Thread: Looking for suggestions on buying a dual monitor stand.

Xtreme Addict

Looking for suggestions on buying a dual monitor stand.

So about 30 minutes ago I was minding my own business playing Project CARS and heard a crack, much like the sound when someone tosses a pebble at your bedroom window in the middle of the night. But I'm 33 and long past having friends who would do this. So to be on the safe side, I retrieve my trusty model 1911 Springfield TRP .45 ACP, put on some shoes, and go looking for the source of this 3:30am mystery noise.
    10 min later I return with zero suspicious activity on my block, and settle back in for a little more racing. As I was getting in my chair, I immediately notice something out of place, I have two 24" Dell Ultrasharp LCD screens hooked up to my desktop PC and the screen on the right is angled downward.
    Upon further inspection, it seems that the crack I heard was from the hinge that connects the screen with the stand

So now down to the question at hand. My Dell Ultrasharp 2407wfp needs either a new stand/hinge or to purchase a dual monitor stand. Unfortunately I know less than zero about such stands, and I'd like some suggestions on brands, models, etc. One thing I noticed after looking at a few models is some don't have height adjustment, and are typically the cheap ones @~$60. Also, it seems some of the models have a capability to later add a third screen. Depending on cost, I'd definitely consider spending extra for that feature since I'd love to get another Ultrasharp U2410 but considering the still hefty ~$500 price tag, I may just pick up a used 2407wfp since they go for less than half that price.

This one on Amazon seems to be decent, but no third screen option.

This is the super popular one on amazon, but i'm not sure if I want to clamp it to my desk.

"If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no resource left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government"
    -- Alexander Hamilton

Xtreme Member
    So I bought an Easy Mount LCD dual monitor stand from Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/Standing-Horiz...+monitor+stand

So far I've been very impressed with how sturdy it is. I have had two 23" Acer's on it for 8 months with no problems. It's of all metal construction, and not cheapo stuff either, good solid steel. The stand has a mounting ring for both arms that can be adjusted for height on the stand/pole. The base is very solid metal. The arms are articulating and can be moved in a wide arc. And the arm mounts are drilled for both VESA standards. Plus it comes with both allen wrenches needed for assembling the stand. Though you still need a screwdriver for the VESA mounting. The only downside to this is that the base is 10-12 inches in length end to end. So it does take up some desk real estate.

You could also try their 3 monitor stand:
    http://www.amazon.com/Deluxe-Triple-...f=pd_sim_pc_14

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew LB View Post
    So about 30 minutes ago I was minding my own business playing Project CARS and heard a crack, much like the sound when someone tosses a pebble at your bedroom window in the middle of the night. But I'm 33 and long past having friends who would do this. So to be on the safe side, I retrieve my trusty model 1911 Springfield TRP .45 ACP, put on some shoes, and go looking for the source of this 3:30am mystery noise.
    10 min later I return with zero suspicious activity on my block, and settle back in for a little more racing. As I was getting in my chair, I immediately notice something out of place, I have two 24" Dell Ultrasharp LCD screens hooked up to my desktop PC and the screen on the right is angled downward.
    Upon further inspection, it seems that the crack I heard was from the hinge that connects the screen with the stand

So now down to the question at hand. My Dell Ultrasharp 2407wfp needs either a new stand/hinge or to purchase a dual monitor stand. Unfortunately I know less than zero about such stands, and I'd like some suggestions on brands, models, etc. One thing I noticed after looking at a few models is some don't have height adjustment, and are typically the cheap ones @~$60. Also, it seems some of the models have a capability to later add a third screen. Depending on cost, I'd definitely consider spending extra for that feature since I'd love to get another Ultrasharp U2410 but considering the still hefty ~$500 price tag, I may just pick up a used 2407wfp since they go for less than half that price.

This one on Amazon seems to be decent, but no third screen option.

This is the super popular one on amazon, but i'm not sure if I want to clamp it to my desk.
    Desktop rigs:
    Oysterhead- Intel i5-2320 CPU@3.0Ghz, Zalman 9500AT2, 8Gb Patriot 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM, 120Gb Kingston V200+ SSD, 1Tb Seagate HD, Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit, LG 330W PSU

Flying Frog Brigade-Intel Xeon W3520@2.66Ghz, 6Gb Hynix 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM, 640Gb Hitachi HD, 512Mb GDDR5 AMD HD4870, Mac OSX 10.6.8/Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon dual boot

Laptop:
    Colonel Claypool-Intel T6600 Core 2 Duo, 4Gb 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM, 1Gb GDDR3 Nvidia 230M,240Gb Edge SATA6 SSD, Windows 7 Home 64 bit

Xtreme Addict
    So far this looks to be the direction i'm going. I am liking how much it frees up the desk compared to the non-clamp on type.

"If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no resource left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government"
    -- Alexander Hamilton