Thread: Corsair Obsidian 800D and hard drive cooling

Xtreme Member

Corsair Obsidian 800D and hard drive cooling

Hi all,

I've tried searching for existing coverage of the topic but discussion around this case seems to reduce to either a) water cooling setup expositions or b) why you shouldn't use this case if you want to use air cooling, so my apologies if this is covered elsewhere (please redirect me!)

After too many hours spent reading reviews, I've decided that the 800D offers a good mix of features/looks for my needs. (Erm, actually, I'm still open to suggestions. The primary requirements are (1) support for watercooling (if only just the CPU/GPU) without requiring me to mod anything; (2) good air flow for everything else; and, (3) simple, modern looks.)

I live in a hot and humid area and I'm not allowed to install an air conditioner in my stupid apartment. There's not a lot of space in my room, so the machine has to sit and suffocate under my desk, which is itself backed into a wall in a corner. There's maybe 15cm of clearance on top and around the back of my case, currently. To maintain reasonable system temperatures I need expensive fans and a well designed case. I'm paranoid about component temperature stability after having learnt the hard way. I'm most concerned about my hard drives. I run 15K SAS disks in RAID 0 because they're coo-- awesome, and have an additional 3-4 WD Black drives. Temperature is a problem.

How do you 800D owners cool your drives? How does the stock set up perform in this regard? What kind of temps do you get (relative to room temp)? Can it be improved with better fans?

Is there a better case for my needs?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Growly; 10-25-2012 at 06:38 AM. Reason: Clarification