Thread: OCZ RMA question

Xtreme Member

OCZ RMA question

I have a question. I received a replacement unit from ocz 3 years ago( Z SERIES 550W). I unpacked it 6 months ago. It flaked out a few weeks ago, wont stay on and reboots constantly. Replace with another unit, the computer is working perfect now. OCZ has the right to refuse RMA, seeing that I am aparently past the 3 year warranty.

Unfortunately, your warranty has expired. The warranty for your original PSU was for three years from date of purchase. The warranty does not reset with an RMA replacement. I can add 90 days to your warranty for an RMA replacement, but this still puts you three years out. I am sorry, but an RMA cannot be created for this PSU.

I just want to know what people thought about this, I know they are right, but I can't help but feeling cheated a bit. 2 faulty units, and that's it? Am I at fault for not testing the replacement unit right away? Anyways, it worked for a few months, so nothing would of showed up within the few first hours/days....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

i3 530 @ 4.2 ghz, evga FTW, 4 gig gskill trident @ 1600 6-8-6-24, XFX 4870 1gb, corsair 620hx, 2 x kinston 64gig ssd raid0, 300 gig Velociraptor, 2Tb WD green,
    Tagan black pearl (lian-li v2000)
    Water: mcp655, mcr320 with ultra kazes, GTZ, mcr60, micro-res,
    black primochill, bitspower comp. fittings
    Quote Originally Posted by Afghan Mac View Post
    We'll spend a few hundred bucks because the color isn't quite right. We have no qualms voiding warranties on a thousand dollar item the day we get it.

Banned
    Unfortunately they are right. The reason it's unfortunate is because OCZ has shipped a lot of shoddy PC hardware be it PSUs, SSDs or other items and consumers are the one's who ultimately end up paying. When an SSD bites the dust you could lose a lot of data, software, the O/S depending on what version you bought, etc.

This is why I find it totally unacceptable that more attention isn't focused on unscrupulous PC hardware and software manufacturers. Many reviewers just blow this stuff off because they aren't the one's taking the financial hit or being massively inconvenienced when a shoddy hardware product that is rushed to market without proper validation, fails.

Xtreme Member
    As with all warranties, it does not matter how much you used the product. We stand behind our products fully. That is what the warranty is for.

You can be sure I will not be a ocz customer. I understand this is standard procedure, but I cannot take these chances again. I have had super service form other companies, who dont care about a month or two, and rather have a repeat costumer.

We stand behind our products fully
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

i3 530 @ 4.2 ghz, evga FTW, 4 gig gskill trident @ 1600 6-8-6-24, XFX 4870 1gb, corsair 620hx, 2 x kinston 64gig ssd raid0, 300 gig Velociraptor, 2Tb WD green,
    We'll spend a few hundred bucks because the color isn't quite right. We have no qualms voiding warranties on a thousand dollar item the day we get it.

Banned
    Some companies have a Biz model based on the trick-of-the week mentailty. They rush half-baked or shoddy products to market and to reviewers to get glowing reviews, which are often meaningless in the grand scheme of life. As a result consumers are duped into believing these products are quality products when they are not. It's a dirty little secret in the PC Biz amongst other industries which do similar.

The better companies sell quality products that have been properly validated and if they encounter some issue over time, they stand behind their product and honor the warranty or provide a one-time discount on a replacement item, because they know the lifetime value of a customer. The hit-and-run types of businesses are always changing their Biz model to keep from shuttering their doors, as reality eventually catches up to them.

once the warranty from the initial purchases is over they are doing with you now. they no longer give you refresh period affter each replacement, they dont care if your drive died in under a year, they dont care if the drive died since they use the cheapest nand (1st gen toshiba th58nvg6d1dtg20) that was recalled by most vendors.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Banned
    No manufacturer that I know of gives you a new warranty period on a warranty replacement product but the point is the original and replacement units should not be failing prematurely if they were of proper quality. For what the companies are selling the products at most people would expect the products to at least survive the warranty period plus several years in many cases.

If you bought a car with a 3 year powertrain warranty, you wouldn't expect the engine or trans to fail in less than 3 years nor a replacement engine or trans installed under warranty, to fail in less than 3 years from the date when it was installed. It's unrealistic to suggest that this is acceptable product quality.

Quote Originally Posted by AMDforME View Post
    No manufacturer that I know of gives you a new warranty period on a warranty replacement product but the point is the original and replacement units should not be failing prematurely if they were of proper quality. For what the companies are selling the products at most people would expect the products to at least survive the warranty period plus several years in many cases.

If you bought a car with a 3 year powertrain warranty, you wouldn't expect the engine or trans to fail in less than 3 years nor a replacement engine or trans installed under warranty, to fail in less than 3 years from the date when it was installed. It's unrealistic to suggest that this is acceptable product quality.

ocz used to give you an extra 1.5 years (half the warranty) on every replacement, it is also common to get a new warranty every time you change drives with HDDs and older SSDs, i get that they do not need to give you an infinite warranty but i have never had one last more than a year.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400

Can I ask why after having it replaced, you waited 2 and a half years to use it? Did you not even test it to see if it worked as per spec?

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo Hoodoo View Post
    Can I ask why after having it replaced, you waited 2 and a half years to use it? Did you not even test it to see if it worked as per spec?
    he said he started using it 6 months ago, i rarely ever wait on a psu rma, so it would just get tested then wait around with no use as a spare.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    ocz used to give you an extra 1.5 years (half the warranty) on every replacement, it is also common to get a new warranty every time you change drives with HDDs and older SSDs, i get that they do not need to give you an infinite warranty but i have never had one last more than a year.
    I'm not saying that you are wrong, but I've 've never seen any HDD maker that gave you a new warranty with a replacement drive nor any SSD maker. Virtually every warranty I have ever read states the replacement drive is only covered for the remainder of the original warranty. If they were willing to extend the warranty 1.5 years, that is quite unusual though a nice gesture. Any HDD or SSD that doesn't last more than a year in normal use, is defective in design or manufacture, IMO. The potential loss of data is more significant than the warranty "extension" if the replacement drive/SSD can't even make it to the end of the remaining original warranty.

As far as the OP's PSU. Many times people can't wait around for the company to take their time processing a warranty claim, so they buy a new PSU and keep the warranty replacement PSU for future use. This would account for not needing to immediately check or use the replacement PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by AMDforME View Post
    I'm not saying that you are wrong, but I've 've never seen any HDD maker that gave you a new warranty with a replacement drive nor any SSD maker. Virtually every warranty I have ever read states the replacement drive is only covered for the remainder of the original warranty. If they were willing to extend the warranty 1.5 years, that is quite unusual though a nice gesture. Any HDD or SSD that doesn't last more than a year in normal use, is defective in design or manufacture, IMO. The potential loss of data is more significant than the warranty "extension" if the replacement drive/SSD can't even make it to the end of the remaining original warranty.

As far as the OP's PSU. Many times people can't wait around for the company to take their time processing a warranty claim, so they buy a new PSU and keep the warranty replacement PSU for future use. This would account for not needing to immediately check or use the replacement PSU.
    to be clear, they extended the warranty by 1 year when i went from a core v2 to an agility (the agility had a 3 year the core had a 2 year.) i was told i got extra every time they sent me a drive, then when it died out, i got my 3rd replacement and it died affter 8 months from when i got it, and once it was out of the initial warranty they said no.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    to be clear, they extended the warranty by 1 year when i went from a core v2 to an agility (the agility had a 3 year the core had a 2 year.) i was told i got extra every time they sent me a drive, then when it died out, i got my 3rd replacement and it died affter 8 months from when i got it, and once it was out of the initial warranty they said no.
    Typical OCZ and unscrupulous IMO.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo Hoodoo View Post
    In the og pos, I stated that: it worked for a few months, so nothing would of showed up within the few first hours/days....

I know I am at fault, but I got two units with 3 years warranty each, and I got a total of 1 year use out of both. At this point, I am just lucky to not have lost any hardware.
    No more ocz for me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]