Thread: EHEIM 1250 water pump

EHEIM 1250 water pump

I just got me one of these pumps and was wondering if it can be used submerged?? as the instructions seem a little comfusing (translation 2 english didn't go to well). Also i was going to put this in my stainless steel resivoir but how much heat do these put out??

My system is gonna go like the following any comments?

RES -> (water pump in res) -> RAD -> WB(CPU) -> RES

(later might split off another section to my GPU as i think i will be ok for flow)

Thanx
    SyNtH
    -------

1250s run fine submerged, I know this from personal experience. If you're talking about heat from the pump, don't worry about that either, usually the pumps only get slightly warm to the touch. I noticed a ~1C drop in temps when I went inline.

yer heat from the pump....sweet so thats settled, ummm you cant run the pumps when they r dry can you?? i was just curious to see how loud it is while i've got it sitting here at work.
    SyNtH
    -------

Xtreme Legend
    I had problems running the rad after the resevoir. The heat was building up in the res pretty bad over extended time.

true good point and that can't be good for pump life..

so what would u recommend

RES -> CPU -> RAD -> RES ???

thanx
    SyNtH
    -------

Xtreme Legend
    yes more than likely. What rad are you using? I like the pump and have submerged it as well.

A lot of people do the Res>CPU>Rad>Res deal without problem. As for running the pump dry, I wouldn't recommend it. A few seconds won't hurt but there's no point because the pumps sound very different when there's water in them - not very pleasant when run dry. I left a Danner magdrive pump running overnight with a vinegar-water mixture to clean out my system and the water managed to leak out due to a small hole in my rad; the pump developed a leak in the housing after running dry for a few hours.

Chong: using a Black Ice Extreme, will let ya know what it's like next week when i set it all up. (just mad the res, stainless steel...)

Leo: yer just put the pump in a bucket of water, damn thing nearly drained the bucket in the short time i had it going
    SyNtH
    -------

sweet set it up last nite and my case temp is 21c and the CPU is 25c (idle) , i sure noticed my case temp go up with no fans in there (case side off) thats not bad using a pretty slow / low CFM 120mm fan on the Rad and havn't overclocked yet (1800xp) so we will see how it goes.
    SyNtH
    -------

Xtreme Member
    The E1250 puts about 15W into the water to cool the motor.

The pump can be run submerged or in-line. The pump is very quiet 15-20 db when it is on.

yer i got mine submerged it's nice and quite which is good, it does however vibrate quite a bit in its current environment but i can stop that later....

umm with the coolant i'm just using tap water and some anti-freeze is this alright???

SyNtH
    SyNtH
    -------

Xtreme Member
    umm with the coolant i'm just using tap water and some anti-freeze is this alright???
    Anti-freeze is unecessary unless you are using it as an anti-algae agent.

Anti-freeze will hurt the capabilities of the system.

yer i was using the anti freeze as an anti-corrosive and anti-algae any better solutions?? and don't say water wetter caus i can't get that here
    SyNtH
    -------

Xtreme Member
    Use normal water and a dash of bleach. That is what I use.

Actually, I use a little soap to help the bleeding process.

have fun. Let me know how it goes.

Ritalin Junkie
    the best order to set up the watercooling is:
    pump -> rad -> block(s) -> res -> pump
    putting the res before the pump makes for the easiest possible filling,
    and before entering the block, the water should be at the coolest possible state, and that is after the radiator.
    after all, you are not cooling the pump, or the res, you are cooling the blocks.
    Last edited by dmitriyaz; 10-01-2002 at 09:12 PM.

Xtreme Member
    dmitriyaz,

The most optimal place to put a block would be where there is the most pressure on the inlet. IE right after the pump.

I do realized that pumps put heat into the water themselves, but an E1250 only puts about 15W. Assuming you are using ambient water cooling, water temp hardly varies between different parts of the setup, .5- 1C from coolest to warmest. So the idea of "where the water is the coolest" is kind of obselete.

All in all, it really does not matter the order, but if you want the theoretical best place, immediately after the pump is the way to go.
    Last edited by will_perdikakis; 10-04-2002 at 10:50 PM.

Ritalin Junkie
    interesting thought,
    i am not exactly following though,
    why would the pressure be higher right after the pump than it would be after the radiator, which in turn is after the pump?
    i'd think the pressure and the flow are the same in all parts of loop...
    and even if the pressure is slightly differnt, based on the fact that the channel ID may vary in different parts of the loop, to get any temperature difference based on pressure delta, you'd have to have a very high pressure pump (which i, by the way, do: 36 feet head ),
    ...i doubt that would be relevant here, since its just an E1250 we are talking about.
    Last edited by dmitriyaz; 10-04-2002 at 11:18 PM.