Thread: 1000C to -150C in 1/100th of a second

Xtreme Member

1000C to -150C in 1/100th of a second

This is the technology invented by a British company for a space plane... now just imagine if applied to computers??

http://news.yahoo.com/british-compan...--finance.html
    British company claims biggest engine advance since the jet

The space plane, dubbed Skylon, only exists on paper. What the company has right now is a remarkable heat exchanger that is able to cool air sucked into the engine at high speed from 1,000 degrees Celsius to minus 150 degrees in one hundredth of a second.

Please please please??? CPUs to 1 terahertz, yes we can!

Xtreme Mentor
    that cpu will not understand what happened to her.

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

so the cpu goes from +30 to -150c and says *crack*

I like large posteriors and I cannot prevaricate

Santas

I can't think of many materials that will take to that fast of a temperature change too kindly.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Wanna look under my kilt?
    Did they get permission from Napier to use the Sabre engine name, or was it never protected?

It's crazy to think that jet engines have "limited" us to M2-2.5 since the E.E. Lightning hit mach 2 in the 1960s......and that appeared to be limited by the structural integrity of the rest of the plane!
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by K404 View Post
    Did they get permission from Napier to use the Sabre engine name, or was it never protected?

It's crazy to think that jet engines have "limited" us to M2-2.5 since the E.E. Lightning hit mach 2 in the 1960s......and that appeared to be limited by the structural integrity of the rest of the plane!
    The SR-71 could cruise at M3.2 and it was turbojet powered, although the afterburner behaved more like a ramjet at high mach speeds.
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

Xtreme Enthusiast
    this technology isn't just to cool down air ? anything solid will mostly results in crack.
    Main Rig:
    Processor & Motherboard:AMD Ryzen5 1400 ' Gigabyte B450M-DS3H
    Random Access Memory Module:Adata XPG DDR4 3000 MHz 2x8GB
    Graphic Card:XFX RX 580 4GB
    Power Supply Unit:FSP AURUM 92+ Series PT-650M
    Storage Unit:Crucial MX 500 240GB SATA III SSD
    Processor Heatsink Fan:AMD Wraith Spire RGB
    Chasis:Thermaltake Level 10GTS Black

Xtreme Enthusiast

I did some work on this engine in late 1988

I did some programe work for the early engine design on a Cray XMP48 on the design of the air intake as a research student. I use to turn a lot of data in coloured pictures of the air intake using 3 D modeling. The bigest problem was the amount of O2 in the air past 100,000 feet to burn with the fuel, the question was when would the plane have to use the internal oxygen.

The headline is a load of Bull, the temperature of the air is due to the speed of the plane and the high temperature is caused by friction of the atoms agaist the metal surfaces of the plane. In this case the air at Mach5 hitting the blades of the turbine generates the 1000C.

The simple solution is to take the air into a camber and allow it to expande to use a simple law of science. A compressed gass allowed out to expand will decrease in temperature "Gas Law". Concord also had the same problem and the same solution, the air intakes gave way to a large expansion chamber that cooled and slowed down the air to allow the engines to work.

In my day it was called HOTOL.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HOTOL

This is just a Headline to attract 250,000,000 pounds to build the prototype plane!
    Last edited by chinaguy; 12-05-2012 at 12:19 AM. Reason: hotol link
    24/7 PC CoolerMaster CM690 + 7 fans(its HOT as HELL in Shanghai) Intel Xeon E3 1230 3.3-3.7Ghz, 2x8GB DDR3 1600 G-Skill, HD GT630 2GB, Scandisk Pro 256SSD 2x2TB Green, 2x 3TB WD Green Data Drives. HTPC Q8400, EP45 UD3L 4x1GB Gskill6400, 1xWD Black 640GB,2x2TB WD Green, 2xWD 1TB Blue(RAID1), Sapphire 4530 512MB,

Computers have enabled people to make more mistakes faster than almost any invention in history, with the possible exception of tequila and hand guns.

Mitch Ratcliffe, U.S. technology journalist and blogger

Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Lead Head View Post
    The SR-71 could cruise at M3.2 and it was turbojet powered, although the afterburner behaved more like a ramjet at high mach speeds.
    What altitude for M3.2?
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Xtremeish
    Quote Originally Posted by K404 View Post
    What altitude for M3.2?
    From Wiki.

Performance
    Maximum speed: Mach 3.3[83][84][N 5] (2,200+ mph, 3,530+ km/h, 1,900+ knots) at 80,000 ft (24,000 m)
    Aber ja, naturlich Hans nass ist, er steht unter einem Wasserfall - James May
    Hardware: Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H, Intel i5 4670k @ 4GHz, Crucial DDR3 BallistiX, Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II, Corsair HX 650W, Samsung 830 256GB, Silverstone Precision -|- Cooling: Noctua NH-C12P SE14

To my knowledge, fast-moving vehicles in the atmosphere are heated almost exclusively by the compression of the air through which they move, not friction as commonly believed.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    To my knowledge, fast-moving vehicles in the atmosphere are heated almost exclusively by the compression of the air through which they move, not friction as commonly believed.
    Friction!
    24/7 PC CoolerMaster CM690 + 7 fans(its HOT as HELL in Shanghai) Intel Xeon E3 1230 3.3-3.7Ghz, 2x8GB DDR3 1600 G-Skill, HD GT630 2GB, Scandisk Pro 256SSD 2x2TB Green, 2x 3TB WD Green Data Drives. HTPC Q8400, EP45 UD3L 4x1GB Gskill6400, 1xWD Black 640GB,2x2TB WD Green, 2xWD 1TB Blue(RAID1), Sapphire 4530 512MB,

Computers have enabled people to make more mistakes faster than almost any invention in history, with the possible exception of tequila and hand guns.

Mitch Ratcliffe, U.S. technology journalist and blogger

Ah. I was thinking Topospheric, not Mesospheric (or overall)

Or maybe i'm just wrong
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______