Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1118192021222324 LastLast

Thread: Figuring out G.Skill's SNs

hi
    ripjaw 1600-4GBRM 7-8-7-24 with serial 10111040 and 10171040 (2 kits 2x2gb) with the production weeks is possible to know if they are psc X or T ?
    thanks for any help

Xtreme Enthusiast
    You can never be sure, but you have a nearly 100% chance of both kits being X-PSC, afaik GSkill starting using T around midth of year 2010, and even afterwards there were lots of kits that used X

I guess both kits have a high chance of PSC X-series, though I'd probably go for the earlier kit ( 1011 ) to be safe. Do you own the kits already?

Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post
    You can never have enough D9's.

no
    have them in a auction site in my country
    there are 3 but they are not cheap, thats why i asked, i have allready bought enough t?s :-)
    thanks for your help
    will try to get them

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Got a question for you guys...

I just noticed today for the first time (I'm slower than most ) that not only are there two versions with different timings of the GSkill Trident DDR3-2000 CL9, one being 9-9-9-24 and the other 9-9-9-27, but there are also different variants that have what I refer to as (A) the "single-sided" PCB, which has all of the SMC that are located just above the gold contacts mounted on one side of the PCB, and (B) the normal "double-sided" PCB which has those same SMC split up and mounted on both sides of the PCB.

Here are some pics of what I'm referring to.

Pic of the side with the SMC:

Pic of the label side without any of the SMC:

Pic of a pair of "normal" D/S modules, with the SMC visible on both the front and back sides:

So my main question is whether or not anyone has pulled the spreaders off one of these S/S PCB versions and confirmed that they use the same ICs as the D/S (0640=BBSE)? Typically the modules with S/S PCBs are in fact, single sided modules, but I know that at least some of the 4GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1866 CL9 use this S/S PCB, yet sport memory chips on both sides of the PCB, therefore it could very well be that both PCB styles are using 16 chips of BBSE. A follow up question would be, if both PCB styles use the same 16 BBSE memory chips, whether or not one performs better than the other.

I'm just trying to find out whether or not the Tridents are the same as those Ballistix I mentioned above, or if by chance the S/S version is using a different IC, for example, a single row of the Elpida ICs used in the "ver2.12" Corsair 2x4GB kit which msimax posted about here:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...=1#post5228187

On a side note, I also found similar S/S PCBs being used in a Trident DDR3-1600 CL8 kit with PSC chips. Can't hardly believe that I never noticed this before, but I guess since the release of single-sided 4GB MFR modules, I've been more aware of the single vs double sided module.

Pic of the 1600 CL8 kit (PSC based):

Anybody have any experience with these single-sided PCB modules?
    Last edited by Reefa_Madness; 04-08-2014 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Edit #1 - Added pics , Edit #2 - inserted correct pic
    In memory of Gracie, my sweet, sweet wife and mother of my children. Darling, we will miss you dearly. May you rest in peace (born to this world on March 30, 1976; went to her Heavenly Father on Good Friday, April 22, 2011).

http://animoto.com/play/E0wFhd6tN0nA...ent=challenger

Heat

Xtreme Enthusiast
    These are single sided, afaik G.Skill used BCSE

Xtreme Addict
    Speaking of Tridents:
    single-sided 1GB and dual-sided 2GB modules use 1Gbit ICs - those are BBSE, PSC, Hypers or whatever, depending on spec and SN.
    single-sided 2GB and dual-sided 4GB modules use 2Gbit ICs - I guess those should be BCSE.

Single-sided (SS) and dual-sided (DS) modules do indeed have different SMD arrangement on the PCB.
    As you mentioned, SS have dense SMD arrangement on one side (compared to DS modules) and the second side empty.
    Exclusions do exist, but mostly on old (pre-2010) modules.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thanks for the replies. So then there is definitely some value to noting whether the Trident 2000 kits are single-sided or double-sided.

Just continue to be amazed that I never noticed that there were single-sided versions of the Trident 2000 C9 kits.
    In memory of Gracie, my sweet, sweet wife and mother of my children. Darling, we will miss you dearly. May you rest in peace (born to this world on March 30, 1976; went to her Heavenly Father on Good Friday, April 22, 2011).

Heat

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Referencing these two statements posted above:

Quote Originally Posted by websmile
    These are single sided, afaik G.Skill used BCSE
    Quote Originally Posted by TaPaKaH
    single-sided 2GB and dual-sided 4GB modules use 2Gbit ICs - I guess those should be BCSE.
    Would BCSE be a reasonable guess as to what is being used by Corsair in that Dominator 2x4GB 1866 CL9 ver2.12 kit that msimax was testing at 2600+ (the one I linked above)?

Heat

Xtreme Addict
    Yes, I think so. Elpida's earlier and later 2Gbit ICs that I've seen or tried were much worse than the "typical BCSE" so I can't imagine anything else as a potential candidate for DDR3-2666.

After RMA , my BBSE change to EBSE (xxxx0690xxxx)

Xtreme Addict
    I've never seen EBSE before. How do these clock?

Xtreme Addict
    Crappy Hynix BFR (Ripjaws X 2133 9-11-9), won't do tRCD=11 at 2400

i7 4930K
    32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3-2400C10
    Asus Rampage IV Black Edition
    2x GeForce GTX 780
    Corsair AX1200
    Cooler Master HAF-X
    Dell U3011

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Have two sets I've been trying to bench but I don't have a clue what I'm doing and setting the fsb in bios yields me a locked computer and upon restart I get overclock failed on the first set of 1600mhz @ 1866mhz. I have no clue what to do from this point and my attention span has been burned out with this mess. I've read overclocking guides but everything in each one is way over my head and I don't understand any of it so meh

4x4gb GSkill Ripjaws Z 1600MHZ (0160)
    01xx - Micron
    0140/0160

4X4gb GSkill Ripjaws X 1866MHZ (1800)
    x800 - Elpida
    0800/1800
    3800 MxH-E Hyper

That's where they sit on the charts. I can't get the heat spreaders off to see exactly which chips they have. My thoughts were to keep the lower benching set because I just don't bench for my life. Then flip the other set to make back some money on a combo deal I did on Anandtech with a MIVE and 2600K. I only purchased the combo for the cpu and expected to flip the board easily along with the ram once I got it benched. (Keeping one kit or the other.)

I'm about to just put up one of the kits for sale and call it done because I don't know what I'm doing with memory benching and don't understand it.

Benching my cpu and trying to get it stable over 50x100 pretty much burned me out and today is probably the last cool day we have until fall so yea.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkItZo View Post
    Any worklog of the girl in your avatar?
    HEAT
    EBAY

Project Slumber Parties aka PSP Liquid Cooling Work Log

Can you give us more info about your setup and what you've tried?
    Don't expect too much, both kits aren't known for being overclocking monster.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Don_Dan View Post
    Can you give us more info about your setup and what you've tried?
    Don't expect too much, both kits aren't known for being overclocking monster.
    Well I set everything to a T from this guide other then the ram @ 1866mhz. I'm sure it needed voltage adjustments or something but it would keep cycling after I saved the bios settings and never showing a screen other then black. Until it would lock up and I would have to force shut it down. When I would turn it back on I got the overclock failed message.

As I said I just flat out don't understand the memory overclocking bit because it is way over my head and there is way too much involved in it. I really wanted to find out what they would do though so I can list them at their benched specs for sale. I see people all the time with ram for sale that does this on that and this with these timing's. Which is of course all greek to me but people look for that stuff when they are buying ram. Mainly I don't want to under price some fairly decent ram so I wanted to see what each set would do so I could sell the better performing set. Since I don't regularly overclock. Gaming shows no improvements in overclocking when your running 16gig or ram, 3770k, and 7970. If they did you would have to benchmark the gaming to notice any difference because the naked eye can't.

All I've been playing for the last 2 years is MWO when I'm not gaming I'm mining off my 7970 to fund my next gpu purchase. I have too busy of a life to game all the time. When I do have spare time I like to bench my system (cpu/gpu) in 3dmark. That of which I haven't had a chance to do yet with this build. (I've had this 3770k and 7970 for over a year if that shows you how much tinkering time I have) So you could imagine my frustration with spending most of the day (6am-2pm) benching my cpu trying to get over 5.0 to then drop into unknown territory of memory overclocking and not having anything I read be retained.

I can no longer read books and haven't been able to for at least 15 years. Once I get 5-6 pages in the first 1-2 pages I read are like an afterthought to me. It's very frustrating. So to read about what 50 different settings do but only know partially what the last couple do um yea I should just hang it up and pick which set of heat spreaders looks best in my build and sell the other one. Apples to oranges they would be ran at 1600mhz all the time or 1866mhz. Because I don't feel the need to overclock ram just to game. It would have just been testing purposes only and for future use when I have another cool day and time to actually run 3dmark on my new build.

I would love someone local to come over and explain this crap to me. It may actually make sense then. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by SkItZo View Post
    Any worklog of the girl in your avatar?
    HEAT
    EBAY

Project Slumber Parties aka PSP Liquid Cooling Work Log

Xtreme Addict
    Mystery Elpida IC + G.Skill, Round Two.

I took a chance on a 2014 kit of F3-12800CL6D-4GBPI on eBay, listed as new in the box. I could see the serial from the photos, 14151800, indicating Elpida chips, and they definitely appeared to be double-sided.

I got them in today. Looking under the spreaders initially, I was surprised to see white stripes on the ICs. Heated them and pulled the spreaders off.

They're definitely 1Gbit xxSE chips, and looking at the code, the key letter is "B". These are either BBSE or EBSE. No idea how in the world such ICs are showing up on 2014 kits (I assume this was an RMA replacement for the original owner similar to ihog6hog's post above).
    i7 4930K
    2x GeForce GTX 780
    Corsair AX1200
    Cooler Master HAF-X
    Dell U3011

Xtreme Addict
    What is more interesting is that these xBSE were apparently made (or at least labeled) at week1105, more than a year after production of BBSE has supposedly stopped.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiranui Gen-An View Post

I took a chance on a 2014 kit of F3-12800CL6D-4GBPI on eBay, listed as new in the box. I could see the serial from the photos, 14151800, indicating Elpida chips, and they definitely appeared to be double-sided.
    *snip*
    I got them in today. Looking under the spreaders initially, I was surprised to see white stripes on the ICs. Heated them and pulled the spreaders off.
    *snip*
    They're definitely 1Gbit xxSE chips, and looking at the code, the key letter is "B". These are either BBSE or EBSE. No idea how in the world such ICs are showing up on 2014 kits (I assume this was an RMA replacement for the original owner similar to ihog6hog's post above).
    How exciting. Please make a thorough test of them
    Overclocking, it's a lifestyle

Quote Originally Posted by Shiranui Gen-An View Post

Nice find, did you try them yet?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Don_Dan View Post
    Nice find, did you try them yet?
    Starting slow to see what they can do. Basic 2133 8-9-7-24-1T testing right now. Looks like they need 1.70v.

i7 4930K
    2x GeForce GTX 780
    Corsair AX1200
    Cooler Master HAF-X
    Dell U3011

Not bad, what about 2133 7-9-7 and higher clocks?

Quote Originally Posted by scgt1 View Post
    Well I set everything to a T from this guide other then the ram @ 1866mhz. I'm sure it needed voltage adjustments or something but it would keep cycling after I saved the bios settings and never showing a screen other then black. Until it would lock up and I would have to force shut it down. When I would turn it back on I got the overclock failed message.

As I said I just flat out don't understand the memory overclocking bit because it is way over my head and there is way too much involved in it. I really wanted to find out what they would do though so I can list them at their benched specs for sale. I see people all the time with ram for sale that does this on that and this with these timing's. Which is of course all greek to me but people look for that stuff when they are buying ram. Mainly I don't want to under price some fairly decent ram so I wanted to see what each set would do so I could sell the better performing set. Since I don't regularly overclock. Gaming shows no improvements in overclocking when your running 16gig or ram, 3770k, and 7970. If they did you would have to benchmark the gaming to notice any difference because the naked eye can't.

All I've been playing for the last 2 years is MWO when I'm not gaming I'm mining off my 7970 to fund my next gpu purchase. I have too busy of a life to game all the time. When I do have spare time I like to bench my system (cpu/gpu) in 3dmark. That of which I haven't had a chance to do yet with this build. (I've had this 3770k and 7970 for over a year if that shows you how much tinkering time I have) So you could imagine my frustration with spending most of the day (6am-2pm) benching my cpu trying to get over 5.0 to then drop into unknown territory of memory overclocking and not having anything I read be retained.

I can no longer read books and haven't been able to for at least 15 years. Once I get 5-6 pages in the first 1-2 pages I read are like an afterthought to me. It's very frustrating. So to read about what 50 different settings do but only know partially what the last couple do um yea I should just hang it up and pick which set of heat spreaders looks best in my build and sell the other one. Apples to oranges they would be ran at 1600mhz all the time or 1866mhz. Because I don't feel the need to overclock ram just to game. It would have just been testing purposes only and for future use when I have another cool day and time to actually run 3dmark on my new build.

I would love someone local to come over and explain this crap to me. It may actually make sense then. lol
    As I said, don't expect too much from them, middle class RAM is very tighly binned today. For starters just set 1.65V Vdimm and 11-11-11-30 timings and try which divider you can boot.
    Or just keep the higher spec'd kit and sell the other one.
    Last edited by Don_Dan; 04-22-2014 at 12:17 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Both of these kits guaranteed to be Samsung right? What exact ICs would I expect? Wanted to get both kits but was late on the draw and could only get one.
    Heatware
    filmbot

Xtreme Addict
    I think both will have the same 4Gbit revision B Samsungs and there won't be much in between in terms of overclocking.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by TaPaKaH View Post
    I think both will have the same 4Gbit revision B Samsungs and there won't be much in between in terms of overclocking.
    Figured as much. Only kits relevant for 8gb benching is Corsair Dominators?
    Heatware
    filmbot

Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1118192021222324 LastLast