Thread: Tripods

Xtreme Enthusiast

Tripods

So, I think I need a real tripod. I want something that can either stand tall or go wide and do the splits. What (if any) tripods are you guys using? Anything you like/hate about your pod? Any recommendations?

Xtreme Member
    I personally like Gitzo, but their ball head sucks, however, I got two on off center and one on center.
    The tripod model I use is GT2530EX because I want to do any angle I want, there no preset angle like others.
    and the other Gitzo I have is aluminum Huge 4 series Studio use tripod it can go up to 7 feet. But SUPER heavy about 12lbs.

So first question is how tall do you need, usually if you use it for outdoor you just need your eye level, and if you shoot portrait then you do need to have a ball head or the kind I have which is the the center column is offset so you can till it to horizontal. Long story short, what kind of photography do you shoot?

Q9450 w/120 extreme
    Maximus II Formula
    G.Skill 4gb 8800 w/ crosair fans
    Sapphire HD4870 512 w/ T-Rad2
    2x 300gb velociraptor RAID0
    2x 500 gb SATA
    Cooler Master 850w PSU
    CM 590 Case

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Mostly outdoors nature stuff. I think I've settled on the manfrotto 190CXprob, it's on sale :p

XS News
    I've personally looked at this, http://www.amazon.com/Vanguard-Alta-...al+dslr+tripod Looks superb, let me know how yours works out.
    i7-3820
    SB Z
    16GB 2200
    GTX690
    1KW Lazer

Xtreme Enthusiast
    So far I'm very happy with the manfrotto. It's absurdly light, almost to the point of being too light. The leg locking things are ok, but I need to mark the legs because getting all the legs out at the same length is very hard, nothing a marker can't fix, but annoying none the less. I do like that it doesn't need to be coddled. I toss it around like a used rag and it has yet to show signs of it's poor treatment, it's quite well made

Xtreme Legend
    Manfrotto 055 PROB. You can reconfigure it to shoot straight down. Love it for reviews. I've had it for like 6 years now and I doubt I'll have to buy another tripod in my life.