Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Razer Naga gaming mouse requires always-on Internet connection

Xtreme crazy bastid

Razer Naga gaming mouse requires always-on Internet connection

Razer Naga gaming mouse requires always-on Internet connection, license agreement says they can use this to spy on you

Found this on another forum:
    http://boingboing.net/2012/11/07/raz...se-requir.html

Channelx99, a poster on the overclock.net forums, says that the Razer Naga gaming mouse comes with special drivers that require your computer to be connected to the Internet at all times in order to play -- and this means that the mouse was useless when it was first plugged in, because Razer's servers were down.

Parsing the Razer license agreement, Channelx99 finds that Razer reserves the right to spy on all your activity and to sell or data-mine that data. Multiple emails to Razer from Channelx99 have not created any clarity on this, as the company only sends back generic customer-service messages that don't explain whether the purpose of the drivers is really to spy on and monetize users.
    There's more at the linked article, plus a link to the guy who dug into it: http://www.overclock.net/t/1319323/r...rvers-are-down

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Addict
    Most Razer hardware now uses Synapse software, its not just Naga.
    TAMGc5: PhII X4 945, Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD3P, 2x Kingston PC2-6400 HyperX CL4 2GB, 2x ASUS HD 5770 CUcore Xfire, Razer Barracuda AC1, Win8 Pro x64 (Current)

TAMGc6: AMD FX, Gigabyte GA-xxxx-UDx, 8GB/16GB DDR3, Nvidia 680 GTX, ASUS Xonar, 2x 120/160GB SSD, 1x WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 6Gb/s, Win8 Pro x64 (Planned)

Xtreme Addict
    So nobody at Razer thought about what would happen to their bottom line when this eventually exploded all over the net?
    Seems we made our greatest error when we named it at the start
    for though we called it "Human Nature" - it was cancer of the heart
    CPU: AMD X3 720BE@ 3,4Ghz
    Cooler: Xigmatek S1283(Terrible mounting system for AM2/3)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte 790FXT-UD5P(F4) RAM: 2x 2GB OCZ DDR3 1600Mhz Gold 8-8-8-24
    GPU:HD5850 1GB
    PSU: Seasonic M12D 750W Case: Coolermaster HAF932(aka Dusty )

Xtreme Member
    This is the stupidest thing concerning mice ive ever heard. What happens when my internet connection dies, which it does every few months, due to upgrades and repairs and whatnot. Will it not work then? Or will the basic functions work? Im looking to buy a new mouse right now, and this was one of the contenders.

It only needs to be connected once

After that synapse2 will sync your changes to razer servers and have a local copy at /appData/roaming/rzrsynapse or something like that

they made synapse2 so you can get your settings from anywhere...also works as a backup

Also i think there's still a driver just for naga that does not need internet connection, but i'm not sure if it works with 2012 model

Edit. My phone went crazy while i was typing
    Last edited by Evantaur; 11-08-2012 at 01:06 AM.

I like large posteriors and I cannot prevaricate

What a huge epic fail, so now hardware comes with online DRM or whatever? And forces users to install spyware? Pass.
    AMD Threadripper 12 core 1920x CPU OC at 4Ghz | ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme X399 motherboard | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 RAM | Gigabyte 11GB GTX 1080 Ti Aorus Xtreme GPU | SilverStone Strider Platinum 1000W Power Supply | Crucial 1050GB MX300 SSD | 4TB Western Digital HDD | 60" Samsung JU7000 4K UHD TV at 3840x2160

i had seen a thing that razer had problems with their software crashing when the internet had connection problems (before this), or on laptops that recover from sleep with no internet.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Rava6e View Post
    This is the stupidest thing concerning mice ive ever heard. What happens when my internet connection dies, which it does every few months, due to upgrades and repairs and whatnot. Will it not work then? Or will the basic functions work? Im looking to buy a new mouse right now, and this was one of the contenders.
    Basic kb / mouse functionality is all integrated in the operating system, kb / mouse drivers are always only for extra functions.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrono Detector View Post
    What a huge epic fail, so now hardware comes with online DRM or whatever?
    That's not what's going on. Razer's products now get their drivers from the cloud and store a user profile there as well. When you first install any of them you'll need an internet connection to download what you need and get off and running. Once this is done you will have a local profile and be able to use the mouse as normal. Now if you go to another computer like at say a LAN or whatever and run synapse it will pull your profile for you as well. The online connection is always on so it can update your profile and check for updates.

It's pretty painless unless you run into one of two situations. The first is that their servers are offline when you are attempting to install synapse, at which point their products revert to generic keyboard/mouse. The second is that if you're internet connection is crappy it has a hitch between offline/online swaps.

If you care that much, you can download synapse 2.0, configure your stuff and then block it. You won't lose full functionality, but it won't update your profile in the cloud and you won't be able to pull a profile, you'll simply be stuck with your local profile.

You can resume your regularly scheduled freak out now.
    AMD Phenom II BE, ASUS Crosshair II formula, 8gb ddr2 800, 470 SLI, PC P&C 750, arcera RAID, 4x OCZ Vertex2, 2x samsung 7200 1tb, HT Omega Clario +

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by crash5s View Post
    That's not what's going on. Razer's products now get their drivers from the cloud and store a user profile there as well. When you first install any of them you'll need an internet connection to download what you need and get off and running. Once this is done you will have a local profile and be able to use the mouse as normal. Now if you go to another computer like at say a LAN or whatever and run synapse it will pull your profile for you as well. The online connection is always on so it can update your profile and check for updates.

It's pretty painless unless you run into one of two situations. The first is that their servers are offline when you are attempting to install synapse, at which point their products revert to generic keyboard/mouse. The second is that if you're internet connection is crappy it has a hitch between offline/online swaps.

If you care that much, you can download synapse 2.0, configure your stuff and then block it. You won't lose full functionality, but it won't update your profile in the cloud and you won't be able to pull a profile, you'll simply be stuck with your local profile.

I agree. While it is a more connected driver set up i think its a good step forward.
    TAMGc5: PhII X4 945, Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD3P, 2x Kingston PC2-6400 HyperX CL4 2GB, 2x ASUS HD 5770 CUcore Xfire, Razer Barracuda AC1, Win8 Pro x64 (Current)

TAMGc6: AMD FX, Gigabyte GA-xxxx-UDx, 8GB/16GB DDR3, Nvidia 680 GTX, ASUS Xonar, 2x 120/160GB SSD, 1x WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 6Gb/s, Win8 Pro x64 (Planned)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Syn. View Post
    I agree. While it is a more connected driver set up i think its a good step forward.
    It's not even that much more connected for the driver set up, and it's a huge step forward.

When you purchase your product you need to create a synapse account/profile once to download your drivers from the cloud. Once you get everything going after that, you don't need to connect synapse online again. That's it, your done. You can now use the drivers locally and you will have a local profile. If you want to be dead sure about it you can even block the synapse program from going online and it will work just fine. This is no different than any other software I use at work or other products where you register it and then download the software. Does anybody even use the driver CD that comes with a product anymore? That crap is always out of date and often asks you to register as well.

For me I installed it at home first and created all my shortcuts, macros, program specific junk, and up it went. Went into work and logged into my profile and down it came. Ditto at my friends house. I haven't updated it at home, if I go into synapse to screw around with stuff it will let me know it's not updated but it doesn't interfere with anything. I think that they have a razer store/twitter/facebook button inside synapse to be a bit stupid but I don't really care. My friend has the same keyboard and when he plays over here he can just switch to his profile if he wants. It's kinda nice actually.

You don't have to be connected to the razer cloud if you don't want to be once the initial install is done and over with. It's up to you if you want to keep an updated profile in the cloud or not. But there is no DRM here and there is no requirement for an always on connection.

This post was typed from my apartment with a fully functional blackwidow ultimate with synapse not connected to the internets!
    AMD Phenom II BE, ASUS Crosshair II formula, 8gb ddr2 800, 470 SLI, PC P&C 750, arcera RAID, 4x OCZ Vertex2, 2x samsung 7200 1tb, HT Omega Clario +

Quote Originally Posted by crash5s View Post

wouldent making it off line with a sync button make this way easier. and that EULA addition of collecting data that they can sell is not something that should be going on.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    wouldent making it off line with a sync button make this way easier. and that EULA addition of collecting data that they can sell is not something that should be going on.
    The software is still in beta so keep that in mind. But they won't share your personal information unless you agree to it, it's not really that much more malicious than steam. I don't really agree with it, but the horse you're upset about here left the gate with Valve and is never coming back.

Furthermore, you don't have to keep it online. If you just install synapse to get your drivers and local profiles and then cut it off the internet your product is still fully functional, problem fixed. I agree that they should have a button to make this easier don't get me wrong. However the concept that you have to keep connected to razers cloud 24/7 to use your product and keep giving them information just isn't correct.

The people who started this whole mess appear to be upset and a bit confused. They state the activation/driver whatever servers were down, that's a logical gripe and it's stupid on razers part. They state synapse has to always be online, this is false. They seem to know this because then he complains that the software is hitching moving from online to offline mode... McFly should think here because it obviously has an offline mode if it's switching to it (and I haven't had this issue). The other complaint is that it pops up and annoys people for updates (never seen it do this).

I'd say they ed up because what's going on has obviously confused a lot of people and they should make it easier to manage offline vs online. But claiming that their software requires always online to use your Razer equipment so it can spy on you while throwing pop-ups at you just isn't true.

Brilliant Idiot
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    Thats probably just razer's way of saying that they are protecting them selves from isuzu drivers.....I SUZ U.
    heatware chew*
    I've got no strings to hold me down.
    To make me fret, or make me frown.
    I had strings but now I'm free.
    There are no strings on me

“aggregate information” is information that describes the habits, usage patterns, and demographics of Subscribers as a group (which may include computer system and device data) but does not describe or reveal the identity of any particular Subscriber.

“individual information” is information about a Subscriber (which may include computer system and device data) that is presented in a form distinguishable from information relating to other Subscribers but not in a form that personally identifies any Subscriber or enables the recipient to communicate directly with any Subscriber unless agreed to by the Subscriber in advance of such communication.

“personally identifiable information” may consist of a Subscriber’s name, email address, physical address or other data about the Subscriber that enables the Subscriber to be personally identified.
    By using Razer Synapse 2.0 (“Synapse”), the Subscriber agrees that Razer may collect aggregate information, individual information, and personally identifiable information. Razer may share aggregate information and individual information with other parties. Razer shall not share personally identifiable information with other parties, except as described in the policy below.

Razer may use customer contact information provided by Subscribers to send information about Razer, including news about product updates, contests, events, and other promotional materials, but only if the Subscriber agrees to receive such communications. Except in the cases described below, Razer will not share personally identifiable information with any third party unless the Subscriber agrees to such disclosure in advance.

While provision of personally identifiable information remains entirely voluntary, Razer reserves the right to make access to certain value-added services or features conditional upon the supply of personally identifiable information. In such situations, the Subscriber will be given the option to decline use of the particular value added service or feature if he does not wish to furnish personally identifiable information.

In some situations, personally identifiable information the Subscriber inputs in connection with Synapse may be made searchable or otherwise available to other Subscribers (such as in certain public functions). Razer has no obligation to keep the privacy of personally identifiable information that is made available by a Subscriber to other Subscribers.

Collection of personally identifiable information may be out-sourced to associates under agreement with Razer. These associates may adhere to their own set of privacy policies.

Personally identifiable information will be processed and stored by Razer in databases hosted in secure locations. Razer has taken reasonable steps to protect the information Subscribers share with it, including, but not limited to, setup of processes, equipment and software to avoid unauthorized access or disclosure of this information.

Razer may allow third parties performing services under contract with Razer to access stored information but such access shall only be to the extent necessary to provide those services. In those instances, the third party will be bound by the terms of this Privacy Policy.

Razer may release personally identifiable information to comply with court orders or laws that require us to disclose such information, without the need of consent from the Subscriber.
    source

I like large posteriors and I cannot prevaricate

Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post
    Thats probably just razer's way of saying that they are protecting them selves from isuzu drivers.....I SUZ U.

affter origin i do not trust any time that is put in.

Brilliant Idiot
    Razer may release personally identifiable information to comply with court orders or laws that require us to disclose such information, without the need of consent from the Subscriber.
    So what if they want to help lock up child :banana::banana::banana::banana:ographers......If your doing nothing wrong....why act paranoid.
    heatware chew*
    I've got no strings to hold me down.
    To make me fret, or make me frown.
    I had strings but now I'm free.
    There are no strings on me

Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post
    So what if they want to help lock up child :banana::banana::banana::banana:ographers......If your doing nothing wrong....why act paranoid.
    we all do things wrong, and there are things that you do without knowing it. and what about personal info like your browser history, or any account information, passwords from raw input, emails, chat, and any other information. we saw EA scan files with origin with no explanation and they had allot of upload on some people (like gigs) so who knows what they are really doing.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    lucky my MS Sidewinder doesn't need me to have a internet connect to use the mouse...lol
    Main Rig:
    Processor & Motherboard:AMD Ryzen5 1400 ' Gigabyte B450M-DS3H
    Random Access Memory Module:Adata XPG DDR4 3000 MHz 2x8GB
    Graphic Card:XFX RX 580 4GB
    Power Supply Unit:FSP AURUM 92+ Series PT-650M
    Storage Unit:Crucial MX 500 240GB SATA III SSD
    Processor Heatsink Fan:AMD Wraith Spire RGB
    Chasis:Thermaltake Level 10GTS Black

c[_]
    Well, guess I wont be buying Razer ever again.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Addict
    Why not ditch the Razer app and just install something like XMouseButtonControlSetup ??

I wouldn't use/buy ANY Razer nor any other h/ware if it required me to go online to get full usage out of the product, bad enough that some games force an online connection
    lots and lots of cores and lots and lots of tuners,HTPC's boards,cases,HDD's,vga's,DDR1&2&3 etc etc all powered by Corsair PSU's

Xtreme Member
    Crapware.

Xtreme crazy bastid
    Contrary to the affirmations of one fanboi, this is not a positive step. This is a hideous breach of people's privacy disguised as "convenience" and tolerating it will only embolden other companies to take similar and ever progressing steps to further monetize your personal information, not even for your limited benefit but their own.
    1984 was a warning, not an instruction manual.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Addict
    Good thing my Lachesis does not use Synapse2 sofwtware. Just standard offline driver...
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
    G-Skill Ripjaws X 16Gb - 2133Mhz
    Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme
    i7 2600k @ 4.4Ghz
    Sapphire 7970 OC 1.2Ghz
    Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 128Gb

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by D_A View Post
    Contrary to the affirmations of one fanboi, this is not a positive step. This is a hideous breach of people's privacy disguised as "convenience" and tolerating it will only embolden other companies to take similar and ever progressing steps to further monetize your personal information, not even for your limited benefit but their own.
    1984 was a warning, not an instruction manual.
    Well said D_A
    lots and lots of cores and lots and lots of tuners,HTPC's boards,cases,HDD's,vga's,DDR1&2&3 etc etc all powered by Corsair PSU's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast