Thread: Gigabyte GA-X79-UD5 doesn't show drive list when rebooting?

Gigabyte GA-X79-UD5 doesn't show drive list when rebooting?

Hello,

Not really an xtreme question, but it seems that my new GA-X79-UD5 (BIOS P12) shows the drives, memory found, etc. only when it boots from a power down, but not when rebooting (whether I tell it to show the full screen logo or not). My previous GA-X58-UD5 showed the drives and memory detected at each reboot. Now I only have an American Megatrends logo and a black screen.

For those who have the same mobo: normal ?

Thanks
    Watercooling since 2005. Primary requirement for any components in my system is 0db: no fans are allowed anywhere. All components are liquid cooled with passive convection. I do not overclock.
    The system is just completely rebuilt. If the only fan (PSU) starts to spin, I will cool it with 3M Fluorinert liquid.

Gigabyte GA-X79-UD5 (EK and Watercool.de waterblocks) - Core i7 3820 (EK Supremacy) - 4x4B Corsair Dominator 2133 (passive) - Gigabyte GTX 670OC (EK bloc) - Samsung 830 and 840 SSD 2x256GB - 2x WD 1TB Raid Edition (enclosed in Alphacool Silentstar dual drive liquid coolers) - Seasonic P1000 platinum 1000W PSU (no fan up to about 350W) - Eheim HPPS pump - HP LTO5 Ultrium tape drive (with self made large passive cooling block on ATTO H644 SATA3 controller - 2 Innovatek radiators for passive, fanless cooling of the liquid (and heating of my room) - 3 Fujitsu Siemens P19 displays on great Matrox TripleHead2Go - alle Innovatek cooling and tubing accessories.

Banned
    I can't answer your question on that particular mobo/BIOS but many systems only show the memory and CPU details, etc. from a cold boot. This is a pretty normal BIOS design. They assume that you already know the system specifics if you're doing a warm re-boot, so they don't show them again.

My X79-UD5 always showes the drives and the detected memory at each boot. No matter if I start it up from a power down or just rebooting.
    Why won't ya flash a newer BIOS version and check out if the behavior has changed.
    AMD 7800X3D@watercool-Heatkiller IV Pro| ASUS Crosshair X670E Hero | NVidia Founders Edition 4090 @watercool_Waterblock H²O@Mo-Ra3|Seasonic Fokus-GX 1000W| 2*16 GB G.Skill@F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5N | Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB |Gigabyte Aorus NVMe Gen4, Samsung 850 PRO 1 TB| Cooler Master CoSmoS II |LG OLED42C21LA 106 cm (42 Zoll)|Windows 11 Prof. 64 bit
    Sound: AVR-X3600H@5.1 Nubert-NuVero70

Sorry, I couldn't come back to this thread for a while.
    So I understand from Fritz that there must be something weird at that level with my board. In my case I only see the American Megatrends brand name and logo, nothing else; the the output of an Atto SAS controller I have, then again Amercian Megatrends + logo, then finally it goes into the Windows boot selection (BCD/NTLDR).
    It was on BIOS v12 when I bought it (December), I've upgraded it to 13p because of iRST issues. No difference. Would anyone else have an idea?
    Tnx.
    Watercooling since 2005. Primary requirement for any components in my system is 0db: no fans are allowed anywhere. All components are liquid cooled with passive convection. I do not overclock.
    The system is just completely rebuilt. If the only fan (PSU) starts to spin, I will cool it with 3M Fluorinert liquid.

Gigabyte GA-X79-UD5 (EK and Watercool.de waterblocks) - Core i7 3820 (EK Supremacy) - 4x4B Corsair Dominator 2133 (passive) - Gigabyte GTX 670OC (EK bloc) - Samsung 830 and 840 SSD 2x256GB - 2x WD 1TB Raid Edition (enclosed in Alphacool Silentstar dual drive liquid coolers) - Seasonic P1000 platinum 1000W PSU (no fan up to about 350W) - Eheim HPPS pump - HP LTO5 Ultrium tape drive (with self made large passive cooling block on ATTO H644 SATA3 controller - 2 Innovatek radiators for passive, fanless cooling of the liquid (and heating of my room) - 3 Fujitsu Siemens P19 displays on great Matrox TripleHead2Go - alle Innovatek cooling and tubing accessories.