Thread: Long-term negative effects of running an H100[i] vertically

Xtreme Member

Question Long-term negative effects of running an H100[i] vertically

I was looking at this picture from the Switched On Tech Design site, and how they orientated this cooler:

http://www.sotechdesign.com.au/fract...-in-the-front/

I cannot find a good quality, nicely designed, mid-tower case to fit this cooler. I found the Fractal Design Define R4 case, but curious about long-term negative effects of running this cooler in this orientation. I'm thinking of the possibility of the pump sucking in air from the coolant, with the pump sitting at a level higher than the radiator.

Thanks in advance.
    Intel Core i7 920 @ 4.2 GHz w/Prolimatech Mega Shadow & San Ace 9G1212M101 | Asus Rampage II Gene BIOS 0904 | Corsair XMS3 1600 MHz CL7 6 x 2GB | Visiontek Radeon HD 4870 X2 | Intel X25-M 160GB SSD & WD Caviar Black 1TB | Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer PCI | Seasonic Gold X-750 Modular PSU | Antec Mini P180 w/dual San Ace 9G1212H101s | Eizo Nanao S2100 21"

it should not be a problem unless the pump has a priming problem if you put the rad below it. if you were really worried about it you could cut the line open and put a fill port rez on the top of the case with a T-line to make sure it stays primed.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

I am Xtreme
    As zan said, shouldn't be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    if you were really worried about it you could cut the line open and put a fill port rez on the top of the case with a T-line to make sure it stays primed.
    At that point, might as well go with a custom sysem.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

go and ask on the houseofhelp corsair forum they will tell you if it is ok or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterlogged View Post
    As zan said, shouldn't be an issue.

At that point, might as well go with a custom sysem.
    a t fitting, coupel inches of tubing, fill port and fill port rez are like $30 depending on the fittings (you do not even need the rez)
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400

Xtreme Member
    That cooling system is FULLY SEALED. You cannot add t-lines and sorts. It should not have any air in it as it is pre-filled and sealed in factory.

Cheeers!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    If you are worried (and you shouldn't be) I would have thought other fractal cases should fit it in the top. I fit an H100 in the top of their mATX case the Arc Mini with no problems.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by tgm_of_xxl View Post
    That cooling system is FULLY SEALED. You cannot add t-lines and sorts. It should not have any air in it as it is pre-filled and sealed in factory.

Cheeers!
    Well if you cut the line open its not really fully sealed anymore...hence how you add the tline.

Xtreme Mentor
    Why you you even want to mod an H100 in the first place, They are throwaway devices, meant to survive barely past the warrenty period?
    All stock for now, no need for more, but it's gonna be soon methinks.
    Giga Xtreme 58 mobo i7 965 ES D0 step Corsair 1600 6 gig
    SLI GTX470 EVGA
    EK HF nickle blue top CPU block (free from Eddie)
    Koolance 470 waterblocks
    One big loop, two 120x3 rads. Pa 120.3 and XSPC RX 120x3. Swiftech 35x pump with V2 restop. GT AP15 fans.
    Banchetto Tech Station
    120 GB SSD, and a few other drives.
    1000W UltraX3 PSU, 900 watt (1500VA UPS
    23.999" Acer GD235hz and 24" Acer H243H

Quote Originally Posted by tgm_of_xxl View Post

Cheeers!
    there is typically an air trap in the rad of the closed systems. they are never fully sealed and that is one of the reasons that some should not be mounted with the pump as the top point. but posting on the corsair forum would solve this instantly.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Conumdrum View Post
    Why you you even want to mod an H100 in the first place, They are throwaway devices, meant to survive barely past the warrenty period?
    ^ +1. Why indeed.

Xtreme Addict
    I remember reading about people who tried to mod their H50 and suffered a horrible surprise (unit blew and some comoponents were destroyed)
    I wouldn't mod a sealed unit.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cdawall View Post
    Well if you cut the line open its not really fully sealed anymore...hence how you add the tline.
    That would forfeit the 5 year warranty that Corsair gives. And for that matter if they say it's good for 5 years, until now I have no reason not to believe them...