Thread: water chiller question

ecliption

water chiller question

Hey ppls , Hello, Im the FNG here and so far im learning alot . This board is a world of info and I love it. Now here is my question I am planning to water cooling my rig but I just dont want a plain loop . I am asking if this water chiller can be included with out the rads..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Resun-Mini-2...90717937153%26

If not , what do you recommend? thanks for the advice/input/info. truly appreciate .

Xtreme Addict
    First i would like to welcome you to xs.
    Chilled water cooling is actually a huge hassal and not efficient.
    To see any benefits you would need to chill the water to the point in which either frost or atleast condensation occurs.

This means insulating all tubing, mobo, block etc. And using anti freeze coolant.
    The water chiller you linked i would not recommend .
    I would look for more cooling capacity

But honestly i would recommend staying away from chilled water for 24/7
    Case: Corsair 400R
    PSU: Corsair HX1000W
    mobo: Maximus IV Gene
    CPU: 2500K @ 4.2ghz 1.19 volts
    RAM: Gskill Ripjaws 1866mhz 2 x 4 gigs
    OS Drive: Kingston Hyper X ssd 120 gig
    Graphics: XFX HD5850
    Cooling: Corsair H100

ecliption
    thanks for getting at me Ozzfest. I had no idea about insulating the mobo, block etc. so basically it would be a waste of time and money for a 24/7 rig. Damn I was looking forward to running my rig around 5 @24/7 . Can that be achieved with a regular custom loop ?

GrangerM
    You can go sub zero with peltier chips, but they generate more heat, so need more radiator to cool them, plus a dedicated PSU is advised.
    And going sub zero, you still need to insulate around the chip to hold off condensation. I've been thinking about going that way for a while (just havent the cash to do it properly yet )

ecliption
    @GrangerM, I can dig it man. I wasnt looking for subzero though , I was just trying to get the water cooler lower than what a regular loop can do. maybe something like 10C nothing minus (-) though, just lower than 20C. Ive read that the loop water gets hotter in the summer so if the ambient is lets say 80 degrees inside my house the water in the loop maybe aswell. Maybe someone can chime in and break it down more ??

Xtreme Addict
    With regular water cooling your liquid temp can be no cooler than ambient temp.
    Also note that depending on your cpu 5ghz may not be achievable for 24/7.
    I personally would limit my overclock to 4.5ghz.
    At 5ghz voltages would be high for 24/7 and chip degredation is a real thing.
    Case: Corsair 400R
    PSU: Corsair HX1000W
    mobo: Maximus IV Gene
    CPU: 2500K @ 4.2ghz 1.19 volts
    RAM: Gskill Ripjaws 1866mhz 2 x 4 gigs
    OS Drive: Kingston Hyper X ssd 120 gig
    Graphics: XFX HD5850
    Cooling: Corsair H100

ecliption

4.5 it is....

point well taken. Im running 4.5 right now , i7 2600k but using a closed loop. Im fairly satisfied. I just want to get to 5ghz just to say Ive been there done that . In all honestly I find this to be fun. Im a mild gamer. I have mostly all the major titles. I play several titles in a week. But never just one game. I want fast and cool though. I have a evga 580 SC that I just bought like 9 months ago that hasnt even been broken in correctly cuz Im waiting to get a water block for it for the holidays. And so im here asking away finding out what really good just in time for the holidays. Thanks for your help fellaz. Much appreciated.

Xtreme Recruit
    ecliption, with a water cooler like the one in the OP, you can set the temperature of the water in the loop. So long as you keep it above the dew point inside your home, you won't have condensation. You won't have spectacular cooling, either, but you could conceivably have temps a few degrees below ambient.

With that particular unit, though, I'd be concerned about cooling capacity. I suspect that no matter what you set it to, it wouldn't cool very much...maybe not even down to ambient. If that's the case, you would benefit from putting it in series after a rad...the rad would get you closer to ambient, and the chiller a few degrees more.

If the chiller was capable of getting down to ambient, a rad would work AGAINST the chiller...it would take heat from the air in your home and put it into the water loop.

With a bigger chiller, the whole question becomes moot, and you're back to deciding whether or not you want to insulate everything and run below the dew point, or just set the temp to a couple of degrees above it. But at that point, you're looking at a $400-$1000 water chiller instead of a $200 one.

Or, you could just build a chiller out of an old window AC unit, there's already a thread here on that.