Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: no, this is not the 1st of april ... x86 beats ARM at power efficency in Tablets

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drwho? View Post
    Performance was not a issue to crack, but now that x86 with Atom is more power efficient than ARM, it is good enough that I come out of my hole to share
    Ok, fair enough but wrong type..Now about these new IB xeons....
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

the jedi master
    Anand often jumps in with graphs like this and overlooks other variables. The batteries would need to be standardised for the tests, same screens, etc etc then decide which is most efficient.

Its nothing to do with ARM CPU's being less efficient, its all to do with the Samsung platform they tested being very efficient overall.

Apples to apples people, anything else is just wasted editorial and confuses things...(when comparing CPU's etc )
    Got a problem with your OCZ product....?
    Have a look over here
    Tony AKA BigToe

Tuning PC's for speed...Run whats fast, not what you think is fast

Xtreme Addict
    If nothing else it shows x86 can be power competitive with ARM in certain scenarios, who would have made that kind of argument before.
    Work Rig: Asus x58 P6T Deluxe, i7 950 24x166 1.275v, BIX2/GTZ/D5
    3x2048 GSkill pi Black DDR3 1600, Quadro 600
    PCPower & Cooling Silencer 750, CM Stacker 810

Game Rig: Asus x58 P6T, i7 970 24x160 1.2v HT on, TRUE120
    3x4096 GSkill DDR3 1600, PNY 660ti
    PCPower & Cooling Silencer 750, CM Stacker 830

AMD Rig: Biostar TA790GX A2+, x4 940 16x200, stock hsf
    2x2gb Patriot DDR2 800, PowerColor 4850
    Corsair VX450

Xtreme Member
    heh, Atom, effective? - No way! Still in order slow c*ap, sorry. Like Tony said, we need apples to apples comparison.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by PedantOne View Post
    heh, Atom, effective? - No way! Still in order slow c*ap, sorry. Like Tony said, we need apples to apples comparison.
    Your post is funny. Why do you need "apples to apples comparison" if you have already decided that Atom is c*ap? And what if "apples to apples comparison" will not support your idea? It seems someone already entered a "denial mode".

I am Xtreme
    theres many ways to do a fair comparison as long as things are mentioned and attempted to be compared in the exact why specified.

for example:
    "best total battery life for similar priced and weight" would indicate that you can have 2 completely different platforms with way different specs, but whats important is price and weight. that would be apples to apples in my opinion.

another could be to compare with similar screen size and resolution while watching video. one might perform much better, but then also cost much more. such details would need to be pointed out.

its just way to easy for people to read a single chart and think they know the whole story, thats why marketing is 90% charts.
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

Xtreme Addict
    Maybe it is better to wait the full review is online...

But looking this tab is running a full win8 version, sport a 11.6" 1368x768 screen ( PLS if im right ), 2gb of DDR + 64gb of storage.. seeing the battery life is looking really good with the new clover trail is an excellent surprise.
    Last edited by Lanek; 11-06-2012 at 11:12 AM.
    CPU: - I7 4930K (EK Supremacy )
    GPU: - 2x AMD HD7970 flashed GHZ bios ( EK Acetal Nickel Waterblock H2o)
    Motherboard: Asus x79 Deluxe
    RAM: G-skill Ares C9 2133mhz 16GB
    Main Storage: Samsung 840EVO 500GB / 2x Crucial RealSSD C300 Raid0

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    theres many ways to do a fair comparison as long as things are mentioned and attempted to be compared in the exact why specified.

for example:
    "best total battery life for similar priced and weight" would indicate that you can have 2 completely different platforms with way different specs, but whats important is price and weight. that would be apples to apples in my opinion.

another could be to compare with similar screen size and resolution while watching video. one might perform much better, but then also cost much more. such details would need to be pointed out.

its just way to easy for people to read a single chart and think they know the whole story, thats why marketing is 90% charts.

I would agree that price is importanr, tbh I never cared for how much a device weights,
    この世界には 人の運命を司る 何らかの超越的な 〝律〝...... 〝神の手〝が 存在するのだろうか? 少なくとも 人は 自らの意志さえ 自由にはできな

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by kuroikenshi View Post
    I would agree that price is importanr, tbh I never cared for how much a device weights,
    my brother as an old asus netbook, its a bit thicker than these tablet/keyboard combos and a bit heavier. but for 2 year old tech and only 400$ that does things nearly identically as these with similar battery life, its kinda funny how much ascetics sell for.
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    So your here..Ok, there is a charge for doing the PR and that charge is some news on next gen Intel chips..
    ^ what this guy said

I am Xtreme
    A more interesting number would be performance per watt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Its nothing to do with ARM CPU's being less efficient, its all to do with the Samsung platform they tested being very efficient overall.
    CPU is a part of platform. So it has a lot to do with the CPU.
    You won't see these CPUs sitting on the same motherboard, it is simply not possible. Best platform offer vs best platform offer comparison is perfectly valid.
    As already mentioned, the devices have similar batteries, and x86 tablet has a larger display, so it's actually at disadvantage.
    If you're trying to say that ARM platforms are inefficient, it's not like consumers can somehow swap things around to take advantage of a "seemingly more efficient" CPU.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Anand often jumps in with graphs like this and overlooks other variables. The batteries would need to be standardised for the tests, same screens, etc etc then decide which is most efficient.

Apples to apples people, anything else is just wasted editorial and confuses things...(when comparing CPU's etc )
    Totally agree on these points. I think there is a whole lot of jumping to conclusions in this thread.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    PR thread for Intel in the name of Anand??
    Main Rig:
    Processor & Motherboard:AMD Ryzen5 1400 ' Gigabyte B450M-DS3H
    Random Access Memory Module:Adata XPG DDR4 3000 MHz 2x8GB
    Graphic Card:XFX RX 580 4GB
    Power Supply Unit:FSP AURUM 92+ Series PT-650M
    Storage Unit:Crucial MX 500 240GB SATA III SSD
    Processor Heatsink Fan:AMD Wraith Spire RGB
    Chasis:Thermaltake Level 10GTS Black

Xtreme Member
    if this numbers can be trusted http://www.anandtech.com/show/6340/i...dows-8-tablets
    it looks quite competitive, and it have a huge advantage when it comes to software compatibility....
    now what about the price of this SoC compared to the ARM competition?

Xtreme Addict

Xtreme Member
    Nice propoganda but what about the performance? Who cares if your battery last 100 hours but if you have to wait 10 hours before a page is loaded? Or things go shocky or slow?
    Performance per watt is what defines tables imo. Not just Energy Efficiency

Also these remarks:
    - different process node (probably intel 22nm compared to 28 or 32nm ARM cores which are based on generic proces nodes)
    - if above, who says it is architecture related? It probably has nothing to do with x86... but all to do with a very good Intel manafuctaring process... to which arm has no access to.
    Last edited by BoredByLife; 11-07-2012 at 12:45 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    How can you compare these different processors/devices when they all have a different battery capacity ..

Main rig 1: Corsair Carbide 400R 4x120mm Papst 4412GL - 1x120mm Noctua NF-12P -!- PC Power&Cooling Silencer MK III 750W Semi-Passive PSU -!- Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H -!- Intel i7 4790K -!- Swiftech H220 pull 2x Papst 4412 F/2GP -!- 4x4gb Crucial Ballistix Tactical 1866Mhz CAS9 1.5V (D9PFJ) -!- 1Tb Samsung 840 EVO SSD -!- AMD RX 480 to come -!- Windows 10 pro x64 -!- Samsung S27A850D 27" + Samsung 2443BW 24" -!- Sennheiser HD590 -!- Logitech G19 -!- Microsoft Sidewinder Mouse -!- Fragpedal -!- Eaton Ellipse MAX 1500 UPS .

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by BoredByLife View Post
    Nice propoganda but what about the performance? Who cares if your battery last 100 hours but if you have to wait 10 hours before a page is loaded? Or things go shocky or slow?

Also these remarks:
    - different process node (probably intel 22nm compared to 28 or 32nm ARM cores which are based on generic proces nodes)
    - if above, who says it is architecture related? It probably has nothing to do with x86... but all to do with a very good Intel manafuctaring process... to which arm has no access to.
    Clovertrail is 32nm - the power saving is likely coming mostly from the extra sleep states and other power optimisations that have been developed to cover the whole product range, not just Atom. Clovertrail is just the first product to ship with some of these features.

Silvermont will probably be another big leap forward in performance and efficiency with a new Atom core design on a power optimised 22nm process - which I suspect will match/beat ARM in most if not all performance metrics.

Xtreme Addict

Also these remarks:
    Here are some performance numbers (vs. Tegra 3):

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6385/m...face-review/10

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kl0012 View Post
    Here are some performance numbers (vs. Tegra 3):

Well, thats pretty bad is it... And + the huge size of the bloated win8 OS for tablets...
    I'd prefer ARM for the moment. Especially since Tegra3 isnt the best chip...

Xtreme Addict
    Well, thats pretty bad is it... And + the huge size of the bloated win8 OS for tablets...
    Hm... How is that bad? 30-50% faster then Tegra3 and runs fully functional Windows8 (not pathetic Windows RT) while comparable in battery life and you call it bad? Then what's good?

I'd prefer ARM for the moment. Especially since Tegra3 isnt the best chip...
    Tegra3 is one of the best. Quad core exynos is better, but as far as I know there are no WinRT devices using this chip. Another option is dual-core Krait which is slower then Tegra3 in multithreaded workloads.

Xtreme Member
    Hm... How is that bad? 30-50% faster then Tegra3 and runs fully functional Windows8 (not pathetic Windows RT) while comparable in battery life and you call it bad? Then what's good?

Tegra3 is one of the best. Quad core exynos is better, but as far as I know there are no WinRT devices using this chip. Another option is dual-core Krait which is slower then Tegra3 in multithreaded workloads.
    These benchmarks tell you exactly nothing at all about ARM performance versus Atom performance.
    They may tell you that the Chrome browser is much faster as Windows 8 plus IE 10 in javascript
    except for an intriguing SunSpider result,

Code:
    KRAKEN (lower is better) single threaded javascript (jit compiler), 

9733    Chrome     1.70GHz Cortex A15
    14229    Chrome     1.66GHz Atom (N570)
    33855    MS IE10    1.80GHz Atom (Z2760)
    49595    MS IE10    1.30GHz Cortex A9
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/6422/s...s-cortex-a15/6

The new Intel multimedia benchmark used by AnandTech: TouchXPRT 2013 is another brainchild
    of dr Who's boss Shervin Kheradpir, General Manager of Intel's Performance Benchmarking and Analysis
    Group and founding President of Bapco (via HDXPRT/Principled Technologies)

http://www.hdxprt.com/blog/2012/10/2...the-fast-lane/ AnandTech was the first to use the test
    http://intel-mydreampc-1829796403.us...Whitepaper.pdf

The 1.3GHz Quad core A9 Tegra 3 comes out worse as the 1.8GHz Dual core Atom. Well for bandwidth limited
    multimedia benchmarks that's not that hard to do considering the 32bit bus on the Tegra 3 versus the 64bit
    bus on the Z2760, Apple uses 128 bit buses and Samsung's Exynos 5450 will have a 128 bit bus as well I guess.
    Most of the other new SOC's use 64 bit buses.

Hans

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post
    These benchmarks tell you exactly nothing at all about ARM performance versus Atom performance.
    They may tell you that the Chrome browser is much faster as Windows 8 plus IE 10 in javascript
    except for an intriguing SunSpider result,

Code:
    KRAKEN (lower is better) single threaded javascript (jit compiler), 

9733    Chrome     1.70GHz Cortex A15
    14229    Chrome     1.66GHz Atom (N570)
    33855    MS IE10    1.80GHz Atom (Z2760)
    49595    MS IE10    1.30GHz Cortex A9
    It's really doesn't matter in this case since WinRT is mostly limited to IE (MS didn't open Win API to third party, so no Google V8 javascript engine is expected in the near future). Someone was worried about how fast Atom can load web pages in Win8 - so it's pretty much fast (faster than tegra3 in IE and a lot faster when using desktop chrome)

The new Intel multimedia benchmark used by AnandTech: TouchXPRT 2013 is another brainchild
    of dr Who's boss Shervin Kheradpir, General Manager of Intel's Performance Benchmarking and Analysis
    Group and founding President of Bapco (via HDXPRT/Principled Technologies)

http://www.hdxprt.com/blog/2012/10/2...the-fast-lane/ AnandTech was the first to use the test
    http://intel-mydreampc-1829796403.us...Whitepaper.pdf
    You mean the benchmark is crippled?

The 1.3GHz Quad core A9 Tegra 3 comes out worse as the 1.8GHz Dual core Atom. Well for bandwidth limited
    multimedia benchmarks that's not that hard to do considering the 32bit bus on the Tegra 3 versus the 64bit
    bus on the Z2760, Apple uses 128 bit buses and Samsung's Exynos 5450 will have a 128 bit bus as well I guess.
    Most of the other new SOC's use 64 bit buses.

Hans
    Doesn't matter either. The only cpus currently supported by WinRT are tegra3, krait and something old from TI.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    as Usual, Hans forget to say that the benchmark is open source, and he failed to find anything wrong with it ... (This is call FUD technic)

And then, well, Hans, please disclose your interest into this please? like, who is employing you etc ...

At least, I am open on my agenda, and don't hide who is my employer.
    Last edited by Drwho?; 11-07-2012 at 09:35 PM.
    DrWho, The last of the time lords, setting up the Clock.

Xtreme Member
    Someone was worried about how fast Atom can load web pages in Win8 - so it's pretty much fast (faster than tegra3 in IE and a lot faster when using desktop chrome)

The ARM Chromebook is twice as fast in Browsermark as this Clovertrail based system.

217,031 Chrome, dual core 1.7GHz A15 Exynos
    101,644 MS IE10, dual core 1,8GHz Atom, Clovertrail

http://hothardware.com/Reviews/Intel...review/?page=3

They simply don't intent to compete against the $250 Chromebook considering
    the $800 which is asked here for a (20% slower) version using a 1.5GHz Clovertrail.
    Or a similar Clovertrail system from Dell for $829...

So from <$300 Atom based netbooks we are now going to $800 Atom based systems
    We'll see how this all ends...

Hans

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast