Thread: ASUS RT-N12/B1 Router - $20 @ Amazon.com (refurbished)

Xtreme 3D Team

ASUS RT-N12/B1 Router - $20 @ Amazon.com (refurbished)

Those in the US - this is a great deal:
    http://www.amazon.com/RT-N12-Wireles...eywords=RT-N12

Full 300 Mbps 802.11n Wireless Router, 300 MHz Broadcom CPU, 5dbi antennas, DD-WRT / Tomato compatible.

I just picked one up myself to replace my aging/****ty WRT54G2, plan to flash DD-WRT since I'm used to Linksys firmware.
    Last edited by BeepBeep2; 10-31-2012 at 08:22 PM.
    Smile

Xtreme 3D Team
    Looks like these are $35 now, no reason to buy one when the new ones are $40.

Regardless I'd like to share my experience with it:
    I picked up one of these from Amazon a few weeks ago for $20 refurbished...had an issue with the first one (I bricked it, vanilla NVRAM reset through Broadcom web utility) but after $4.97 to USPS and 2 weeks ASUS sent me another.

I've flashed it with DD-WRT v24-sp2 (04/07/12) NEWD-2 mini build 19846M (initial flash was 17990) without a hitch.
    So far it is holding 216-300 Mbps link for my Wireless N clients and 36-54 Mbps link for my Wireless G clients on N/G mixed mode.

I have extremely decent range/signal strength, at one meter my HTC Amaze shows an SNR of 50-58 dB, and devices across the whole length of the house showing at worst 20 dB to 30dB and holding decent speeds.

I was in pretty dire need of an upgrade, having a Linksys WRT54G2 v1 before. My other router was horrible in a lot of ways, link rates would only hold from 5.5 to 24 Mbps even up close or I couldn't connect, plus TX Power above 40mW gave a lot of errors and my signal strength was very poor, in some areas of the house I was unable to connect.

Here are my most optimal settings so far and may or may not apply to/help you: (Unlisted assume default)
    Basic-
    Wireless Mode: AP (this means your router hosts the internet)
    Wireless Network Mode: NG-Mixed (contrary to popular belief, NG-Mixed is not slower than N-Only, use if you have any G devices)
    Wireless Channel: 6
    Channel Width: 40 MHz
    Extension Channel: Lower
    ACK Timing: 0

Advanced-
    Basic Rate: All
    MIMO Transmission Rate: Auto
    Transmission Rate: Auto (for 802.11g clients)
    CTS Protection Mode: Disabled
    Frame Burst: Enabled
    Beacon Interval: 80 (down from 100, to help avoid connection drops)
    DTIM Interval: 1
    Fragmentation/RTS Threshold: Default
    Max Associated Clients: 20 (I don't need 128 clients)
    AP Isolation: Disable
    TX/RX Antenna: Auto
    Preamble: Short
    Shortslot override: Short
    TX Power: 20
    Afterburner: Disable (This can help boost speed with Wireless G when enabled, but unfortunately will lock N clients to 54 Mbps for some reason...do NOT Enable it)
    WMM Support: Enable, (Default)
    Smile