Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Haswell may be the last upgradeable mainstream CPU from Intel

Wanna look under my kilt?
    What if things went the other way and became more technical? BGA CPUs..... that the user has to solder on themselves
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Quote Originally Posted by AMDforME View Post
    It does not surprise me that Intel would try to steal the entire mobo industry if they can. The FTC may have something to say about that however...

Don't let your fanboyism get in the way BGA doesn't mean they make the boards too. Any board maker can put BGA chips on their boards, heck they do it already.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by K404 View Post
    What if things went the other way and became more technical? BGA CPUs..... that the user has to solder on themselves
    Back to the future then!
    I remember soldering oscillators and FPU to Amiga Turbo boards. Great way to OC and improve performance!
    It will be a bit more tricky to solder uBGA package though than it was to do it with 68882 FPU
    RiG1: Ryzen 7 1700 @4.0GHz 1.39V, Asus X370 Prime, G.Skill RipJaws 2x8GB 3200MHz CL14 Samsung B-die, TuL Vega 56 Stock, Samsung SS805 100GB SLC SDD (OS Drive) + 512GB Evo 850 SSD (2nd OS Drive) + 3TB Seagate + 1TB Seagate, BeQuiet PowerZone 1000W

RiG2: HTPC AMD A10-7850K APU, 2x8GB Kingstone HyperX 2400C12, AsRock FM2A88M Extreme4+, 128GB SSD + 640GB Samsung 7200, LG Blu-ray Recorder, Thermaltake BACH, Hiper 4M880 880W PSU

SmartPhone Samsung Galaxy S7 EDGE
    XBONE paired with 55'' Samsung LED 3D TV

Xtreme Member
    BGA Broadwell is CPU only for mobile/embedded market. In 2013-2014 will be mainstream platform still Haswell-DT with classic socket. What will be Haswell successor in 2015 nobody knows now.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Is soldering "technical"?

As for the thread:

The day I see AMD is leaving the upgradeable socket CPU market, I'll say,"R.I.P. and thanks for the memories. You fought the good fight against stacked odds.".

The day I see intel is leaving the upgradeable socket CPU market, I say," Ahaha! Hohoho! Suuuuuure they are. And Chevy now makes tvs, and Samsung is heading into the wooden building block market". Won't happen anytime soon IMO.

That market is going to shift to more mobile and include ARM but APUs aren't suitable for some things and Haswell/anything soon won't change that.
    Intel 990x/Corsair H80 /Asus Rampage III
    Coolermaster HAF932 case
    Patriot 3 X 2GB
    EVGA GTX Titan SC
    Dell 3008

Xtreme Member
    i realy hope you're all right and lga will stay for a other decade
    little German

Xtreme Addict
    It would make RMA and repair cost more.
    Quote Originally Posted by alacheesu View Post
    If you were consistently able to put two pieces of lego together when you were a kid, you should have no trouble replacing the pump top.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    There are only two things you need to think on to see where Intel is headed: 1) control and 2) profitability
    Make an item so that "no one can mess with or adjust it" and second, cut your losses by removing returns from the business model.
    Do those two things and your bottom line starts to look much better.
    Yes, it takes people like us out of the equation but realistically when has Intel ever shown more than lip service to the interests of the xtreme hobbiest?
    Sure, they play the game to make it look like they do but the corporate mindset has always been to ignore our interests.
    Look at the dual 1366 systems.
    Intel's reference boards had the circuitry locked solid so that BCLK was not adjustable.
    It took one of the smaller board makers, EVGA, to make the SR-2 and get around that lockout.
    Intels response to that was to learn that they needed stronger "locks" on the chips and thats just what they fed us.
    BCLK locked cpu's..Now they have the "control" part locked up..
    They call it progress but is it really when a dual 1366 with 2 hex cores can out do the newer dual 2011 with 2-8 core cpu's?
    Doesn't sound like progress to me..
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Is soldering "technical"?
    Given the amount of whining the community does if software voltage control isn't available, then yea, soldering is the new rocket science.
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Given the amount of whining the community does if software voltage control isn't available, then yea, soldering is the new rocket science.
    There are other factors here. My eyes that were perfect till age 40 are now age 60 and not what they used to be.
    I remembering soldering a wire to one leg of a 50 pin PLL controller while looking through a 5x magnifying lamp and needing a hand held 5x magifying glass on top of the lamp lens.
    That left one hand free to handle the soldering gun and hold the wire..Had to set up a separate clamp system to hold the second glass in place.
    Remember, we all get older but still maintain the passion for the hobby but with that aging lots of body parts don't work as they once did..
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Ha..... what if a user had to enter their DOB to unlock higher voltages in software and were rewarded with "sorry, too young" if they didn't meet the criteria

I don't look down on people who cannot mod (for whatever reason) .....send the gear off to someone else and let them do the tricky/clever bit

We're heading OT here, but I always had the nagging feeling that a LOT people welcomed software control because they could thrash 7 shades out of their card with no evidence.....hello RMA.

EDIT: 4444 posts Can't believe i've been here over 7 years and am somehow in the top-100 posters!
    Last edited by K404; 11-26-2012 at 12:59 PM.
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Ha..... what if a user had to enter their DOB to unlock higher voltages in software and were rewarded with "sorry, too young" if they didn't meet the criteria

I don't look down on people who cannot mod (for whatever reason) .....send the gear off to someone else and let them do the tricky/clever bit

We're heading OT here, but I always had the nagging feeling that a LOT people welcomed software control because they could thrash 7 shades out of their card with no evidence.....hello RMA.

EDIT: 4444 posts Can't believe i've been here over 7 years and am somehow in the top-100 posters!
    We agree on modding and RMA's..Not fair to dump 2 gazillion volts into a cpu or vid card and then RMA it..You play, you take the responsibility for your actions.
    It is just that I beleive that we should have that option and Intel doesn't want "the kiddies playing" in any way shape or form..

Xtreme Addict
    Not too sure about Intel, but AMD isn't exactly hiding the fact that their plan is to move away from upgradeable desktop.

And be prepared for the next level of hardware DRM with AMD.

I am the opposite of an Intel fanboy, this is just the simple truth.
    Athlon XP-M 2500+ 0343MPMW The King is Dead!
    Phenom II X6 1090T 1025GPMW Long Live the King!

-------------------------------------------
    I'm from the church of the operating room

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I wouldn't say soldering is technical. I mean, I had never soldered anything in my life, I borrowed a soldering gun (not even one designed for something like that, the head was huge), and removed and replaced the caps with no issue. The monitor still didnt work, but not because of the caps (power inverter was bad and I didnt feel like buying one at the time). Just two days ago I repaired my 200mm fan after I yanked the wires off the pcb by accident. It works now too.

I don't think the issue is whether or not people will find soldering technical or not, its what is the value of what you are doing something like this with? My monitor and fan was broke, if I messed it up trying to fix it for the first time it wouldnt have been an issue. Ask me to try something like that on my first few tries on a ~$200 CPU or $400 GPU, then we are getting into territory where I'm really questioning my ability. I don't have that kind of money just laying around to be thrown away. So the question isn't considering it technical, its whether the risk vs reward is there.

With that said, thinking Intel is going to abandon a market they are making rather large amounts of money in is rather silly. I'd say until you have Intel stating "We are officially abandoning the upgrade market" this is just speculation and subjective thinking.
    --Intel i5 3570k 4.4ghz (stock volts) - Corsair H100 - 6970 UL XFX 2GB - - Asrock Z77 Professional - 16GB Gskill 1866mhz - 2x90GB Agility 3 - WD640GB - 2xWD320GB - 2TB Samsung Spinpoint F4 - Audigy-- --NZXT Phantom - Samsung SATA DVD--(old systems Intel E8400 Wolfdale/Asus P45, AMD965BEC3 790X, Antec 180, Sapphire 4870 X2 (dead twice))

BGA soldering is a totally different animal than standard soldering.
    The Cardboard Master
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

I am Xtreme
    The chances of killing your hardware when soldering are a lot higher compared to software overvoltaging, which is pretty much completely safe these days (assuming you apply reasonable amounts of it and watch the temps).
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtremeish
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    BGA soldering is a totally different animal than standard soldering.
    Indeed, you need quite a lot of force on the iron to get it close to the one in the middle with VDD!

Aber ja, naturlich Hans nass ist, er steht unter einem Wasserfall - James May
    Hardware: Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H, Intel i5 4670k @ 4GHz, Crucial DDR3 BallistiX, Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II, Corsair HX 650W, Samsung 830 256GB, Silverstone Precision -|- Cooling: Noctua NH-C12P SE14

Xtreme Enthusiast
    "mainstream". i3
    MM Duality eZ modded horizon (microres bracket). AMD 8120 4545Mhz 303x15 HTT 2727 1.512v load. 2121Mhz 1.08v idle. (48hour prime95 8k-32768 28GB ram) 32GB GeIL Cosra @ RAM 1212Mhz 8-8-8. 4870x2 800/900 load 200/200 idle. Intel Nic. Sabertooth 990fx . 4x64GB Crucial M4 raid 0 . 128GB Samsung 840 pro. 128GB OCZ Vertex 450. 6x250GB Seagate 7200.10 raid 0 (7+ years still running strong) esata raid across two 4 bay sans digital. Coolit Boreas Water Chiller. CoolerMaster V1000. 3x140MM back. 1x120MMx38MM back. 2x120MMx38MM Front. 6x120MM front. 2x120MM side. silverstone fan filters. 2x120MMx38MM over ram/PWM/VRM , games steam desura origin. 2x2TB WD passport USB 3.0 ($39 hot deal score) 55inch samsung 1080p tv @ 3 feet. $30 month equal payments no int (post xmas deal 2013)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I stand corrected.
    Intel 990x/Corsair H80 /Asus Rampage III
    Coolermaster HAF932 case
    Patriot 3 X 2GB
    EVGA GTX Titan SC
    Dell 3008

Xtreme Member
    Why is anyone shocked by this? Their mid range cpus already waste half the die space on a gpu desktop users don't use. When they never made a 6 or 8 core sandy / ivy bridge without the GPU it was obvious they don't care much about desktop users. I'm sure they will continue to offer expensive deffective xeons made on an old process for conventional desktop users though.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by lizardmech View Post
    Why is anyone shocked by this? Their mid range cpus already waste half the die space on a gpu desktop users don't use. When they never made a 6 or 8 core sandy / ivy bridge without the GPU it was obvious they don't care much about desktop users. I'm sure they will continue to offer expensive deffective xeons made on an old process for conventional desktop users though.
    To be fair, Intel did make 8 core sandy without the GPU..The top E5-26xx's
    They are just locked tighter than a "bull's arse at fly time" to use an old expression..

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by IFMU View Post
    Even if this isn't "the end" of desktop type CPU's, it is coming. The way things are going, desktops are going to end before too much longer.
    Sadly, yes. I thought at first that desktops would become more like laptops (very hard to build your own, but could still upgrade). Instead the industry is racing on all cylinders towards handheld devices.

Core i7 920 D0 B-batch (4.1) (Kinda Stable?) | DFI X58 T3eH8 (Fed up with its' issues, may get a new board soon) | Patriot 1600 (9-9-9-24) (for now) | XFX HD 4890 (971/1065) (for now) |
    80GB X25-m G2 | WD 640GB | PCP&C 750 | Dell 2408 LCD | NEC 1970GX LCD | Win7 Pro | CoolerMaster ATCS 840 {Modded to reverse-ATX, WC'ing internal}

CPU Loop: MCP655 > HK 3.0 LT > ST 320 (3x Scythe G's) > ST Res >Pump
    GPU Loop: MCP655 > MCW-60 > PA160 (1x YL D12SH) > ST Res > BIP 220 (2x YL D12SH) >Pump

Xtreme Enthusiast
    There's a simple solution to all of this; buy AMD

Quote Originally Posted by Darakian View Post
    There's a simple solution to all of this; buy AMD
    Incoming haters in 5...4...3...2...1...

I like large posteriors and I cannot prevaricate

Seriously, this would cause riots in the tech industry especially in the OEM, Repair, etc sectors. Not being to swap out the CPU to easily fix a computer.

I'm pretty sure Intel would have some class-action lawsuits coming their way if they did this to desktops.
    My Rig can do EpicFLOPs, Can yours?
    Once this baby hits 88 TeraFLOPs, You're going to see some serious $@#%....

Build XT7 is currently active.
    Current OS Systems: Windows 10 64bit

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast