Thread: Memory Compatiblity problems

Memory Compatiblity problems

I bought some Gskill sniper 16gb 8x2 model number f3-1600c9d-16gsr ddr3-1600 pc3-12800 . It wont run in dual channel mode, but runs fine In single channel mode. I have an asus P8Z77-V LK. I've tried both slots only 1 stick, all 4 slots every configuration possilbe, but it will only run in single channel. Is there a known compatibility problem with these sticks and this mobo? Are 8x2 generally a bad idea? Ty ahead of time.

G.Skill USA Tech
    Sounds like the motherboard may be defective if it will only work in single channel. Get it replaced and that should solve your problem.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH
    Feel free to contact ustech@gskillusa.com or use our G.Skill Q&A Sub-Forum, if having any questions about G.Skill products

Check out our items on NewEgg

Banned
    It could be a bad mobo or just a BIOS coding error that doesn't support this model 8 GB. DIMMs. I'd contact Asus tech support and see if they've had other reports on this mobo/RAM issue with the 8 GB. DIMMs. There may be a new BIOS that could fix the problem. 8 GB DIMMs are just becoming cost effective so not all BIOS support them yet though this mobo BIOS should.

As far as running with a single DIMM, obviously you can't run dual channel with only one DIMM. As long as two DIMMs are in any matching color DIMM slots, they should run in dual channel. Three DIMMs will default to single channel just like a single DIMM.

2x 8GB. DIMMs are not a problem with the correct BIOS. Generally two DIMMs are easier for the integrated memory controller as it only needs to access two vs. four DIMMs.

Ok So what would you do get a new mobo or new ram? How do I know its not the ram and it just doesnt like 4 x 4 better.