Thread: Samsung's new 64Gb NAND memory using 10 nanometer (nm)-class* process technology

Xtremeish

Samsung's new 64Gb NAND memory using 10 nanometer (nm)-class* process technology

Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., the world leader in advanced memory technology, today announced a next-generation 64GB embedded multimedia card (eMMC) using 10 nanometer (nm)-class* process technology. The new 64Gb NAND memory went into production late last month.

Myungho Kim, vice president of Memory marketing, Device Solutions, Samsung Electronics noted, "The new high-speed, small form factor eMMC reinforces Samsung's technology leadership in storage memory solutions. We look forward to expanding our line-up of embedded memory solutions in conjunction with the new chip's design, in pursuing a system-level adoption of application processors and other key components that form the foundation for the most advanced mobile platforms. This will allow us to better attend to time-to-market demands enabling the design of more convenient features for next-generation mobile applications." /snip
    Read the rest of the press release here.

Source:
    http://www.samsung.com/global/busine...l?newsId=12281

I am a bit baffled by it being produced with 10nm tech, wondering what they mean with the asterisk placed behind class as well.
    Aber ja, naturlich Hans nass ist, er steht unter einem Wasserfall - James May
    Hardware: Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H, Intel i5 4670k @ 4GHz, Crucial DDR3 BallistiX, Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II, Corsair HX 650W, Samsung 830 256GB, Silverstone Precision -|- Cooling: Noctua NH-C12P SE14

Xtreme Addict
    They prob mean 10 - 19 nm range and it will most likely fall into the higher part of that, 18nm would be a concrete guess.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by naokaji View Post
    They prob mean 10 - 19 nm range and it will most likely fall into the higher part of that, 18nm would be a concrete guess.
    is a concrete guess more solid than a bamboo guess?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by antiacid View Post
    is a concrete guess more solid than a bamboo guess?
    only by a small margin.

This is good news for phones and tablets, but I hope the lifetime and read/write speed didnt suffer too much. I would rather keep the capacities of phones the same for a while if people would concentrate on improved speeds instead.
    Rig 1:
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Intel i5 3570K @ 4.75GHz
    16GB of Team Xtreme DDR-2666 RAM (11-13-13-35-2T)
    Nvidia GTX 670 4GB SLI

Rig 2:
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX
    AMD FX-8350 @ 5.6GHz
    16GB of Mushkin DDR-1866 RAM (8-9-8-26-1T)
    AMD 6950 with 6970 bios flash

Yamakasi Catleap 2B overclocked to 120Hz refresh rate
    Audio-GD FUN DAC unit w/ AD797BRZ opamps
    Sennheiser PC350 headset w/ hero mod

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by EniGmA1987 View Post
    This is good news for phones and tablets, but I hope the lifetime and read/write speed didnt suffer too much. I would rather keep the capacities of phones the same for a while if people would concentrate on improved speeds instead.
    I concur.
    Notice any grammar or spelling mistakes? Feel free to correct me! Thanks

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    I concur.
    As long as we have the option to expand the storage via Memory Cards/USB then I am all for sticking phone storage in the 16-32-64GB range and going for speed.

I do like the fact they are looking into bypassing JEDEC in order to achieve the sort of speeds us Xtreme users expect. Standards are all well & good but sometimes you need someone pushing the envelope to create new & better tech.