking about. burn in has not been a problem for years now, and what is this blurry have you not seen a large lcd.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Enthusiast
    This very minute I'm here @ work sitting in front of two high end plasma TVs set up just over a year ago. Logos and lines are clearly burnt into both, even though I turned the pixel drift to high the day after I discovered the "installer" hadn't bothered to turn it on at all. The manufacture date is a month before they were installed, so they were as new as they could get.

Quote Originally Posted by WangChung View Post
    This very minute I'm here @ work sitting in front of two high end plasma TVs set up just over a year ago. Logos and lines are clearly burnt into both, even though I turned the pixel drift to high the day after I discovered the "installer" hadn't bothered to turn it on at all. The manufacture date is a month before they were installed, so they were as new as they could get.
    I've had my panasonic plasma since 2006. It has survived more non-stop gaming sessions than you would ever believe. We're talking 5-10 hours of the same game, life bars on the screen the entirety of that time-span. NEVER ONCE had burn-in. Just to throw a bit of extra cheese on the burger, it was also my computer monitor for 6 of those 7 years I've had it (meaning plenty of text on the screen for long periods of time). Absolutely no problem what-so-ever.

Also, to be brutally honest folks, pretty much all tv formats are horrible gaming wise. It's practically impossible to find a HDTV without input lag at all, and it seriously takes more research than finding mayan artifacts to find a current TV that doesn't have that problem. That's the primary reason that fighting game players and tournaments stick to specific computer monitors for their gaming--tvs lag even with their "game mode", and even a couple frames of lag is the difference between hitting and whiffing in a fighting game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon2ky
    "dammit kyle what's with the 30 second sex lately?" "Sorry sweetie, I overclocked my nuts and they haven't been stable since"
    Quote Originally Posted by trinibwoy View Post
    I don't think his backside has internet access.
    Quote Originally Posted by n00b 0f l337 View Post
    Hey I just met you
    And this is crazy
    But I'm on bath salts
    And your face looks tasty

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by DilTech View Post
    I've had my panasonic plasma since 2006. It has survived more non-stop gaming sessions than you would ever believe. We're talking 5-10 hours of the same game, life bars on the screen the entirety of that time-span. NEVER ONCE had burn-in. Just to throw a bit of extra cheese on the burger, it was also my computer monitor for 6 of those 7 years I've had it (meaning plenty of text on the screen for long periods of time). Absolutely no problem what-so-ever.

Also, to be brutally honest folks, pretty much all tv formats are horrible gaming wise. It's practically impossible to find a HDTV without input lag at all, and it seriously takes more research than finding mayan artifacts to find a current TV that doesn't have that problem. That's the primary reason that fighting game players and tournaments stick to specific computer monitors for their gaming--tvs lag even with their "game mode", and even a couple frames of lag is the difference between hitting and whiffing in a fighting game.
    Size is and complexity the biggest enemy, I have picked up a refurb back lit LED TCL (chinese no name bare bones brand) 43" for $280 and the thing is wonderful to game on, even auto sleeps when the signal dies like a proper monitor. However I have seen a TCL 48" model game, a friends set and the one that convinced me between the IQ and longevity that it was worth the risk. It still gameable, buit there is an ever so slight increase of lag. That 48" is fancier than my 43" with more 'features' than mine, and the the LG I had before even fancier and was very laggy. The more electronics to control IQ the laggier the set, and pixel size certainty doesn't help either. Theoretically DLPs don't suffer from this, but I've never gamed on one so don't know if mitsu kept them responsive.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    My son does most of his gaming on a 50" plasma, no burn in.

The motion is better as well. Have a 60" 120Hz LED panel also, and watching football isn't as bad as some LCDs I've seen, but it's not at plasma level either. I'd rather do plasma, but they're probably on the way out as well.

DLP were no surprise, people just want panels.
    Last edited by Rollo; 12-04-2012 at 05:05 PM.
    Intel 990x/Corsair H80 /Asus Rampage III
    Coolermaster HAF932 case
    Patriot 3 X 2GB
    EVGA GTX Titan SC
    Dell 3008

Xtreme Mentor
    Well i had a Samsung S4266W a 42inch DLP i bought around early 2007 and it was wonderful while it lasted which was 2 years 4 months. The color wheel had to be changed which was not in stock anywhere and importing meant almost $500-$600 investment

Got it exchanged for at that time latest 17inch HP computer LCD :P

In current market IPS are the best but the blacks make me sad in a big display so got a Samsung UA40ES6800R i must say its just a awesome display and best of all are the deep blacks. Yes it is a bit smaller but one gets used to the size really soon.
    Coming Soon

Xtreme Addict
    Noooo! I love my 73" Mitsu 3D DLP, was going to go w/ 93" if this one ever gave out.
    Quote Originally Posted by nn_step
    Well CPUs are like women they all like things specific ways for them.. Some love 8x and others Love 9x or 7x.. they all just have their G-Spot and you have to learn to use it..
    Quote Originally Posted by nn_step View Post
    He should have given up his nuts too. Since clearly anyone that wants any Apple product that bad, Should NOT ever breed.
    q6600 @ 2.6
    EVGA 680i
    OCZ fatal1ty ddr2 800
    8800gt SLI
    watercooled

Xtreme Member
    Plasma burn in is definitely no longer an issue from a quality manufacturer like Panasonic, Samsung, and LG except maybe in the case of extreme abuse like max brightness and constant image for days at a time. Otherwise even for long gaming sessions or sports watching with constant logos/ status bars it is not an issue. If you wanted a huge screen size though it is hard to argue with the Mitsubishi size/dollar ratio.
    Main PC
    i7 3770k
    Asus P8Z77-Deluxe
    4x4 GB Gskill Sniper
    Sandisk Extreme 240 GB
    Gigabyte GTX 670
    Coolermaster ATCS 840
    MCP35X - Apogee Drive II - MCR320

HTPC
    i7 920
    Gigabyte EX58 UD5
    Sapphire 5670
    3x2 GB OCZ Platinum @ 7-7-7-20
    Corsair HX-650
    Silverstone LC10
    Intel X25-M G2

Xtremeish
    I think they as well might be looking at Laser projectors like RED.

Meanwhile LCOS projectors are awesome, and you can get very decent ones second hand, recently bought a high end JVC RS20/HD750 for silly money and fixed it's minor faults.
    Aber ja, naturlich Hans nass ist, er steht unter einem Wasserfall - James May
    Hardware: Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H, Intel i5 4670k @ 4GHz, Crucial DDR3 BallistiX, Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II, Corsair HX 650W, Samsung 830 256GB, Silverstone Precision -|- Cooling: Noctua NH-C12P SE14

Xtreme Member
    Wait....people still buy Mitsubishi TVs? Anyone remember the bust that was the Laser Projection TV from Mitsubishi? The replacement laser projection units were almost just as expensive as the retail price of the whole Laser projection TV!

As for DLP rear projection TVs, I for one am glad that companies have moved beyond that. No one wants the bulk of something like that when you can get an LED backlit LCD TV of the same size. Plus with a LCD TV you don't have to worry about a damned projector bulb going out and costing you a bundle.
    - Autobot -
    Intel Q9400 (3.6Ghz) / Asus P5Q Deluxe / 8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800
    MSI R6970 Afterburner 2GB / Asus Xonar DX
    Crucial M4 128GB SSD / Seagate 640GB SATA2 / Lite-On DVD/RW Litescribe SATA
    XFX XXX-Edition modular 650W PSU
    Enzotech / Swiftech / Koolance

Xtreme Addict
    I have no reason to shed a tear. The only drawbacks plasma still has is a lot of reflection. But well, a lot of LCDs do have this issue now as well. I f.... hate Glaretype LCDs. Too bad too many people like watching soap operas.

In terms of burn in: I did not change any settings on my 42" Panasonic Plasma and went straight ahead watching football (the REAL football) and playing console games. Never had any burn ins or ghosts.

Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    those are not plasma, and i have no idea what you are talking about. burn in has not been a problem for years now, and what is this blurry have you not seen a large lcd.
    I think you misread his post. His post was meant to say that in 2008 plasmas blurried and burned in, but not anymore.
    Notice any grammar or spelling mistakes? Feel free to correct me! Thanks

Xtreme Cruncher
    Every rear projection TV i've seen from CRT to DLP based always starts looking terrible after a few years once dust starts collecting on the optics. On DLP sets, dust can bury itself way into the optic system.
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by WangChung View Post
    I have a plasma and done gaming for 10-12 hours straight on it and there is no problem either. On more than one occasion too. WangChung, you see a problem because (and this happens on CRT's too so you should stop touting how awesome they are in comparison) the same images are played for at least 8 hours straight, every day, for a year. Pixel drift will help a bit, but it only helps minimize the effect, it wont prevent the problem when the images are there for such a huge length of time.
    I love my plasma, it is a Viera TC-P55VT50. The TV is the most beautiful television I have ever seen and motion is easily the best I have seen too. That 240Hz interpolated crap that LCDs come with is terrible in comparison.

WHile there are a lot of good things about the Mitsubishi DLP's, there were also a lot of bad ones. And honestly the demand is pretty much non-existent. So it is good that the TVs are being dropped.
    Rig 1:
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Intel i5 3570K @ 4.75GHz
    16GB of Team Xtreme DDR-2666 RAM (11-13-13-35-2T)
    Nvidia GTX 670 4GB SLI

Rig 2:
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX
    AMD FX-8350 @ 5.6GHz
    16GB of Mushkin DDR-1866 RAM (8-9-8-26-1T)
    AMD 6950 with 6970 bios flash

Yamakasi Catleap 2B overclocked to 120Hz refresh rate
    Audio-GD FUN DAC unit w/ AD797BRZ opamps
    Sennheiser PC350 headset w/ hero mod

I lucked out with my Samsung LCD TV. It's an older one but once I turned game mode on the input lag is very, very low. I was pleasantly surprised.

I'm also not a pro-gamer either (not even close), so...
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Enthusiast

As someone who's gone to the EVO world championships a few times and owns a few arcade cabs you are correct. There's actually one specific monitor from ASUS that's fairly good on lag, nobody uses anything but that when it comes to HDTV. However you'll find a lot purists that still play on CRTs for fighters. Fighting games are the only games where it matters that much though, simply because every single thing you do is all handled by single frames, and honestly not that many gamers are going to be affected by 1-3 frames of lag. The problem is that LCD/LEDs, high end ones particularly, go way over that.
    AMD Phenom II BE, ASUS Crosshair II formula, 8gb ddr2 800, 470 SLI, PC P&C 750, arcera RAID, 4x OCZ Vertex2, 2x samsung 7200 1tb, HT Omega Clario +