Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firefox 64-bit development for Windows gets 'turned off' by Mozilla

I am Xtreme

Firefox 64-bit development for Windows gets 'turned off' by Mozilla

They are going to stop doing 64bit nightlys for Firefox.

first source
    http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/22/f...mozi/#comments

Looking to browse with the full weight of your 64-bit hardware? Well, if you're a Firefox and Windows user, you're going to have to look elsewhere, as Mozilla has announced it's closing the development of Firefox for the bigger computer architecture. Mozilla manager, Benjamin Smedberg outlined several reasons for the decision, including limited access to 64-bit plugins, a higher propensity for the browser to hang when using available plug-ins and difficulty distinguishing between 32- and 64-bit versions when dealing with stability complaints. After posting the announcement at Bugzilla, it riled plenty of nightly testers, with one Mozilla dev suggesting that around half of them were currently using the now defunct 64-bit version -- presumably due to the fact that an official release never made it out of the gates. What are the options then, if you need your browsing 64-bit? You could return to Internet Explorer or give Opera a try -- both offer a higher bit version, or make a switch to either OS X or Linux, both of which have fully-fleshed versions of the 64-bit web browser. Check out some of the (surprisingly vigorous) debate at the source below.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=814009

Per newsgroup discussion. Please stop building windows 64 builds and tests. This includes the following subtasks, which I'm not filing specific bugs on but you may want to break these out:

* stop building win64 nightlies
    * repatriate existing win64 nightly users onto win32 builds using a custom update
    * stop doing win64 "hourly" builds on mozilla-central and other branches
    * disable the win64 option in try/trychooser

This bug is not the place to argue about this decision, which has already been made. If there is critical data which you think should be heard about this decision, please post it to mozilla.dev.apps.firefox.

Asus Z9PE-D8 WS with 64GB of registered ECC ram.|Dell 30" LCD 3008wfp:7970 video card

LSI series raid controller
    SSDs: Crucial C300 256GB
    Standard drives: Seagate ST32000641AS & WD 1TB black
    OSes: Linux and Windows x64

I am Xtreme
    Not a big deal if you ask me... Since it hasn't made it into more stable channels, anyway.
    There are still plenty of 64-bit builds (e.g. Pale Moon) around.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Addict
    So what is the problem? Was it so much faster?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Is 64bit really needed for a web browser? Mozilla probably came to the conclusion that the juice wasnt worth the squeeze.
    Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB
    x 1 500 Samsung 860Evo NVME

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks
    360 x1, 280 x1, 240 x1, 120 x1 Radiators

Xtreme Member
    Even games are still 32b, and the plugins issue it's a big deal.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    simple...use waterfox ( 64 native and full compatible) try it!

http://www.waterfoxproject.org/download.php
    hersounds powered by 121 % overclocking Machine http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=220390 - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1917405

facebook.com/hersounds

Intel Core i5 4670K @ 4,5 Ghz 24/7 - Galaxy HOF GTX 780 - 8 GB Team Group Xtreem 2666 Cas 11 - 8Gb Avexir Core series 2800 Blue Led - Maximus VI Formula Armor TUF - Corsair Force GT 120 GB SATA 3 - Galaxy Hall of fame 1200 hersounds Limited edition Modular - Antec 620 dual fan mod

Xtreme Addict
    And there went the 1 cool thing about Firefox.
    EVGA X58 Classified
    Intel i7 965
    Corsair Dominator 1600mhz 3x2gb
    Nvidia GTX 295

Xtreme Addict
    Personally I think Mozilla should have made a much stronger push the last few months to get its plugin dev's to move to 64-bit. Then Mozilla should have dropped the 32-bit altogether. Things need to keep progressing to only 64-bit version of everything and stop falling back to old versions. It doesnt matter if we *need* an x64 browser, the fact is software needs to progress and part of that is updating old stuff to the new architecture.
    Rig 1:
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Intel i5 3570K @ 4.75GHz
    16GB of Team Xtreme DDR-2666 RAM (11-13-13-35-2T)
    Nvidia GTX 670 4GB SLI

Rig 2:
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX
    AMD FX-8350 @ 5.6GHz
    16GB of Mushkin DDR-1866 RAM (8-9-8-26-1T)
    AMD 6950 with 6970 bios flash

Yamakasi Catleap 2B overclocked to 120Hz refresh rate
    Audio-GD FUN DAC unit w/ AD797BRZ opamps
    Sennheiser PC350 headset w/ hero mod

Quote Originally Posted by EniGmA1987 View Post
    Personally I think Mozilla should have made a much stronger push the last few months to get its plugin dev's to move to 64-bit. Then Mozilla should have dropped the 32-bit altogether. Things need to keep progressing to only 64-bit version of everything and stop falling back to old versions. It doesnt matter if we *need* an x64 browser, the fact is software needs to progress and part of that is updating old stuff to the new architecture.
    i think that we really need a 64bit browser in aurora, we really need to move on from 32bit even if there is no performance game or need for 4GB of ram usage in the next few years.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaskar View Post
    And there went the 1 cool thing about Firefox.
    ....what are you talking about?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by EniGmA1987 View Post
    Mozilla probably realized that there was no point as the future is mobile devices. Mobile devices are still a few steps behind desktops, and as such there is no point in working on 64bit.

Core i7 920 D0 B-batch (4.1) (Kinda Stable?) | DFI X58 T3eH8 (Fed up with its' issues, may get a new board soon) | Patriot 1600 (9-9-9-24) (for now) | XFX HD 4890 (971/1065) (for now) |
    80GB X25-m G2 | WD 640GB | PCP&C 750 | Dell 2408 LCD | NEC 1970GX LCD | Win7 Pro | CoolerMaster ATCS 840 {Modded to reverse-ATX, WC'ing internal}

CPU Loop: MCP655 > HK 3.0 LT > ST 320 (3x Scythe G's) > ST Res >Pump
    GPU Loop: MCP655 > MCW-60 > PA160 (1x YL D12SH) > ST Res > BIP 220 (2x YL D12SH) >Pump

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Generic user #2 View Post
    ....what are you talking about?
    I'm saying the 1 cool thing about Firefox, its 64 bit developer branch has just been axed by Mozilla, having cited Lazy as their reason. This unfortunately lowers the grand total to 0 cool things about Firefox.
    Last edited by Zaskar; 11-27-2012 at 06:38 AM.
    EVGA X58 Classified
    Intel i7 965
    Nvidia GTX 295

Xtreme Member
    I am still getting regular updates for Firefox 64 Nightly in Windows (Using Win764). Yesterday the version jumped from 19 to 20. Anyone know what's up with that?

I'm saying the 1 cool thing about Firefox, its 64 bit developer branch has just been axed by Mozilla, having cited Lazy as their reason. This unfortunately lowers the grand total to 0 cool things about Firefox.
    In your opinion, which is fine.
    What browser do you consider to be "cooler"? If you say Safari or IE I'll bust up laughing
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    In your opinion, which is fine.
    What browser do you consider to be "cooler"? If you say Safari or IE I'll bust up laughing
    I'm liking Chrome better right now, the sync system it uses seems to work better. The pepper API is pretty cool, especially if you also use Linux since flash development has been halted for that platform (but will continue to be updated in newer versions of Chrome due to the universal Pepper API version it comes with) and in my experience it handled simultaneously reloading a bunch of tabs much faster. Having a Chrome sync capable IOS browser skin is a pretty cool bonus also.

Always liked Firefox for their 64 bit branch though, they stuck through the stretch where there was no x64 flash or Java plugins in even alpha form, and now that they are stable releases they decide to kill it? Nice. Its absurd since they have a x64 Linux and Mac version (albeit out of necessity) yet the windows one is too much work. That last part goes for Chrome as well.
    EVGA X58 Classified
    Intel i7 965
    Nvidia GTX 295

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelCain View Post
    Mozilla probably realized that there was no point as the future is mobile devices. Mobile devices are still a few steps behind desktops, and as such there is no point in working on 64bit.
    Yep, THIS. Most people are using their smart phone, and tablet penetration is going up as well, for their "internet and facebook" device. Unless you have to do something in MS Office, most people don't need a computer anymore. Also a computer, even a portable laptop, is a vastly inferior internet/email/facebook platform compared to a mobile device for a number of reasons. It came up in this election that more people get internet news (and also their favorite websites) from a mobile device instead of using a computer. Short of using the MS office suite, most people prefer there mobiles for anything they'd normally want a computer to do.

Using a web browser on a computer, ok there grandma. I bet you still send people snail mail, use a rotary phone, and drive a horse buggy.
    AMD Phenom II BE, ASUS Crosshair II formula, 8gb ddr2 800, 470 SLI, PC P&C 750, arcera RAID, 4x OCZ Vertex2, 2x samsung 7200 1tb, HT Omega Clario +

Xtreme Member
    As someone else pointed out there is a 64 bit version of Firefox already called Waterfox. And contrary to another posters assertions, its easy to find 64 bit extensions.

As far as using smartphones and tablets, sure its true that they are used. However,smartphones suck for viewing a lot of websites. Not only that but there's a 4 window maximum on it, making it a pain for looking at multiple sites.

In addition, contrary to the previous poster, most of the people I know use desktops or laptops for web viewing. And no, I have a 4G LTE phone, don't use snail mail, and the only carriage I ride uses diesel engines.
    Desktop rigs:
    Oysterhead- Intel i5-2320 CPU@3.0Ghz, Zalman 9500AT2, 8Gb Patriot 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM, 120Gb Kingston V200+ SSD, 1Tb Seagate HD, Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit, LG 330W PSU

Flying Frog Brigade-Intel Xeon W3520@2.66Ghz, 6Gb Hynix 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM, 640Gb Hitachi HD, 512Mb GDDR5 AMD HD4870, Mac OSX 10.6.8/Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon dual boot

Laptop:
    Colonel Claypool-Intel T6600 Core 2 Duo, 4Gb 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM, 1Gb GDDR3 Nvidia 230M,240Gb Edge SATA6 SSD, Windows 7 Home 64 bit

Xtreme Addict
    how useful smartphones are for webbrowsing in large parts depends on webdevelopers, look at Japan, you barely see any laptops / tablets here being used outdoors compared to America / Europe, instead its smartphones all the way, unlike elsewhere a lot of websites are optimized for small screens already.

I'm liking Chrome better right now, the sync system it uses seems to work better. The pepper API is pretty cool, especially if you also use Linux since flash development has been halted for that platform (but will continue to be updated in newer versions of Chrome due to the universal Pepper API version it comes with) and in my experience it handled simultaneously reloading a bunch of tabs much faster. Having a Chrome sync capable IOS browser skin is a pretty cool bonus also.

Always liked Firefox for their 64 bit branch though, they stuck through the stretch where there was no x64 flash or Java plugins in even alpha form, and now that they are stable releases they decide to kill it? Nice. Its absurd since they have a x64 Linux and Mac version (albeit out of necessity) yet the windows one is too much work. That last part goes for Chrome as well.
    Eh, Chrome is OK but I don't care that much for the interface. Plus if you ever uninstall it, it has a really bad habit of leaving pieces behind that can screw up URLs from other programs and stuff.

Personally I don't see how having some apple looking skin on your web browser is a plus, but whatev
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Mentor
    Once I used Opera, I just simply couldnt go back to Firefox / IE, nor Chrome.

Opera <3.

Santas
    its a web browser... 64bit total overkill

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Santas View Post
    its a web browser... 64bit total overkill
    It's good for performance if you do it right.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Addict
    Performance is not all. 64bits will be usefull, now you don't use more than 4go of ram for your browser but some time, it's gonna be unthinkable to not be able to "break" this limit for a browser.

Evry web design is becoming more and more complexe, there is more and more data of all kind, ( movie, sound, ... even 3D games are coming ).

Most of time i use 400MB of data for firefox32. ( with around 10 tabs ) without any movie, just forums.

remember, <<512ko of memory will be enough for evryone.>>

... i don't think, turn off 64bit dev of firefox is a smart move.

Xtreme Addict
    Anyone notice how Firefox x64 Nightly is still getting updates?
    EVGA X58 Classified
    Intel i7 965
    Nvidia GTX 295

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast