Thread: Stock AMD FX - 8350 vs Stock Intel i7 3770K

Xtreme Family

Stock AMD FX - 8350 vs Stock Intel i7 3770K

Eight cores is still too many for most applications but anyway there are a good number of heavy threaded programs that use Vishera just fine

FX 8350 8core at 4GHz
    i7 3770K 4C8T at 3.5GHz
    TridentX 2666 at 1866MHz Cl9 9-9-28 1T
    HD6970 DirectCU 890/1375MHz CAT 12.9
    Win 7 ultimate 64bit patched
    no TURBO for both

Benchmarks
    Cinebench R11.5
    Wprime 1024m
    Futuremak 3D11 - Performance
    POV RAY 3.7 RC6

its portuguese

thats it and thx for watching
    Mojo
    Family
    Biostar TP55 XE - Core i7 860(ES) @ 4.2ghz - CNPS10X Extreme - G.SKILL 1600 - Galaxy GTX275 - Velociraptor 300GB x 2 - Zippy TypeR 600w
    Criminal
    Biostar Tpower X58A - 920~Gulf - G.SKILL2000CL8 - GTX580 - Intel 520 120GB - Antec HCP 1200w
    Biostar TP67XE/TZ77XE4 2500k~3770K - G.SKILL 2800 - GTX480 - OCZ Vertex2 50GB - Corsair AX1200
    Biostar Tpower X79 i7 3820 ~ E5 2680 - G.SKILL 2400C11 - GTX560Ti - Intel 520 120GB - AX1200i
    Kids
    P4GD1 - Pentium M 780 - XMS Xpert400 - GTX460 - Raptor 36GB - Aopen 560w

Xtreme Member
    Very interesting...
    Step aside, and you won't have to feel the awesome wrath of my mustache!

I am Xtreme
    Very nice to see them side by side and the Vishera is actually quite a bit closer to the 3770K as i though in multithreaded benches. Thanks for showing man!

Running them at the same frequency will offset Intel by quite a margin i'm afraid.
    Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | FX 8350 | 2x4GB Trident-X 2600 C10 | 2x ATI HD5870 Crossfire | Enermax Revo 1050watt | OCZ Vertex 3 60GB | Samsung F1 1TB

Watercooling: XSPC Raystorm | EK 5870 Delrin fullcover | TFC X-changer 480 w/ 4x Gentle Typhoon | DDC2+ Delrin top | EK 200mm res | Primochill LRT 3/8 tubing

Case: Murdermodded TJ-07

sub 9 sec. SPi1M 940BE 955BE 965BE 1090T

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    Running them at the same frequency will offset Intel by quite a margin i'm afraid.
    Good point.
    Is the 3770 a good clocker?
    Step aside, and you won't have to feel the awesome wrath of my mustache!

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    Very nice to see them side by side and the Vishera is actually quite a bit closer to the 3770K as i though in multithreaded benches. Thanks for showing man!

Yes, but, the chips have different designs. AMD was going for frequency with the FX chips. Intel was not. I still believe AMD was hoping for higher then 4ghz stock.
    ~1~
    AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
    GigaByte X570 AORUS LITE
    Trident-Z 3200 CL14 16GB
    AMD Radeon VII
    ~2~
    AMD Ryzen ThreadRipper 2950x
    Asus Prime X399-A
    GSkill Flare-X 3200mhz, CAS14, 64GB
    AMD RX 5700 XT

I am Xtreme
    I reckon both will top out around 5G or short of that mark for a good sample. Average for 3770K is ~4.8G. Stable that is.
    Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | FX 8350 | 2x4GB Trident-X 2600 C10 | 2x ATI HD5870 Crossfire | Enermax Revo 1050watt | OCZ Vertex 3 60GB | Samsung F1 1TB

Watercooling: XSPC Raystorm | EK 5870 Delrin fullcover | TFC X-changer 480 w/ 4x Gentle Typhoon | DDC2+ Delrin top | EK 200mm res | Primochill LRT 3/8 tubing

Case: Murdermodded TJ-07

sub 9 sec. SPi1M 940BE 955BE 965BE 1090T

Xtreme Member
    Boas

Only one word... Perfeito.

Fica bem.

good job with the comparison!

So resta dar os parabéns

Xtreme Enthusiast
    nice nice video very useless!
    hersounds powered by 121 % overclocking Machine http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=220390 - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1917405

facebook.com/hersounds

Intel Core i5 4670K @ 4,5 Ghz 24/7 - Galaxy HOF GTX 780 - 8 GB Team Group Xtreem 2666 Cas 11 - 8Gb Avexir Core series 2800 Blue Led - Maximus VI Formula Armor TUF - Corsair Force GT 120 GB SATA 3 - Galaxy Hall of fame 1200 hersounds Limited edition Modular - Antec 620 dual fan mod

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    I still think it's not "right" to call the AMD a 8 core..It's a quad by any realistic defination that I can think of.
    AMD has just taken each core and split it into two parts.
    I have no issue with that as they've just chosen a different way to do things but it is a quad not an octo core IMHO
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Hey MM . Yeah I agree but better definition is quasi-8 core :P. It still has 8 integer cores,but it has "only" 4 dual threaded FP "cores" (I put "" since they are not cores per se but co-processors). Anyway I do agree the terminology they used is not the best one,they should have used the term "8 Threaded processor" without mentioning the cores. Strictly speaking it does have 8 cores since integer core is what counts,it just bite them in the back since it competes against intel's 8 threaded and 4 threaded cpus...

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by informal View Post
    Hey MM . Yeah I agree but better definition is quasi-8 core :P. It still has 8 integer cores,but it has "only" 4 dual threaded FP "cores" (I put "" since they are not cores per se but co-processors). Anyway I do agree the terminology they used is not the best one,they should have used the term "8 Threaded processor" without mentioning the cores. Strictly speaking it does have 8 cores since integer core is what counts,it just bite them in the back since it competes against intel's 8 threaded and 4 threaded cpus...
    My logic was based on one simple fact: You can't take any one of the 8 cores and run an app on it..You need two and that answered all my questions.
    Yes, would have been smarter to call it a 8 threaded cpu..That we agree on.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I don't see why you can't run an app on one of the cores? You mean since they share the frontend and fp unit? In that sense the cores are inseparable and that's just a design decision(to save on die area and power). And yeah 8 threaded CPU would be just fine although people would find a way to complain about that too I guess .

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    I don't see why you can't run an app on one of the cores? You mean since they share the frontend and fp unit? In that sense the cores are inseparable and that's just a design decision(to save on die area and power). And yeah 8 threaded CPU would be just fine although people would find a way to complain about that too I guess .
    Go try to run SuperPi on just one core and then you'll understand my thinking on this.
    Can't be done as one core isn't a complete core for lack of a better way of saying it..
    Don't get me wrong, I have no issues at all with what they did, just in what they called it..I think it was misleading and a mistake on AMD's part.
    I came "this" close to saying that when I was sitting in the conference room at AMD with 24 other "journalists" back on August 31, 2011 but since I was an invited guest and not 100% sure yet I shut my mouth and just listened. Should have followed my instincts but again, wasn't 100% sure that day.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I can tell you that you are wrong ,you can run Superpi or any other app on any of the 8 cores . Anyone with Bulldozer can verify this for you . They can choose the affinity and select say the core 0 only for superpi.It will finish the task with no problem. And no, each integer core really is fully independent and can run completely independent workloads from other cores. The only thing "special" with Bulldozer is that it has a shared FP coprocessor which interlieaves threads every 2 cycles between 2 cores. But each core can run any single threaded workload with no problems .

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    I can tell you that you are wrong ,you can run Superpi or any other app on any of the 8 cores . Anyone with Bulldozer can verify this for you . They can choose the affinity and select say the core 0 only for superpi.It will finish the task with no problem. And no, each integer core really is fully independent and can run completely independent workloads from other cores. The only thing "special" with Bulldozer is that it has a shared FP coprocessor which interlieaves threads every 2 cycles between 2 cores. But each core can run any single threaded workload with no problems .
    Then something has changed since the rollout of BD because you couldn't do that at that time.
    IF your right, and I do beleive you then please accept my apologies..

Xtreme Cruncher
    No need to apologize Dave,I've sent you a PM with good analogy hope you like it .

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    No need to apologize Dave,I've sent you a PM with good analogy hope you like it .
    Read it and it makes sense..Muchas gracias senor

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    I still think it's not "right" to call the AMD a 8 core..It's a quad by any realistic defination that I can think of.
    AMD has just taken each core and split it into two parts.
    I have no issue with that as they've just chosen a different way to do things but it is a quad not an octo core IMHO
    :/ then an anything with hyper thread isn't a quad core or dual core. it's a hybrid core.

only in single thread.

My logic was based on one simple fact: You can't take any one of the 8 cores and run an app on it..You need two and that answered all my questions.
    Yes, would have been smarter to call it a 8 threaded cpu..That we agree on.
    My single thread speed suffered when two cores are running in FX with different programs. See example below

I actually tested this they all score the same no matter what affinity 0-7 you set. Only scores less if the one in the module has a different written physical register file

Go try to run SuperPi on just one core and then you'll understand my thinking on this.
    Can't be done as one core isn't a complete core for lack of a better way of saying it..
    Don't get me wrong, I have no issues at all with what they did, just in what they called it..I think it was misleading and a mistake on AMD's part.
    I came "this" close to saying that when I was sitting in the conference room at AMD with 24 other "journalists" back on August 31, 2011 but since I was an invited guest and not 100% sure yet I shut my mouth and just listened. Should have followed my instincts but again, wasn't 100% sure that day.
    superPI is even slower on the Fx8350 then the FX 8150. :|

it's not just inter leaved the front end is slowed down by split work loads and different physical register files. again below

Then something has changed since the rollout of BD because you couldn't do that at that time.
    IF your right, and I do beleive you then please accept my apologies..
    just so you know I did do what you said up their run another program on the other core with in the module and this is the problem/solution for your "not an eight core"

notice the suffered speed red box

normal single thread speed is 0.74-0.76 when it can use the full front end.

split front end 0.58.
    HAVE NO FEAR!
    "AMD fallen angel"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamekiller View Post
    You didn't get the memo? 1 hour 'Fugger time' is equal to 12 hours of regular time.