Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AMD hires bank to explore options - sources

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by god_43 View Post
    stock price and market cap have nothing to do with how stable a company is (or how much they make). they are just measurements of popularity (for all intents and purposes). all they reflect are the markets sentiments towards the company. do you really believe apple will make 600bln in revenue (or profit) anytime soon...if you do; then i have a bridge i want you to look at.

quote me, end of next quarter they will be back to 3.00 or above.
    Do you work for AMD or have a lot of money invested with them. By your post history it seems you cling to anything remotely positive and often post it in the new section(atleast half the AMD news related posts are posted by you, no matter how small the news). If something bad is about to happen to AMD, you deny it is happening in some way(e.g AMD laying off workers is false, AMD stock price doesn't reflect anything negative and they are simply unpopular, Kavari isn't delayed, charlie has been inaccurate). Strangely enough, you exaggerate anything bad happening at intel(qualcomm is worth more than Intel now) or similarly you exaggerate anything positive at AMD(all of Qualcomms good fortune should have been AMDs).

I see someones whose reality is so distorted that I have a hard time believing that they don't have something invested in AMD. Or else your just trolling the forums.
    Last edited by tajoh111; 11-16-2012 at 01:09 PM.
    Core i7 920@ 4.66ghz(H2O)
    6gb OCZ platinum
    4870x2 + 4890 in Trifire
    2*640 WD Blacks
    750GB Seagate.

Xtreme Mentor
    Some numberz :

http://www.3dcenter.org/news/genauer...narchitekturen

http://www.investorvillage.com/mbthr...3936&showall=1

During 2012, AMD has sold way less FX processors during Q1, Q2 and Q3 than Athlon X2 processors during Q1.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by tajoh111 View Post
    Do you work for AMD or have a lot of money invested with them. By your post history it seems you cling to anything remotely positive and often post it in the new section(atleast half the AMD news related posts are posted by you, no matter how small the news). If something bad is about to happen to AMD, you deny it is happening in some way(e.g AMD laying off workers is false, AMD stock price doesn't reflect anything negative and they are simply unpopular, Kavari isn't delayed, charlie has been inaccurate). Strangely enough, you exaggerate anything bad happening at intel(qualcomm is worth more than Intel now) or similarly you exaggerate anything positive at AMD(all of Qualcomms good fortune should have been AMDs).

I see someones whose reality is so distorted that I have a hard time believing that they don't have something invested in AMD. Or else your just trolling the forums.
    first of all i dont exaggerate , the article said that and at the time (and i think still now) it was true. i didnt troll that article, i made a joke at the beginning (lol which was taken seriously, i even said it later on in the thread.). i am a positive person, so i tend to think positive. i never said they are not going to lay ppl off, i said the 30% number was bs....and i was right.

show me how the stock price affects the companies revenue or its financial stability, you do understand that a company only makes money from the initial ipo, after that it does not affect the company (in-terms of finance anyways). i still dont think kavari is delayed, the rumors are based on a road map that looks like and does not follow any of the previous roadmap design conventions, if i am wrong then i will have egg on my face.

in terms of bias against intel....i never claimed i had none. i do have issues with intel and their practices, but i dont think i troll intel (not for the last two three years anyways). i dont think i have ever said they make crappy products, intels techno achievements are impressive and their workers should be proud of it.

you sir are a far more interesting subject than i am. from bashing amd fans, calling them the worst, i remember buckeye (the mod) had your quote in his sig (i think he changed it though)....etc, to bashing amd/ati as being the worst brand, to praising nvidia any chance you get. dont throw stones at a glass house.
    [MOBO] Asus CrossHair Formula 5 AM3+
    [GPU] ATI 6970 x2 Crossfire 2Gb
    [RAM] G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600
    [CPU] AMD FX-8120 @ 4.8 ghz
    [COOLER] XSPC Rasa 750 RS360 WaterCooling
    [OS] Windows 8 x64 Enterprise
    [HDD] OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD
    [AUDIO] Logitech S-220 17 Watts 2.1

Xtreme Enthusiast
    It looks like the fear of no future drivers is starting to take it's toll on AMD's market share:

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderd...cuts-consoles/

Losing 5% in desktops and 10% in notebooks is pretty surprising given the bang per buck for the parts and the stellar games bundle. AMD GPUs is not AMD CPUs- they compete very well and to lose 15% in marketshare tells me the word is out and people are backing off the brand.

Put it this way- that games bundle had my finger above the "buy" button several times for a 7970, and the only thing that stopped me is it would have been a lateral move just to get the games.
    Intel 990x/Corsair H80 /Asus Rampage III
    Coolermaster HAF932 case
    Patriot 3 X 2GB
    EVGA GTX Titan SC
    Dell 3008

Xtreme Enthusiast
    or the stocks value (estimated future value) is the only driving force of investments today
    and people have reached the point of diminshing gains and that with more recessions occuring like in europe.
    Last edited by Greg83; 11-16-2012 at 05:14 PM.
    MM Duality eZ modded horizon (microres bracket). AMD 8120 4545Mhz 303x15 HTT 2727 1.512v load. 2121Mhz 1.08v idle. (48hour prime95 8k-32768 28GB ram) 32GB GeIL Cosra @ RAM 1212Mhz 8-8-8. 4870x2 800/900 load 200/200 idle. Intel Nic. Sabertooth 990fx . 4x64GB Crucial M4 raid 0 . 128GB Samsung 840 pro. 128GB OCZ Vertex 450. 6x250GB Seagate 7200.10 raid 0 (7+ years still running strong) esata raid across two 4 bay sans digital. Coolit Boreas Water Chiller. CoolerMaster V1000. 3x140MM back. 1x120MMx38MM back. 2x120MMx38MM Front. 6x120MM front. 2x120MM side. silverstone fan filters. 2x120MMx38MM over ram/PWM/VRM , games steam desura origin. 2x2TB WD passport USB 3.0 ($39 hot deal score) 55inch samsung 1080p tv @ 3 feet. $30 month equal payments no int (post xmas deal 2013)

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    SNIP
    Weren't you banned for some of your posts in the news section? Why are you still posting here....
    Last edited by LordEC911; 11-16-2012 at 06:02 PM.
    Originally Posted by motown_steve
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Olivon View Post
    Some numberz :

http://www.3dcenter.org/news/genauer...narchitekturen

http://www.investorvillage.com/mbthr...3936&showall=1

During 2012, AMD has sold way less FX processors during Q1, Q2 and Q3 than Athlon X2 processors during Q1.
    ok didnt we already know q3 numbers? thanks though for the interesting graphs (if you can find the original mercury research article that would be better.) but the last four ppl where predicting q4 numbers (products launched in this quarter), thats what i had a problem with because we dont know those numbers yet.

also i never did say amd would sell well the new fx cpus or not, i said we dont know the numbers yet tajoh111.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    It looks like the fear of no future drivers is starting to take it's toll on AMD's market share:

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderd...cuts-consoles/

Losing 5% in desktops and 10% in notebooks is pretty surprising given the bang per buck for the parts and the stellar games bundle. AMD GPUs is not AMD CPUs- they compete very well and to lose 15% in marketshare tells me the word is out and people are backing off the brand.

Put it this way- that games bundle had my finger above the "buy" button several times for a 7970, and the only thing that stopped me is it would have been a lateral move just to get the games.
    that is weird during the earnings call and idc both state that amd gained share verses lost? i am sure the year end numbers will clear up the conflicting reports.

Xtreme Mentor
    (if you can find the original mercury research article that would be better.)
    Those numbers are private and divulgated via Investor Village forum FYI.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Olivon View Post
    Those numbers are private and divulged via Investor Village forum FYI.
    ...but the forum is public? or do you mean someone posted private info to IV forum? thanks anyways, i think rollo might have a point, much like ppl flock to apple, all of the recent rumors and bad stock performance; may be causing ppl to look elsewhere (well its a reasonable connection anyways).

Xtreme Mentor
    ...but the forum is public? or do you mean someone posted private info to IV forum? thanks anyways, i think rollo might have a point, much like ppl flock to apple, all of the recent rumors and bad stock performance; may be causing ppl to look elsewhere (well its a reasonable connection anyways).
    http://www.investorvillage.com/mbthr...0217&showall=1

Someone who has access to the numbers every so often post them on investor village. It can be googled. Mercury research is a market research firm, their reports have an annual subscription fee of several thousands of dollars, that is what he means when he says they are 'private'. Mercury Research sells market data like AMD or Intel sell CPUs it is how their company makes money.
    Last edited by JumpingJack; 11-16-2012 at 10:02 PM.
    One hundred years from now It won't matter
    What kind of car I drove What kind of house I lived in
    How much money I had in the bank Nor what my cloths looked like.... But The world may be a little better Because, I was important In the life of a child.
    -- from "Within My Power" by Forest Witcraft

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by JumpingJack View Post
    http://www.investorvillage.com/mbthr...0217&showall=1

Someone who has access to the numbers every so often post them on investor village. It can be googled. Mercury research is a market research firm, their reports have an annual subscription fee of several thousands of dollars, that is what he means when he says they are 'private'. Mercury Research sells market data like AMD or Intel sell CPUs it is how their company makes money.
    oh ok thanks, thats what i thought he meant; but i just was not sure.

Xtreme Mentor
    AMD Prepares for January Reorganization, Including More Job Cuts - AllThingsD

Multiple sources confirm to AllThingsD that senior managers are girding their teams for yet another shakeup, though they are saying that the number of jobs that will be eliminated this time around will be much smaller. Some employees are being quietly told by managers that they will lose their jobs in January, but are being kept around for the moment as insurance against the possibility of other key people quitting before then, one source told me.
    Vijay Rakesh, an analyst with Sterne Agee, speculated that AMD could make $150 million on a sell/leaseback deal on its corporate real estate in Sunnyvale. Patent sales, he wrote, could net as much as $2.2 billion.
    As one source put it: All the old AMD street-fighters are gone, and a lot of them feel that Rory has made a big mistake in getting rid of them. Without them, people feel like theyre in a losing battle.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    It's the only thing that makes sense. AMD graphics is very comopetitive, the only possible reason they could lose this much in a quarter is buyers smell blood in the water and are avoiding AMD due to fears of no new drivers and being left in a lurch like 3DFX guys with only bathtub drivers.

They really shouldn't have sold Snapdragon, and they really should have focused on mobile far sooner.
    Coolermaster HAF932 case
    Patriot 3 X 2GB
    EVGA GTX Titan SC
    Dell 3008

Xtreme Addict
    Intel would have paid the whole value of AMD, as it stands, for just the ATi assets a few years ago - and if it weren't for competition law they would probably look to buy AMD largely for those assets now.

With ATi having been integrated into AMD and Nvidia fiercely independent, it leaves AMD as the only one able of competing in both the x86 CPU and graphics markets, and offering a complete APU - but not executing all that well, and Intel and Nvidia having areas they need to develop/adapt that a simple takeover would not solve - Intel would not need to transfer VIA's x86 licence in the event of a Nvidia takeover if AMD is competing.

It would have been better for all parties had it been an Nvidia/AMD merger and Intel takeover of ATi a few years ago. As things stands Intel has to play catch up (at considerable expense) on graphics - but are still far behind the curve, Nvidia have to forge their own path with CUDA/ARM and AMD/ATi are floundering.

I wouldn't say AMD are doing all that bad, sure, the CPU side of things isn't exactly lighting any fires but look at the GPU side. New drivers are starting to really unleash the power of the 7 series cards and truth be told with the new drivers coming out lately its killing nvidias GTX670/680 in the performance stakes. Couple that with the great prices on HD7950s especially, its only a matter of time I would think before AMD start to see the benefits of their (currently) superb driver work on the GPU front. I've seen plenty of people over the last few weeks who own GTX670s wanting to jump ship and get 7950s just because of the excellent driver work of late. Piledriver also isn't all that bad - it competes on the level of a 2500k or a 3570k, the problem, as ever with AMD, is their marketing. I hate to say it as I don't like in-your-face marketing like Apple, intel and others do, but AMD need to at least do a little of this.

"Prowler"
    X570 Tomahawk | R7 3700X | 2x16GB Klevv BoltX @ 3600MHz CL18 | Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil | Xonar DX 7.1 | 2TB Barracuda | 256GB & 512GB Asgard NVMe drives | 2x DVD & Blu-Ray opticals | EVGA Supernova 1000w G2

Cooling:

6x 140mm LED fans, 1x 200mm LED fan | Modified CoolerMaster Masterliquid 240

Asrock Z77 thread! | Asrock Z77 Extreme6 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4/6 Pro3 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Review | Asrock Z68 Gen3 Thread | 8GB G-Skill review | TK 2.ZERO homepage | P5Q series mBIOS thread
    Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Ket View Post
    I wouldn't say AMD are doing all that bad, sure, the CPU side of things isn't exactly lighting any fires but look at the GPU side. New drivers are starting to really unleash the power of the 7 series cards and truth be told with the new drivers coming out lately its killing nvidias GTX670/680 in the performance stakes. Couple that with the great prices on HD7950s especially, its only a matter of time I would think before AMD start to see the benefits of their (currently) superb driver work on the GPU front. I've seen plenty of people over the last few weeks who own GTX670s wanting to jump ship and get 7950s just because of the excellent driver work of late. Piledriver also isn't all that bad - it competes on the level of a 2500k or a 3570k, the problem, as ever with AMD, is their marketing. I hate to say it as I don't like in-your-face marketing like Apple, intel and others do, but AMD need to at least do a little of this.
    AMD marketing is honestly more in your face than Intels or Nvidia's at this point. Look at some of their viral videos(either company doesn't do it) and they are really trying to do a smear campaign.

What AMD is doing correctly this generation when it comes to marketing is getting alot more gaming evolved titles.

Nonetheless, with these price cuts, gaming evolved infusion and throwing in games, I see a company that is desperately trying to fight an uphill battle.

These moves might buy them market share but I could see AMD selling these card at a loss currently. AMD only made 18 million dollars from its graphic division last quarter. And with the 20% price drops and 100 dollars + of software tossed in with the top model, AMD margins must be gone at this point. Hardly enough to propel the R and D budget and generate the company real money. 28nm is a lot more expensive than 40nm and I have seen 7970 for as low as 300 dollars new, 7950's under 250. When you consider that they include 100+ of software, its a kamikaze move honestly. AMD must be desperate for marketshare. Selling cards at a loss doesn't reveal a healthy situation and shows a struggling company.

In addition, you have to remember, Nvidia could easily outprice AMD's card if they want to because they are smaller chips with less memory. They don't however because people are willing to pay a bit more for the nvidia brand. I think Nvidia better get a bit more aggressive soon because AMD cards are currently a steal at the moment and any rational person looking for pure performance(not performance per watt), would have to get an AMD card at the prices they are at(not the ghz edition 7970 though).
    Core i7 920@ 4.66ghz(H2O)
    6gb OCZ platinum
    4870x2 + 4890 in Trifire
    2*640 WD Blacks
    750GB Seagate.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by tajoh111 View Post
    AMD marketing is honestly more in your face than Intels or Nvidia's at this point. Look at some of their viral videos(either company doesn't do it) and they are really trying to do a smear campaign.

What AMD is doing correctly this generation when it comes to marketing is getting alot more gaming evolved titles.

Nonetheless, with these price cuts, gaming evolved infusion and throwing in games, I see a company that is desperately trying to fight an uphill battle.

These moves might buy them market share but I could see AMD selling these card at a loss currently. AMD only made 18 million dollars from its graphic division last quarter. And with the 20% price drops and 100 dollars + of software tossed in with the top model, AMD margins must be gone at this point. Hardly enough to propel the R and D budget and generate the company real money. 28nm is a lot more expensive than 40nm and I have seen 7970 for as low as 300 dollars new, 7950's under 250. When you consider that they include 100+ of software, its a kamikaze move honestly. AMD must be desperate for marketshare. Selling cards at a loss doesn't reveal a healthy situation and shows a struggling company.

In addition, you have to remember, Nvidia could easily outprice AMD's card if they want to because they are smaller chips with less memory. They don't however because people are willing to pay a bit more for the nvidia brand. I think Nvidia better get a bit more aggressive soon because AMD cards are currently a steal at the moment and any rational person looking for pure performance(not performance per watt), would have to get an AMD card at the prices they are at(not the ghz edition 7970 though).
    AMD lost 5% desktop and 10% laptop market share to NV in Q3 2012 as well. When you add that to your points about margins and giveaways, and the fact that even in good times AMDs GPU revenues are nowhere near enough to float their much larger CPU parent company, the picture gets fairly clear. People on forums like this see some other forum guys bought AMD cards and that they have great bang per buck and say things like "AMD is doing pretty well!" (@Ket) but the reality is far different. The "enthusiast on hardware forums market" is very very small. AMD needs some CPU wins.
    Coolermaster HAF932 case
    Patriot 3 X 2GB
    EVGA GTX Titan SC
    Dell 3008

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Rollo your opinions do not take the overall economy into account. There are many companies going through similar struggles right now.

Get off your AMD bashing high horse and try expanding your vision. <<<pun intended.

Theres a much broader scope of things going on economically then your narrow minded brush is covering.
    ASROCK 970 Extreme 3 // FX-6200 @ 4.65 (245x? 64bit os) 1.45v,2200 nb/HT //8GB Mushkin DDR3 @833 8-8-8-24 cmd1 1.55v // HD7850// Silverstone 650w // ~32inch portal // WDgreen and blue // Kingston v300 120GB SSD // watercooled with Swiftech storm rev2, Fez 240 , 655 pump not packed into a Corsair Obsidian 650D ///

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
    Rollo your opinions do not take the overall economy into account. There are many companies going through similar struggles right now.

Get off your AMD bashing high horse and try expanding your vision. <<<pun intended.

Theres a much broader scope of things going on economically then your narrow minded brush is covering.
    Errr...yeah....I'm bashing AMD...

I sent them $370 this week. I hope others take to "bashing" AMD like me so they survive the recession.

You seem to confuse "giving credit where credit is due, and criticism where criticism is due" with "bashing".

Sorry, I'm not going to post "Every decision AMD makes is a wise move and every part they make is a quality product that people should just go buy" like some others here seem to be up to.

I replaced my GTX670 with a 7970 because it's a better buy now and gave me the games bundle as incentive to do it.

If AMD throws in a different games bundle of shooters for 8350s, I'd consider replacing my 2500K just to support AMD and have a project at my hobby.

I'd call my approach "sensible" not "bashing". What are YOU doing to support AMD beyond criticising me, one of their high end customers?
    Coolermaster HAF932 case
    Patriot 3 X 2GB
    EVGA GTX Titan SC
    Dell 3008

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Maybe bashing is harsh but you are certainly overly critical of a company that has enticed you to buy there products. You also seem to attack anyone that has a positive view of AMD.

Nobody is saying every decision they have made is wise just some of them.

Again, the net result are shelves loaded with cool hardware at a great price.

Ive been supporting AMD since my first pc @ 75mhz. Getting ready to get a FX6300 for my main rig and build a Trinity HTPC as well. FYI I build Intel rigs and have no beef with them other then to me the I3 absolutely sucks.

Trinity is amazing in comparison! Exciting to recommend it to budget pc peeps. May try to mac osx mine (hackentosh). I know bad jethro!

Cant really justify a new card because the 7770 is proving more then enough for the games i play. We'll see what GW2 does to it

Glad you go your hands on a 7970, enjoy.
    ASROCK 970 Extreme 3 // FX-6200 @ 4.65 (245x? 64bit os) 1.45v,2200 nb/HT //8GB Mushkin DDR3 @833 8-8-8-24 cmd1 1.55v // HD7850// Silverstone 650w // ~32inch portal // WDgreen and blue // Kingston v300 120GB SSD // watercooled with Swiftech storm rev2, Fez 240 , 655 pump not packed into a Corsair Obsidian 650D ///

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12