Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Did AMD Drop Support for Windows XP?

or not man i don't know i'm in konya 42 *** **** is my uhhh i don't know something about car or german thing.

Brilliant Idiot
    Quote Originally Posted by zir_blazer View Post
    I know I shouldn't, but everytime I see people talking about piracy without knowing what they're talking about I lose my temper...
    I do know what i'm talking about and I specified full support ( daily updates ) which can not be had on "stolen" "pirated" "hacked" or whatever you call it win 7.......not for long anyway........

My Xp on other hand was updateable daily with full support and passed all authentication for all updates, including office........and could be used on as many pc's and I wanted.....and free.

My win 7 64 was free to, all I had to do was listen through an hour seminar and pay half cost of a cheap board and cpu that they gave out to get a 100% legal copy.....
    Last edited by chew*; 10-24-2012 at 09:37 AM.
    heatware chew*
    I've got no strings to hold me down.
    To make me fret, or make me frown.
    I had strings but now I'm free.
    There are no strings on me

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post
    XP is easier to steal........that about sums it up.

People crying about losing XP probably want full support and FREE ( stolen ) win 7. It's good to bench with but XP has ran its course and win7 is actually good.....the only reason to stay xp other than benchmarks before was vista.
    I dont get it.Whats the meaning of "ran its course" ? There are many things in our lives which just work, work as we like and we do not have the need to change them.
    Win 7 is very easy to pirate, and yes with the updates too, maybe not AS easy as xp but still.
    I just dont have any reason to change my xp64 besides dx11, thats about it, i would gladly pay full win 7 price just to get dx 11 functionality and be free of all the vista quirks.Yes win 7 is just a tweaked vista, just that in the meantime hardware got faster.
    And as for the driver updates, fact that it only supports dx9 doesnt have to do with anything, a driver could be broken on dx9 title, or opengl, or some system specific etc.I have a 7, but i hate using it, however im one of those who use total commander as a main user to system gui .

Quote Originally Posted by Generic user #2 View Post
    you're ing kidding me right?

you think grandma plays games? much less updates her graphics drivers?

but yes, everyone should upgrade from XP because its security model is freaking garbage. that alone is a reason to upgrade.

The point, of course, is that they have zero need to upgrade from Windows XP. This is in response to people thinking everyone uses computers like they do.
    Some people only use their computers to write an email or use a word processor. Why in the world would they spend their social security money to upgrade?

It's like that guy on TV arguing that Post Office should close down because "he uses FedEx and UPS" therefore everyone else should use FedEx and UPS. But that's just in response to people blindly pushing others to abandon what works for them (e-mail and word processor) for no reason.

My interest is business. Like I said, I can't group files/folders under Windows 7/8 because auto-arrange is mandatory. I also listed other, less important reasons above why only Windows XP works for me. But I will have a Win7/XP/Vista/8 multi boot. AMD and nVidia should support Windows XP until 2014.

Xtreme Member
    are we not talking about gamers who choose to stay on XP and are upset at not being included in the new drivers?

I am saying 100% of gamers on XP should move to win7. You're saying that grandmas should be included in the 'gamers on XP' demographic. Grandma's do not need to upgrade (if we're not considering security consideration). Therefore, you're <100% of gamers on XP need to upgrade (diminishing the importance of upgrading by implying there are reasons not to upgrade). I am saying that grandmas should NOT be included in the demographic, therefore bringing the conclusion to: 100% of gamers on XP should move to win7.

EDIT:

but really, XP is highly susceptible to drive-bys compared to win7. that much is obvious (doesn't even microsoft even admit this?).

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post
    I do know what i'm talking about and I specified full support ( daily updates ) which can not be had on "stolen" "pirated" "hacked" or whatever you call it win 7.......not for long anyway........
    it's pretty easy, and it works 100%, with updates and all of that...
    you can install some "loader" which uses oem keys and I don't know what else in 1 minute, just do a google search, use 2 or 3 mouse clicks, and you are good to go... it's ridiculously easy.
    MS seem to have greatly improved that for Windows 8.

I just can't see piracy as a factor against Win 7...

are we not talking about gamers who choose to stay on XP and are upset at not being included in the new drivers?

I am saying 100% of gamers on XP should move to win7.
    maybe games should move from DX9 and 32bit first?
    and since games are still mostly made for 2005-2006 hardware (360, PS3) first (and even when using "DX11" for marketing don't really add much in most cases)...

Brilliant Idiot
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectrobozo View Post
    it's pretty easy, and it works 100%, with updates and all of that...
    you can install some "loader" which uses oem keys and I don't know what else in 1 minute, just do a google search, use 2 or 3 mouse clicks, and you are good to go... it's ridiculously easy.
    MS seem to have greatly improved that for Windows 8.

I just can't see piracy as a factor against Win 7...

Thats easy for you or me or the general crowd here.....not avg joe......avg joe needs a already cracked disc with a key that works no diff than lets say a corporate copy and is updateable.......and he needs his buddy to install it for him.

To my knowledge i've never seen for win 7....
    heatware chew*
    I've got no strings to hold me down.
    To make me fret, or make me frown.
    I had strings but now I'm free.
    There are no strings on me

Quote Originally Posted by c627627 View Post
    AMD and nVidia should support Windows XP until 2014.
    Why should they keep spending resources on it? The drivers already exist for XP anyway, so maybe they should just stop updating XP drivers at all and people just use what already exists.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by c627627 View Post
    The point, of course, is that they have zero need to upgrade from Windows XP. This is in response to people thinking everyone uses computers like they do.
    AMD and nVidia should support Windows XP until 2014.
    Why should they, when even Microsoft has stopped supporting it? It's an 11 year old operating system. Windows 98 support was discontinued just 6 years after its release.
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

Xtreme Member
    maybe games should move from DX9 and 32bit first?
    and since games are still mostly made for 2005-2006 hardware (360, PS3) first (and even when using "DX11" for marketing don't really add much in most cases)...
    maybe we should just all use cards from 2008 then?

I'm sorry, but this argument is a little too far out.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Why should they keep spending resources on it?
    To provide compatibility (optimize) with new games.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Lead Head View Post
    Why should they, when even Microsoft has stopped supporting it? It's an 11 year old operating system. Windows 98 support was discontinued just 6 years after its release.
    XP is not 98, 2012 is not 2006...

maybe we should just all use cards from 2008 then?

I'm sorry, but this argument is a little too far out.
    if that's what you want, you can... these cards can still offer a decent gaming experience in most cases, helped by the fact the the 2005/2006 consoles still dictates how most of the games are being made...

unfortunately moving drivers to "legacy support" don't help the HD4800 owners, but a 4800 still have more power than some $100 new cards or any "APU".

Xtreme Cruncher
    XP is not 98, 2012 is not 2006...
    What does it matter? It's still a nearly 12 year old operating system. Look at Apple, they stop supporting OS-X versions after about 4 years. Ubuntu only offers 5 years of support on their LTS releases. Technology moves too fast to keep supporting ancient software.

Trying to support legacy products on legacy operating systems just wastes resources that could otherwise be put towards improving drivers for the latest and greatest.
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

Xtreme Member
    What does it matter? It's still a nearly 12 year old operating system. Look at Apple, they stop supporting OS-X versions after about 4 years. Ubuntu only offers 5 years of support on their LTS releases. Technology moves too fast to keep supporting ancient software.

Trying to support legacy products on legacy operating systems just wastes resources that could otherwise be put towards improving drivers for the latest and greatest.
    again, we are talking about Xp and not something else, XP had an unusually long life span for many reasons, that's true... but official MS support is still going on, most (or many) hardware manufactures are still offering support for XP, and a portion of AMD cards users are still using XP, so... XP still have clearly a significant number of users, by 2006 I think 98 had a lot less relevance than XP have now

Xtreme 3D Team

Yet each new Mac OS follows the same principle and naming scheme...

Mac OS5/6/7/8/ 9 ---> Mac OS X Version X.X.X ...
    Each time since, change/add 2-3 things, tweak UI a bit, = new version...
    Same as all the iProducts like the iPhone.

It's just, OS X didn't change to something different, just gained it's own versions of a version of Mac OS...
    ...like if MS were to release Windows 7 R2, then Win 7 R2.1, then Win 7 R2.5.1...

Windows XP fundamentally was extremely stable and scalable, Windows 98 was not. Would I love it if it was no longer being used? Yeah.
    But think about it like this...

Is Ubuntu widely used in the mainstream, do most businesses use a Linux OS, not Windows? Was OSX popular with businesses, or even in households in 2001-2008?

What do many people do with their PCs, watch online videos and play flash games, which is possible on 6 year old PCs?

If you were a business, and all your office/cubible workers did were create documents, spreadsheets, powerpoints...and they could do their jobs completely fine on the PCs you bought 5 years ago, why upgrade? You wouldn't just be buying software, but hardware too...lots of $$$.
    Smile

Xtreme Cruncher
    again, we are talking about Xp and not something else, XP had an unusually long life span for many reasons, that's true... but official MS support is still going on, most (or many) hardware manufactures are still offering support for XP, and a portion of AMD cards users are still using XP, so... XP still have clearly a significant number of users, by 2006 I think 98 had a lot less relevance than XP have now
    Windows 98 support ended in 2004, not 2006. There were still A LOT of old Athlon and Pentium 3 systems running Windows 98 in 2004.

Official mainstream support for Windows XP has already ended. All support for it ends in 2014 - not even Office 2013 will support XP. It's an EoL operating system and a waste of resources to develop new product and software for it.

Quote Originally Posted by BeepBeep2 View Post
    Mac OS5/6/7/8/ 9 ---> Mac OS X Version X.X.X ...
    Each time since, change/add 2-3 things, tweak UI a bit, = new version...
    Same as all the iProducts like the iPhone.
    The "minor" number revisions have made some extensive changes. Including a complete re-write for x86 with OSX 10.5. It might as well been a new operating system.
    It's just, OS X didn't change to something different, just gained it's own versions of a version of Mac OS...
    ...like if MS were to release Windows 7 R2, then Win 7 R2.1, then Win 7 R2.5.1...
    Except Microsoft does do that. They just call them service packs. XP Service Pack 1, 2 and 3. Support for vanilla XP/SP1 was dropped all the way back in 2004.
    What do many people do with their PCs, watch online videos and play flash games, which is possible on 6 year old PCs?
    If the only thing you do is play flash games, why do you need XP drivers for that HD7970?
    If you were a business, and all your office/cubible workers did were create documents, spreadsheets, powerpoints...and they could do their jobs completely fine on the PCs you bought 5 years ago, why upgrade? You wouldn't just be buying software, but hardware too...lots of $$$.
    Well a PC that's 5 years old is probably running Windows 7 anyways. Business make software purchases based on the expected support EoL from whatever company wrote the software/operating system. They're not going to buy into an OS that's only a few years away from end of support.

If that 5-6-7 year old PC is adequate for what that company is doing, chances are it doesn't matter if support ends either.
    Last edited by [XC] Lead Head; 10-28-2012 at 05:10 PM.
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    To provide compatibility (optimize) with new games.
    If you're trying to stay on the cutting edge of new games (or anywhere even remotely close), XP isn't the operating system to be doing it with.
    The Cardboard Master
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme 3D Team
    1. The "minor" number revisions have made some extensive changes. Including a complete re-write for x86 with OSX 10.5. It might as well been a new operating system.

2. Except Microsoft does do that. They just call them service packs. XP Service Pack 1, 2 and 3. Support for vanilla XP/SP1 was dropped all the way back in 2004.

3. If the only thing you do is play flash games, why do you need XP drivers for that HD7970?

4. Well a PC that's 5 years old is probably running Windows 7 anyways. Business make software purchases based on the expected support EoL from whatever company wrote the software/operating system. They're not going to buy into an OS that's only a few years away from end of support.

5. If that 5-6-7 year old PC is adequate for what that company is doing, chances are it doesn't matter if support ends either.
    1. Okay, you're right there. Some of them made extensive changes.

2. Microsoft calls them service packs, but they don't make you pay for the next service pack, the service packs usually only contain important security updates and don't change the user experience...

3. While I know this thread is about AMD possibly "dropping" driver support for XP, it has evolved into something different...and your comment that I responded to had nothing to do with HD7970's and XP...you were talking about how you wanted people to stop using XP all together...and it wouldn't be impossible for someone to run, say an HD6450 on XP...if you look at it that way. Any idiot running a high end HD7-series GPU on XP for gaming does not represent normal intelligent individuals...

4. You would be surprised how many businesses have not moved to Windows 7...2 of the local hospitals in my area owned by Summa Healthcare still run XP throughout the building...most local public school districts in my area...I would not imagine it be radically different anywhere else.

5. Actually, it would matter a lot if support were to end. Security holes would no longer be patched and they would be forced to run a different OS to ensure maximum security and regular updates.
    Smile

XP SP1 and SP2 especially changed major parts of the OS (USB 2.0 support, larger hard drive support, totally redone wifi interface, security center, firewall...)
    The Cardboard Master

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by BeepBeep2 View Post
    2. Microsoft calls them service packs, but they don't make you pay for the next service pack, the service packs usually only contain important security updates and don't change the user experience...
    The service packs changed enough that certain programs require Service Pack 2/3 to even run. As mentioned by sparky, they completely re-did many aspects of XP.
    3. While I know this thread is about AMD possibly "dropping" driver support for XP, it has evolved into something different...and your comment that I responded to had nothing to do with HD7970's and XP...you were talking about how you wanted people to stop using XP all together...and it wouldn't be impossible for someone to run, say an HD6450 on XP...if you look at it that way. Any idiot running a high end HD7-series GPU on XP for gaming does not represent normal intelligent individuals...
    Yes, but why would you buy a new GPU for that older system? There's just no logic in it.
    4. You would be surprised how many businesses have not moved to Windows 7...2 of the local hospitals in my area owned by Summa Healthcare still run XP throughout the building...most local public school districts in my area...I would not imagine it be radically different anywhere else.
    My entire university has transitioned to 7, as well as many public school systems in my state.
    5. Actually, it would matter a lot if support were to end. Security holes would no longer be patched and they would be forced to run a different OS to ensure maximum security and regular updates.
    If they truly cared about maximum security, then Windows XP support ending wouldn't matter. They would have switched to 7 because of its vastly improved security. By the time Windows XP support goes completely out, they would have had 8 Years to upgrade.
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

Xtreme Addict
    LOL... I thought win7/8 was way to easy to crack(it's not even cracking...).
    I swear it's like they did it on purpose...

Dropping xp, it's dx9 anyways I'de say.
    Win7 is not the solution for older pc's anyways, and besides those older pc's couldn't handle the games and vga cards anyways, at least not without a psu upgrade and so on.

I really don't think this is a big deal at all.
    nVidia is dropping support for the quadro fx4000 and lower, as well as the 6800gtx, in the next major driver rev.
    Big deal?, no the current drivers even work on those cards(win7/8), so it'll be fine.

One thing is, I can't even install xp without a floppy disk so wth...
    I can mod it with winlite or whatever but when I tried it, it killed the vmr renderer and something else.
    Xp and 2003 are great os'es, but not easy to deal with on newer hardware and software.

Xtreme Addict
    LOL... I thought win7/8 was way to easy to crack(it's not even cracking...).
    I swear it's like they did it on purpose...

Win7 is not the solution for older pc's anyways, and besides those older pc's couldn't handle the games and vga cards anyways, at least not without a psu upgrade and so on.

I really don't think this is a big deal at all.
    nVidia is dropping support for the quadro fx4000 and lower, as well as the 6800gtx, in the next major driver rev.
    Big deal?, no the current drivers even work on those cards(win7/8), so it'll be fine.

One thing is, I can't even install xp without a floppy disk so wth...
    I can mod it with winlite or whatever but when I tried it, it killed the vmr renderer and something else.
    Xp and 2003 are great os'es, but not easy to deal with on newer hardware and software.

Xtreme Member
    Windows 98 support ended in 2004, not 2006. There were still A LOT of old Athlon and Pentium 3 systems running Windows 98 in 2004.

Official mainstream support for Windows XP has already ended. All support for it ends in 2014 - not even Office 2013 will support XP. It's an EoL operating system and a waste of resources to develop new product and software for it.
    XP still receive security updates all the time,
    I don't recall exactly when 98 support ended, but I remember it was less relevant and more limited than what XP is right now.
    wikipedia tells me "Microsoft ended support for Windows 98 on July 11, 2006."

Quote Originally Posted by NEOAethyr View Post

sure, no games use DX9 anymore right?

6 series from nvidia are still being supported, graphics cards from 2004 that is...
    I installed Win8 on my nforce 6100 machine and the IGP have wddm 1.2 drivers (306. something), works flawlessly, while AMD already dropped support for their Q2 2009 high end card... a 4890 will need to use wddm 1.1 drivers, catalyst 12.6 and nothing more. a card from the GF6 era have at best some 2+ years old WDDM 1.0 drivers for Vista, and you should be happy if that works.
    Last edited by Spectrobozo; 10-29-2012 at 09:14 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Not sure what you mean by that, but the gf6's are supported even in the latest beta v310.34, with wddm v1.2 support.
    Like I said before, those cards are getting dropped in the next major rev supposedly, even though the notice of this is gone from nvidia's site.

I don't mean any offense, I probably shouldn't be correcting you, it's not really that important.

Oh I'm getting confused since you said 6100 all good, but gf6 gen not good lol.
    It's the same thing lol.
    Honestly, hard to say if the drivers these days support those card's out of the box.
    Might need to ad your device id to them, not a biggy though.

This post of mine was kinda pointless lol .
    Last edited by NEOAethyr; 10-29-2012 at 01:13 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NEOAethyr View Post
    Not sure what you mean by that, but the gf6's are supported even in the latest beta v310.34, with wddm v1.2 support.
    Like I said before, those cards are getting dropped in the next major rev supposedly, even though the notice of this is gone from nvidia's site.

I don't mean any offense, I probably shouldn't be correcting you, it's not really that important.

Oh I'm getting confused since you said 6100 all good, but gf6 gen not good lol.
    It's the same thing lol.
    Honestly, hard to say if the drivers these days support those card's out of the box.
    Might need to ad your device id to them, not a biggy though.

This post of mine was kinda pointless lol .
    I think my post was not clear enough, I was just saying that current NV drivers still support cards as old as the GF6 (like the 6100), while an AMD card from that era is limited to old drivers from many years ago (and even something from 2009 is now limited to 12.6 legacy)... also doesn't look like NV will be dropping XP soon, they have a beta driver from less than a week ago for XP....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast