Thread: How to prevent BOINC from hammering WCG with uploads?

Xtreme Cruncher

How to prevent BOINC from hammering WCG with uploads?

The GPU created wu's are being uploaded to the WCG servers as soon as completed, hammering the server.

Read here that I should use the following cc_config.xml to prevent this. So I placed it in the boincdata folder, but it doesn't change anything? No error in the event log so it appears as though the file was read by boinc?

<cc_config>
    <options>
    <use_all_gpus>0</use_all_gpus>
    <report_results_immediately>0</report_results_immediately>
    </options>
    </cc_config>

Don't think the WCG servers need any more of a work out than they are already getting with the GPU app.

TIA

Xtreme Legend
    Code:
    <cc_config> 
       <options> 
          <!--report results immediately, only use when project is running low, otherwise it stressed the servers (0 is default, 1 is immediate)--> 
          <report_results_immediately>0</report_results_immediately> 
          <!--Make sure this is larger than the per project number (8 by default)--> 
          <max_file_xfers>10</max_file_xfers>  
          <!-- Set this to the number of transfers you would like to allow at the same time (2 by default) --> 
          <max_file_xfers_per_project>8</max_file_xfers_per_project>  
       </options> 
       <log_flags> 
       </log_flags> 
    </cc_config>
    Have a play with this maybe???

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

Xtreme Addict
    The client always uploads completed work as soon as it finishes the WU. The <report_results_immediately> tag controls when the client reports the WU complete. With it set to 0 it will keep the WUs in a "Ready to Report" state until it need to fill its cache back to the minimum set in the profile. Because the GPU WUs complete so quickly I also changed the tag to 0. What I see is that it didn't stop the reporting as soon as the upload completed because the WUs are completing so quickly the client needs to fill the cache every time one completes.

FYI, the line "28-Nov-2012 02:40:40 [---] Config: report completed tasks immediately" will appear in the event log if it's set to 1 but with it set to 0 it doesn't show any entry in the log that it's suppressed.

Sorry, OC replied while typing this. My old fingers just don't work fast enough :-)

Xtreme X.I.P.
    JohnMark,

I used to use a CC_config file to stop immediate reporting by BOINC manager and it worked OK. SnowCrash then told me to adjust my numbers for the WU to be processed caches 0.75 day / 0.15 day. (Cache / extra cahe). I made those adjustments and removed the cc_config file.

My system is now reporting completed WUs every 18 to 20 WUs. Reduced the later ratio (extra WUs) until you get the reporting freq you like. Reduced or increase the first number until you are just short of you total allowance of 400 GPU WUs per CPU.

The cc_config file I used had 2 more line of code in it and was located in C:\ProgramData|BOINC

<max_file_xfers>xx</max_file_xfers> (xx was 8 for me)
    <max_file_xfers_per_projects>xx</max file_xfers_per_projects> (xx was 220 in mine

If the cache ratio adjustment does not work for you let me know and I will senf you the CC_config file I used.

Xtreme Legend
    The speed of your fingers is of no import Bill, your knowledge is, however, Key

Looking at this makes me wonder if there is such a setting as <min_file_xfers>

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

Xtreme Cruncher
    It's all about balance ...
    Yes, if you are using config to <report_immediately>1 ... please stop, either set to 0 or remove that tage entirely.
    And get your <flops> tags tweaked to be fairly accurate
    Now turn down cache to a really low number on the min and use 0 on the addtional
    Slowly step up the min until you get a message in Boinc Manager saying you've reached the limit.
    Step down a hair until you get the "not requestng new tasks".
    Finally step down the min buffer by a very small amount (anywhere from .01 to .15) and increase you additional buffer by that same amount.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by wplachy View Post
    The client always uploads completed work as soon as it finishes the WU. The <report_results_immediately> tag controls when the client reports the WU complete. With it set to 0 it will keep the WUs in a "Ready to Report" state until it need to fill its cache back to the minimum set in the profile. Because the GPU WUs complete so quickly I also changed the tag to 0. What I see is that it didn't stop the reporting as soon as the upload completed because the WUs are completing so quickly the client needs to fill the cache every time one completes.

FYI, the line "28-Nov-2012 02:40:40 [---] Config: report completed tasks immediately" will appear in the event log if it's set to 1 but with it set to 0 it doesn't show any entry in the log that it's suppressed.

Sorry, OC replied while typing this. My old fingers just don't work fast enough :-)
    I found the same thing, which is odd as themax_file_xfers tag should hold back the uploads? So now I'm on to tweaking the cache numbers as has been suggested.
    Had already done that and the setting's I had did not cause uploading all the time, so something must have changed in the last day or so. And I do have cc_config set up properly using a 0

Changing the cache value's to .15 and 0 seems to be working, just need to fine tune it in order to keep cache near full.

Guys u think I should just delete the cc_config file, as the settings I want don't seem to work? Don't want to cause any problems

Thanks guys!

Xtreme Cruncher
    I'm not using a config file anymore.
    The thing about any tag that says <max> ... it is only defining the max it does not control the min.
    The closer you get to the maximum number of WUs allowed (400 at a time) the more important it becomes to offset yoiur min buffer with a little bit on additional buffer.