Thread: Manic's latest Acrylic Project

I am Xtreme

Manic's latest Acrylic Project

Goal:
    I carry my PC around quite often and have made a few different builds of PCs in Briefcases. However those were larger and heaver than what I needed. I spent nearly a year designing the case for specific pieces while still trying to keep it in standards for if I needed to swap things out. The build had to be compact, lighter, and look good.

Features:
    Very Compact Size. Overall dimensions are 9.5" x 11" x 18.5". Its actual size is nearly the same as the Silverstone FT03, except mine includes a rather large radiator. Siting next to a typical mid tower it looks half the size.

Can Sit or Stand. There are case feet on the bottom and the side, allowing the case to be laid down to sit up

Handles for Travel. Easily removed carrying handles for quick travel when needed.

Lightweight. Total weight for PC is under 30lbs

Silent. A few GT AP-15s at low speed and low speed pump make the PC about as close to inaudible as possible.

Cool. The triple 120mm radiator is more than enough to keep an OCed 2500k and GTX-680 and the Motherboard, all cooler than a decent Heatsink could at these noise levels.

Any GPU. Enough room for Graphics Cards up to 13" in either slot.

Key Started. Uses a Momentary Key Switch to start the PC. Honestly this purchase was by random luck. Only $11 for this compared to nearly $20 for a LED Momentary Switch that is not nearly as awesome.

Hot Swap. Can hold two 2.5" Hard Drives with easy removal.

Looks Good. Don't you agree?

Hardware:
    Maxiums IV Gene
    2x 1866 CL-9 4GB Corsair Sniper
    Zotac GTX-680
    128GB Crucial C300
    500GB Segate Momentus XT
    650W Seasonic Gold Rated PSU

Water Cooling:
    Swiftech Apogee Low Profile CPU Block
    Swiftech MCR-320 Drive Radiator w/ PWM MCP35X Pump
    EK GeForce 680 GTX Block - Acetal+EN (Nickel)
    EK-MOSFET Max IV Gene Block - Acetal+EN (Nickel)
    Gentle Typhoon AP-15 1800rpm Fans
    PrimoFlex Pro LRT UV Red Tubing - 3/8in ID x 5/8in OD
    Enzotech G1/4" Thread 90-Degree Rotary Barb Fitting - 3/8" ID Matte Black
    Enzotech G1/4" Thread Barb Fitting - 3/8" - Matte Black
    Koolance Hose Clamp 16mm

Other PC Parts:
    I/O Shield for Danger Den or Custom Cases - 7 Slot
    Manhattan SATA Drive Rack Dual Drive, L-type, Internal, 2.5"
    Bitspower Mesh Radguard 360 - Black Aluminum
    2x Lian Li Case Feet - SD-01B 4pack - Black
    NZXT Premium Sleeved Bright LED Kit - 2 Meter - Red

McMaster-Carr Build Parts:
    Key Switch - Momentary - Screw Terminal
    Plastic-head Thumb Screw With Socket Drive, 6-32 Thread, 13/32" Length
    Scratch-resistant Clear Cast Acrylic Sheet, 7/32" - Black and Clear

End Results:
    Some nice DSLR Images

My brother was in town and brought his Nikon D60. So we picked up a tripod and remote to get the best image accuracy. Built a photo-tent about 3ft wide and deep and almost 4ft tall. And had some fun. After that weekend I was almost ready to drop nearly a grand on a nice camera myself.

Playing with different Exposure times on the camera. The first I think is about 2 seconds, the last is about 30 seconds, all with the ISO as low as it could handle.

Last edited by Manicdan; 10-30-2012 at 09:57 AM.
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

Xtreme Member
    Amazing my friend! I would have use High Speed GT's and PWM wire-them so everything go smoother...

I am Xtreme
    Part 1: Renderings through Google Sketchup

This is to show that the fins on the Rad are shaped like the real ones. I found too many examples that just used a fake texture, and the method of repeating a Component in Sketchup means it only took 5 minutes to go from crap to perfect.

Last edited by Manicdan; 10-30-2012 at 06:40 AM.

I am Xtreme
    Part 2: The Stuff and Prep.

All the parts I had at the time. Some of the stuff was already in use on my machine, some of it was new for this build.

The PC while i was working on the case. Those with good eyesight might notice the paper towel behind the GPU. Yes there was a leak due to a rotary fitting. Found out theres 2 sets of threads, when one is loose it lets the rotary spin easier, but prone to leaking.

My workshop, lol. Yes this whole thing was done with:
    1. Table Saw with a very nice plastic cutting blade
    2. Drill Press
    3. Miter Saw
    4. And some hand tools

Last edited by Manicdan; 10-30-2012 at 07:34 AM.

I am Xtreme
    Part 3: Clinch Nuts:

These were a new idea I saw from another build here on XS and loved the idea. You can see what they look like in the top left corner of the next image. In my time of working with acrylic the methods of holding them together were always annoying. I use to use machine screws and nuts. However they would constantly loosen from vibration. Even if I added in washers it was a total pain. Then i switched to flush mounted black oxide machine screws with black oxide nuts that had nylon cores. Those were great at giving a nice solid grip that never came undone. Although they did have some depth issues and I needed to use two tools to take them out, one for the bolt side and one for the nut side.

So then I see Clinch nuts, and these little guys basically give threads to the material you push them into. Similar to Set Screws, which I've used in the past as well, except with forces designed to work in the opposite direction. (I can go into more detail if people care)

But there's a problem even with Clinch Nuts, I don't have a giant Arbor Press. But thanks to physics I found a solution.

After drilling the holes of the right size I used a cheap machine screw and a bunch of washes on one side, and the nut on the other side. Then I simply used a flat-head screwdriver and twisted until it was hand tight.

To get them really tight though I needed extra leverage. Thus I locked down the screwdriver and rotated the material. Because most beams were 6-11" long, it was plenty of force to pull the nut into place with the same leverage I would get from a 1 or 2 ton Arbor Press

Sadly there were many casualties of the machine screws. Although not a single thread was damaged for the Clinch Nuts. I guess that goes to show the difference between good and crappy material.

The end result looks nice and functions very well. Combine these with my thumbscrews, I have no problems with screws coming loose, and I no longer have to hold down the nut as I remove screws. It really worked out nicely. (Wait until you see them painted)
    Last edited by Manicdan; 10-30-2012 at 08:07 AM.

I am Xtreme
    Part 4: Solvent Welding:

This was something I learned from seeing other builds and thought it would be perfect for creating a strong a light case. The scary part is always transparency and any form of bonding, so that's why the black acrylic gets bonded, and the clear acrylic still uses aluminum beams and thumb screws. Some of the pictures really show how lovely the glossy black color really is.

So the basic thing is you apply this liquid right along the edge and hopefully if the angle and pressure are right it sucks it up. after a few minutes you now have once solid piece. The needle you see is to help apply the liquid, which is less viscous than you can imagine. Even if I point the needle downward just a little, it pours right out.

This image does a great job showing how good the black acrylic looks. Reflecting off reflections!

Last edited by Manicdan; 10-30-2012 at 08:32 AM.

I am Xtreme
    Part 5: Building and Assembly
    Just a bunch of photos of cutting and bolting it all together

Aluminum shards are the worst cause they fly all over the place and can cause some nice splinters.

The final result! This is also the only post showing the handles. They are carabiners, some chain on the inside that is almost exactly 3/8" across, and its wrapped in black 3/8-5/8th tubing for a nice soft grip.
    Last edited by Manicdan; 10-30-2012 at 09:12 AM.

World Champion - IRONMODS
    Excellent project Manic, I love the results....now just get another GPU in there
    Quote Originally Posted by Massman
    My definition of 'efficient' is 'it does not suck monkeyballs'. Yes, I set bars low.
    [CENTER]The post counter is not an intelligence meter!

MAX11L - "It's like a console...with the suck turned down and the awesome turned up" -tet5uo
    Heat Team IRONMODS

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by miahallen View Post
    Excellent project Manic, I love the results....now just get another GPU in there
    sure, no problem, as long as someone donates 650$. although this thing is more than fast enough for my 1920x1200 monitor. and ive never been too much of a fan of sli/xfire.

theres also room for another radiator too. the exhaust fan is placed so that i can add a second one above it and fit a 120x2 rad near the gpus

Xtreme Addict
    I can't believe I just learnt about this thread.
    Dude your case is awesome!!!
    Congratulations, awesome job and skills