Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Haswell may be the last upgradeable mainstream CPU from Intel

I'm thinking about the OEMs like HP, Dell, etc who have a few different CPU options for each model computer. This would greatly increase everyone's cost with little benefit to anyone (including Intel).
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Member
    Charlie's reporting on it too and his story matches up with what hornett said...just in different words..

Now that I think about it Hornett's interpretation sounds more realistic. Intel necessarily isn't killing off the enthusiast per say, they're just changing up their release cadence and probably changing tick-tock. Broadwell will just be a mobile only cpu, just like the original banias/centrino was. ..And we will continue to use Haswell-DT for a very long time..Instead of the usual 1 year..more like 2+..Do we really need a new desktop cpu every 12 months in this day and age?..We've already seen the gaps in release dates between the high-end sockets, 1366 and 2011, get longer. Now they're doing it with the desktop.

Also with that being said, I'm sure Ivy-E being so late fits in with this strat. We will probably have Ivy-E at the high-end, haswell-dt for mainstream desktop. And Broadwell for mobile+.

We've seen intel do this before, many times (merom, conroe, woodcrest) (penryn, wolfdale, yorfield) (bloomfield, lynnfield, clarksfield)... It was only recently we had SB/IB be the same up and down just with different blocks added/removed..The only difference now is the node and uarch's will be mixed at matched at each segment, rather than all being based on the same core.

If you look at that picture, (Ivy-E, Haswell, Broadwell) it doesn't seem that bad, its just we're getting less frequent updates to the non-mobile sector..

half full
    Last edited by Tenknics; 11-27-2012 at 09:49 AM.
    Iron Lung 3.0 | Intel Core i7 6800k @ 4ghz | 32gb G.SKILL RIPJAW V DDR4-3200 @16-16-16-36 | ASUS ROG STRIX X99 GAMING + ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1070 STRIX GAMING | Samsung 960 Pro 512GB + Samsung 840 EVO + 4TB HDD | 55" Samsung KS8000 + 30" Dell u3011 via Displayport - @ 6400x2160

Quote Originally Posted by Tenknics View Post
    Charlie's reporting on it too and his story matches up with what hornett said...just in different words..

Now that I think about it Hornett's interpretation sounds more realistic. Intel necessarily isn't killing off the enthusiast per say, they're just changing up their release cadence and probably changing tick-tock. Broadwell will just be a mobile only cpu, just like the original banias/centrino was. ..And we will continue to use Haswell-DT for a very long time..Instead of the usual 1 year..more like 2+..Do we really need a new desktop cpu every 12 months in this day and age?..We've already seen the gaps in release dates between the high-end sockets, 1366 and 2011, get longer. Now they're doing it with the desktop.

Also with that being said, I'm sure Ivy-E being so late fits in with this strat. We will probably have Ivy-E at the high-end, haswell-dt for mainstream desktop. And Broadwell for mobile+.

If you look at that picture, it doesn't seem that bad, its just we're getting less frequent updates..

half full
    Yea, I saw charlie's post on it also...I was gonna make a thread with [FUD] in the title but then I saw this one
    My Rig can do EpicFLOPs, Can yours?
    Once this baby hits 88 TeraFLOPs, You're going to see some serious $@#%....

Build XT7 is currently active.
    Current OS Systems: Windows 10 64bit

Xtreme Mentor
    They never really marketed a westmere cpu for the desktop either. I'm not too surprised.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by BababooeyHTJ View Post
    They never really marketed a westmere cpu for the desktop either. I'm not too surprised.
    Yea, I think Intel always figured that quads were more than enough for desktops and in 99% of the users they are correct.
    I mean who really needs a 16 core/32 thread machine anyway...
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    Is that an offer? ^_^
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    Is that an offer? ^_^
    As my Father used to say :" Your too willing!" LOLOLOLOL
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

As my Father used to say :" Your too willing!" LOLOLOLOL
    And he said

"Why System On a Chip? when you can have Supercomputer On a Chip?"

That's my opinion on this news.
    My Rig can do EpicFLOPs, Can yours?
    Once this baby hits 88 TeraFLOPs, You're going to see some serious $@#%....

Build XT7 is currently active.
    Current OS Systems: Windows 10 64bit

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenknics View Post

We've seen intel do this before, many times (merom, conroe, woodcrest) (penryn, wolfdale, yorfield) (bloomfield, lynnfield, clarksfield)... It was only recently we had SB/IB be the same up and down just with different blocks added/removed..The only difference now is the node and uarch's will be mixed at matched at each segment, rather than all being based on the same core.

If you look at that picture, (Ivy-E, Haswell, Broadwell) it doesn't seem that bad, its just we're getting less frequent updates to the non-mobile sector..

half full
    Yeah I think Intel have noticed a backlash against their release strategy. How often on these very board have people questioned how close together these micro architectures coming out. One comes out, and you're waiting for the one afterwards, it should always be a question of 'do I need this upgrade over what I have', not 'I'm six months late for x chip, y chip will be out in another five months'.

Xtreme Member
    This shouldnt be a big surprise. Especially with the widely announced lack of future competition from AMD. AMD already has shifted gears, giving up to this modern day cpu space race. In reality though, as processes nodes shrink the return is getting a lot harder to quantify. From a business perspective, you only have a limited number of process shrinks left to iterate. The cost for every new process is a immensely huge amount of money. It's a lot of wasted business opportunity to not maximize your profits. AMD has done a much better job of doing just that. AMD has done some remarkable things considering their disadvantage to Intel's process advantage. Sadly, the mobile devices have consumed entire markets. I am a developer, and will always be in need of a workstation environment. For average people this just isn't the case anymore. Phones are ever consuming the laptop, tablet, PC markets. What ever happened to netbooks, that market died before it even happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by ***Deimos*** View Post
    WARNING GTX480 - may cause dizziness, blurred vision, dry mouth, dehydration, shortness of breath, headaches, naussea, explosive diahrea

Foxconn Bloodrage P11 ( 2.1 SLIC MOD )
    Corei7 980 (3118B583) 4.2ghz 24-7 with stock vcore
    2x8GB PNY 1600c9 @ 1600mhz 9-9-9-24-1T
    nVidia GTX 770
    256gb OCZ Vertex4 FW 1.5
    2TB Green Barracuda
    Antec HCG-620w PSU
    Corsair H50 ( Sucks Hairry Balls IMHO )
    Coolermaster Storm Sniper Black Custom Sleeved
    3 x Dell U2410 H-IPS 1920x1200 Surround
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by To(V)bo Co(V)bo View Post
    This shouldnt be a big surprise. Especially with the widely announced lack of future competition from AMD. AMD already has shifted gears, giving up to this modern day cpu space race. In reality though, as processes nodes shrink the return is getting a lot harder to quantify. From a business perspective, you only have a limited number of process shrinks left to iterate. The cost for every new process is a immensely huge amount of money. It's a lot of wasted business opportunity to not maximize your profits. AMD has done a much better job of doing just that. AMD has done some remarkable things considering their disadvantage to Intel's process advantage. Sadly, the mobile devices have consumed entire markets. I am a developer, and will always be in need of a workstation environment. For average people this just isn't the case anymore. Phones are ever consuming the laptop, tablet, PC markets. What ever happened to netbooks, that market died before it even happened.
    Tablets are what netbooks should have been.
    Quote Originally Posted by alacheesu View Post
    If you were consistently able to put two pieces of lego together when you were a kid, you should have no trouble replacing the pump top.

Xtreme Member
    Yea, I think Intel always figured that quads were more than enough for desktops and in 99% of the users they are correct.
    Ummm, i do? Rendering a double hd res image on anything less than 8 cores is misable. And i only have 4 cores.

The Hulk: "Hulk smash!"
    MoBo: Evga 780i
    CPU: Intel Core2Extreme X6800 (L631A669)
    Heat Sink / Fan: Tuniq Tower 120
    Mem: Corsair Domnianator 6400C4D (2x1024MB)
    Video: BFG 8800GTX OC2 x1 (other card went bad and is going to be RMA'd)
    HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB SATA
    Sound: On board
    Net: On board
    PSU: CoolerMaster 850W SLI
    Case: CoolerMaster Stacker 830 Nvidia Edition

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123