Thread: To everyone on the U.S. Eastern Seabord, families & friends

Wanna look under my kilt?

To everyone on the U.S. Eastern Seabord, families & friends

The news has just talked about how big and serious Sandy is looking.

I hope everyone is safe and out of harms way..... I hope that somehow it shifts and avoids land altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

XIP
    NYC public transp. and subway sytem will be shutdown @ 7pm est. tonite. Monday all school will be closed and all flights will be cancelled in and out NYC major airports

Xtreme 3D Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumo View Post
    NYC public transp. and subway sytem will be shutdown @ 7pm est. tonite. Monday all school will be closed and all flights will be cancelled in and out NYC major airports
    Wow, that's crazy Dumo.
    Keep us all posted on how you're doing, it looks bad.

We will get it here too but we are far inland, not nearly the impact, minor chance of power outages...just a bad rainstorm headed here.
    Smile

I like large posteriors and I cannot prevaricate

Xtreme Member
    We've been getting rain off and on since early Sunday morning here in the Philly/South Jersey area. Supposedly the brunt/core of the storm will hit in the afternoon/night time on Monday. Mayor Nutter has already closed down the trains and bus routes. Similarly, PATCO is shut down. Most schools have announced they were closing, even the universities.

We stocked up here Saturday night. Canned food, mlik, cereal, bottled water, candles, fruit, and some sandwich meat. I filled up some containers and pots with water and froze a couple of one gallon freezer bags full of water. The only thing I forgot was booze. So I"m hoping the local beer distributor is open tomorrow....
    Desktop rigs:
    Oysterhead- Intel i5-2320 CPU@3.0Ghz, Zalman 9500AT2, 8Gb Patriot 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM, 120Gb Kingston V200+ SSD, 1Tb Seagate HD, Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit, LG 330W PSU

Flying Frog Brigade-Intel Xeon W3520@2.66Ghz, 6Gb Hynix 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM, 640Gb Hitachi HD, 512Mb GDDR5 AMD HD4870, Mac OSX 10.6.8/Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon dual boot

Laptop:
    Colonel Claypool-Intel T6600 Core 2 Duo, 4Gb 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM, 1Gb GDDR3 Nvidia 230M,240Gb Edge SATA6 SSD, Windows 7 Home 64 bit

Wanna look under my kilt?
    It's not the most important thing, but depending on what/where your shelter is, have some air freshener or scented candles too. Might make things easier if you have to hide for days, not hours.
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by yojimbo197 View Post
    We stocked up here Saturday night. Canned food, mlik, cereal, bottled water, candles, fruit, and some sandwich meat. I filled up some containers and pots with water and froze a couple of one gallon freezer bags full of water. The only thing I forgot was booze. So I"m hoping the local beer distributor is open tomorrow....
    I'm from Florida and we're used to stocking up for storms.

Booze is the first thing that flies off the shelf down here, so you would be out of luck if you were looking for beer on the day of the storm.

Good luck to you guys, hope that the weather doesn't bring lingering consequences.
    In memory of Gracie, my sweet, sweet wife and mother of my children. Darling, we will miss you dearly. May you rest in peace (born to this world on March 30, 1976; went to her Heavenly Father on Good Friday, April 22, 2011).

http://animoto.com/play/E0wFhd6tN0nA...ent=challenger

Heat

Banned
    It looks like the Metro NY/NJ area is where the storm will hit hardest but it can change course at any time. I have family in NY city and other areas of NY state that can be impacted by the storm, so we're all hoping for the best. Flooding and 85 mph sustained winds are the real problem for most people.

Let's hope for the best!

Xtreme 3D Team
    Hopefully people are doing okay...
    I know facebook and twitter have been blowing up, and even here in NE Ohio, we had peak gusts up to 80 MPH for a short bit, and all schools were closed Tuesday.

The internet is extremely slow around here too, I've been using my smartphone's mobile hotspot function to connect my desktop/laptop to the internet today.
    Smile

Banned
    There's over 20 known dead in NYC, 46 total dead at the moment. 80-100 homes burned after they flooded. Firefighters had to wade thru chest high water, climb up building awnings, to rescue trapped people and lower them to a boat. Cars are strew and piled up like leaves... I've never seen such widespread damage in my life. This is believed to be the worse storm in the history of NYC. The pictures are jaw dropping and heart wrenching.

All the best to those who have survived so far. It could be a week or more before electricity is restored to many areas. There is likely to be food and fuel shortages to so things could still get worse.
    Last edited by AMDforME; 10-30-2012 at 08:22 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Just wanted to thank you guys for your comments. I know I don't really know you and participate much here but it's very nice of you.

Nobody expected it to be as bad as it was here in NY. I'm up in Astoria, Queens, which is the "northern" part left of the Laguardia airport. Up here the winds were moderate albeit with some VERY strong gusts of wind. During those gusts my apartment, which is on the second floor with three sides free, shook like a giant had planted his foot outside. Very little rain too and other than a bit of discomfort and my internet going out on Tuesday morning I expected very little damage.

My father called me from abroad asking me if I was ok and at that point I knew nothing of the ramifications of this storm. I wasn't until I got internet back that I got the full view (I don't have a TV).

My boss lives in the East Village and they never expected anything to happen. He walk out of his quiet apartment when he heard yelling outside and saw the water come in. It was at a moderate pace, but relentless and increasing in depth. His sub-basement apartment got flooded so he took his wife, kid and clothes and fled. This was after the power station exploded only about 7 blocks away from him!

I work in the entertainment industry doing a lot of work for TV and my boss' studio is on 23rd street in midtown. No power. Not only that but the only access to it is via an elevator, so, no access period. This meant we had to scramble to produce audio for shows that are airing this Saturday. The deadline is extremely tight. For a city that has suffered the closing of two of the worlds biggest music studios (Hit Factory & Sony) and numerous big post-production houses (one just two weeks ago) this is a financial disaster for the entertainment industry.

At least I came away unscathed physically and have all my property intact. Due to a shutdown of essential services however I will most likely suffer greatly legally because of this. I won't go into details but it already lost me a complete night's worth of sleep.

It ain't pretty.

Then again, life could be much worse. There are places on this planet where they'd gladly trade a month of this for what we have the rest of the year.

Again, thanks for your well wishes!
    Win XP Pro x64 / Win 7 x64 / Phenom II / Asus m3a79-t Deluxe / 8x2 GB GSkill and some other stuff.....

Banned
    Hurricane Sandy inflicted incomprehensible damage and loss of life. The aftermath will be tough also.

Aussie God
    Hope the more poor places will manage, I'd imagine with Cuba's poor infrastructure, it will cause a lot of harm....
    But ofc. it must suck to be in the areas that were hit in US too, hope everyone is ok!
    Competition ranking;
    2005; Netbyte, Karise/Denmark #1 @ PiFast
    2008; AOCM II, Minfeld/Germany #2 @ 01SE/AM3/8M (w. Oliver)
    2009; AMD-OC, Viborg/Denmark #2 @ max freq Gigabyte TweaKING, Paris/France #4 @ 32M/01SE (w. Vanovich)
    2010: Gigabyte P55, Hamburg/Germany #6 @ wprime 1024/SPI 1M (w. THC) AOCM III, Minfeld/Germany #6 @ 01SE/AM3/1M/8M (w. NeoForce)

Spectating;
    2010; GOOC 2010 Many thanks to Gigabyte!

Royal Administrator
    I am located in Brooklyn, and my area was, thankfully, not much affected by Hurricane Sandy as I don't live near water. However, it saddens me that a broken tree, a few blocks away from my house, killed two college kids. NYC Mayor Bloomberg said at least 37 people in NYC were killed.

Banned
    The carnage is beyond words... The pictures are are hard to even view.