Thread: Windows 8 - enterprise information for the sysadmins out there...

World Champion - IRONMODS

Windows 8 - enterprise information for the sysadmins out there...

Thought this might be informative for many others out there

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart Behymer, Sr. Technical Account Manager, Microsoft Corporation – Public Sector Services UC
    Windows RT (Such as Surface RT devices) = ARM Based Processor Windows 8, Windows 8 Pro, Windows 8 Enterprise (Such as Surface Pro devices) = x86/x64 based Processor

The Surface RT (releasing Friday) will run Windows RT. It will also contain the consumer preview version of Office RT 2013 (Home and Student version). Office RT 2013 will upgrade for FREE to the final version when it is released. Office RT 2013 is a “touch” centric version of office that shares most of the features of the full desktop client, and has Word 2013 RT, Excel 2013 RT, PowerPoint 2013 RT, and OneNote 2013 RT. One BIG thing: There is no Outlook in Office RT. Users of Windows RT/Office RT will use the Windows Mail Modern application. The Surface RT will NOT run existing Windows 7 desktop applications. It will only run “modern” applications from the Windows Store. You will have the ability to create LOB apps for the RT, using the modern design. Windows RT devices can be managed by Windows InTune, or by SCCM 2012. They cannot be joined to the domain, and cannot use Group Policy.

The Surface Pro (releasing approximately January 2013) will run the FULL Windows 8 Enterprise version, and will be capable of running ANY Windows 7 desktop apps, and modern apps as well. In addition it will be able to join domains and be managed like a regular PC.

In addition to Microsoft’s Surface products, partners will be launching many devices as well, both ARM based, and x86 based. Many of the partner RT devices launch the same day, which is on Friday.

This is an exciting time for Microsoft and our customers. Please know that I am here if you have ANY questions about any of our products! I’ll do my best to find you answers to your questions.

Windows RT vs. Windows 8

Windows RT contains many of the same features as Windows 8:
    • Fluid, intuitive, and easy-to-use interface design that you can easily customize.
    • Built in apps like Mail, Calendar, Messaging, Photos, and SkyDrive with many more apps available in the Windows Store.
    • Internet Explorer 10, for fast, intuitive browsing.
    • Touch-enabled so you can interact with Windows in a whole new way.
    • Mouse and keyboard–enabled so you can be as productive as you need to be.

Windows RT also includes some different features:
    • Windows Update and Windows Defender are always on and up to date making your PC more secure.
    • Device encryption provides advanced data protection to help keep your information secure.
    • The PC can turn on instantly with connected standby.
    • Office Home & Student 2013 RT Preview is preinstalled2.

Some features aren't included in Windows RT:
    • Windows Media Player
    • Windows Media Center
    • HomeGroup creation (you can join an existing HomeGroup but you can't create a new one) • Domain join

Although you can install apps directly from the Windows Store, you can't install apps on the desktop on Windows RT. Office Home and Student 2013 RT Preview Edition comes preinstalled2, which provides you with touch-optimized desktop versions of the new Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote.
    Quote Originally Posted by Massman
    My definition of 'efficient' is 'it does not suck monkeyballs'. Yes, I set bars low.
    [CENTER]The post counter is not an intelligence meter!

MAX11L - "It's like a console...with the suck turned down and the awesome turned up" -tet5uo
    Heat Team IRONMODS

it seams strange that the RT devices cannot join a domain but there is supposed to be enterprise managment tools for them with the same features as a domain.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Addict
    ???
    Is this the new embedded compact, aka ce version ?
    Looked up on wiki and it says RT has no meaning.
    Kinda seems to me that it stands for Real Time...

I haven't tried compact yet, not sure it it's any good.
    I just got win 8 emb std release preview, haven't installed it yet.
    I want a copy of CTP2...
    Dismui looks like it's gonna be nice and handy.

On win8 rp x86 right now (transparency/aero).
    Got 4gig+ mem support working with the kernel hack.
    Dpc latency prog was the supposed prob with dpc latency along with this setting I guess:
    bcdedit /set {current} disabledynamictick yes
    Just need the half width taskbar lol and I'de switch..., it's annoying to be held back by one small thing ^^.

I'm also assuming this will have opengl es on it too like emb compact 7 does.
    Last edited by NEOAethyr; 10-28-2012 at 08:45 AM.