Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worst sport ever, football (soccer), drop-ball

Aussie God

Worst sport ever, football (soccer), drop-ball

Roughly 200 of you got me on facebook and guessed it was only a matter of time before I would post this, but for the rest of you check this goal, it was made against my local team last night in Champions League, and yes, it ruined my night.

Found it by Ukranian TV on youtube, you can hear that they are NOT impressed eventhough their team scores, its a bit of a hint if it was a 'legit' goal.
    NB: For the ones that does not know the sport, this is a normal situation, ball is returned to the other team, that can then build up a new offense, but in this case instead of returning the ball, a striker abused the situation.

It has happend 4 times in professional football;
    Champions-League: 2009 -> Messi didnt see what happend....
    Austria: 2006 Cannot find much details on this
    Premier League: 1999, Arsenal - Sheffield..... After the match Arsenal were such ashamed with their actions, that they suggested rematch.
    Norway, local club -> Other team let them run and do a goal directly after, just to even out the scores..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDnZ_iduypI
    Competition ranking;
    2005; Netbyte, Karise/Denmark #1 @ PiFast
    2008; AOCM II, Minfeld/Germany #2 @ 01SE/AM3/8M (w. Oliver)
    2009; AMD-OC, Viborg/Denmark #2 @ max freq Gigabyte TweaKING, Paris/France #4 @ 32M/01SE (w. Vanovich)
    2010: Gigabyte P55, Hamburg/Germany #6 @ wprime 1024/SPI 1M (w. THC) AOCM III, Minfeld/Germany #6 @ 01SE/AM3/1M/8M (w. NeoForce)

Spectating;
    2010; GOOC 2010 Many thanks to Gigabyte!

Xtreme Member

The player in red, Nordstrand or whatever he's called, faked getting hit to gain an advantage. He put his hands to his face as if he was tackled there when you can clearly see he was barely touched. Players do this all the time. If a just referee had seen him do that he'd have received a yellow card for it.

The question is why the opposing team should take that crap. Is there any good reason for it? No, there is not. If the team in red wants to cheat to gain an advantage then the team in white can certainly play "unorthodox" soccer that is still within the rule book.

In my opinion:
    Win XP Pro x64 / Win 7 x64 / Phenom II / Asus m3a79-t Deluxe / 8x2 GB GSkill and some other stuff.....

I saw that yesterday, TBH it just seems like the team switched off and the other team didn't. About the only dubious thing in the whole incident was the play acting by whoever it was making out they got hit in the face. ITs not like you can complain anyway, regardless of the goal you got thrashed 5-2, Shakhtar are just a far superior team.
    Last edited by Ket; 11-21-2012 at 09:45 AM.

"Prowler"
    X570 Tomahawk | R7 3700X | 2x16GB Klevv BoltX @ 3600MHz CL18 | Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil | Xonar DX 7.1 | 2TB Barracuda | 256GB & 512GB Asgard NVMe drives | 2x DVD & Blu-Ray opticals | EVGA Supernova 1000w G2

Cooling:

6x 140mm LED fans, 1x 200mm LED fan | Modified CoolerMaster Masterliquid 240

Asrock Z77 thread! | Asrock Z77 Extreme6 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4/6 Pro3 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Review | Asrock Z68 Gen3 Thread | 8GB G-Skill review | TK 2.ZERO homepage | P5Q series mBIOS thread
    Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

Aussie God
    Quote Originally Posted by MattiasNYC View Post

The player in red, Nordstrand or whatever he's called, faked getting hit to gain an advantage. He put his hands to his face as if he was tackled there when you can clearly see he was barely touched. Players do this all the time. If a just referee had seen him do that he'd have received a yellow card for it.

The question is why the opposing team should take that crap. Is there any good reason for it? No, there is not. If the team in red wants to cheat to gain an advantage then the team in white can certainly play "unorthodox" soccer that is still within the rule book.

In my opinion:
    He ran into a shoulder while looking the other way, and they were in ball possession, wasnt an advantage stopping the flow of the attack.

Ket; No doubt Shakhtar is the superior team, Nordsj?lland had CL debut, and no expensive players,, but its not about the entire match, but the episode with scoring on a dropball.
    However, not sure if you are much aware of football in generel, 5-2 isnt correct the score was 2-5.

UEFA has started a diciplinary case with Luiz Adriano
    Competition ranking;
    2009; AMD-OC, Viborg/Denmark #2 @ max freq Gigabyte TweaKING, Paris/France #4 @ 32M/01SE (w. Vanovich)
    2010: Gigabyte P55, Hamburg/Germany #6 @ wprime 1024/SPI 1M (w. THC) AOCM III, Minfeld/Germany #6 @ 01SE/AM3/1M/8M (w. NeoForce)

Spectating;

Administrator
    Looked to me like the ref dropped the ball like he should have and then ran off to the middle, like normal. Nothing looked bad to me.

But then I don't watch soccer or know anything about the game really.

Copenhagen, teh capital village of the World. Hillerød, Malmö
    I can't watch the video. I really love soccer, it is one of the greatest mysteries in my life. I have spent many hours trying to figure out how it works, I'm still researching it... I haven't given up hope! It is such a great challenge to keep focussing on the game and the ball, while all those sweaty masculine handsome young men run around in flashy shorts and ...and ... *sigh*
    *Gape & Ponder*

(\_/) This is Bunny.
    (+.+) Bunny is dead.
    (^ ^) Copy and paste Bunny into your sig to create an army of BUNNY ZOMBIE MINIONS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by M.Beier View Post
    He ran into a shoulder while looking the other way, and they were in ball possession, wasnt an advantage stopping the flow of the attack.

Ket; No doubt Shakhtar is the superior team, Nordsj?lland had CL debut, and no expensive players,, but its not about the entire match, but the episode with scoring on a dropball.
    However, not sure if you are much aware of football in generel, 5-2 isnt correct the score was 2-5.

UEFA has started a diciplinary case with Luiz Adriano
    I live, eat, and breath football. I'm unaware of things like which team was displayed left-right in the upper left corner of the screen as I wasn't watching that match I was watching the Man. U match, hence 5-2 not 2-5.

Quote Originally Posted by vohu manah View Post
    I can't watch the video. I really love soccer, it is one of the greatest mysteries in my life. I have spent many hours trying to figure out how it works, I'm still researching it... I haven't given up hope! It is such a great challenge to keep focussing on the game and the ball, while all those sweaty masculine handsome young men run around in flashy shorts and ...and ... *sigh*
    Sounds like you do a lot of "doube-clicking" your "mouse" while watching football matches vohu

"Prowler"
    X570 Tomahawk | R7 3700X | 2x16GB Klevv BoltX @ 3600MHz CL18 | Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil | Xonar DX 7.1 | 2TB Barracuda | 256GB & 512GB Asgard NVMe drives | 2x DVD & Blu-Ray opticals | EVGA Supernova 1000w G2

Cooling:

Asrock Z77 thread! | Asrock Z77 Extreme6 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4/6 Pro3 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Review | Asrock Z68 Gen3 Thread | 8GB G-Skill review | TK 2.ZERO homepage | P5Q series mBIOS thread
    Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

Aussie God
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
    Looked to me like the ref dropped the ball like he should have and then ran off to the middle, like normal. Nothing looked bad to me.

But then I don't watch soccer or know anything about the game really.
    Will, dropball happens when someone is injured on the field and you need a 'break' in the game, if no penalty was commited, like in this situation when two guys didnt look where they were running and slammed into eachother, not near the ball
    Then its unwritten rule, respect, that ball is returned to the team in possession of the ball when the game was paused, the 'player in white shirt', Willian, kicked the ball back to the goalkeeper, who could then build up a new attack - common gesture, the way of the sport.
    But instead of letting goalkeeper have the ball, a striker ran for it, and made a goal, its unheard of in football, shocking - it is not about being the better team, its about not having respect for the game.

Beyond doubt, football is the sport in the world that preach the word "respect" the most, be it racism, or honor when playing.... He broke what is considered appropriate conduct, and only reasonable solution to this episode, and the handling of it, would be to ban the striker, Luiz Adriano, from participating in any UEFA games in future.

UEFA cups;
    World Cup (National teams, Worldwide)
    European Cup (National teams, European)
    Champions League (Club teams, THE greatest cup.... Period)
    Euro League (Club teams, runners up)
    *Other UEFA cups I am not aware of, but would not be suprised if they are behind the ones in Southamerica as well.

So basicly; Ban him for life, from European football would be appropriate.... What is more likely to happen though, is him getting disallowed from playing any more games in this champions league round.
    Competition ranking;

Spectating;

Aussie God
    Quote Originally Posted by vohu manah View Post
    hahaha, fortunately I do not have that problem, though Christiano Ronaldo does look like a chick?

Most of the game is very simple, obstruction and offside rules are a bit more complex, oh and penalty for defenders.
    Competition ranking;

Spectating;

Xtreme Member
    Ok, let me rephrase and start with the latter point: No, it wasn't an advantage necessarily, but the instinct to drop real easily I think is totally coming from the sense that it's an advantage in general.

To the first point: Soccer players of a certain kind fall really easily. They do so all the time except when they are convinced they can actually score at which point they're really solid and have great balance. The dead give-away is looking at how they collided, then their reaction, and then what happens afterwards. Far too many times the hit doesn't look bad in slow-motion and the reaction is wildly out of proportion to it. In this case the guy bumps into someones shoulder and both his hands come up and he holds his face as if in extreme agony, after which he hurts soooooo bad he must fall down and lie there and can't immediately get up....

..... How's it look 45 seconds later? All good, isn't he?

Of course he was faking it. The opposing team stopping play and then giving back the ball is a courtesy to an injured player. He wasn't injured as far as I can see. So why should there be courtesy? Just stop filming already. I'd rather see football being played than a bunch of fakers.

So I'm afraid I just disagree on this. And I think it sucks if the guy who scored is investigated for anything.

What football needs is higher-level games with an additional referee with access to slow-motion playback of close situations where things matter (i.e. penalty zone). That should teach players a new line of behavior.
    Win XP Pro x64 / Win 7 x64 / Phenom II / Asus m3a79-t Deluxe / 8x2 GB GSkill and some other stuff.....

Xtreme Member
    Btw, if you search for "Nordsjaelland 2-5 Shakhtar" you can probably find the clip on "rutube" or stuff like that...

What football needs is higher-level games with an additional referee with access to slow-motion playback of close situations where things matter (i.e. penalty zone). That should teach players a new line of behavior.
    Media and fans alike have been pushing for this for YEARS, we want similar rules as what rugby has for situations like this, a yellow card and a "time out" (sin bin) in addition to a video ref. Only very recently as UEFA grudgingly agreed to "try" goal line technology.

"Prowler"

Cooling:

Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

Quote Originally Posted by Ket View Post
    Sounds like you do a lot of "doube-clicking" your "mouse" while watching football matches vohu
    Hell I even trible-click :P

hahaha, fortunately I do not have that problem, though Christiano Ronaldo does look like a chick?

Most of the game is very simple, obstruction and offside rules are a bit more complex, oh and penalty for defenders.
    Cristiano Ronaldo looks like a deep fried hedgehog. Chicks above the age of 13 don't put that much grease and wax in their hair before a match, because it melts and gets into your eyes... that stuff itches like hell lol :P

The rules for football are weird, my friends have explained them to me many times, but I still forget them. :P I once tried to play Hattrick online football, and I lost my team...

Btw, if you search for "Nordsjaelland 2-5 Shakhtar" you can probably find the clip on "rutube" or stuff like that...
    I did that on youtube, but I'm not sure I got the right video O.o
    Last edited by vohu manah; 11-22-2012 at 10:01 AM.
    *Gape & Ponder*

(\_/) This is Bunny.
    (+.+) Bunny is dead.
    (^ ^) Copy and paste Bunny into your sig to create an army of BUNNY ZOMBIE MINIONS!!!

xtreme energy
    "Nordsjaelland 2-5 Shakhtar ..."
    This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by UEFA.

Administrator
    Will, dropball happens when someone is injured on the field and you need a 'break' in the game, if no penalty was commited, like in this situation when two guys didnt look where they were running and slammed into eachother, not near the ball
    Then its unwritten rule, respect, that ball is returned to the team in possession of the ball when the game was paused, the 'player in white shirt', Willian, kicked the ball back to the goalkeeper, who could then build up a new attack - common gesture, the way of the sport.
    But instead of letting goalkeeper have the ball, a striker ran for it, and made a goal, its unheard of in football, shocking - it is not about being the better team, its about not having respect for the game.
    Ok I guess I didn't catch all that, looked to me like he made a fair goal. I understand now.

Aussie God
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
    Ok I guess I didn't catch all that, looked to me like he made a fair goal. I understand now.
    A funny side note, the game in 2006, Champions League - was Shakhtar - Barcelona (the team that I support...)

Messi did same thing, but from a situation of which he didnt see what happend before, he was unaware... Now guess what happend? Shakhtar condemmed the episode, and in fact, deathwishes were stated in anger, coach + captain and one more player stated on public TV that he would be lucky to make it out of the country in one piece.

Different day, different place, they dont give a damn about respect, just 6 years later.

After the UEFA diciplinary case has been opened, Luiz Adriano claims he did not know what was going on, that he didnt see it, he stated that 48 hours after the episode, however he clearly looked at the ball, clearly noticed what happend, and was told by colleagues, but did not care.
    The aftermath is not done, still hoping for a lifetime ban of the player

*Such a ban, will greatly reduce his sales value, and thereby hit the team as well, for playing unsporty.
    Competition ranking;

Spectating;

Xtreme Member
    The guy was faking getting hurt. Why should the opposing team be nice about it?

The guy was faking getting hurt. Why should the opposing team be nice about it?
    They fake getting hurt, they even fake getting hit by other players, but suddently there is honour amongst thie..soccer players!!!
    *Gape & Ponder*

(\_/) This is Bunny.
    (+.+) Bunny is dead.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Peh, make beleive football...You guys need to learn to love REAL football not that kiddie kind!
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I've only been watching soccer for 2 years and it looks fine to me, these types of "surprise them on their heels" type plays usually happen in american football, they get shown on the news and people have a good laugh. If it happens to a professional team then too bad, they should be concentrating on the game. Maybe there's some old code that looks down on it but hey, it's perfectly legal.
    You certainly can't ban a guy for life! The players have to find a way to even the score themselves, or maybe the fans will boo him every time he touches the ball? IDK, it's not too extreme you can't ban someone for life over it! Come on playa!
    i3-8100 | GTX 970
    Ryzen 5 1600 | RX 580
    Assume nothing; Question everything

Aussie God
    Penalty has been decided by UEFA, its a quite mild penalty, however, a decent one, Shakhtar decided not to complain but accept the penalty and apologize for the episode.
    Penalty is 1 champions league game ban for the player, which means he cannot take part of next match.
    Competition ranking;

Spectating;

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    Peh, make beleive football...You guys need to learn to love REAL football not that kiddie kind!
    LoL, you mean the football where the players carry the ball with their hands?... We probably should "go there"...

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingcarcas View Post
    I've only been watching soccer for 2 years and it looks fine to me, these types of "surprise them on their heels" type plays usually happen in american football, they get shown on the news and people have a good laugh.
    It looks completely "legal" to me. I find it ridiculous that you can film and not get punished yet get punished for not being "nice" to the team whose player is filming.

Pie assassin
    the play is completely legal. 100% legit goal. if anything, blame the sweeper as his lazy play allowed this goal.... didnt even challenge the striker AT ALL and just WATCHED him make the goal.

sure its not the "respectable" thing to do, and personally I would have allowed the keeper the ball. As a sweeper, I would never have allowed the striker to get the ball unchallenged. you snooze, you loose simple as that.
    Current Status - Testing & Research

Aussie God
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenEffect View Post
    the play is completely legal. 100% legit goal. if anything, blame the sweeper as his lazy play allowed this goal.... didnt even challenge the striker AT ALL and just WATCHED him make the goal.

sure its not the "respectable" thing to do, and personally I would have allowed the keeper the ball. As a sweeper, I would never have allowed the striker to get the ball unchallenged. you snooze, you loose simple as that.
    Goal was not legit, otherwise there wouldnt be a fuss about it in the first place now would there? If you dont know the rules of the game, dont pretend doing so, it only makes you seem quite dumb to be frank.

Sidenote; Buffon, goalkeeper of Juventus and Italian national team, crowned best keeper in the world has stated that the given keeper has made the most impressive performance at this round so far, in the game they played against each other, Jesper Hansen made 3 world-class savings, Juventus managed to get only 1 goal in, could have been a slaughter.

Juventus is playing Shakhtar on 5th December, game is being played in Ukraine (no, thats not Italy....)

- Last but not least, for the Americans, first time in Champions League never goes well for any team, the expected performance is a bit as Detroit Lions, failing, the championsship is played very differently then any country league.

EDIT:
    There is a vast difference between being an expert, and having an opinion.
    Stating "it is legit", would be ok if you are an UEFA referee, otherwise it would be "it looks legit to me", there is a huge difference.
    In this situation it applies on 'filming' and 'fair play'.
    Sure football have had issues in the past with players faking it - but as an enthuciast and following lots of games, you will quickly notice that when ever its questionable if something really happend, it is always in situations of which it is beneficial for the team... When ball is not in play, I do not recall having seen anyone faking, atleast not clear to my memory, and I have watched more than a thousand games in my life.
    Last edited by M.Beier; 11-28-2012 at 05:23 AM.
    Competition ranking;

Spectating;

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast