Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Danger Den going out of business :-(

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Sad to hear, the couple times I did business with them was a positive experience
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Guru
    I did buisness with them several times, and they did me well. My torture rack is still one of my most prized possessions
    "Lurking" Since 1977

Jesus Saves, God Backs-Up
    *I come to the news section to ban people, not read complaints.*-[XC]Gomeler
    Don't believe Squish, his hardware does control him!

I am Xtreme-ly Unemployed
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    i still get abit sad when i go by the international trade zone now that your shop is not there.
    You're not the only one who misses the way things used to be...

Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    i am just glad that we still SVC for a local shop as without them we have nothing as even micro center closed out here.
    Hah, those guys... ah, the stories that Quoc and I could tell about them (we both worked there for a while before we started PTS--it's actually where the two of us met). My guess is that what's keeping them afloat is their Northern California Cooler Master distributorship (assuming it hasn't been pulled) and possibly some business loans... and that's just a guess because I don't have anyone to get information from within SVC. You see, Shervin and Rodney (the owners) weren't exactly thrilled about Quoc and I leaving to start our own company

Anyway, back on topic, I'm very interested in what Danger Den's departure from the industry will do both in the short and long term. In the short term, I could see some supply issues for US resellers since DD was the main US distributor for HW Labs, Jingway, many stores still purchased Laing pumps from them (the pricing was somewhat comparable to Swiftech), many purchased Tygon and other tubing from them (their pricing wasn't terrible...better than most local Tygon distributors...though, there is another store that actually has an account with Saint Gobain Performance Plastics), many purchased misc. fittings and stuff from them (why people didn't just go directly through Eldon James for that stuff...I have no idea), and the list goes on...

Danger Den, Swiftech, and Frozen (hi Mark, lol) made up the majority of the water cooling supply chain for a lot of stores in the USA. I'm left wondering if off-shore suppliers like HW Labs were given some prior warning/opportunity to set up trade deals with other companies.
    I'm doing science and I'm still alive...

Xtreme Addict
    I don't think there was much of a warning, Boxgods was posting about new reservoir variations in the WC section as recently as 30th october...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    With intels new CPU's being so cool and the gains from water so minimal I've often questioned the need for my WC gear. Furthermore my water cooled videocards don't really offer anything and often lack the features of say an MSI lightning. I've been water cooling for bling lately and largely out of habit.
    AMD Phenom II BE, ASUS Crosshair II formula, 8gb ddr2 800, 470 SLI, PC P&C 750, arcera RAID, 4x OCZ Vertex2, 2x samsung 7200 1tb, HT Omega Clario +

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by naokaji View Post
    I don't think there was much of a warning, Boxgods was posting about new reservoir variations in the WC section as recently as 30th october...
    Boxgods doesn't work for Danger Den. Monsoon is its own company. They just partnered w/ Danger Den to produce their first reservoir.

I had a mixed experience with them. I was denied warranty service for the stupidest of reasons until the head guy over there set things straight (thanks to DarthBeavis on getting me in contact with him). Sad to see them go. Looking at their page it definitely looks sudden since not that long ago they released some new stuff.
    The Cardboard Master
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by jaafaman View Post
    Oh man, that's really sad
    The Cardboard Master
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

I am Xtreme-ly Unemployed
    Dennis' wife...

Honestly, knowing this makes me feel bad for being so quick to jump into industry/business analysis stuff...
    I'm doing science and I'm still alive...

Xtreme Member
    Makes sense why the sudden departure in the industry. Loosing one's spouse and bookkeeper all in-one is a big lose overall for the business and a loved one.

Sad to see both go.
    Support Your Local Sheriff - At high noon

My Heatware http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=63611

The pump Maverick, BMaverick ... has a massive hoard of a Laing DDC pump stash

Xtreme Member
    It's sad to see them go but at the same time the last time I bought from them was two years ago (Two SR-1 Radiators and their DD Res). To me they just weren't as good as the stuff I could get locally as I'm in England and shipping from them was expensive and even more so with import duty. So yeah sad to see them go but at the same time they weren't competitive enough for my needs as I could get everything they offered locally.

Also that GPU block they made a while back for the GTX 590 that looked like a male penis (Pic) definitely didn't help them. Their GPU blocks have looked second rate for a long long time compared to Koolance, EK, Swiftech and so on.
    Last edited by Vicey; 11-02-2012 at 09:42 PM.

Xtreme Member
    They made the decision to close shop before Dennis's wife past away. It just added to the sad news that Danger Den is closing shop.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by crash5s View Post
    With intels new CPU's being so cool and the gains from water so minimal I've often questioned the need for my WC gear. Furthermore my water cooled videocards don't really offer anything and often lack the features of say an MSI lightning. I've been water cooling for bling lately and largely out of habit.
    This is the bottom line.

Air coolers got a lot better, intel cpu's got a lot cooler. Then there's the rise of the "all in one" coolers like the Corsair H70 I use on my 990X.

I never did the water cooling on video cards, used to change them so often it would have been a part time job with big expense to do it.

With the last four years of recession, my guess is water blocks are low on people's priority list. Another sad sign of the times we live in.
    Intel 990x/Corsair H80 /Asus Rampage III
    Coolermaster HAF932 case
    Patriot 3 X 2GB
    EVGA GTX Titan SC
    Dell 3008

Quote Originally Posted by Elmy View Post
    They made the decision to close shop before Dennis's wife past away. It just added to the sad news that Danger Den is closing shop.
    She died on the 27th, the announcement that they were closing was made on the 31st, 4 days later. I'm pretty sure it's painfully obvious the reasoning they up and closed the doors without anything as much as a whisper of it happening before hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon2ky
    "dammit kyle what's with the 30 second sex lately?" "Sorry sweetie, I overclocked my nuts and they haven't been stable since"
    Quote Originally Posted by trinibwoy View Post
    I don't think his backside has internet access.
    Quote Originally Posted by n00b 0f l337 View Post
    Hey I just met you
    And this is crazy
    But I'm on bath salts
    And your face looks tasty

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by DilTech View Post
    She died on the 27th, the announcement that they were closing was made on the 31st, 4 days later. I'm pretty sure it's painfully obvious the reasoning they up and closed the doors without anything as much as a whisper of it happening before hand.
    If my wife died I would retire if I could afford it. Wouldn't want to go into work while my world was torn apart. Best wishes and my condolences to Dennis.
    Intel 990x/Corsair H80 /Asus Rampage III
    Coolermaster HAF932 case
    Patriot 3 X 2GB
    EVGA GTX Titan SC
    Dell 3008

Xtreme Addict
    I really feel for Dennis. That is very sad. He once was nice enough to do some laser etching for me at no charge whatsoever. I hope he does well in whatever he decides to do next, and wish him condolences at the loss of his wife.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by voigts View Post
    I really feel for Dennis. That is very sad. He once was nice enough to do some laser etching for me at no charge whatsoever. I hope he does well in whatever he decides to do next, and wish him condolences at the loss of his wife.
    Very simply +1, I will miss DD.Sincere condolences to Dennis on his sad loss.

Mark
    CPU: Core I7 920 DO
    Mainboard: Giga-Byte X58a-UD7
    Ram: 6GB Corsair Dominator TR3X6G1600C8D
    Video Card: ATI Radeon HD5870 vapourx
    PSU: Silverstone DA850
    Storage: Intel X25 M G2 80GB x 2 Raid 0
    Seagate 750+500 drives for storage

-150c Club Member
    My sincerest condolences, I met Jeremy and the gang from DD once a while back when they were in NJ. They were a great group, we had a hilarious dinner of crazy ideas and where we thought it was all going. And on occasion they were kind enough to let me at their scrap pile for pennies. They were a great group and they will be missed.

If you have a cooling question or concern feel free to contact me.

Xtreme Member
    Very sad so see DD is gone. I have not water cooled in years, but there was a time that I purchased lots of my water cooling gear from them. The industry has changed a lot since my earlier days of water cooling and volt modding.
    System 1: i5-2500k (4.9 ghz), Thermalright Silver Arrow, Asus P8Z68-V, 8GB Gskill Ripjaw, Sapphire HD7950 OC (1200/1750), 1TB Samsung F3, Crucial M4 128GB & 64GB, Lepa G900-MA, X-FI Titanium, CM Storm Sniper, HP ZR30w + ZR24w
    HTPC: i5-2500k (4.2Ghz), MSI Z68MA-G45, 8GB Gskill Ripjaw, Sapphire HD7850 (1150/1425), Kingston HyperX 240GB, 1TB Samsung F3, Ceton InfiniTV 4, XFX Black 650w, Denon AVR-1910, Silverstone GD04B, Panasonic 55" ST30
    WHS: Athlon II X3 435, MSI 785GTM-E45, 4GB OCZ Gold, 2x1.5TB Samsung F2, 2TB Samsung F4, 1TB Hitachi, CoolerMaster 341Elite, Antec Neo-Eco 520w

I am Xtreme
    My condolences to Dennis as well as the rest of the DD crew. The decision to close may have been made before her death, but probably not until years end, her death may have hastened that plan.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Xtreme Addict
    Sadface
    Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    I am magical.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n00b 0f l337 View Post
    My sincerest condolences, I met Jeremy and the gang from DD once a while back when they were in NJ. They were a great group, we had a hilarious dinner of crazy ideas and where we thought it was all going. And on occasion they were kind enough to let me at their scrap pile for pennies. They were a great group and they will be missed.
    That definitely was a great night. Stop talking for 5 minutes and eat your burger... I met Dan and Jeremy a few times after that at CES and always enjoyed talking to them. Sad to see them go...

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Russian View Post
    Sadface
    My thoughts exactly.
    Sad to see the old guard going.
    And my condolences.

I am Xtreme
    Yea that is really sad and makes sense about this sudden closing. I guess he wanted to start new, and danger den probably didn't offer up that much profit.

The issues is for one, i bought my blocks from them, but the issue is I never had to buy new blocks, only new tops for the blocks! lol, I means watercooling stuff doesn't break as easily as other things, so I guess keeping return customers is hard unless someone is addicted.

Couple that with the fact that all these AIO watercooling units aren't that bad and are very easy to use and pretty cheap, someone is going to get displaced.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast