Thread: Advice for a PSU

Fight Club

Advice for a PSU

Building a computer from old parts for a work station to be a RIP computer purely for sending large files to a wide format printer.

The components are:
    Mobo: Abit AW9D-Max
    Chip: Intel quad core 3.4 (Big Typhoon cooler)
    Video Card: ATI Radeon 4870HD
    Memory: 8gb OCZ 8500 Ripjaw (2gb x 4)
    HDD: (1) WD SATA 250gb Black Caviar
    1 CD-Rom drive

All I need to complete this rig is a PSU. Therefore, my question is: How big & what kind of a power supply do I need to power this? It's been a while since I've bought a power supply and the ones that I have in my wife's and my computer are 800w PC power & cooling and at the time were $200+. I'm not looking to go that big for this little PC I'm building but I want to make sure it has enough juice to power the 1 video card and the PC itself. I'm looking for the least expensive of coarse. Be nice to stay under $50 if at all possible.

newegg or tiger direct links would be the most helpful.

Thanks so much in advance !!

Banned
    PC Power and Cooling and Seasonic are top PSU choices. There are any number of PSU calculators online. You probably can get by with 500-650w from a quality PSU. I'd look at the Seasonic X650 if you want to be a little future-proof. The PCPC Silencer III 600W would also be sufficient,l IMO.

The calculator at the link below works well if you enter accurate info. It also allows you to add a safety margin for capacitor aging, etc.

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/p...ulatorlite.jsp
    Last edited by AMDforME; 11-06-2012 at 02:12 PM.